• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did X/Y feel too easy?

Years
Yeah I found it too easy to be honest, been saying this since it came out and having just finished replaying it last week I'd probably still say the same. I don't think I whited out once and you can literally sweep the E4 with a super effective move against their respective Pokemon, which isn't fun against what should be a big challenge in the game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 13, 2018
I just beat it today, and yes- it was super easy. Maybe it feels that way because I've also been playing Heart Gold where it takes a lot more effort to level up my team. Also, they make it easy to find and discover things, unlike previous generations. I do like that I can change my character's looks. That was a fun addition, but I don't get the whole skating thing. (Am I just too old?)
I feel like, in general, each new game is easier than the last, and it's easier than ever to acquire supposedly rare and powerful Pokemon.
I do like that I can catch some 1st Gen. Legends.
Also, I found Lumiose City a bit overwhelming to navigate and didn't like that there wasn't a map on my pokegear/touchscreen thing. I kept thinking, "Where the heck am I again?" Also, there wasn't very good map continuity in general, if that makes sense. (I'm a very methodical person, if you haven't noticed).
So maybe there are some trade-offs?

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Exp. Share made it super easy for me, for a bit so I stopped using it. I really don't enjoy my Pok?mon being raised for me, I like using them in battles and leveling them myself.

Takes away from part of the experience for me if it's own, especially when exploring Kalos and it's new Pok?mon, I wanted to get to train them!

Though, even with it turned off it was still the easiest Pok?mon game I've played. Kind of a let down, because they were so hyped.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
These games are only as easy as you make them. That goes for any Pokemon game.

You can turn off the EXP share and play through like the other games. Or change the battle style to set.

I'm playing X for the first time, and rotating through about 10 different Pokemon using the box. It's not so easy.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Most certainly. The EXP Share made the game too easy. I don't care for the Kalos region games as a whole, to start with, so the easy difficulty w/the EXP share turned on, and Mega Evolution made the game too stupidly easy as well. X/Y were a big mistake.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
When I first played it, yes, I thought it was too easy. Looking back after playing SuMo, I wish we had that level of "difficulty" in Gen 7! I'm really hoping they don't continue this path of making the games an absolute floor wipe.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
X/Y was actually supposed to be easy, I remember some article said that they acknowlage players not having as much time and whatnot so they made the game easier, exp share added to it but the legendaries ohhhh, I beat the e4 just using Xerneas.

Jackson Teller

Sons of Anarchy
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Yeah, X/Y are just too easy for me, EXP Share or not.

I distinctly remember my first ever X playthrough: I used Delphox, Venusaur, Tyrantrum, Sylveon, Lucario and Lapras. Basically every gift mons plus the new Eeveelution.

I kept the EXP Share on until the Snorlax bit, just because I didn't knew the new way it worked. By then I had only the two starters in my team, and they were something like lv. 25. Way before the second gym.

By the time I got to the fourth gym I had most of the team in the late 30s, except Lucario and Lapras, which were still new acquisitions. So basically, yes, since X/Y the games' difficulty is extremely broken, if you ask me.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
X/Y are actually pretty hard if you turn off the EXP Share and try to play without grinding. The opponents have good Pokemon with really good movepools, especially later on and their AI is smarter than you'd think.

It is true, however, that the level curve is somewhat fluctuating. That leads to situations where if you just want to play the game without intense grinding and without blasting through your opponents, you pretty much have to switch the EXP Share on or off.

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
Years
In my personal opinion, YES. X and Y were the easiest main series Pokemon games for me yet, and I really did not enjoy them. I know it may be an unpopular opinion, (or not who knows) but I felt it was a weak point in the series, at least for me. The Gym Leaders were not very likable, the entire game was way too easy, and I even found myself purposefully bringing weaker Pokemon and leaving some in the PC to try and get a challenge out of the gyms to no avail. I even used Pokemon who are genuinely crap stat wise. Anyways, I am not hating on X and Y, and the topic was is it too easy, not "why do you dislike or like X and Y" so I'll end it here. For me yes, and I'm sure for some no (which is okay). The Elite Four not changing at all after you rematch them and the fact that they only had four Pokemon each was a big shame and disappointment. It sucks because I actually really liked the design of most of the Elite Four in X and Y. The same goes for some of the Gym Leaders, they had max 3 Pokemon (which I know was carried over from Black and White even though I love those games) and did not put up much of a challenge at all.

User Anon 1848

Yes. Even without using O-powers or having the EXP. Share turned on you're still being healed and handed valuable items seemingly every few minutes. I hate the few instances where Team Flare members surround you with the intention of ganging up only for you to be able to walk away and heal after every one on one battle. Only happened a couple of times iirc but it still felt like a cakewalk. At the time I was happy enough with the transition to 3D that I tolerated the lack of difficulty but replaying these games really makes it hard not to notice.

People say that more experienced players simply have an easier time because they've played Pokemon games for so long but I still struggle more replaying the older games than I do with gen 6. Having to go out of your way to make self-imposed challenges isn't a sign of good game design. The only real challenges in this gen are their versions for the Battle Tower that you find post-game and even that's mostly due to their use of accuracy reducing items rather than the AI.

Last edited:
Years
yes. the only challenge i had was with that granite guy. is that his name? the gym leader with the two kalos fossil? welp, just did a quick google search, and its grant. close enough and that was sort of my fault since my pokemon was under-leveled.

literally beat diantha with two pokemon. which was disappointing. i think you can push it to only one if you have a good Aegislash

Last edited:

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
Yes, mainly because of the Exp. Share. I remember my whole team being above Level 90 when I faced the Kalos E4: that was just ridiculous.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 1, 2020
Yes, but X/Y was also the beginning of when I started thinking about perfecting my mons and competitive battling. 8 year old me thought gens 1-3 were difficult, but they all feel easy now. I would say that X/Y are easier than the previous games though.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
xy are way too easy. i can't even remember the gym leaders or elite four and don't get me started on the champion. i did a wonderlocke challenge in y once, no exp share and like. it was STILL easy. and it was a friggin wonderlocke challenge lol. i guess i just lucked out getting some good pokemon off wonder trade for that challenge but like. damn. i am curious to see how a replay without using exp share would go for me, though.

Back