• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you have all type strengths and weaknesses memorized?

Years
I feel awful that I've not remembered all of the fairy type strengths and weaknesses yet even though the type was introduced in X&Y, and that I'm still not used to the changes made to the steel type. It just doesn't seem to stick. ):

How are you with memorizing type advantages?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I'm lucky I can remember what I have to do at work...lol. I can only remember the obvious ones like grass is weak to fire kinda ones.

the_fast_reader

Overanalyzing Pokemon for 20 years
Years
I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple resistances that got removed/changed to dark and steel in the last generatios... otherwise I think I remember them pretty well.

I forget resistances more than weaknesses because weaknesses tend to make more sense logically.
One think that helps me nail them down is the a possible reason for that weakness/resistance, especially the less obvious ones.

Fairy types for examples are weak to poison and steel because they are based on a whole lot of mythological creatures and folklore from various cultures: fairies, gnomes, leprechauns, banshee... most of these have myths about them on how to ward them off, the most common ones being wearing something made of iron or various erbs (of which some were poisonous).
I love to read little things like that and if it helps me remember something even better

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I don't have all of them memorized, no. Sometimes I forget a couple here and there. Generation VI makes it a little harder sometimes, too, consider more than just Fairy added new weaknesses and strengths, honestly. I believe Steel lost two resistances, but that doesn't always cross my mind.

Sorvete

Novice
Years
I've played Pokémon so much in the past that I know them all from the top of my head, yes lol. It's definitely easier than having all moves or something crazy like that memorized.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 7, 2019
I try my best to have them memorized, but sometimes I forget certain resistances.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple resistances that got removed/changed to dark and steel in the last generatios... otherwise I think I remember them pretty well.

I forget resistances more than weaknesses because weaknesses tend to make more sense logically.
One think that helps me nail them down is the a possible reason for that weakness/resistance, especially the less obvious ones.

Fairy types for examples are weak to poison and steel because they are based on a whole lot of mythological creatures and folklore from various cultures: fairies, gnomes, leprechauns, banshee... most of these have myths about them on how to ward them off, the most common ones being wearing something made of iron or various erbs (of which some were poisonous).
I love to read little things like that and if it helps me remember something even better

Definitely with you on the resistances. Some resistances I fail to understand the logic behind and some I just forget!

Oh yeah, I know all of them off the top of my head, hehe. I learned them pretty early on actually, back around the DPP days not long after I first started getting into Pokemon.

DPP was my very first pokemon game that I owned and played!

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
yeah, I do have them memorized. kinda forced myself to, especially when I was getting more into the competitive scene years back.

Years
have them memorized yeah. but at first, fairy confused me several times. (i first thought fire was also super-effective against fairy :p)
there are moments of brain-fart though, especially when you're playing online

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
i know i mostly do, only ones i sometimes mess up is with dark cuz i keep forgetting that they are weak to fighting and bug, and fairy because i haven't truly gotten used to how many there are in the games. Other than that most of them are easy to remember so long as you play the game and try moves out on other pokemon and basically throw stuff at a wall till one sticks and is super effective.

Last edited:
Back