• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Least favourite moments in the Pokemon Anime

Years
  • Age 21
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
What are your least favourite moments in the Pokémon Anime?

Some of mine are:

- Dawn losing to Zoey in the Grand Festival Final. I didn't like how Dawn never got to built Zoey after four years of their rivalry being built up.

- Greninja getting released. The reasoning for its release felt very poor and last minute. And after all the character development it had in XYZ, releasing it like this made it more painful.

- Ash losing to Cameron in the Unova league. This loss was terrible. Cameron only brought five Pokémon to this battle, and threw out a Ferathorn against Ash's Pignite. Somehow, he still ended up beating Ash. This was a huge regress from the last few Pokémon leagues.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
The gags where Brock basically flirts with every woman he lays eye on (I'm sorry, but such a gag is NOT appropriate for a kids show, Japan or not, and besides, I really don't have much respect for people like that).

Misty being booted off the show, especially the manner in which she was booted off (they should have allowed her to pursue her goal independently, not stick her into a gym).

Degrading the Gym Leaders in Hoenn and Unova, and to a certain extent in Sinnoh, as complete pansies who can't even fight off rookies where, if they come across as impressive, it's usually at the expense of Ash and Pikachu looking grossly incompetent (seriously, other than Roxanne who at least was defeated by Pikachu, a confirmed veteran, the only Hoenn gym leader who genuinely impressed me was Brawley due to him actually posing a challenge to Ash). It also doesn't help that it ended up making Misty's situation look even WORSE by comparison.

Pokémon Contests (couldn't get into them, and besides which, they weren't even a major part of the games, so why even bother giving them focus. Had they been an actual endgoal of the games, I'd at least roll with it).

Pretty much the whole of SM's "school days" plotline which was completely unnecessary.

Oh, and Ash pretty much failing to keep promises as well.

Years
What are your least favourite moments in the Pokemon Anime?

Some of mine are:

Dawn losing to Zoey in the Grand Festaval Final.

And when Dawn left in the final DP episode.

Both of these events were the first occurrences that came to mind. I believe I was around 10-11 when the episode aired in which Dawn lost to Zoey. Admittedly, I cried for about a solid half hour after that, I was genuinely crushed. Pokemon Contests have always allured me and Dawn is my all-time favourite character so I was flabbergasted that she was defeated, I refused to fathom it.

Also, the introduction of Iris and any episode that involved her is my probably the worst in the entirety of the anime. So, essentially the whole B&W series. That's right, I said it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
Another one that comes to mind was when Dawn released Ambipom. I didn't like how the reasoning for its release was poor, given how earlier in the series Amipom's passion for contests was well detailed and explained. I also hated how Ambipom was replace with a Cyndaquil with zero personality.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Both of these events were the first occurrences that came to mind. I believe I was around 10-11 when the episode aired in which Dawn lost to Zoey. Admittedly, I cried for about a solid half hour after that, I was genuinely crushed. Pokemon Contests have always allured me and Dawn is my all-time favourite character so I was flabbergasted that she was defeated, I refused to fathom it.

Also, the introduction of Iris and any episode that involved her is my probably the worst in the entirety of the anime. So, essentially the whole B&W series. That's right, I said it.

Entire BW series? I'd argue that Sun&Moon is worse, although Acerola is winning me over.

For me... this is honestly a toughie but I'd have to argue that it's the manner in which Gary was removed as a rival for Ash. To me, there will only be one true rival and that is Gary.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Entire BW series? I'd argue that Sun&Moon is worse, although Acerola is winning me over.

For me... this is honestly a toughie but I'd have to argue that it's the manner in which Gary was removed as a rival for Ash. To me, there will only be one true rival and that is Gary.

Well, at least he actually chose to follow in his grandpa's footsteps, which is a lot better than how Misty was removed in the same region, where she was pretty much forced by her sisters to put her goal of Water Pokémon Master on the backburner to return to the Gym.

Shame that after Battle Frontier, he ended up treating Ash's sole accomplishment in AG like a sick joke by easily beating him and Pikachu with Electivire despite the fact that they A. beat a full-on legendary single-handedly, and B., unlike a similar situation at the end of the Orange Islands, Gary, having explicitly retired from Pokémon Training, should not have been able to keep up. In fact, I think that's yet another least favorite thing that occurred in the Pokémon Anime.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
May and Dawn started the downhill of the show, the anime hasn't been the same since the OS.

Ash's Phanpy and Cyndaquil evolving was a big mistake and the writer's should have left them both the way they were. They ruined their characters and screw with the OS format, AG/DP already did enough of ruin the anime, the show should have ended after Johto.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 23, 2018
I'm not up to date with the anime but I think team Rocket should be mentioned. How they never get to win and they just don't change it's path of failure, they have sad backstories like Meowth or James but from what I know they never got a happy ending.

Mayy

The Princess of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 22, 2021
Everything after the Battle Frontier series if I'm honest. To me it feels like the series lost something around the beginning of DP.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Ash's Pikachu losing to a FREAKING Snivy in the first or second episode of the Black/White anime. That was stupid.

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
The ending of every series, it always gets to me, saying good bye to the characters. Especially those you ship...

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Ash's Pikachu losing to a FREAKING Snivy in the first or second episode of the Black/White anime. That was stupid.

Yeah, and one that was literally just out the door starting on its first day under its trainer, no less. It's even worse than the time when Pikachu got humiliated by Paul's Ursaring despite the fact that Pikachu took out the same Regice that owned Paul a couple of episodes earlier (they should have used Torterra to defeat Pikachu, at least that Pokémon was close in experience level to Pikachu, being Paul's actual starter Pokémon.).

Back