• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest fight

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
So we've all been there. Quite a lot of us have had to go through that one fight where we wish we'd rather be doing something just as annoying rather than face up that boss and die trying. SM and USUM is no slouch to that either, having its fair share of difficult bosses and fights in general.

What was the hardest fight that you encountered in SM and USUM? I had trouble with Araquanid and Lysandre in USUM.

Years
First battle with Ilma and that teacher in Trainer School are always pain to go through, mostly because at that point of the game I usually have just my underleveled starter on my team. And their super-effective attacks hit really hard.

Years
That Totem Lurantis battle was annoying as all hell. First time I've encountered an AI that used decent double battle synergy, so it did catch me off guard.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Totem Lurantis took a lot of tries, in both the originals and USUM. I couldn't even beat it without Robo Lottery powers, it was that horrible.

I also had a bad time w/Ultra Necrozma. People who say Pokemon games are getting easier? Sure, go off I guess. Clearly, they've never battled this thing. I almost never stood a chance until I got myself a dark type Pokemon, and even then, I was really underleveled for this monstrosity.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I had trouble battling Red and Blue in front of the Battle Tree and I never even beat one of them. I got lazy and didn't even bother on beating one of them and I didn't care about not entering the Battle Tree.

TheAlmightyBlaziken

Pretty cool if I do say so myself
Years
Necrozma beat me a couple of times until I used knock off then my decidueye's z move pretty easy once you know how to deal with it

Last edited:
Years
oh the necrozma one 100%. I was lucky I got toxic on my muk. and a ton of max revives and max potions

saniachan

Second Violinist
Years
As for myself, Totems Marowak and Kommo-o in Ultra were quite a pain in the neck. They crushed my supposed strategies and had me use something else just to chip off their healths. And that's in a nuzlocke, so revives were already out from my strategy options.

I also had a bad time w/Ultra Necrozma. People who say Pokemon games are getting easier? Sure, go off I guess. Clearly, they've never battled this thing. I almost never stood a chance until I got myself a dark type Pokemon, and even then, I was really underleveled for this monstrosity.
About Ultra Necrozma, I'd say that this thing can be either piece of cake if you know how to work around it or insane if you go blind. There are plenty of suggested strategies for Ultra Necrozma out there, y'see.

Last edited:

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
That first teacher battle is a real pain. I think the games are easier now but there's still a few curveball fights in there to catch you out.

I do find it annoying that your rival gets the pokemon weak to your starting type, im sure they always used to get the strong one.

Years
I never struggled in any of the seventh gen battles at all until Ultra Necrozma. That thing wiped me the first battle and with try #2, I survived using healing items and a single mon left. @_@

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
I'll rank them in terms of how much I had to actually prepare for them. And that's saying a lot for a Pokemon game.

1. Ultra Necrozma. Absolute nonsense of a fight, and if you have to be unlucky when it comes to IVs/EVs you are even more screwed over. Had to literally poison stall to kill it.

2. Totem Araquanid/Togedemaru. Once again, it's so easy to be locked for a long time on these fights. They have too good coverage. Spikey Shield is a level of annoyance I don't wish on anyone and Araquanid having Aurora beam is a huge screw you.

3. Lurantis can be really annoying. Super annoying. Unless you're overleveled this fight will not go well for you. Between having the back-up be annoying with supersonic and having a herb to speed up it's charge. Everything in this fight is made to bug you in some way.

4. Totem Rhibombee. I made the mistake of fooling around. Having this thing get quiver dance is super messed up. As well as calling in Pelliper to make sure you don't use a fire type. I was lucky that I was able to defeat it.

Special mention goes to rainbow rocket. In that game, Lysandre having a Mega and Legendary was hell.

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I find SMUSUM to be some of the harder games in the series.

There's of course the Ultra Necrozma fight a.k.a. 'Please don't 1HKO me' - the fight, but for me, Guzma 1 in Malie Garden in USUM is such a big jump in difficulty.
The main problem is Masquerain, which was buffed in USUM. It's fast, has high special attack and wide coverage. Golisopod is also a pain in the ass to handle sometimes.

In general, from the second half of Ula'Ula, the game's level curve seems to go up a wall, with consecutive bosses out-levelling each other. The Guzma 2 - Gladion 2 - Nanu fights, all occurring in quick succession is one of the worst 'gauntlets' so to speak. Then the Guzma 3 - Lusamine battles at the end of Aether Paradise can also be brutal.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Aside from Necrozma hitting so hard I didnt find this too bad. Mimikyu as my first up gave me a nice safety net and got his HP right down then I rotated a few others to wittle him down and revive mimikyu who finished him off.

Having high affection really helps too.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 28, 2024
I haven't played USUM, but in SM one of the most challenging fights for me was Totem Lurantis. It kept one hit KOing my entire team with solar blade, and to be honest I don't remember how I beat it. Totem Wishiwashi was also really annoying due to that Alomomola that shows up.

Years
Personaly I struggled the most against Guzma in USUM (all battles vs him) because I didn't really have any pokémon that was good vs him. Everytime I met him I tried at least 5/10 times the battle before beating him.

I also struggled a lot against totem Kommo-o and Ultra necrozma.

Note that I don't use the multi-exp or I don't use broken pokémon. I enjoyed gen 7's difficulty thanks to that.

Years
The hardest battles for me were against Totem Togedemaru in both of my Ultra Sun playthroughs. The funny thing is that I had a Ground type on both of my teams by that point (Sandygast on my first playthrough and traded in Golett with perfect IVs on my second playthrough) and I still had issues with Togedemaru.

Spiky Shield coupled with moves that can flinch you made this fight imo harder and more annoying that even the Ultra Necrozma one.

The Bellossom boi

Totem Ribombee and Ultra Necrozma. I take more attempts before defeat them.

Ultramoon was the hardest game I played so far though.

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
There loads of difficulties when facing a totem in S/M and USUM.
Ultra Necrozma: It outspeed me and one-shot everything, until I use quick claw on my gengar and utilized destiny bond thus Im able to kill it straight
Totem Lurnatis: Overwhelm me because how beefy it is and just solar slash me with its solar-beam variant leaf blade because Castform just spew sunny days all day which troubling
Mimikyu: Fairy/Ghost just gives you ghastly trouble because the backup just use hypnosis/confuse ray at you and disguise makes you like a fool really.

rainbow rocket can be a pain sometimes because they always use legendaries. Giovani with his mega stone mewtwo are really hell to deal with because it can just one-shot everything.

Back