• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Essentials PBS File Editor

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 11, 2014
Hi guys,
Some time ago I was playing around with the starter kit again and thought: Hm, the PBS files are somewhat difficult to edit, so I decided to write an editor for those files. I tried to make it look a bit like the RPG Maker Database.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finished files:

Items.txt
Moves.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Working on:

Pokemon.txt

I would like to hear what you think about an editor for the PBS files so that I know if anybody need such a program. I know that there's an editor coming with essentials but this editor is very unwieldy I think.

I can't post a download link yet because i haven't got over 15 posts, I'll edit this as soon as I hit the 15 xD

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
There was one around for a while that had a GUI for editing the Pokemon.txt file (PEPC) that I thought was fantastic. I always use notepad for making these additions, but it is tools like this that make it easier for people to jump into working with the somewhat interesting structure of the txt files by adding a straight forward interface for them to work in to make edits.

I certainly feel things like this could help drive a bit more activity in this section in general. The nice thing about ROM hacking is that they have all of these tools and tutorials to make the necessary adjustments for what they want to do. In GD here, it is a bit more difficult to make these adjustments if you do not know what you are doing and the formatting of the .txt files is something you find confusing, editors for example are clear up any confusion about what values are what when they are not defined in the text file itself.

I get that many of the old school members here are against making things easier for newcomers in general, but that mentality has lead to a significant tapering-off of users here in the GD section over the years I have observed.

Back