• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red/Blue - Gen. II Graphics And Music Patch V2.0 [FINAL VERSION RELEASED]

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Are you planning to do the same for Yellow version? I would love it, so I could play Gen I on meboy with colors *-* LOL, but Im just asking =) again thanks for this awesome hack!

Do you plan on doing a Yellow version? If not, could you explain how to do it? I'd love to have a go at trying it. Yellow is my favourite game and to do that would be amazing.

Amazing hack.
Is there anything like this for Pok?mon Yellow, or perhaps a Pok?mon Yellow remade in G/S/C?

I know it took me a while, but I finally remade this hack for Pok?mon Yellow!

Now you can enjoy Gen II graphics on mobile emulators that only support GBC mode and not SGB mode.

Download the Yellow hack here:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=372328

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 2, 2022
Hello, I would like to advise something I have noticed in your hack.
When I was playing the GFX+Music patch in Red and Blue version, I tried to trade after beat Brock, but after the trade was completed and reseted, the both files are erased by corruption, that happens with me more than twice times.
The Graphic Patch without music changes is working good. No problems with trades.
I have patched both ips in clean roms for each version and played on My OldBoy! emulator for Android devices.

I hope that information help you to perfect your patches. Sorry for any mistake with my English, is not my native language.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hm, yes, I have confirmed this is a bug. I will put a warning in the first post until I get this bug fixed. Thanks!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 2, 2022
I am glad to help, I am currently playing your hacks for fun, I will for sure beat the Graphics Patch and after you fix the GFX+Music Patch I will beat them too (Beat for me is defeat the Indigo Plateau and complete the Pokédex to get the Diploma)

I will for sure report any other bug which I find.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 25, 2016
I just found a bug with the graphics ips patches for red and blue the exp bar is changing color with the hp bar instead of being blue

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 25, 2016
thank you for clarifying this for me i thought it was bugged because in the yellow graphics mod he made i noticed he updated patch 1.1 with a blue exp bar where before it was like this

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Thanks for stepping in, Mateo, so I didn't have to type all that up (again)

Raizako, actually in V1.1 of the Yellow patch, the exp bar is only blue while playing is GBC mode. If playing the same rom in SGB mode, the exp bar will share the color of the health bar like before (exactly how Gold and Silver work in GBC vs SGB mode, as Mateo stated)

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2021
Okay, I have a question.

First off, this is one heck of an awesome edit to Pokemon Red. It definitely makes it a lot more fun to play! Great work to you and everyone else involved :)

Now, onto my question. So I'm quite familiar with how certain ROM hacking works but since you have the Crystal sound engine integrated into Pokemon Red, say I don't like one of the tracks (mainly the Kanto trainer battle theme). How could I go about replacing it? It seems that the pointers are also different and I've scoured a bunch of these threads all night and haven't found the answers I'm looking for. So say I want to replace the trainer battle theme with the rival theme, or maybe the Suicune theme, how exactly would I start about doing this?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hello!

Thanks for your compliment and your interest in my hack.

To modify this hack, you should not hex edit the rom.

Instead, clone (download a copy of) the source code:
https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gen-II

Then modify the source code and assemble the rom using our Gameboy assembler:
https://github.com/rednex/rgbds

The great advantage of using our source code instead of hex editing is that you don't have to worry at all about free space and pointer values.
The assembler arranges code and data to manage free space, and it calculates and resolves pointers for you.

This way, you can just focus your time on modding the game instead of wasting time on "clean up" and "busy work".

In your case, if you want to replace songs, just take song files from here:
https://github.com/froggestspirit/CrystalComplete/tree/master/audio/music

and put them into this folder:
https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gen-II/tree/music/crysaudio/music

Then you have to modify how songs are used in game by editing things like constants/music_constants.asm, crysaudio/red_pointers.asm, and data/map_songs.asm etc.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 5, 2018
Can you make Pokemon Green in color with gen ii graphics? Or can someone please tell me how can i do it by myself? I really want to have all 4 versions in color with gen ii graphics :) Please someone answer and thanks for this wonderful hack n.n

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2021
Here's something that I think is a tad bizarre. When I add my own custom sprites, add, not replace, it will compile fine when I do a "make red" command, but it'll delete the PNG files of those custom sprites afterwards using an RM command. I have them backed up where I can just paste them back in but that's getting irritating to do. For now, I just notice it doing it for trainer battle sprites, but that's the only thing I've dabbled in so far is adding a few new trainers. Everything else works just fine and the new battles are neat, but just having to replace those PNGs after each make clean and make red is starting to drive me a bit batty. :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 19, 2022
any chance of getting an ips for the exp bar and the captured icon similar to how the color version of this mod has a vanilla option with the added improvements?

Last edited:

Luna

Protector of Zig Lagoon
Years
Here's something that I think is a tad bizarre. When I add my own custom sprites, add, not replace, it will compile fine when I do a "make red" command, but it'll delete the PNG files of those custom sprites afterwards using an RM command. I have them backed up where I can just paste them back in but that's getting irritating to do. For now, I just notice it doing it for trainer battle sprites, but that's the only thing I've dabbled in so far is adding a few new trainers. Everything else works just fine and the new battles are neat, but just having to replace those PNGs after each make clean and make red is starting to drive me a bit batty. :)
As weird as it sounds, is the filename ".png" or ".PNG" because I ran into this exact problem in the past with pokered, and it was because the file extensions were in all caps instead of lowercase. The file extensions need to be in lowercase for the disassemblies.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 19, 2022
Also if we could get an ips that only changes the back sprites that would be cool too :) I enjoy the nostalgia from the old front sprites but the back always bothered me and your back sprites are the best!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 28, 2021
I've been playing this and I'm loving it, I just wanted to ask if there was any chance there was an EXP All that followed Gen 6 rules? I love the vanilla game, I wouldn't change anything besides the graphics, and I'm loving these, but the grinding part gets me a little... You know, as an adult... Ain't nobody got time for that hahah I don't know if like an implemented game's mechanic or if a modification of the exp all item... I'd rather get it somewhat early in the game, but that's fine too. Anyway, thanks for the hack!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 21, 2022
This is some incredible work. Thanks for making this. The only downside of this for me, is it is incompatible with the Gender Select mod/hack. If that could be somehow integrated into this then it would be without a shadow of a doubt the definitive versions of Red and Blue.

Years
This is some incredible work. Thanks for making this. The only downside of this for me, is it is incompatible with the Gender Select mod/hack. If that could be somehow integrated into this then it would be without a shadow of a doubt the definitive versions of Red and Blue.

you may need to contact the maker of the gender select mod/hack about that specific problem so that person could try to make an updated version that might work with the gen2 graphics/music patches

Days
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
So I really want to make a rom hack that includes both these graphics and rhe concept of pokemon + green hack. it would be really cool to have a green cartridge with the female protagonist green and make new sprites for the player. If anyone knows where i could request it or help make it happen let me know. I'm looking into making a pixil art that closely resembles the one made for this hack but instead reflects green from the manga.

Days
  • Seen Feb 18, 2024
Hi,
I have a problem with the rom, is it possible to convert the rom from gb to gbc? my console reads the rom as gb and I have a monochrome image instead of a color one

Back