• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen Fire red is fun

Years
Man, i really enjoy playing fire red, i think is a lot fun than the originals, of course not against the original ones, it just that frlg has more things to do.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Man, i really enjoy playing fire red, i think is a lot fun than the originals, of course not against the original ones, it just that frlg has more things to do.

Perhaps but the degree of difficulty on FRLG is arguably easier due to more moves/better movesets(like Charmander learning Metal Claw at 13. Try beating Brock without a Steel move like in RBY). Good luck in your game by the way.

Years
Perhaps but the degree of difficulty on FRLG is arguably easier due to more moves/better movesets(like Charmander learning Metal Claw at 13. Try beating Brock without a Steel move like in RBY). Good luck in your game by the way.

Oh, that would be impossible beating brock with fire-type, even in my first time playing r/b/y, picking charmander and beating gym leaders with it was hard because of type advantage, and because the squirtle line is my favorite, i just feel that blastoise has more advantage than the other two.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Oh, that would be impossible beating brock with fire-type, even in my first time playing r/b/y, picking charmander and beating gym leaders with it was hard because of type advantage, and because the squirtle line is my favorite, i just feel that blastoise has a lot variated movepool to help out.

Picking Charmander in R/B is actually pretty easy ;). Just catch two particular Pokemon in Viridian Forest in Caterpie(which evolves into Butterfree and my favorite Bug-Type) and Pikachu(Jolteon is better overall but you won't get Eevee until much later. Plus Raichu isn't so bad and can shock Misty hard while also beating your rival's Pidgeot/Blastoise). Butterfree learns Psychic moves, which are OP early on and are OP overall in Generation 1 due to the lack of Psychic counters.

Granted, if you were completely new and didn't know about above, then yeah Brock and Misty can be intimidating with Charmander.

Years
Picking Charmander in R/B is actually pretty easy ;). Just catch two particular Pokemon in Viridian Forest in Caterpie(which evolves into Butterfree and my favorite Bug-Type) and Pikachu(Jolteon is better overall but you won't get Eevee until much later. Plus Raichu isn't so bad and can shock Misty hard while also beating your rival's Pidgeot/Blastoise). Butterfree learns Psychic moves, which are OP early on and are OP overall in Generation 1 due to the lack of Psychic counters.

Granted, if you were completely new and didn't know about above, then yeah Brock and Misty can be intimidating with Charmander.

Oh thank you, i might do that while playing blue, the reason why i chose squirtle in red is because i always finded charmander the most weak of the 3 starters, for the fact of being a pure fire-type, yeah i know blastoise is weak against electric and grass-types, but that is 2 weakness, charmander is also weak not only against water, but against rock, ground, and even ice and electric as a charizard.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Oh thank you, i might do that while playing blue, the reason why i chose squirtle in red is because i always finded charmander the most weak of the 3 starters, for the fact of being a pure fire-type, yeah i know blastoise is weak against electric and grass-types, but that is 2 weakness, charmander is also weak not only against water, but against rock, ground, and even ice and electric as a charizard.

Well Rock weakness doesn?t hurt you too much since Brock in Red/Blue doesn?t know any Rock type moves. Meaning if you fought him with Charmander, then you had a shot to beat him using Ember due to his weaker Special(even though it?s not effective). Just be sure to use Potions and note when he uses Bide to Growl him so that the move fails. Now Fire Red and Leaf Green on the other hand with Rock Tomb is a real challenge. That?s why Butterfree works in Red/Blue due to the lack of Rock moves and the weak Special of Brock?s Pokemon(hence Comfusion really hurts them). Fire Red and Leaf Green though, Butterfree suffers a x4 to Rock attacks so it?d be suicide against Onix lol. If you were doing the Gen 1 remakes, I?d advise catching a Mankey and giving him Low Kick and Karate Chops.

Against Misty in FRLG, Zubat(Bug/Ghost moves against her Starmie are Super effective) and/or Pikachu are solid options. Bellsprout/Oddish are also options depending on which version you play and your willingness to train them a bit.

Last edited:
Years
Well Rock weakness doesn?t hurt you too much since Brock in Red/Blue doesn?t know any Rock type moves. Meaning if you fought him with Charmander, then you had a shot to beat him using Ember due to his weaker Special(even though it?s not effective). Just be sure to use Potions and note when he uses Bide to Growl him so that the move fails. Now Fire Red and Leaf Green on the other hand with Rock Tomb is a real challenge. That?s why Butterfree works in Red/Blue due to the lack of Rock moves and the weak Special of Brock?s Pokemon(hence Comfusion really hurts them). Fire Red and Leaf Green though, Butterfree suffers a x4 to Rock attacks so it?d be suicide against Onix lol. If you were doing the Gen 1 remakes, I?d advise catching a Mankey and giving him Low Kick and Karate Chops.

Against Misty in FRLG, Zubat(Bug/Ghost moves against her Starmie are Super effective) and/or Pikachu are solid options. Bellsprout/Oddish are also options depending on which version you play and your willingness to train them a bit.
Well, in fire red i already have a mankey in my team, that also evolved into primeape as training it, yeah i also forgot that in r/b/y, brock has no rock-type moves, so it should not be really that hard to defeat him, also in my fire red team i also have a butterfree that i decided to catch as a caterpie in viridian forest, i didn't rejected him, so i decided to have him in my team, but i will try to catch one caterpie in blue and to defeat brock with charmander.
PS: I trained my whole fire red team, that is composed of
Carl (a blastoise level 47)
Dennis (a pidgeot level 47)
Owen (a butterfree level 47)
Friedrich (a primeape level 47)
Kevin (a nidoking level 47)
and Laderick (a persian level 47)
Yeah i also catch a meowth too, i decided to evolve him to persian because is so cool and he can learn a lot of useful moves.

Last edited:
Years
And also played blue for a while, i have jolteon in my team because i realized it's better like you said, and i also have a butterfree, well i defeated brock, i am in saffron city preparing to complete the team rocket quest.
Just one question.
I have graveler, it's alright?, it's powerful?.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I personally prefer R/B/Y to FR/LG.

I didn't like the feel of the gen 3 graphics for kanto much; it didn't have the 'nostalgia' feel to me as much. Also; I didn't like that they toke out all the super fun pokemon glitches xD

Years
I personally prefer R/B/Y to FR/LG.

I didn't like the feel of the gen 3 graphics for kanto much; it didn't have the 'nostalgia' feel to me as much. Also; I didn't like that they toke out all the super fun pokemon glitches xD

Well, preference is preference, so i respect your opinion, but i like both, r/b/y and fr/lg.

Years
Honestly, the remakes were more convenient, but the OG games are just so fun to play. Looking back at my playthroughs, I honestly enjoyed playing R/B/Y more than FR because of the fact that there were so many broken things like Jolteon critting every other turn.

Well, at certain point i can understand why people enjoy more the originals than the remakes, even me, and of course i wouldn't mind doing glitches sometimes unless it deletes my save.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I'm pretty far in Leaf Green. Cinnebar I think (not picked it up in a while) Got a decent Team of:
Jolteon, Lapras, Ninetales, Tauros, Aerodactyl and Rhydon.

Going to finish it some day, it is pretty fun.

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
FireRed/LeafGreen is my go-to Pok?mon game. Well designed, true to the originals, visually appealing and consistent (no mix of sprites and low-res 3D models). And I'm one of the people who started with Red/Blue, but they simply don't hold up in a long playthrough.

Years
Aw thank you! It's probably the most badass team I've had to be honest. I normally just have 3-4 strong pokemon, then other weaker members who are lucky to get one strategic move in before fainting lol.

No problem, and is funny because in red/blue the only weaker member in my team is an vileplume called smokeweeds, because i really cared about the 5 one strong members than this one, but in fire red/leaf green all of my pok?mon are not underleveled anymore, they are now lvl-50, my vileplume winned all the battles just with luck too, before he faints haha.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
No problem, and is funny because in red/blue the only weaker member in my team is an vileplume called smokeweeds, because i really cared about the 5 one strong members than this one, but in fire red/leaf green all of my pokémon are not underleveled anymore, they are now lvl-50, my vileplume winned all the battles just with luck too, before he faints haha.

That's really good taking the time to get your team to level 50. I beat Leaf Green's Elite 4 yesterday with the team I mentioned. Really wasn't expecting to win first time because my highest was level 50, the other's were all level 45ish, and aerodactyl was level 26. I was too lazy to do extra training. But they were far easier than I remember. Jolteon came in extremely useful too, when I was expecting him to take a back seat.

Going to put the game down for a while, then replay it with a baby aerodactyl for a starter and VS seeker, see if that's any fun.

Last edited:
Years
That's really good taking the time to get your team to level 50. I beat Leaf Green's Elite 4 yesterday with the team I mentioned. Really wasn't expecting to win first time because my highest was level 50, the other's were all level 45ish, and aerodactyl was level 26. I was too lazy to do extra training. But they were far easier than I remember. Jolteon came in extremely useful too, when I was expecting him to take a back seat.

Going to put the game down for a while, then replay it with a baby aerodactyl for a starter and VS seeker, see if that's any fun.

Well, good luck replaying it.
Yeah, in red/blue i train all my team when i get into the elite four and blue (except the 6th member), because i was really prepared to take down everyone even blue, and i did it, and my red team and blue team are now in hall of fame.
Have to mention that in pokémon blue, my team is not the same as in red, i always when i play both versions, i choose to create a different team instead of having the same team.
Also have to mention that the 6th member in my red team is vileplume and in my blue team was bellsprout (replaced him with aerodactyl since cut only helps at the start of the game, and it can learn fly which is also funny since i doens't have any flying type in the teams of both games.)

Back