• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Best Team for R/B/Y

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Feel free to post what you feel is the best team for Generation 1. My picks are slightly biased towards Yellow version where the moves Pokemon can learn are different(Ex: Charizard being able to learn Fly). Anyways, before I list my top 6, I disqualified Legendary Pokemon(Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno, Mewtwo and Mew) and a few "quasi-Legendary" Pokemon(Anything 450 or above on this list. Pretty much Arcanine, Lapras, Exeggutor, Cloyster(yes Cloyster), Gyrados, Tauros and Dragonite).

Top 6 according to me(CodeHelmet):

1) Pikachu/Raichu. This pick is largely influenced by Yellow version where Pikachu is your starter and I know that Jolteon(stat-wise) is just better. However, in Yellow version, Pikachu's learnset is just superior than its Red/Blue counterparts by being able to learn Double Team at 15 and Thunderbolt naturally at 26! Even then, I like Pikachu/Raichu on Red/Blue due to how early one can catch one in Viridian Forest. That allows you to use it for several rival battles(including Route 22 if you backtrack) and for Misty(a huge plus) whereas Jolteon comes much later. Competitively Jolteon is the better option but for single player gameplay, Pikachu/Raichu is really, really good.

2) Ninetales. Disclaimer: Vulpix(and its evolved form) are my #1 and #2 favorite Pokemon respectively. Despite that, Ninetales is a pretty strong Fire Type for Generation 1. The popular pick here would be Charizard and while Ninetales doesn't have Flying Typing(thereby making it immune to Earthquake and Dig), it takes solace in not having a x4 from Rock(has x2 though), x2 from Ice and x2 from Electric. Furthermore its speed is equitable to Charizard and has a much stronger Special(hence better Flamethrower!).

3) Tentacruel. I must confess I've never used this Pokemon in a run yet(might change in the next run I do) but this Pokemon probably doesn't get the attention it deserves due to its Typing(Water/Poison). However, you will find no other Water Type with a better Special, hence Surf and other Special moves really do hurt and its speed is 2nd only to Starmie for Water Types.

4) Sandslash. Being a pure Ground Type, its weakness is only to Grass/Water/Ice(and only x2 and not x4 like other Ground Types due to having a secondary Typing). Although its learnset leaves much to be desired with regards to Ground Type moves(must teach it Earthquake and/or Dig), it learns Slash, Sand Attack and Swift(three quality moves). Its speed is also respectable for a Ground Type while boasting a formidable Attack and Defense.

5) Venusaur. This one was really easy given that it learns a particular move in Leech Seed. Being able to exploit Toxic and this lone move along with Growth and my favorite Grass move in Razor Leaf makes this Pokemon a solid option and best Grass Type under the circumstances. Exeggutor is the other option here but it has a 455 base stat(hence is quasi-Legendary).

6) Gengar I couldn't go without naming this Ghost Pokemon. Although Ghost moves are complete crap on Generation 1, what makes this Pokemon so worthwhile is its Speed and Special stat. Furthermore, if you give it an Evasion move like Double Team, you're all but impossible to hit since Swift won't work on the Gastly line :)

Honorable mentions:

Slowbro: Tied with Parasect and Lickitung for slowest Pokemon in the game but what it lacks in speed it makes up for in power and Typing. It naturally learns Amnesia, multiplying its base Special of 80 by a factor of 4 after 3 uses and being a Water/Psychic type makes Surf and Psychic(which gain STAB) scary powerful.

Vaporeon: 130 HP stat along with a 110 Special, this Pokemon can be a sheer Tank if allowed to power up its Defense with Acid Armor. Plus with Water STAB and naturally learning an Ice Move in Aurora Beam, this Eevolution can sweep teams.

Pidgeot: Favorite Flying Type with balanced stats to go with it. Only drawback is lacking Drill Peck but can be caught early and can learn Sand Attack(a move that is not to be underestimated).

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Depends. Is this for the Main Game or Competitive battling?

It can be both but basically, which 6 Pokemon do you think are the best team? You can have legendaries but I narrowed it down by putting a cap on base stats since the vast majority are less than 450.

Years
For the main game (Yellow) I just got lazy and raised a Nidoking with Horn Drill.

Maybe next playthrough of Gen 1 I'll get a team going and get back to you here.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 14, 2018
Is there a reason you didn't include Alakazam or Hypno? They can be very valuable contributions to any run especially since they will easily take care off the abundance of poison type Pokemon with ease.

Hypno might be a bit better because he learns Headbutt naturally.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Is there a reason you didn't include Alakazam or Hypno? They can be very valuable contributions to any run especially since they will easily take care off the abundance of poison type Pokemon with ease.

Hypno might be a bit better because he learns Headbutt naturally.

First off its just a list. I'm not a fan of Psychic Pokemon due to the inherent imbalance Generation 1 has towards Psychic Types. Ghost Pokemon can't touch them(was fixed in Generation 2) and Bug Types are pure $h$% in Generation 1. Only Pokemon that really gives Psychic Types pause are Jolteon and/or Pokemon with strong attack stats(Rhydon, Dragonite, Arcanine, Flareon, etc.). If there was ever a contest on Generation 1 and I mean a fair one, Psychic Types would likely be banned or limited to Psychic Types with a secondary typing(like Starmie, Slowbro and Exeggutor).

Could I have Psychic Types on the list? Most certainly and heck they could single handedly beat the game for you due to that inherent advantage over Poison, Ghost(since Ghost can't touch you and has Poison Typing) and Fighting. I just choose not to and you're welcome to post your own team.

Back