• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2009
I would like to make something simple for a beginning, and I think I've found something not very challenging, but still good enough. I want to make ??? type into "Cosmic". I'd need to change the images that contain the type's name, and change types of few moves. Also, change weaknesses and strengths of this particular type. I know how to change types of Pokes themselves, but could you help me with the rest? What tools to use, what would be the best for what I want to do?
Thanks in advanced.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2016
I have a question. In No$gba, HG slows a damn lot when doing things in the PC, going to Pokethlon, etc etc. Anyone knows why and if there's a way to fix it?

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
I have a question. In No$gba, HG slows a damn lot when doing things in the PC, going to Pokethlon, etc etc. Anyone knows why and if there's a way to fix it?
What are your CPU specs? do you use a laptop? if so, change your Performance to maximum.
You might improve it a lilttle bit if you try setting the renderer to nocash and changing the frameskip settings.

Aside of that, DeSMuME is a good choice. But if your PC can handle it.

~Credit google once again~

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2009
Whenever I edit text using Advance Text in FireRed, it seems fine but when I actually play the game, it will restart whenever you click on your Trainer Card or the Pokedex. I have a backup copy of this rom from before the text edits, and everything is fine there. So um... I have no idea, how do I prevent this from happening?

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Whenever I edit text using Advance Text in FireRed, it seems fine but when I actually play the game, it will restart whenever you click on your Trainer Card or the Pokedex. I have a backup copy of this rom from before the text edits, and everything is fine there. So um... I have no idea, how do I prevent this from happening?
Use a Hex editor with a table file to edit text.
A-text is to buggy =/

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I would like to make something simple for a beginning, and I think I've found something not very challenging, but still good enough. I want to make ??? type into "Cosmic". I'd need to change the images that contain the type's name, and change types of few moves. Also, change weaknesses and strengths of this particular type. I know how to change types of Pokes themselves, but could you help me with the rest? What tools to use, what would be the best for what I want to do?
Thanks in advanced.

Use Unlz-GBA to edit the images...
Use A-tack(you can get it at WAH) to edit moves...

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2010
I'm scripting in XSE (hacking FR) at the moment and I'd be grateful for a bit of help.
Nothing big, I'd just like a few questions answered.

1. There are lists in the tutorials containing all flags already used. Unfortunately, neither of the lists I saw also tells us what each flag is used for. Is there such a list? If so, where?
2. I'd like to create a script, that is executed the very moment the game starts. In other words, I want the script to be initiated as soon as a new game is started and the usual blather of whatever professor greets you (in FR Oak) has ended. How would I go about that?
3. I'm also looking for a script that allows me to change the overworld sprites in game. Meaning I'd like to be able to "dress" differently, similar to the "dressing" done before the competitions in the newer games. What do I have to do?
4. According to a tutorial, "call 0x1A74EB" triggers the nicknaming of a [the first one, apparently] pokemon. Is there a list of all the (or the most common) offsets already used and the function they trigger? If so, where?

Thanking for your answers in advance.
I'd really like those questions answered.
I'm also adding some more to the list:
5. When I'm testing this map: img195.imageshack.us/img195/9368/mapproblem11.jpg
following happens: img44.imageshack.us/img44/3802/mapproblem12.jpg
(can post neither urls nor imgs yet, so this'll have to do)
Why is that?
6. How do I make the map appear correctly? (without these chaotic tiles outside the map)
7. How do I get rid of the arrow that shows up whenever I'm looking down and that is supposed to show up but at the warp point?

8. Speaking of A-map, what is the "unknown" number used for that is set to 03 for most person sprite?
9. Is there a list of what value is used for what purpose? I noticed that the unknown of the head of the Pokefanclub in Orania City and the person next to him, for example, is set to 04 and the unknown of the other two persons, for example, is set to 00, although I fail to see what difference it makes ingame. (BTW: example from FR map 9.3)

That's all for now.
Thanks in advance.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I'm scripting in XSE (hacking FR) at the moment and I'd be grateful for a bit of help.
Nothing big, I'd just like a few questions answered.

1. There are lists in the tutorials containing all flags already used. Unfortunately, neither of the lists I saw also tells us what each flag is used for. Is there such a list? If so, where?
2. I'd like to create a script, that is executed the very moment the game starts. In other words, I want the script to be initiated as soon as a new game is started and the usual blather of whatever professor greets you (in FR Oak) has ended. How would I go about that?
3. I'm also looking for a script that allows me to change the overworld sprites in game. Meaning I'd like to be able to "dress" differently, similar to the "dressing" done before the competitions in the newer games. What do I have to do?
4. According to a tutorial, "call 0x1A74EB" triggers the nicknaming of a pokemon. Is there a list of all the (or the most common) offsets already used and the function they trigger? If so, where?

Thanking for your answers in advance.
1. Not to my knowledge.
2. Look into level scripts - check the documents and tutorials section.
3. One of the ROM Hacking Weekly issues had a method that I created - Sebbe wrote the article, though - or you can check out the the FireRed Hacked Engine in the toolbox.
4. Not to my knowledge. Although HackMew did rip every script from all the games a while back.
I'd really like those questions answered.
I'm also adding some more to the list:
5. When I'm testing this map: img195.imageshack.us/img195/9368/mapproblem11.jpg
following happens: img44.imageshack.us/img44/3802/mapproblem12.jpg
(can post neither urls nor imgs yet, so this'll have to do)
Why is that?
6. How do I make the map appear correctly? (without these chaotic tiles outside the map)
7. How do I get rid of the arrow that shows up whenever I'm looking down and that is supposed to show up but at the warp point?

8. Speaking of A-map, what is the "unknown" number used for that is set to 03 for most person sprite?
9. Is there a list of what value is used for what purpose? I noticed that the unknown of the head of the Pokefanclub in Orania City and the person next to him, for example, is set to 04 and the unknown of the other two persons, for example, is set to 00, although I fail to see what difference it makes ingame. (BTW: example from FR map 9.3)

That's all for now.
Thanks in advance.
5. Certain tiles have an in-built script to show arrows, just use a different tile.
6. Change the "Border Tile" in advance map to something that isn't the first tiles in the tileset.
7. See the answer to question 5.
8. I have no clue, sorry.
9. It's probably called 'unknown' for a reason.

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2010
1. Not to my knowledge.
2. Look into level scripts - check the documents and tutorials section.
3. One of the ROM Hacking Weekly issues had a method that I created - Sebbe wrote the article, though - or you can check out the the FireRed Hacked Engine in the toolbox.
4. Not to my knowledge. Although HackMew did rip every script from all the games a while back.

5. Certain tiles have an in-built script to show arrows, just use a different tile.
6. Change the "Border Tile" in advance map to something that isn't the first tiles in the tileset.
7. See the answer to question 5.
8. I have no clue, sorry.
9. It's probably called 'unknown' for a reason.

1. Rats. Oh well, hacks can still be done without. And the most important flags can be found in tutorials ... although these "most important ones" are pretty much limited to badges, first pokemon and pokedex. Thanks, though.
2. I will. Thanks.
3. THANKS!!
(found in Issue 17, if someone else needs it: pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4216237&postcount=300 I'd post it as a link but as mentioned before, I can't yet.)
4. Thought not. Thanks, though.
5-8. Thanks.
9. Of course it is. I just thought it is because of what it is used for, not because the one(s) making the tool didn't know its purpose...

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2010
anybody know why, after replacing the rival in the intro of fire red, the pallettes might become messed up, but only if you choose one gender over the other?

i replaced my rival pic, i edited the pal, but now when i choose male, a gray color on the rival becomes a yellowish thing and it messes the whole thing up. but only if i choose male...

anyone know why this is?

does the game call a diff pallette if you choose a different gender? so do i have to edit both? whats the deal with that?

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
im learning to hack, i started with fire red, and now this just came to me, how do you change the text in the help menu?

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2016
What are your CPU specs? do you use a laptop? if so, change your Performance to maximum.
You might improve it a lilttle bit if you try setting the renderer to nocash and changing the frameskip settings.

Aside of that, DeSMuME is a good choice. But if your PC can handle it.

~Credit google once again~
My specs are:
Core 2 duo, 1.86GHz
2GB RAM
Geforce 9500 GT (maybe it's 9500+ if there's such a thing, can't remember)

Anyways, it's not THAT much of a bad computer. Outside of buildings, No$ would run it on over 115%. Desmume would run it on somewhere between 70-90%. The problem is when I get to things like PC or Pokethlon, where everything slowly drops to 30%. By the way, it never happens with Desmume, though Desmume runs slower than No$gba overall so i'd prefer to stay with No$ until a new ver comes out. Oh, btw, it never happens with the PC in DPPt. I guess it's some bug in No$ for the new touch-screen features.

TheDon

Shedinja Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 25, 2018
Another question (I'm full of them lol).

Can you use the same script for more than one scripting tile in AdvanceMap without conflict? I wanna put some sprites on the map, and have them disappear after I step onto a scripting tile, but to cover the area that I want it to trigger from, I'll need more than one scripting tile. Can I use the same script for each of them without messing anything up?

Samike360

Lover of May
Years
Another question (I'm full of them lol).

Can you use the same script for more than one scripting tile in AdvanceMap without conflict? I wanna put some sprites on the map, and have them disappear after I step onto a scripting tile, but to cover the area that I want it to trigger from, I'll need more than one scripting tile. Can I use the same script for each of them without messing anything up?

Yes. You can. You might want to have different scripts so you can adjust movements, though, but dissapearing sprites should be no problem.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2009
I got some 2 questions here so please help

Is there a way to add new attacks in Pokemon Emerald and if yes could you tell me how?
Ive read some threads here and they said its possible by repointing or with Hexeditor but I dont know about repointing and how its done
And if it is possible how can I make the new attack's animation

Thanks for your help I hope anyone can help me with this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back