• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
The problem is blue is black and white, gold has colors

yeah, well.. it's not completely true: pkmn blue images have 4 colours.
but if I have ".gif " images compatible with blue, what is the procedure to turn them into hexcode?

Example - front image of Bulbasaur in hexcode (Pokemon Blue):
Spoiler:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I was just wondering: what are people's opinions on plot-related events that can only be completed on certain days and/or at a specific time of day? I think that non-story elements such as the Lapras and the Day-of-the-Week siblings in G/S/C are cool because they can only be done at certain times and I like that exclusivity but I'm not so sure if non-optional events should only be accessible at specific times because people may not enjoy having to wait in order to progress in the story line. What does everybody else think?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I was just wondering: what are people's opinions on plot-related events that can only be completed on certain days and/or at a specific time of day? I think that non-story elements such as the Lapras and the Day-of-the-Week siblings in G/S/C are cool because they can only be done at certain times and I like that exclusivity but I'm not so sure if non-optional events should only be accessible at specific times because people may not enjoy having to wait in order to progress in the story line. What does everybody else think?

I agree, for optional events its great as it adds another aspect of challenge. But if the person has to wait for a day/time to be able to continue with the story they will probably end up just changing the time on their computer to do it quicker, so it's pointless ><. :t315:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Forced waiting for time is just annoying. The only thing that does that is a real-time strategy game and... Pokémon isn't a real-time strategy game. No thanks, 'styles.

Years
  • Seen May 14, 2012
I have a couple of question.
1) I'm working on pokemon blue: does anybody know how to insert some new sprites or replace existing sprites with other images?
2) Do you know if compression algorithm is the same in both r/b/y g/s/c? (i'm asking this because i'd like to replace some pkmn Blue sprites with pkmn Gold ones)

The problem is to find a way to compress an external image (for example a .gif or .jpeg) and transform it in hex code so that i can insert it in the rom (i'm using hexworkshop).

Thank you in advance

2) It's different.
Magicstone.de has articles about the compression used. The g/s/c one is called Grafikkomprimierung PKMN GSK (No English, translator has to be used) and the r/b/y is Grafikkomprimierung PKMN RGBY (Has English at bottom half).

Last edited:

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Magicstone.de has articles about the compression used. the r/b/y is Grafikkomprimierung PKMN RGBY (Has English at bottom half).

Yes, i know it. Tawasser translated it because I asked him to. (he was very kind to do so!!).
Anyway, I still don't understand it, probably because it's a little bit too technical for me..

Years
  • Seen May 14, 2012
Yes, i know it. Tawasser translated it because I asked him to. (he was very kind to do so!!).
Anyway, I still don't understand it, probably because it's a little bit too technical for me..
I should have noticed your signature.
I might take a good long look at this after my finals today, see if I can't get anything better.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
I have a new topic that might be worth a quick discussion.

It seems the preferred storyline is some variation of the classic Pokemon formula. You get your Pokemon, you battle gyms, you defeat an evil team, become the champion, all while completing the Pokedex, learning the value of friendship, passing go, collecting $200, yadda yadda.

Now, that's all fine and good, and we all know that. However, for a hacker attempting to spruce up the classic storyline as we know it, how far should they stray from it, in your opinion? How much is too much and how much is too little?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

It seems the preferred storyline is some variation of the classic Pokemon formula. You get your Pokemon, you battle gyms, you defeat an evil team, become the champion, all while completing the Pokedex, learning the value of friendship, passing go, collecting $200, yadda yadda.

Now, that's all fine and good, and we all know that. However, for a hacker attempting to spruce up the classic storyline as we know it, how far should they stray from it, in your opinion? How much is too much and how much is too little?

To be honest, I think Identity is a good reference point. It's a lot different from your classic Pokemon game story; some people like it, some people don't. Myself, I would keep with the classic formula, but gradually stray away. It's difficult for someone to adjust to something new, especially when they expect something different.

Anyway, I'd be chill with whatever. So long as it works, a story is a story.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I prefer stuff that doesn't stray too far from the classic storyline, but it doesn't really matter. It's not so much what's in the storyline as it is how the hacker pulls it off.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years

If you want to add a unique touch to your plot while staying close to Nintendo, here are some hints for you:

• Be creative with your characters. Adding subsequent dialogues that spice up the plot doesn't hurt.
  • Gags and puns. Intended, but not expected. You're not making a comedy film, so don't overdo it, though.
  • Twists. Does your rival turn out to be a police force secret agent? does your father prove out to be running a pokemon smuggling corporation? you have your man there.
  • Don't add a bunch of events together, unless you want to remove a portion of the gameplay (that's what Identity does). Sacrifise pokemon usage for storyline.
  • Surprise ending. One would say that it goes away from the original formula but I don't think so. While I enjoy most things in pokemon games, I get bored of becoming 'the champion' every single time. You can have a major plot web based around your ending, so think about it carefully. It can't be worse than the retail one.

Well that's all. Hope you exceed.

Years
Fire red hack

ive been looking for a hacked fire red that you can catch every POKEMON in but everyone ive asked in different sites and forums claims that its impossible for that hack to exist. well i dont like the word impossible so i hacked the fire red rom myself and added a few things. ive got 4 versions of that hack 2 that have different maps along with the original map meaning different regions different pokemon but all the same game. i need some people to test out my first version just one map but legendary pokemon are catch-able rare candies are buy-able and lets face its it wouldnt be fun if you couldnt catch ALL starter pokemon at level 60 from the start in edited maps. please contact me and let me know if your interested in this ROM. file and ill send it to you via email. its FIRE RED version with catch-able pokemon from several regions and I AM willing to customize games for people so yeah.... :]

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
ive been looking for a hacked fire red that you can catch every POKEMON in but everyone ive asked in different sites and forums claims that its impossible for that hack to exist. well i dont like the word impossible so i hacked the fire red rom myself and added a few things. ive got 4 versions of that hack 2 that have different maps along with the original map meaning different regions different pokemon but all the same game. i need some people to test out my first version just one map but legendary pokemon are catch-able rare candies are buy-able and lets face its it wouldnt be fun if you couldnt catch ALL starter pokemon at level 60 from the start in edited maps. please contact me and let me know if your interested in this ROM. file and ill send it to you via email. its FIRE RED version with catch-able pokemon from several regions and I AM willing to customize games for people so yeah.... :]
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.
All you need is A-Map and patience.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
New topic discussion: how do you think the 5th gen new Pokémon that have been revealed will affect hackers and their starters/legendaries, in a good or a bad way?

It did start with Zorua/Zoroark. But now it's gonna be more complicated. Would you like to see one of those in a hack or not and why?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Not until we know what they do. Even then, please, please, please don't put the Pokémon in unless you can also recreate their new moves.

It's no fun using Lucario with only Brick Break or Zoruark with its best attack as Slash. >_>

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Not until we know what they do. Even then, please, please, please don't put the Pokémon in unless you can also recreate their new moves.

It's no fun using Lucario with only Brick Break or Zoruark with its best attack as Slash. >_>
My point was the opposite, how do you react to pokemon that haven't been fully introduced, but put in a hack?

iTeruri

iAm
Years
I don't like it when hackers put 4 and 5th gen pokémon in their hacks. Mostly because the movesets end up all wrong (they bother putting the pokémon in, but not the attacks) and the new abilities don't work.
Take Zorua and Zoroark. Their Illusion ability won't work, but without they aren't the same.

If you have to insert a 4th/5th gen pokémon, do it right. Add their moves (with the proper effects) and their abilities (again, with the proper effects) or don't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back