• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HeartGold hack: Pokemon HeartGold VX: Vanilla Expanded

Lord Pent

Vanilla Expanded hacks creator
Years
Most Pokemon hacks have a very different feel to them than the original games they are based on, due to either drastic mechanical overhauls or flashy new content. This makes it difficult for players who prefer the original feel of the games to get more out of them. Pokemon HeartGold VX was made for this kind of player; its aim is to expand the vanilla experience by adding more playable Pokemon without fundamentally changing the feel of the game.

HeartGold VX features:
- All original Pokemon from both HeartGold and SoulSilver
- Increased availability for many Pokemon, most notably including all Gen 2 Pokemon
- 109 completely new Pokemon, added based on vanilla postgame features like Hoenn/Sinnoh Sound and the swarm mechanic
- Updated teams on opponent trainers to use all new and old Pokemon
- Easier access to all necessary evolutionary items and alternate methods to get trade and Sinnoh-only evolutions
- Adjustments to the levels of Pokemon throughout the game for a smoother experience
- A complete database of everything you will want to know about the game, including a Pokemon list, encounter tables, boss teams, and other minor changes

HeartGold VX specifically does NOT feature:
- Pokemon new to Gen 4
- Moves new to Gen 4
- Items new to Gen 4
- Fairy types or other type changes
- Other excessive changes of any kind!

Pokemon HeartGold VX trailer

Downloads
Pokemon HeartGold VX

Hack tools used to make Platinum VX created by:
JackHack96
Nomura
AdAstra (LD3005)
cory1492
FAST6191
Maёl Hörz

Screenshots Gallery
Spoiler:

If I don't respond to replies within a few days, that means I haven't been on PokeCommunity. Yell at me on Twitter and I will get over here: @pentreglay

If you stream, let's play, or do any kind of public playthrough of HeartGold VX, please show me! I am always happy to see how people play my hacks!

Check out my other hacks if you like the Vanilla Expanded concept:
Pokemon FireRed VX
Pokemon Platinum VX

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 7, 2023
okay, nothing against you. But if you want something that feels like the original games, Why not just play the original games? Why are you even looking into Fangames and rom hacks at that point?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
109 "completely new" pokemon is very misleading considering they are pokemon that are present in heartgold soulsilver

Lord Pent

Years
okay, nothing against you. But if you want something that feels like the original games, Why not just play the original games? Why are you even looking into Fangames and rom hacks at that point?

I find many hacks go too far in making fanservicey changes like type changes, stat changes, level curve inflation, and adding Pokemon from future generations, which remind you too often that you are playing a fan creation rather than the real thing. I design my hacks as close as I can to be what the games would be if the original devs put more playable Pokemon in them (with my fair share of creative liberties). Plenty of people prefer the huge overhauls, but not me- I make the hacks that I want to play, and I share them for people who feel the same.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Hey, I just wanted to thank you, there aren't many hacks that try to improve the "vanilla" experience for the gen 4 games, you nailed it in both of them.
I was also wondering, how many Pokémon can you catch between this hack and your Platinum one?

Lord Pent

Years
Hey, I just wanted to thank you, there aren't many hacks that try to improve the "vanilla" experience for the gen 4 games, you nailed it in both of them.
I was also wondering, how many Pokémon can you catch between this hack and your Platinum one?

Thanks for the appreciation :)
Almost all Pokemon up to Gen 4 are included in the main games of Platinum or HeartGold VX, but there are some Pokemon still not present in either; Flygon comes to mind, the obvious starters and fossils, probably some others.
If you are asking with postgame Pokedex completion in mind, legendaries from SoulSilver and of course mythicals are missing, but every standard Pokemon is present in some capacity.

Bice

Suffer More
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Feb 11, 2024
Hi! When trying to play this hack on a 3DS via TwilightMenu++, the anti-piracy activated. Additionally, I am unable to patch an anti piracy-patched version of HG with the VX patch. Any way I can fix this?

Lord Pent

Years
Hi! When trying to play this hack on a 3DS via TwilightMenu++, the anti-piracy activated. Additionally, I am unable to patch an anti piracy-patched version of HG with the VX patch. Any way I can fix this?

I played up to Violet City with the same setup to test your problem and had one softlock with the dialogue before the catching tutorial, which didn't happen again after reloading my save. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with these issues, so you will have to experiment yourself if loading your save doesn't fix your problem.
I can give more information on my setup if needed over Discord - hat#7937

Back