• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Scripting Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
a said:
How the heck is "starting from scratch" an easier way to learn.
I never said it was easy. I'm saying that is the most beneficial method. Otherwise you don't learn anything and your ability to make something new is severely limited. My definition of "hack" means to make your own game. But if all you're doing is taking somebody else's work and copy & pasting it, you're not really hacking. I understand that hacking in its nature is taking somebody else's work and changing it but at least we're changing it! With this method, you bring nothing new to the "hack" and you, as a person, gain nothing from the exerience. That's all I'm saying.
a said:
What kind of hypocritical comment is "This is for lazy people who don't want to learn how to script".
I fail to see the hypocrisy in my statement :\

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
Years
Todoroki said:
I never said it was easy. I'm saying that is the most beneficial method. Otherwise you don't learn anything and your ability to make something new is severely limited. My definition of "hack" means to make your own game. But if all you're doing is taking somebody else's work and copy & pasting it, you're not really hacking. I understand that hacking in its nature is taking somebody else's work and changing it but at least we're changing it! With this method, you bring nothing new to the "hack" and you, as a person, gain nothing from the experience. That's all I'm saying.

I fail to see the hypocrisy in my statement :\

1) That's YOUR Definition.
2) Majority of the hacks aren't really hacking.
The main things they change are Dialogue/Text, Scripts, and Maps. I don't see how that's considered "Hacking a game" while there's more to the game then just that.
3) Nothing new? Copy and paste the script, change some dialogue, put it in a new place, BAM. Something new. Also, it's not like people are just going to copy and paste every single script from previous games. Again, thats why there are special "scripters" in a team. Thus, I highly doubt there will be a lack of originality if hackers stuck to this tutorial. There plans for a hack would most likely be impossible with the provided scripts from Firered/Emerald.
4) I believe I've made it clear that you DO Gain experience from "Script Editing" as you get familiar with the scripts. If you see a consistency each time you paste a script, you'll eventually notice one essential part of whatever you were copying, whether it be a command or simple signpost script.
5) It's a hypocritical statement because you're calling him lazy for trying to teach novices to script while you're busy criticizing him. I fail to see how he's the lazy one. He at least tried to contribute something to the Scripting Script Editing world.

Also, To the person asking for offsets and decompiling or whatever the heck you were babbling on about, I believe he clearly said he, too, was a newbie scripter. Out of all things, you decide to act foolish by pretending you were new. If you were new, you would try out these scripts and then ask questions after failing. If you were new, you would probably relize this tutorial-maker is pretty much a newb at this thing as well. If you were new, you wouldn't even know if an offset is worth mentioning. If you were new, you'd be saying hello in the welcome thread. If you were new, you'd apparently be lost, as you are now. What exactly was the point of targeting the things he hasn't fully grasped yet? That was a completely frivolous comment.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Todoroki said:
3) Nothing new? Copy and paste the script, change some dialogue, put it in a new place, BAM. Something new.
But just exactly how "new" is it if it has already been done before? True, it's "new" by definition but in the broad scheme of things, there's nothing original in copying a script.
Todoroki said:
4) I believe I've made it clear that you DO Gain experience from "Script Editing" as you get familiar with the scripts. If you see a consistency each time you paste a script, you'll eventually notice one essential part of whatever you were copying, whether it be a command or simple signpost script.
Oh forgive me. I guess you do gain experience from script editing. That's right, you learn how to press CTRL + C and CTRL +V. Whoop-dee-freakin'-doo. Do you seriously believe that people gain knowledge from copy & pasting? You say that, with time, they will figure out the critical parts of a script but to be honest, they won't. This method doesn't teach beginner scripters what each command does. How can they possibly learn what they do and don't need in order to make their script execute correctly merely from copy & pasting? I'd be much more content with this tutorial if it offered even the slightest bit of explanation of the commands. And don't try to pass Ray's half-assed (and blatantly incorrect) little command section as an explanation.
Todoroki said:
5) It's a hypocritical statement because you're calling him lazy for trying to teach novices to script while you're busy criticizing him. I fail to see how he's the lazy one. He at least tried to contribute something to the Scripting Script Editing world.
I believe I already explained this to the last person who got mad at me for criticizing another "tutorial" but basically, I have nothing valuable to contribute to this community. The vast majority of the knowledge I have on ROM Hacking can already be found in various tutorials around the site. Just because I don't write tutorials doesn't mean I'm ignorant. In fact, I'd say I'm more mature than this guy because I can realize when I have nothing to teach. On top of that, I'm terrible at explaining things and, once again, I am aware of it and I can admit it.

HentaiHentai

Banned
Years
HAHAHAHAHA
Im arguing...because i can.
This is lame.
It teaches nothing.
Oh look

#dynamic 0x....

#org @main
msgbox @hello 0x2
end

#org @hello
= Hello.

-----

Wow...that was hard.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Oh,please!This is not a tutorial to teach you scritping,this is a tutorial to teach you the Quick scripting method.Now,stop arguing with negative posts,there are normal people who like it out there.

Taz Maverick

Inactive
Years
Just stop listening to them.They're jealous that you fond that way of scripting.
And now,you can call yourself a 'script editor' if not a scripter.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Oh,please!This is not a tutorial to teach you scritping,this is a tutorial to teach you the Quick scripting method.Now,stop arguing with negative posts,there are normal people who like it out there.
That's because I have noticed that whenever someone disagrees with you on anything, Ray, you always say their "not normal" or "Don't know what they're talking about". I never said, also, that this wasn't good for starters, but according to hackmew, editing scripts can be a harmful process, and if they get use to this, they will have a hard time making a hack. Not negative. Critic.

EDIT:You should change the title, Quick Scripting Method...it's not very attractive (and is kind of misleading), more like Script Editing Tutorial or Editing Scripts or Recreating Pokemon Game Scripts

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Ok,Machomuu,you are a normal person.But everyone misunderstood that method.
If you get to see scripting commands from other advanced scripts,you learn them,and you use them in the future.That's how i'll learn scripting.Besides,tell me why it is a harmful process.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
pls stop it, this is going to be a war thread..

back to topic:
don't be too hard on Ray, his trying his best to teach newbies.. actually, I learned scripting this way at first, then i tried different stuff, changing them bit-by-bit until you can improve..like, when you map, you change small things from an existing map, then modify it bit-by-bit until you see the big difference.. got what i mean? :P

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
There!That's exatcly what i mean.I'll stop that war,you're right.So

No negative posts from now on,only PMs

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
[off-topic]It's times like these when I wish I was a mod so I can close this thread so people would stop posting walls of text trying to prove a point that no one really cares about... nothing any of you are posting about has any direct relevance to the topic at hand. All I can say is, please try to post in relevance to the thread.
[/off topic]

And now, I gotta say, this is a nice way to make little ROM edits, for people who do that sort of thing, and I suppose it can actually help people learn the commands in XSE, sure scripting from scratch is a more beneficial method, but this helps people struggling to understand some parts of scripting, to understand them.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
500th post!

Huh?You're talking like a mod.

[off-topic]Nah, I'm not going to deliberately TRY to be a mod, but you know, I don't like things getting out of hand, cause that is just the way I am, I always try my best to stick to the forum rules. Of course, far be it from me to try and stop myself from ever becoming a mod, but if I get picked, I guess that would be cool.

But yeah, just report people who are doing nothing but flaming, people can disagree all they want, but if it is not even related to the thread, just report the post...[off-topic]

Believe it or not, I started out hacking like this... only it was with a hex editor, and the database file for ScriptEd... I wish this was around back then, it would have made more sense... specially since I had the hardest time figuring out what an 'offset' was, so I just edited the scripts already in game... heh...

EDIT: 500th post! WOOT!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Even the great Om3a was(almost) using my method!!!haha.
Well,i would like to be a mod too,it's cool,but i'm too bad,and i want revenge many times.So i'd use my powers as a mod to close threads,delete posts etc. and that is bad.

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
HAHAHA!!!Eat this,everyone.Even the great Om3a was(almost) using my method!!!haha.
Well,i would like to be a mod too,it's cool,but i'm too bad,and i want revenge many times.So i'd use my powers as a mod to close threads,delete posts etc. and that is bad.

Heh, yeah, you gotta be fair to everyone to be a mod, but this mod talk is off topic, so we should change the subject back to the thread.

I hope no one gives you any more trouble about your tut here, take care!

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
I think HackMew has already incorporated this into XSE..It's called Script Templates, if I'm not mistaken.
This quick method of yours, is just a layout to me. It's not for lazy hackers, but let's just say you have a date to finish your hack, I would love for there to be a quick way to script, but I always do more than "wanted" to perfect my scripts. No one wants to rush, right? I think these layouts would prevent errors, since you're copying error free scripts and modifying them.

...So this really wouldn't help me out, but I see how it can help. Keep up the good work, more people like you (the kind that love to help) should be around. I also think that people, that take the time to learn scripting but something is preventing them from grasping it fully, should use these methods. As a guide =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back