• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
It's probably because there was one situation where you were trying to steal an item off a Pokemon who has the Sticky Hold ability, like Trubbish or Accelgor. Maybe that's why you couldn't steal the item. It should work against all other Pokemon though. ;)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
The reason you can't steal is because of Dark Gem. The Gem is still on you when you first use the attack. Even though it uses up the item, it was still being held when you first used the attack and until the turn after it treats the Pokemon as holding an item.

Other than that there are abilities the prevents you from stealing from the opponent, but because you were holding an item it blocked you from stealing the first time using it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
Suggestions of Hoops to Jump Through?

I'm playing through Pokemon White Version with a view to completing the regional Pokedex, but I don't have wifi connection on my DS. For the version exclusives, starters, fossils etc. I can probably manage with local trades, but for the event Pokemon I'll have to resort to hacking. The problem is, if I were to hack it and have it just appear, there would be no challenge, and no sense of accomplishment. As a result, I was wondering if anyone would mind suggesting a set of hoops for me to jump through to 'unlock' an event Pokemon.

As an example, maybe I would have to defeat the elite four with only an Archeops and Carracosta to unlock Genesect, after which I would allow myself to hack a Genesect into my game. I need 'unlock criteria' for Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect, but I'd rather not come up with them for myself, it would feel more of an acheivement to complete a challenge set by something external to myself.

Thanks in advance!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I'm playing through Pokemon White Version with a view to completing the regional Pokedex, but I don't have wifi connection on my DS. For the version exclusives, starters, fossils etc. I can probably manage with local trades, but for the event Pokemon I'll have to resort to hacking. The problem is, if I were to hack it and have it just appear, there would be no challenge, and no sense of accomplishment. As a result, I was wondering if anyone would mind suggesting a set of hoops for me to jump through to 'unlock' an event Pokemon.

As an example, maybe I would have to defeat the elite four with only an Archeops and Carracosta to unlock Genesect, after which I would allow myself to hack a Genesect into my game. I need 'unlock criteria' for Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect, but I'd rather not come up with them for myself, it would feel more of an acheivement to complete a challenge set by something external to myself.

Thanks in advance!
I don't really think you can do that...
(Not to mention you shouldn't ask this here but in ROM hacking section...)
What you can do is Mystery Gift them so they would look like events =)
But doing "unlock criteria" can only be done by advanced DS hacking which is not that known at the moment...
You can probably ask some DS hackers who managed to hack BW and get some tips from them.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Why i cant send keys to my newly bought White 2 from my already completed Black 2?
I havent reached the first Gym in White 2 but i want to play in Challenge mode.It cant find another DS.(I am trying to send from a 3ds xl to a Ds lite)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Why i cant send keys to my newly bought White 2 from my already completed Black 2?
I havent reached the first Gym in White 2 but i want to play in Challenge mode.It cant find another DS.(I am trying to send from a 3ds xl to a Ds lite)
You went to "Send and Receive Keys" on both games, correct? Then you have to line up the games with each other, because it sends by Infrared, not normal wireless. Make sure the cartridges themselves are lined up with each other. Then it should work.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years

Thanks in advance!

You can get the diploma without the Event Legendaries. I got my diploma, so I know.

matsuko

Alliterating Artist
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
are there any recommended strategies to catch cobalion and the like? i keep either killing it, or dying after using 15+ pokeballs of varied types (and failing, obviously).
i've tried quick, poke, great, ultra, timer, dusk (at night), luxury, heal, and premier balls... i'm extremely reluctant to use a masterball until i gain more than one...

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
The easiest, but most tedious, way to do it is to save in front of it, then start the battle and use a Quick Ball. If it doesn't work, reload and do it again. Sooner or later, it'll work.

The better way to do it is to set your team up with a catcher or two. Magneton or Magnezone are good, since they can learn Thunderwave (paralysis increases catch rate) and they're pretty bulky. Anything that learns a paralysis move or a sleep move is good, but it has to be bulky, since legendaries hit hard. And a pokemon that learns False Swipe is handy, since that'll never knock a pokemon below 1HP. Samurott, Leavanny, the Axew line, the Pawniard line and the Karrablast line can all learn it. So can Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion, and they actually make really good catchers, since they're tough. But you have to catch one of them first of course.

matsuko

Alliterating Artist
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
The easiest, but most tedious, way to do it is to save in front of it, then start the battle and use a Quick Ball. If it doesn't work, reload and do it again. Sooner or later, it'll work.

The better way to do it is to set your team up with a catcher or two. Magneton or Magnezone are good, since they can learn Thunderwave (paralysis increases catch rate) and they're pretty bulky. Anything that learns a paralysis move or a sleep move is good, but it has to be bulky, since legendaries hit hard. And a pokemon that learns False Swipe is handy, since that'll never knock a pokemon below 1HP. Samurott, Leavanny, the Axew line, the Pawniard line and the Karrablast line can all learn it. So can Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion, and they actually make really good catchers, since they're tough. But you have to catch one of them first of course.

thanks, i've pretty much just been saving in front of it, and every time i fail i reload. i've only just been looking into the sleep/paralysis moves today, and i need to level up my magnemite or a grass type that i already have before i can sic them on cobalion. XD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years

I wouldn't use Mag-line as it survives only 2 Sacred Swords at best...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I still cant unlock challenge mode.Any other suggestions?

If you can't unlock it you are doing something wrong as there is only one way to unlock it. You have to have the games on, select from the main menu the option to interact with the other game, select the keys, select send for the sending copy and receive for the receiving copy.

If that doesn't work you are doin something wrong.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
If you can't unlock it you are doing something wrong as there is only one way to unlock it. You have to have the games on, select from the main menu the option to interact with the other game, select the keys, select send for the sending copy and receive for the receiving copy.

If that doesn't work you are doin something wrong.

Thats the point!I dont have different options of send and receive only one that says send and receive in the same Box.
What i am doing:1)Turn both games on(3ds xl and DS lite)
2)Go to Unova Link
3)The single option send and receive keys
4) Wireless communications which always fail

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Thats the point!I dont have different options of send and receive only one that says send and receive in the same Box.
What i am doing:1)Turn both games on(3ds xl and DS lite)
2)Go to Unova Link
3)The single option send and receive keys
4) Wireless communications which always fail
It's not a Wireless thing, it's an IR thing. Which means you have to line up the cartridges themselves with each other or it will never do it. And the games are just supposed to share the keys automatically, it just swaps them, which is why there's only one option, not split options for send and receive. If this still isn't working I honestly don't know what to say. I can't think of anything that would be stopping it.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
I was wondering if there was anyway to get a Dream World Washibon (Rufflet). As I understand it, it can't be found in the Dream World or AR Searcher (Dream Radar), yet Smogon's movesets for Wargle (Braviary) recommend one use its Dream World ability. Is there anyway to get a Washibon with its Hidden Ability?

Years
I was wondering if there was anyway to get a Dream World Washibon (Rufflet). As I understand it, it can't be found in the Dream World or AR Searcher (Dream Radar), yet Smogon's movesets for Wargle (Braviary) recommend one use its Dream World ability. Is there anyway to get a Washibon with its Hidden Ability?

I don't think you can specifically get a Rufflet with Hustle but there is a Braviary on Route 4 that you can catch on Mondays in White 2 that has Defiant. Defiant is Braviary's hidden ability fyi.

EDIT: Dammit I was ninja'd. But at least you have an answer now.

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014

It's impossible to get a Hustle Rufflet, but you can catch a Defiant Braviary only in White 2 on Route 4 on Mondays. It's interactable and not a random encounter, so you just go up and talk to it.

Edit: Ninja'd by Hikari lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back