• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Official Pokemon tournaments entry fee gets even more expensive

Years
Very lately, it was announced that the price to enter an official Pokemon tournament has increased. It isn't the first time this happened: originally they were free, they they came to cost 20$ from 2016 and from this year it costs 70$ for the lowest level of the event.

The article would include:
- a very brief introduction featuring the last biggest tournament in London
- history of pokemon tournament prices
- focusing on the increased price and talking about pros and mainly cons, quoting Wolfey Glick's tweets, world champion in 2016 and for now one of the competitive players that seems to be talking the most about this
- speculating on the possibility that this could be an ongoing trend

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
+1 But I did bring up the idea, haha. I like the layout though! Unsure about any real pros though. Pokemon is rich enough to cover costs here, surely, especially from merch sales at stuff like Worlds and the advertising.

I deifnitely feel there is scope for some opinion here on our end. By going from free to significantly more than the cost of the game(s) used to participate in the event itself, it is becoming much less accessible. I also will highlight this article that can be linked to in the article: https://daily.pokecommunity.com/201...erience-at-the-pokemon-oceania-championships/
However, the cost is something I believe should be addressed. Perhaps it is the literal price one must pay for good organisation and some enticing prize money, but I know that it was a barrier for several players who would have been otherwise interested, notwithstanding the need to commit to three full days of play if successful in reaching the top two. $15 (AUD) for spectators was at least offset by a nice lanyard and card, and two packets of TCG cards, which are neat even for those who don't play the Pokémon card game. $60 for Masters players ($30 for Seniors and Juniors) is less justified because the amount is potentially greater than the price paid of the video games used to participate!
These prices were in AUD btw, so keep that in mind.

[Zach also did a +1 in discord, so... approved, but more discussion/input welcome!]

Back