Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

TrollandToad.com

Old June 8th, 2015 (3:52 PM). Edited June 8th, 2015 by Starmytes.
Fabulous Fruit

Nature: Modest
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShyRayq View Post
    To change types, yes you go to that Pokemon's data and change the type. You can either go to that Pokemon's type in a hex editor (not UnLZ.GBA, that only edits images and palettes) or you can use the programs G3HS or G3T using the offset changes I list in the last part of the tutorial.
    You do the same thing for attacks, just go to the attack's data in a hex editor instead.
    YAPE is okay for basic editing, but it's a bit unstable when you change the amount of the types there are, so don't use it for that. And no, A-Tak doesn't work with expanded types, or expanded moves either. For a program, G3T is your best bet.
    Thank you for helping I appreciate it!
    I've gone ahead and downloaded G3T, it looks like a cool program <3

I've finished all 3 steps in the tutorial but haven't tested anything yet, I gone to the offsets given to change Pokemon types and move types but both bring me to an offset that's just 00's, I'm not sure what to do with it... xD

Questions:
    1. How would I go about editing the "ini" in G3T so that I could just switch moves and Pokemon types to Fairy instead of finding them in HxD?
    The offsets given in the tutorial bring you to a string of code with a bunch of 00's in it, idk what to do with them
    I've been trying to get G3T to work for that stuff instead:

I've gone into the ini included in the G3T folder and edited "typenames" under "[BPRE]name = Pokemon FireRed (E)" with the offset where I pasted and added fairy typing's name @"0x802610". "numberoftypes" has been changed to 24 since I've only added one new type. However when I go to the drop box after saving the ini fairy type isn't an option...
    I also checked my hex editor in G3T and my edits done in HxD are there, so they aren't missing. Suggestions?

2. I'm not including a physical / special split in my game, how would I make it so the moves that belong to my new typing "Fairy" are all special?
    (Is this a step in editing the moves themselves? / When you add new moves or edit moves can you switch them from physical / special / neither etc?)

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 8th, 2015 (9:47 PM).
    Unprofessional Unprofessional

Nature: Adamant
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Starmytes View Post
      Questions:
      1. How would I go about editing the "ini" in G3T so that I could just switch moves and Pokemon types to Fairy instead of finding them in HxD?
      The offsets given in the tutorial bring you to a string of code with a bunch of 00's in it, idk what to do with them
      I've been trying to get G3T to work for that stuff instead:

I've gone into the ini included in the G3T folder and edited "typenames" under "[BPRE]name = Pokemon FireRed (E)" with the offset where I pasted and added fairy typing's name @"0x802610". "numberoftypes" has been changed to 24 since I've only added one new type. However when I go to the drop box after saving the ini fairy type isn't an option...
      I also checked my hex editor in G3T and my edits done in HxD are there, so they aren't missing. Suggestions?

2. I'm not including a physical / special split in my game, how would I make it so the moves that belong to my new typing "Fairy" are all special?
      (Is this a step in editing the moves themselves? / When you add new moves or edit moves can you switch them from physical / special / neither etc?)
      1. What do you mean 'a string of 00s'? If you followed the tutorial and noted down all of your offsets, then they shouldn't be filled with 00s, but with..tables or data.
      About the name thing, double check your offset and the data there. Do the other type names work? If so, count how many names come between 'Dark' and 'Fairy' in your hex editor. If you accidentally went to 25, change it back to 24. If the offset is wrong, change it. Anything else and you'll have to be a bit more specific.

2. The only way to edit it to special is with the physical/special split. Without it, I don't quite know what would happen since I haven't actually tried it. I suspect it'll automatically go to physical.
      Living Pokedex Complete: LG, E, Pl, B, B2, Y, OR, M
      Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1 and ~RNC~

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
      Old June 9th, 2015 (5:14 AM). Edited June 9th, 2015 by Starmytes.
      Fabulous Fruit

Quote:
        1. What do you mean 'a string of 00s'? If you followed the tutorial and noted down all of your offsets, then they shouldn't be filled with 00s, but with..tables or data.
        About the name thing, double check your offset and the data there. Do the other type names work? If so, count how many names come between 'Dark' and 'Fairy' in your hex editor. If you accidentally went to 25, change it back to 24. If the offset is wrong, change it. Anything else and you'll have to be a bit more specific.

2. The only way to edit it to special is with the physical/special split. Without it, I don't quite know what would happen since I haven't actually tried it. I suspect it'll automatically go to physical.
        Edit: So I retried on a new rom and this time G3T recognizes Fairy type!

However the rom won't play... it goes black at the title screen

Old June 9th, 2015 (8:41 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Starmytes View Post
          Edit: So I retried on a new rom and this time G3T recognizes Fairy type!

However the rom won't play... it goes black at the title screen
          Check the size of your rom in a hex editor. Maybe you went over 16mb. If you rom goes past 1000000+, then you most likely, when pasting tables in free space, you pasted them into spaces smaller than the data you were pasting. Check this.
          If your rom doesn't go over, I suggest re-doing it and being more careful.

Old June 10th, 2015 (7:39 AM).
          Fabulous Fruit

Quote:
            Check the size of your rom in a hex editor. Maybe you went over 16mb. If you rom goes past 1000000+, then you most likely, when pasting tables in free space, you pasted them into spaces smaller than the data you were pasting. Check this.
            If your rom doesn't go over, I suggest re-doing it and being more careful.
            I retried it again (third times a charm) and made sure no data sizes were changed, it's working now!
            I changed the palette slightly for fairy type and it's changed the text colour when looking at a Pokemon, so I'll have to figure out how to fix that

Thank you very much! :D <3

Old June 19th, 2015 (12:02 PM). Edited June 19th, 2015 by FamiliaWerneck.

When OP says that if I change the color scheme, I'll mess up the palettes of other stuff, what do you mean by that? What other stuff could be messed?
              I'm asking this, 'cause I'd like to have more than just the 16 colors. Is there a way to do that?
              Also, the text in the summary of my Pokémon is weird, looking darker. All the game's text is normal, but the summary text. I'm using MrDS's newest Rombase.
              Thanks in advance.

EDIT; Also, how can I change the palettes of the TMs and HMs to match the new types colors?
              Old June 19th, 2015 (5:56 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by FamiliaWerneck View Post
                When OP says that if I change the color scheme, I'll mess up the palettes of other stuff, what do you mean by that? What other stuff could be messed?
                I'm asking this, 'cause I'd like to have more than just the 16 colors. Is there a way to do that?
                Also, the text in the summary of my Pokémon is weird, looking darker. All the game's text is normal, but the summary text. I'm using MrDS's newest Rombase.
                Thanks in advance.

EDIT; Also, how can I change the palettes of the TMs and HMs to match the new types colors?
                The only thing that I recall it messes up is the 'caught' pokeball image next to Pokemon you've caught in the Pokedex. It's minor, but still you should take that into account.
                No, you can't have more than 16 colours. In order to do that, you'd have to change the ASM routines to read from 2 palettes, which is a bit advanced. So, unfortunately, you have to stick to the 16 colours. Actually 15, as one of them is the background colours, a.k.a. transparent.
                The text colour thing may be due to the rombase, and it's really minor.
                For TMs and HMS, go into an item editor, find the palette offset and change them, either the palette offset or the actual palette itself. There should be one for every type spread across the TMs/HMs except Bug, which you can just make a new palette for.

Old June 19th, 2015 (6:10 PM).

Quote:
                  The only thing that I recall it messes up is the 'caught' pokeball image next to Pokemon you've caught in the Pokedex. It's minor, but still you should take that into account.
                  No, you can't have more than 16 colours. In order to do that, you'd have to change the ASM routines to read from 2 palettes, which is a bit advanced. So, unfortunately, you have to stick to the 16 colours. Actually 15, as one of them is the background colours, a.k.a. transparent.
                  The text colour thing may be due to the rombase, and it's really minor.
                  For TMs and HMS, go into an item editor, find the palette offset and change them, either the palette offset or the actual palette itself. There should be one for every type spread across the TMs/HMs except Bug, which you can just make a new palette for.
                  I know the text thing is a minor issue, but it's really bugging my sight.
                  Also, I meant actually how can I change the TMs/HMs palettes? I don't know how to find a palette so I can change it (just discovered NSE through this tutorial, but can't find the TMs and HMs there...).
                  As for the colors, I was just expecting to make the types like the new Generations, where they are all single-colored. But no problem, I can live without it. Wasn't even expecting to change those in the first place. =P
                  Old June 19th, 2015 (8:58 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by FamiliaWerneck View Post
                    I know the text thing is a minor issue, but it's really bugging my sight.
                    Also, I meant actually how can I change the TMs/HMs palettes? I don't know how to find a palette so I can change it (just discovered NSE through this tutorial, but can't find the TMs and HMs there...).
                    As for the colors, I was just expecting to make the types like the new Generations, where they are all single-colored. But no problem, I can live without it. Wasn't even expecting to change those in the first place. =P
                    If you want one type = one colour, emerald is your best bet.
                    For Palettes, like I said, go to an Item Editor, go to one of the TMs, and find the palette offset. Some item editors might not have this. Now once you have that palette, you can open it in Advanced Palette Editor, (open the rom and paste the offset in). Or, more advanced, you can hex edit everything.
                    I don't think NSE has Item palettes, so you shouldn't use it for that.

Old June 20th, 2015 (2:02 AM).

Quote:
                      If you want one type = one colour, emerald is your best bet.
                      For Palettes, like I said, go to an Item Editor, go to one of the TMs, and find the palette offset. Some item editors might not have this. Now once you have that palette, you can open it in Advanced Palette Editor, (open the rom and paste the offset in). Or, more advanced, you can hex edit everything.
                      I don't think NSE has Item palettes, so you shouldn't use it for that.
                      Ok man, thanks for the help!
                      Old June 29th, 2015 (9:57 PM). Edited June 30th, 2015 by Enderman Prince.

Hey, im a bit of a noob with editing things, and couldnt quite understand when you said to export and edit the bitmap of the types. Could you please explain this a bit more?
                        EDIT: figured out the editing but now i dont understand when you say post the 0x60 things in HxD in a free space. How do I find the free space?

"You have found me, now prove yourself!"- Reptile, MK1
                        Old June 30th, 2015 (4:53 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Enderman Prince View Post
                          Hey, im a bit of a noob with editing things, and couldnt quite understand when you said to export and edit the bitmap of the types. Could you please explain this a bit more?
                          EDIT: figured out the editing but now i dont understand when you say post the 0x60 things in HxD in a free space. How do I find the free space?
                          Free Space is basically anywhere in the rom that is just a mass of FFs.
                          In this case, it would be anything between 0x71A23C (if i remember correctly) - around 0xD00000.
                          Just go to wherever you want, and paste the data there. Make sure to select the same amount of bytes, then paste. Otherwise, you'll extend the rom and you won't be able to play it.

Old July 13th, 2015 (7:16 AM).

Nature: Naive
                            I followed the steps but I get a white screen after (did this like 10 times or more), please help, here are some things that can be noted:
                            -I didn't use a 1.0 fire red version cause I started editing before i decided to apply fairy type
                            -I didn't add the new palette offset to the hexes since i didn't change anything about the palette
                            well technically i just did / copied the steps on the msg except that i added only one type, and I just open the picture I made in NSE over and over again... Please helpp!! thanks

~~ How's My Trading? Leave a Review ~~
                            https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=391409

!! TSVs !! OR: 610 Y: 3785 Moon: 0975

Old July 13th, 2015 (8:13 AM).
                            still don't know what I'm doing

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Tyranitar06 View Post
                              I followed the steps but I get a white screen after (did this like 10 times or more), please help, here are some things that can be noted:
                              -I didn't use a 1.0 fire red version cause I started editing before i decided to apply fairy type
                              -I didn't add the new palette offset to the hexes since i didn't change anything about the palette
                              well technically i just did / copied the steps on the msg except that i added only one type, and I just open the picture I made in NSE over and over again... Please helpp!! thanks
                              it will only work with firered 1.0 like almost every tool ever, so only ever use 1.0

Old July 28th, 2015 (8:29 AM).
                              Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.

Nature: Relaxed
                                First off, thanks a lot for this tutorial! I am having some issues here, though, I hope someone will be able to help - I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong, so I'm gonna go ahead and specify what I've been doing - sorry if this is a bit frowned upon, I don't often post here, and sorry if I'm going into too much detail, I just wanna be thorough, because I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I've only gotten as far as completing step 1, but the game crashes right after the intro-battle-video thing stops.

Firstly, I'm starting off with MrDollSteak's Decap & Attack Rombase, so it's not like I'm making things easier for myself, I guess, with new pointers and offsets and whatnot. Mind you, I'm still pretty new to hex editing, but I think I understand the basics.

Anyway, as for finding the image in the first place, I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use the one located at 961C00, because where (in an unmodified ROM) I would normally find the pointer DC5DE908, I found 001C9608 - and NSE supports my theory, it seems:
                                Spoiler:

I edited the height to 18 before exporting, made my new type graphics and (succesfully?) inserted my new image at the offset 96571C. Then, I went back to the pointer 001C9608 and changed it to 1C579608 to match my new offset. So far, so good, the game doesn't crash or anything, when I open it at this point, and the type icons show up okay. (not the two new types, I didn't test for those, as I figured they weren't really implemented as icons for any type yet) Here's the image I inserted, I didn't change the palette, and I only used colors I could already find in the image I exported:
                                Spoiler:

Now, this is where things went wrong - apparently. Like with the other offset, here I went to 96197C instead of 452C94 by looking at the pointer that I'm later told to edit. So, I go to 96197C, select 64 blocks instead of 60, because MrDollSteak has already added the Fairy type, and the last 4 of those 64 bytes clearly seem to be the Fairy type. So I copy those 64 bytes and insert them at 967B1D, right after where I inserted the image, with only a few bytes of free space between them. Then I add the bytes for Digital and Cosmic at the end of the table (20 0C AC 00 and 20 0C 08 01, respectively) and finally, I find 7C199608 and replace it with 1D7B9608.

And NOW, the game crashes on start-up. Also, upon further inspection, something now seems to be wrong with the image I inserted. This is the offset where I inserted it, and this should still be the same palette, but the colors are clearly all wrong:
                                Spoiler:
                                Old July 30th, 2015 (2:29 AM).
                                RetroGamingTactics RetroGamingTactics is offline

But what about type advantages and super effective? do you have to hack that in too? cause adding types can change a whole lot.
                                  Old July 31st, 2015 (2:15 AM).

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by RetroGamingTactics View Post
                                    But what about type advantages and super effective? do you have to hack that in too? cause adding types can change a whole lot.
                                    Yes, you do. Unless you want your new type to be like the ???-type.
                                    It's not hard doing it in hex, and there are actually tools that do that for you.

Old August 12th, 2015 (8:23 AM).
                                    Graykis Jiang

Nature: Calm
                                      I'm trying to refer to the tutorial to do the new types, but I seem to still have a lot of things don't understand, you can under the guidance of me?
                                      Old September 19th, 2015 (6:22 AM).

How can I change the type of an atack to the new type ?
                                        Old November 8th, 2015 (2:59 AM).

Nature: Quiet
                                          Great tutorial! Thanks for posting this.
                                          Old February 3rd, 2016 (11:03 AM).

Nature: Serious
                                            Can you please explain what's going wrong with me?
                                            I click "POKEMON", then click "BPRE" So far so good, however when I click "Hud", does not appear to "PKMN" option.
                                            Please help meeeeeeee, I really want for the fairy type. ;(

Old May 5th, 2016 (10:44 AM).
                                            Salintra League Master Jason Salintra League Master Jason is offline
                                            Salintra League Champion

When I search my rom for the hex value "DC5DE908" in step 1, I get an error telling me that offset doesn't exist. What am I doing wrong?
                                              Old May 6th, 2016 (4:05 PM).

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by Salintra League Master Jason View Post
                                                When I search my rom for the hex value "DC5DE908" in step 1, I get an error telling me that offset doesn't exist. What am I doing wrong?
                                                You searched in a hex editor right?
                                                Did you search for bytes? You might have searched for text instead.
                                                If you're talking about going to the offset, that's different. The offset would be E95DDC

Old May 16th, 2016 (12:10 AM).
                                                Mercuryvisitor Mercuryvisitor is offline

i have been searching for this. Looks like I have come to the right place.
                                                  Cheers!!
                                                  Old May 28th, 2016 (3:57 PM).
                                                  Reclaimer Shawn Reclaimer Shawn is offline

Hey guys, may I please get some help on this? Whenever editing my bitmap image, my MSPaint always switches the color palette out with something odd, and I don't know why. I'm using the basic paint program that comes with Windows 10. Goes from the normal version to this whenever I save my edit(although it isn't finished yet):
                                                    imgur.com/13q4EwN
                                                    Would've posted it in picture form, but for some reason it glitched...

Quick Reply