• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokécommunity Pokedex Project [Read First Post!]

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Looks great in my opinion, it's eyes remind me of Egyptian Pharoes hehe.

Yeah! I was totally getting the same exact vibe while I was working on it. It's quite a departure from "Greek mythology", but its name is rooted in that so I guess it's going to be a merge of the two. ;x

Although, I feel like if it were colored purple, it could easily be Ghost type or something. It's got this zombie feel to it now that I look at it again. :o

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
Yeah! I was totally getting the same exact vibe while I was working on it. It's quite a departure from "Greek mythology", but its name is rooted in that so I guess it's going to be a merge of the two. ;x

Although, I feel like if it were colored purple, it could easily be Ghost type or something. It's got this zombie feel to it now that I look at it again. :o

Yeah I could see it being a Ghost type or a Poison type, but thats a common thing to happen since in Pokemon colors are usually indicative of type. I see you guys are doing pokemon based on greek mythology, thats interesting Ill come up with something too.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Someone offline just seen the drawing and mistook the wing as the beak. I should specify that the green thing is the Fakemon's wing. It's facing to the (viewer's) left.

I'll draw a head-on version after I finish the one posted previously, which will make more sense.

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
You guys just keep coming up with great designs!

Hey BeefTaco, mind you share how you colored and shaded that wonderful bird? The simplicity of it is just really great, and the way its posture is shows how "majestic" it is :D

You too, Slenderman! Love what you did with a grass/flying! A dandelion puff is a really creative base for such a type!

Also, I like the Eevee Alexial. The redesign of the Ground Eevee was really needed, and the sprite work is really superb!

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Aww, thank you haha. I've added a beak since posting that drawing, to avoid more confusion involving the wing.

I also recently realized that none of these have shiny versions. Would you guys be cool with me trying my hand at recoloring some finished sprites to make them shiny? I have a decent amount of practice, but I can post an example. I of course am not trying to claim right to recolor them all / design all of the shinies! I just thought it would be a fun way to contribute. [:

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Ah! So much!

Well, I'll start off by saying welcome to BeefTaco, and that your designs are quite interesting. :3

Secondly, those sprites are pretty darned good, Alexial. d;

Thirdly, I'll post some more pictures tomorrow. I did end up drawing that Steel Eeveelution I mentioned. I notice that JetStream posted one as well, added to the one we already had. Well, hey, we'll just have to put 'em in an arena and have them fight to the death. Or vote, but that sounds less amusing.
I suppose I'll post my early sketch of the Magpie, and I'll see if I can work on the scans of Cirreon and Maltone that I have.
Also, did I mention I was considering making Colchakon and Kridera a legendary duo? I think I did. I'll sketch them again or something before then, especially Colchakon, lol. I also wanted to give Kridera wings. Lastly, with Kridera, if the "Fairy" type in X/Y is confirmed, I might consider changing his type to Grass/Fairy/whatever. Just a heads up, lol. d:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
@Slender : oh heck yeah. Go for it! Shiny variants are always welcome! Start theorizing some good male/female variations as well, while you're at it. :p

@Nakuzami : thanks! :3 Seems a steel type Eevee is pretty popular, eh? Well listen, as long as there aren't going to be any hurt feelings, I'm going to take one of the designs (that I consider the best), put it on the main post, and let that be that. It's always worthwhile to show us your designs, but if someone's up against someone else on the "same fakemon" it'll just have to come down to the community and, ultimately me, to choose the best one. Naturally, this decision would come with no hard feelings.

And actually, you bring up an interesting point. The unconfirmed "fairy" type.

So question! I would like input from everyone. :)

Do you guys want to start designing for this "Fairy" new type? If so, are there any other types you want to add to our pokedex?

Or, do you want to keep it safe and traditional?

Sky's the limit here people, so don't hold back~

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
You guys just keep coming up with great designs!

Hey BeefTaco, mind you share how you colored and shaded that wonderful bird? The simplicity of it is just really great, and the way its posture is shows how "majestic" it is :D

You too, Slenderman! Love what you did with a grass/flying! A dandelion puff is a really creative base for such a type!

Also, I like the Eevee Alexial. The redesign of the Ground Eevee was really needed, and the sprite work is really superb!

Sure thing, I'll wait till my brother gets out of the computer to give you some tips in detail. Also Im working on my Greek based pokemon, it's a rock type Centaur.

EDIT: Here are some tips

The first thing I do before making anything is drawing a rough sketch of what I want to draw, doesnt matter if it looks bad because its just a sketch to give you an idea of the form of the pokemon.

After that I begin to draw the pokemon on paper, I have really unsteady hands so I have to sketch multiple lines this makes my drawings often come out blurry.

Spoiler:

After you scan it to your computer or take a picture of it, you got to your Drawing Program(I use GIMP) and use the path tool to trace all the lines on the drawing, if the first time you trace it theres a lot of uneven or bumpy line trace it again and make sure the lines are clean. It should look something like this:

Note: Trace the drawing on a different layer and if you have to trace it again trace it on another layers as well.

The thickness of the lines depends on the size of the pokemon, usually the larger the pokemon the finer the line is.

Spoiler:

Now for the coloring. The best thing to do for coloring is to use a lot of different layers for the different color patterns, trust me layers make everything easier. The tool I use for coloring is the free select tool, just trace it along the lines of the part of the drawing you want to color and close it.

Now for the actual colors. Theres a lot of things I would have to explain about colors so the best advice I can give you is to look at actual pokemon colors and try to see what colors they use in relation to the theme that is being portrayed.

Note: NEVER use solid black in the drawings unless is small details, pixels are okay.

Now with shading is really simple, if its shaped shadow just trace the same shape next to the actual part of the body which is casting the shade and paint it a little darker than the original color. For full body shading you have to use your imagination a little, imagine where the light source is coming from and guess what part of the body would not be lighted, those parts you trace just like normal colorings and subtlety paint it a little darker. At the border of the shading gently mix the color of the shade and the normal color to create an effect of transition from light to dark. Hope

Last edited:

Nakuzami

Years
@Alexial - If the Fairy type is confirmed, I would have no arguments with making some pokemon of that type. I did already say I would, after all, lol. But, if no new type is confirmed, then . . . might as well keep it in the realm of official-ness, huh? Granted, we aren't official or anything. xD

Here's a scanned, outlined and resized picture of Cirreon:
Spoiler:

And one of Maltone, although not really outlined well:
Spoiler:

Here's a low quality picture of my Steel-type Eeveelution. I'm not sure what to name him. Neon, perhaps? xD
Spoiler:

Aaaaaaand that Magpie pokemon I was talking about:
Spoiler:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I recolored the Ground-type Eeveelution (sorry, I haven't memorized the names of the Fakemon). I kept the collar orange partially because of the Pokedex entry referring to it as orange, and partially because I didn't know what color to make it. x;

3131zr6.jpg

Any suggestions?
I did it in a Torchic style (reversing the colors, like Torchic's shiny version), but the silver is darker (more like gray than silver, I guess).

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2016
Sorry was away foe the weekend. Love all the ideas. I think the rock eevee should be called Oreon

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
Thats one scary pokemon slenderman hehe. Anyway heres my Rock-type Centaur Pokemon, hope you guys like it :)

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
AHHHH OKAY OMG

lol sorry, I just finished finally updating the first post with your individual assignments.

Slender, you're officially hired. <3 Love that shiny variant. Any sprites I produce from here on out, I want you to handle them as you see fit. This goes for any other artist who plans on spriting.

BeefTaco, you have the most concise and fully thought out designs. I love the Centaur so much omg.

Nakuzami!!!! I was totally going to ask you do update your fakemons and you already did it! <3 Awesome. I love them too.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2016
We are making tremendous pace maybe we should consider extending the amount of fakemon we can create :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
We are making tremendous pace maybe we should consider extending the amount of fakemon we can create :)

You know, I had the same thought.

This thread moves so fast and there's been quite the influx in participation, I considered turning this into a "PC Fakemon Dump". But, that doesn't really give us any kind of objective or goal.. For right now, we stick to a good'ol 150 Pokedex. Let's get that done first.. then we can consider making something even bigger. But there's no reason to not expand beyond 150 after we've hit that. Until then though, let's do this one step at a time. :)

Besides, I want to look for a way to get other sections involved in this project too. :) And having something bigger than just a nice, clean "fakedex" would be a bit intimidating and a little hard to swallow; although I don't doubt my artists can handle it. ;)

Nakuzami

Years
We could always start on a second region's fakedex after we complete this one?
Perhaps we should make a region to go with it later.
PERHAPS WE SHOULD BLACKMAIL THE PEOPLE IN THE GAME DEVELOPMENT CORNER AND HAVE THEM MAKE THESE FAKEMON INTO A GAME.

I'm coloring Cirreon right now.
I'm really bad at it. :x I mean, I can color things that are clean and have already been fixed up great, but I'm not very good at the clean up myself, which makes the coloring more difficult. xD

And now we have the three steel eeveelutions. Battle to the death time?

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Thanks for that info BeefTaco!
I've always been doing everything like you have up to the linepart, maybe I just needed a better explanation for the shading! :D

And I noticed in the op that it said this was the first Community Project "in a while".
Can anyone elaborate on this? Was there already an attempt made by PC before?

AND BATTLE TO THE DEATH WE SHALL! >:D
maybe a poll should be set up then?
I'm planning to revise my version anyway, because I really want to try out BeefTaco's artstyle out! @w@

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
I really appreciate your compliments guys, it really cheers up my day hehe. Ive only be here for a little while but you guys already make one feel like part of the group. Also no prob Sunfished, im here to help.

Nakuzami

Years
I doubt it, but I could try to color over my eeveelution on GIMP with that photo I took. Granted, I can hardly color in Cirreon, and that was a clean scan. . . . Lol
STEEL TYPE EEVEELUTIONS, DON YOUR BATTLE ARMOR AND PREPARE TO MEET YOUR FATES!

@BeefTaco - Pfft, I was only here a few days before you. I just decided to act like I'd been here the entire time. xD

Perhaps I should work on my digital art skills? I'm not really very good at that, unless you count recoloring sprites . . . lol.

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
Ive found that the best way to get better as an artist overall is not just drawing but also looking at other people's art and see what it is that they do to make it look good. I remember the first time I started using GIMP a few years back, I had such a hard time edititing but in time I learned about layers, shading, coloring, etc. its just about practice and observation.

Back