• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I would just like to ask why some of you think that instead of journey RP's you should rather play the game? (I've heard people say this on PC before.) I personally think journey one's are good if there aren't many. Because in a Journey RP it's much more innovative and can go pretty much the way you want it, while the games are much more constricted. Any thoughts on the matter?

Certain differences I'd like to point out in both scenarios.

In the game, you never have dialogue with the opponent. Only from Gen III onwards, you had monologue when the opponent starts to lose. Whereas in RPs, you can make your characters talk, taunt, praise, remark etc. The levels are creativity are there, and I don't have to point them out, do I?

While journey RPs also have events that are plot-triggers, games are pretty much more narrowed down at the start. You pick a starter, battle trainers in your way, fight every gyms, battle villains yadayadayadadah, whereas most GMs would have a surprise plot or twist in store for us. Or they might incorporate a new scene into the storyline such as the sixth chapter in the RP Begin, Again.

Overall, it's actually the innovation (as you mentioned) and levels of creativity that sparks people to RP rather than play the game itself. I personally love journey RPs even with their cons as in a RP, there's no right or wrong. In the games, you have to follow a strict battle system that goes like this:

"Fight", "Select Move", "Watch Animation".
Redo or it may be like this:
"Bag", "Select item", "Select Pokemon", "Watch moving text and a cheesy music being played"

Yes, it's boring. In RPs, we can all flesh out battle moves and item usage.

That's the end of my short impromptu speech, thank you for listening and have a nice day. XD

P.S. You should never talk on your cell phone in the library! xP

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
You should almost not even talk in a library ^^

I just want to advertise a bit about this fine RP called Ye' Pokebeast Journeye'. It's made by Miss Doronjo, the moderator over at Pokémon General. If I'm not wrong, it needs one or two more players~

Aura.Lucario

The Rivers will run red....
Years
I just want to advertise a bit about this fine RP called Ye' Pokebeast Journeye'. It's made by Miss Doronjo, the moderator over at Pokémon General. If I'm not wrong, it needs one or two more players~

I know, I kind of like it, but once again...too high class for me, RHCP. You know, two great mods in one RP? :) I am waaaay too small compared to you high-level RPers. I don't make short posts that are TOO short (I don't know if my posts in Eternal Nightmare's short to you) , but my RPing skills aren't good enough, if you know what I mean...and it'll never be good enough for those top notch RPers out there...

I'm a mediocre RPer...and i've received a lot of critism by other RPers (some aren't really that good either *rolls eyes*), and it's hurting my self-esteem and my confidence rather severely...guess I can only join some minor RPs...i'll never be good enough.

Look at my sig, even my sig sucks how good can I be? I'm not good with anything :/

...sigh....

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I am so not a high class RPer. Is there even a term like that? You are a good, creative and active RPer, Aura.Lucario. That's worth a lot. Once again, I was not modded because of my RP skills.

MichaelaTheUchiha

Forever Shawol and Aileean
Years
Stupid accidentally clicking a bookmark and deleting all I have typed.

I was, also, not modded because of my RP skills since I know so many people that are better than me. I was probably modded because I come on daily (and have no life). XD

Plus, who are we to compare RPers to other RPers? There are many different RP styles out there. One could have almost the bare minimum paragraph, but be absolutely beautiful and everyone loves it. Or, it could be awesometastic in length, but be mediocre. Or, the person could take a really really long time in creating a post, but it is awesometastic in every way. Or, the person could take a really short time in creating a post, have a fairly short post, but it is awesometastic in everything else. People posts in different ways so it matters on personal opinion who is the best RPer, hm?

Plus, constructive criticism is there for a reason. It is to help one get better. If you feel that it is wrong, it is coming from the wrong people, or you think that aspect of your posts is fine, ignore it. It is not to lower your self-esteem.

You are an awesome RPer, mate. Don't forget that. D=<

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I'm not picky about what skill level you have. Not at all! Just as long as you read the rules (especially with the SU), try your best, that's good enough for me. :3

And the point of RPs is to have fun! ^^

Besides, I'm not a highly experienced RPer myself; I only have what -- 2 months at it? ~

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
Years
I've been having an idea; what would you fine people think of a One Piece RP?

I'm in to that lately :3 *Hides avatar*

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
*Accidently deletes post and has to start over*

*Pulls out tomato*
[Random Guy] Heeey, give the guy a chance.
Okay, fine *scoffs and hides tomato*

Never really watched One Piece, but from what I saw, I didn't love it. Though, it has been a few years, and I don't really remember much from it, so that might be subject to change...not soon though :3

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016

What aspects of it would remain? Would it just be the same world, or would it be that it's about finding One Piece?

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
I'd be SO down for a One Piece roleplay. Alas, I can't handle multiple roleplays at once anymore, so it'd really depend on the plot. ^^;

You should almost not even talk in a library ^^

That looks like a /fantastic/ roleplay!

It inspires me to return to roleplaying after all these months. xD Do let me know if the final reserved spot goes unfilled.
That is, if you're willing to deal with my general ignorance on this forum after so long a time of being away. xD;;

Would anyone care to tell me, by the way, how this whole "chapters" and battle/capture statistic stuff works? It was only just starting to be implemented in the pokemon roleplays when I stopped writing, so I never really understood it, but it seems so popular now. Is it basically just a periodic guideline for the roleplayers provided by the roleplay master?

Also, would anyone know the average number of pages in Microsoft Word expected of roleplayers today? Just an estimate would be great. ^^

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'd be SO down for a One Piece roleplay. Alas, I can't handle multiple roleplays at once anymore, so it'd really depend on the plot. ^^;

That looks like a /fantastic/ roleplay!

It inspires me to return to roleplaying after all these months. xD Do let me know if the final reserved spot goes unfilled.
That is, if you're willing to deal with my general ignorance on this forum after so long a time of being away. xD;;

Would anyone care to tell me, by the way, how this whole "chapters" and battle/capture statistic stuff works? It was only just starting to be implemented in the pokemon roleplays when I stopped writing, so I never really understood it, but it seems so popular now. Is it basically just a periodic guideline for the roleplayers provided by the roleplay master?

Also, would anyone know the average number of pages in Microsoft Word expected of roleplayers today? Just an estimate would be great. ^^
I'm sure you still know a lot more about roleplaying than I do xD

I don't know much about statistics in roleplays. I know they do it more on serebii. By chapters, we usually mean something in the style of slls81's old and still alive RP. It's often up to the GM to decide whether the pokémon was captured or not, simply based on post quality or something similar. Or they use a dice roll, simply.

It would be fun to make a roleplay with real statistics, with skills and attributes, where it actually mattered what kind of character you were playing when it comes to capture rate and interaction with NPCs. Like, if you have a high Charisma, you can persuade Team Rocket to leave a place without fighting them, or something.

Length in Word, hm. There are a lot of RPs now where a whole page is made in one day. The players there only write a small paragraph in each post and continuously interact with each other. But when it comes to RPs that require longer posts, the expected length seems to vary much.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
What's with the funky title? What's a Polerlay? What's a Cisdussion? What's a Dhreat? :)

baseballa34657

Roleplaying Assasin
Years
XD. I nearly just fell over laughing from the new title change. I.E. Roleplay Discussion Thread - Because Other Titles Bother People. XD

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
@ Loki:
It seems like the expectancy of post-length isn't really consistent among GM's, but in the RP I'm in Id est Damnum Innocantae, the length is shorter than when you were RPing. But longer than some others. But alot use really short posts that are back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back