• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Anyways, I'm probably going to have to charge my phone overnights now.. I left it running at near full battery overnight and now it was near empty battery when I woke up. My iPod Touch nor my tablet discharge that quickly at all.

Smartphone batteries are only so big.

It's strange to have the battery drain so quickly, though. Even my 900 only drains about 20% overnight on a bad day. How good is the signal in your room? Are you able to use Wi-Fi?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I find it strange that my handphone battery was running out too fast when I was going online just some minutes with my phone, playing videos and all, that I have decided to buy a better battery, and it's worth it.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
That said, seeing as the Nokia Lumia 520's battery is user-replaceable, Zach, you might want to get a spare battery and cycle between them. Or carry one extra. You never know when you might need one.

Years
Well, maybe I exaggerated a little on it draining to near bottom overnight, but it drained quite a bit. I only use wifi and cell service on it, and nothing more. And bluetooth is enabled as well.

Also, I can't use 4G or any sort of network data on it (just yet) because it's not a part of my plan.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Well, maybe I exaggerated a little on it draining to near bottom overnight, but it drained quite a bit. I only use wifi and cell service on it, and nothing more. And bluetooth is enabled as well.

Also, I can't use 4G or any sort of network data on it (just yet) because it's not a part of my plan.

Try checking out the Battery Saver section in Settings. It's been around since Windows Phone 7.5. Battery statistics and runtime estimations are there. You can also configure it to conserve battery power if you wish. You could, for example, permanently run it in Battery Saver, or maybe turn it on only when the battery hits 20% or lower.

Also, check out advanced Wi-Fi settings. You might want to allow the Wi-Fi connection to stay permanently on for background processes to take advantage of.

Your phone is HSPA+ capable, up to 21 Mbps. Even though it's not 4G LTE, it's still extremely fast for a $100 phone, let alone a $40 phone. For comparison, my Nokia Lumia 900 is capable of the highest-speed HSPA+ configuration at 42 Mbps. Some phones still ship with a "slow" HSPA modem which can do up to 7.2 Mbps.

Years
It's up to 97% battery now.. and yes I did turn on the battery saver. I found that option upon first using the phone. I guess it was the Bluetooth that took my battery down. I've since disabled that so I'll see how it goes.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Yeah, do what Twiggy said, and turn off the WiFi if you don't need it. I mean wifi isn't like 3G/4G were you can access it everywhere, why leave it on? Also have the screen brightness as comfortably low you can, that saves battery as well.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Yeah, do what Twiggy said, and turn off the WiFi if you don't need it. I mean wifi isn't like 3G/4G were you can access it everywhere, why leave it on? Also have the screen brightness as comfortably low you can, that saves battery as well.

Actually, leaving Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on should have negligible impact on battery life on modern devices. These radios should go to a very low-power state if need be. Turning on Wi-Fi permanently might even help improve battery life should cell reception prove unreliable.

It's a better idea to leave the display brightness set automatically. Did you know that the brightness level selector becomes the brightness cap when the display brightness is set to automatically adjust on a WIndows Phone? If you see yourself using the phone outdoors, I'd suggest leaving the display brightness level at high, and then turn on automatic adjustment.

Starry Windy

Years
Did you know that the brightness level selector becomes the brightness cap when the display brightness is set to automatically adjust on a WIndows Phone? If you see yourself using the phone outdoors, I'd suggest leaving the display brightness level at high, and then turn on automatic adjustment.

Now I'm wondering if I can find some good software for my Froyo (2.2) Android phone that can adjust brightness automatically, I don't see that feature on my phone.

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Benchmarks rarely mean noticeable decreases. I've been running avast for 2 months now, switched from MSE, and I haven't noticed Windows 8 64-bit slow down in the slightest. However, if you really want a paid AV, Kaspersky is likely lighter than Norton.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Now I'm wondering if I can find some good software for my Froyo (2.2) Android phone that can adjust brightness automatically, I don't see that feature on my phone.

For a device to be able to automatically adjust the display brightness without relying on a timetable and being rather hokey, the device needs an ambient light sensor (ALS). I find it a good thing that ALS are mandatory on Windows Phones.

Benchmarks rarely mean noticeable decreases. I've been running avast for 2 months now, switched from MSE, and I haven't noticed Windows 8 64-bit slow down in the slightest. However, if you really want a paid AV, Kaspersky is likely lighter than Norton.

I pay significant attention to boot speeds these days. Most antimalware solutions do fine handling real-time file access during normal us. However, not many do too well when it comes to minimizing the boot time impact. You'd be surprised who's the lightest these days when it comes to staying away from impacting the Windows boot performance.

Boot performance is one of these things that everyone can see, and it should be kept as high as possible. For that, anything to prevent excessively long boots is a plus.

Last edited:

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
For a device to be able to automatically adjust the display brightness without relying on a timetable and being rather hokey, the device needs an ambient light sensor (ALS). I find it a good thing that ALS are mandatory on Windows Phones.

I pay significant attention to boot speeds these days. Most antimalware solutions do fine handling real-time file access on boot, however, not many do too well when it comes to minimizing the boot time impact. You'd be surprised who's the lightest these days when it comes to staying away from impacting the Windows boot performance.

Boot performance is one of these things that everyone can see, and it should be kept as high as possible. For that, anything to prevent excessively long boots is a plus.
It certainly didn't affect my system as much as lifehacker is showing, but my SSD might have something to do with it.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It certainly didn't affect my system as much as lifehacker is showing, but my SSD might have something to do with it.

Perhaps, but I'm running hybrid. :)

Anything to shave off boot times, even if just a few seconds, is a big plus. I should stop plushifying all the "plus"es

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Unfortunately, finding much compatible with a Froyo phone these days is difficult... and if you don't have a light sensor for auto brightness you're doubly screwed. :P

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Sometimes things like these make you wish Android in general had stricter hardware requirements.

Starry Windy

Years
Really? I think if Android is stricter, it would be like Blackberry that time, which if someone have it, he/she would be considered elite... at least in my country.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Really? I think if Android is stricter, it would be like Blackberry that time, which if someone have it, he/she would be considered elite... at least in my country.

I still see the occasional BlackBerry user on the bus in Singapore. Most people have moved on to iOS, Android, or Windws Phone, though, for smartphone users.

Years
I guess Android does have more laid back hardware requirements.. I found a ROM on XDA that allowed for Jellybean 4.1.1 to run on an HTC Droid Eris, which dates back to 2009. Jeez.

Of course the ROM was laggy on the phone though :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back