• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I think your opinion is great and all, but Diego's not gonna drop his other project. Maybe you dont like it, but there are people that do.

On a related note, this is still looking good. Keep up the awesome work!
What Quickster said. I personally like the idea behind Shining Opal and am currently playing Soul Silver, so this game would be repetitive right now but more of interest upon the project's close. Also, I've been providing some possible input on Shining Opal, so while the final say is Diego's, I am eager to see if any of my ideas get implemented - or not. I know of a couple so far, at least.

If there were one criticism that would be valid about Shining Opal, it would be the difficulty levels of Pokémon between Routes 2-3 being rather...how can I say it?...unbalanced. Soul Silver (and thus CrystalDust) could also come across as imbalanced; after all, wild Pokémon are still rather weakish in the path to Mahogany Town (due most likely to the fact you can go there before going to Mahogany Town - I actually did that in Soul Silver). However, it's still possible to defeat them. Once you're on Route 3 in Shining Opal, if your Pokémon are not ready, you're facing a lot of knockouts.

Cyclone

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years

But this is not what I meant. I DO know how the Celebi event looks like after obtaining GS Ball, it's no mystery. Also, not all mobile events were GS Ball-oriented.

Also, the way of acquision shown in that video is English-only and unused. In Japanese version, you obtained GS Ball for answering questions in a Dragon Den-like quiz. It's described in the link I posted. Did you even open it?

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Well i just want to say Congrats Cause Emerlad is a hard to hack and your doing Great!
Thanks for the support!
No they aren't, 'cause there are no Mediums in FR/LG. Channelers and Mediums aren't quite the same thing, they're based on two different Japanese concepts. Not to mention that Mediums (as opposed to Channelers) are supposed to be elderly.

By the way, have you thought about including Japanese-only mobile events from Crystal (yes, there were different ways to obtain GS Ball and other items)? They weren't pre-programmed, the Mobile function apparently patched your game, so it's impossible to access those events now (unless someone somewhere in the world still has a working patched game with a working save). There are no videos for them, so you'll have to use your imagination a bit. But I think it'd be very interesting if you included them.
Wow, I never knew either of those things before. I'll switch over the sprites for the channelers to the mediums sometime.
The thing is,mi already have a whole storyline made up for the GS Ball and besides, I wouldn't know how to program those special events into the game. In CrystalDust, you get the GS Ball pretty much like in Eng Crystal, after you complete its story.
I believe this is a video. Granted, it's Shiny Gold, itself a hack.

This shows the acquisition in Goldenrod. (Crystal)

Here's the Celebi encounter after placing the GS Ball in the shrine (Crystal)

That's just a small sample.

Cyclone
That's not what he meant. That's pretty much how you get the GS Ball in Eng Crystal and he was trying to explain all of the events that could be done with the Mobile Adapter in Jap Crystal.
I think you should work on this game instead of the other one. I have no interest in the other one.

I think your opinion is great and all, but Diego's not gonna drop his other project. Maybe you dont like it, but there are people that do.

On a related note, this is still looking good. Keep up the awesome work!
This is true. I have a lot of fans of Shining Opal too (including myself) and I've been wanting to finish that game for years now.
Also, to Quickster, thanks for the support!
This is a great hack
keep it up :D
Thanks for the support!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
But this is not what I meant. I DO know how the Celebi event looks like after obtaining GS Ball, it's no mystery. Also, not all mobile events were GS Ball-oriented.

Also, the way of acquision shown in that video is English-only and unused. In Japanese version, you obtained GS Ball for answering questions in a Dragon Den-like quiz. It's described in the link I posted. Did you even open it?
Yes I did, and I read about the questionnaire. My point was noting there are videos of the GS Ball event even if they are not the full Japanese event.

I think tying it to the storyline would be a nice addition; you must do this event to unlock this Gym or something.

Cyclone

Sierraffinity

Years
Yes I did, and I read about the questionnaire. My point was noting there are videos of the GS Ball event even if they are not the full Japanese event.

I think tying it to the storyline would be a nice addition; you must do this event to unlock this Gym or something.

Cyclone
Well, the way you said it, it sounded like you didn't know about the differences. Oh well.
I think Maybe Ho-oh and Lugia get in a fight and Celebi calms them down and Kurt makes the GS Ball?
Not even close, sorry to say.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
5 days searching...

5 days searching in National Park for a Sunkern to appear(done so everytime the time in the game changed from morning to day, day to night, and night to when i go to sleep, then in the morning for a bit again, and hit replay 4 more times) and cant find it at all. Is it really still in National Park like in the original Crystal? or am i pretty much looking for a hay in the needle stack that doesn't even have a single strand of hay in it? (and yes i know thats not how the saying goes...i reversed it to show the needles poking at me in comparison to my anger towards the situation.)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I just checked the appearance rates and Pokémon in National Park. I think what diego tried to do is accommodate the Bug Catching Contest Pokémon - which are not normally available in National Park outside of the contest - in the main grass area.

Looking at the list, I see the following Pokémon and appearance rates:

Caterpie: 20%
Weedle: 20%
Metapod: 10%
Kakuna: 10%
Paras: 10%
Venonat: 10%
Butterfree: 5%
Beedrill: 5%
Scyther: 5% (taking up both a 4% and 1% slot)
Pinsir: 5% (taking up both a 4% and 1% slot)

Since Butterfree and Beedrill are the final evolutions of Caterpie and Weedle respectively, I'd be willing to suggest (hence why I'm replying before you diego) that Sunkern can take the place of Butterfree/Beedrill. Might this be a good alternative?

Cyclone

Sierraffinity

Years
5 days searching in National Park for a Sunkern to appear(done so everytime the time in the game changed from morning to day, day to night, and night to when i go to sleep, then in the morning for a bit again, and hit replay 4 more times) and cant find it at all. Is it really still in National Park like in the original Crystal? or am i pretty much looking for a hay in the needle stack that doesn't even have a single strand of hay in it? (and yes i know thats not how the saying goes...i reversed it to show the needles poking at me in comparison to my anger towards the situation.)
Wow, that's an error nobody else would've caught. I just realized that somehow, I managed to replace all Sunkern encounters in that map with Ledyba. Fixed and uploaded.
I just checked the appearance rates and Pokémon in National Park. I think what diego tried to do is accommodate the Bug Catching Contest Pokémon - which are not normally available in National Park outside of the contest - in the main grass area.

Looking at the list, I see the following Pokémon and appearance rates:

Caterpie: 20%
Weedle: 20%
Metapod: 10%
Kakuna: 10%
Paras: 10%
Venonat: 10%
Butterfree: 5%
Beedrill: 5%
Scyther: 5% (taking up both a 4% and 1% slot)
Pinsir: 5% (taking up both a 4% and 1% slot)

Since Butterfree and Beedrill are the final evolutions of Caterpie and Weedle respectively, I'd be willing to suggest (hence why I'm replying before you diego) that Sunkern can take the place of Butterfree/Beedrill. Might this be a good alternative?

Cyclone
Actually, you WERE looking at the Bug Catching contest map. The two are separated completely, hence why you were seeing that encounter rate.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Wow, that's an error nobody else would've caught. I just realized that somehow, I managed to replace all Sunkern encounters in that map with Ledyba. Fixed and uploaded.

Actually, you WERE looking at the Bug Catching contest map. The two are separated completely, hence why you were seeing that encounter rate.
Oh? I wasn't aware you implemented the Bug Catching Contest map. I didn't think the mechanics for it were there in Emerald.

Cyclone

Sierraffinity

Years
Oh? I wasn't aware you implemented the Bug Catching Contest map. I didn't think the mechanics for it were there in Emerald.

Cyclone
Mechanics? It was all done using scripts, like GSC did. If you notice, every time you enter, it's due to a scripted event. And since it's a scripted event, I can choose which map to send you to.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Mechanics? It was all done using scripts, like GSC did. If you notice, every time you enter, it's due to a scripted event. And since it's a scripted event, I can choose which map to send you to.
Oh! In that case, that's awesome. I don't have the other tools so don't see the scripts. :)

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Wow, that's an error nobody else would've caught. I just realized that somehow, I managed to replace all Sunkern encounters in that map with Ledyba. Fixed and uploaded./QUOTE]

so basically when you say "fixed and uploaded", i just have to re-download the patch, use it on a new clean Emerald ROM, and i can find sunkern in national park like in original crystal?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016

so basically when you say "fixed and uploaded", i just have to re-download the patch, use it on a new clean Emerald ROM, and i can find sunkern in national park like in original crystal?
Correct. Get a fresh Emerald and patch it with the update. As for the Ledyba, if it's not supposed to be there at all (it was found via Headbutt in SS), perhaps release it to keep true to the game. :)

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Correct. Get a fresh Emerald and patch it with the update. As for the Ledyba, if it's not supposed to be there at all (it was found via Headbutt in SS), perhaps release it to keep true to the game. :)

Cyclone

And it worked out! Also wanted to mention that in the bug catching contest i took part in i found scyther, caught it with ease, and beat 2 other guys who each had a paras. so now that i got lvl 14 sunkern AND a sun stone i can evolve it and(if im not mistaken) it will learn razor leaf once it evolves! thanks Cyclone and diegoisawesome. :D

Sierraffinity

Years
And it worked out! Also wanted to mention that in the bug catching contest i took part in i found scyther, caught it with ease, and beat 2 other guys who each had a paras. so now that i got lvl 14 sunkern AND a sun stone i can evolve it and(if im not mistaken) it will learn razor leaf once it evolves! thanks Cyclone and diegoisawesome. :D
No problem! Thank you for telling me about the bug in my game that I probably wouldn't have found otherwise!

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
Aww man! I was hoping for a few badges in Kanto when you said "some of Kanto".

Great hack, nonetheless. I look forward to playing the next beta.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
No problem! Thank you for telling me about the bug in my game that I probably wouldn't have found otherwise!

honestly if i wasnt so set on having a zubat as my flying-type team member, i probably wouldnt have discovered it. and i am glad i helped. btw in case Cyclone didnt tell you yet for me, i personally feel imo that CrystalDust is a better remake than Liquid Crystal. sure LC has some unique events but CrystalDust so far has stayed true to the original. btw did you ever put in a move tutor or move relearner? ive yet to get to ecruteak and am unsure as to what bill is repairing in the Pokemon Center.

Back