The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Previous Generations
5th Gen why do people hate gen 5 so much???

Old November 11th, 2017 (2:50 PM).

Nature: Gentle
    I have played Gen 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, and I believe Gen 5 was the best storyline-wise. Pokemon, I think the only memorable ones are the snivy line, deino line, larvesta line, litwick line and maybe joltik line (which is a decent amount of pokemon, imo). Anyhow, had the gen pokemon been a complete mess, I think I would've still rated it high because of how in love I was with the story.

Unlike the previous gens, the supposed-top of the evil team is N, a guy with intensions so good that at some points I even felt like my views aligned with him more. Like I think a separate franchise could've been totally viable had the roles of the MC and N been swapped. I'm just in general a sucker for characters who aren't, for lack of a better term, black-or-white. N was just that, a character with a different point of view trying to find how the world should operate.

So even if I did play Gen 1 as a kid, I don't consider myself a Genwunner. The bad-and-good was too clear in those games, which I think was just a basic start for pokemon as a franchise to get rolling :P

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 14th, 2017 (12:10 AM).
    I swear I am not a weeaboo

Yeah, gen 5 is my favourite too. Most peoples arguments are that "they were scraping the bottom of the barrel" and "The pokemon were awful". (I don't agree with these arguments)
      Old November 14th, 2017 (12:18 AM).
      I burn!

Nature: Relaxed
        Unova was just a boring region for me. That said it had some amazing pokemon but also balanced out by some utter rubbish ones (quite literally in one case), the same for its legends which were some of the best but as a whole let down by those pathetic cloud genies.
        Old November 19th, 2017 (6:10 PM).

Nature: Quirky
          Honestly, the Pokemon aren't the problem for Gen V for me. I actually like a lot of them, even if some of them are a bit... Weird looking.

My problem is just the story and the region. Unova, especially in B/W, is just not a pretty region to look at. It was just so industrialized and dull looking; I get that it was based off of New York City and New Jersey, but still.

As for the story... Well, to be honest, I think it's less that I disliked the story, and more that I just disliked N. I found him incredibly creepy and unsettling... And I guess all the ship art with him and Hilda didn't endear him to me, either. But, yeah. Since the whole story revolved around N, it just made me dislike the game in its entirety.

That being said, I do really like B2/W2, even though I've only played it once! I think that it fixed most of the problems B/W had for me. But at the same time, I feel like B2/W2 was too little too late, especially since Gen VI came out a year later.
          Old November 20th, 2017 (9:50 AM). Edited November 20th, 2017 by Gladion.
          x Silvally

Nature: Sassy
            For people defending generation 5 here like seriously, everyone are entitled to his or her own opinions so you can chill up and accept the differing opinions of your's instead of having to attack others for not liking this generation.

The cities looked really weird to me in Unova as well as the moving sprites of the Pokemon really looked overly awkward for me when they were first revealed. I just didn't like them but I forced myself to play the game so I can migrate all my Pokemon to X when I had to. I still doesn't like how the in game looked.

Storyline was great, the nerfing of older generation Pokemon was good since I am always using new Pokemon in each new game, but that's it. Can't say I feel much for this generation; it's last in my ranking for all the generations, but yeh, I don't hate it but I don't particularly love it.

I've started trying to use the generation 5 Pokemon when I was on X and now Moon and UltraMoon and trust me, I love the Pokemon, the sprites movements were just horrible to me back then.
            ."
            - Gladion
            Old November 20th, 2017 (11:11 AM). Edited November 20th, 2017 by Mega Swadloon.
            Swadloon Trainer

Nature: Bold
              I really liked Black and white, I just wasn’t happy with Black and White 2 being so similar. That, and I think X & Y being such a step up graphically kinda swept gen 5 under the rug.
              Old November 20th, 2017 (2:17 PM). Edited November 20th, 2017 by Eco.

I already heard this before and yes, the storyline is complex, good characters, great evil team. Even the graphics are much more intense and advance in this point so basically BW and BW2 are almost perfect.

But, I think they don't. The Unova Region didn't say too much, it's pretty normal I guess and, even if there are good characters like N o Ghechis, I consider the game very plane, cold, with little sparks here and there but no so much consistent to be a great game with hours and hours of joy, because it's not. At least for me.

In fact, the 5GEN contain (for me, personally) the worst Pokémon of all.
                Old November 20th, 2017 (2:55 PM).

I don't care for much from Unova, but the main thing was the Pokemon. A lot of the designs were really bad. It's not the fact that they had so many inanimate pokemon it's that they were designed poorly. Prior generations had inanimate pokemon too, but they were so simplistic it worked. Gen 5 was more on the cartoonish/outlandish side which felt unlike pokemon at that point in time. But of course they weren't all bad, I def took some favorites from the region.

As for the story yeah it was better than the typical pokemon story line, but i never thought it was anything great still
                  Old November 22nd, 2017 (4:13 PM).

Because people hate Garbodor, even though it's a cleverly designed Pokemon. I can't call it boring or ugly when there are bad ideas e.g. Electrode and the Eeveelutions. And Arceus. Can't forget Arceus.
                    Old November 28th, 2017 (3:13 PM).

i don't undestand too,for me is my favorite gen :V
                      Old November 28th, 2017 (3:44 PM).
                      The typo Queen

Nature: Calm
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Pokémon God Team View Post
                      i don't undestand too,for me is my favorite gen :V
                      Same :3 well, second favorite, but still. I think the games were really nice. I know the pixelate images can throw some people off and the Pokemon designs aren't the best (as said by others, personally I like many of them).
                      Old November 28th, 2017 (6:48 PM).

Nature: Timid
                        I love Gen 5. I think part of the reason it gets hate is because some people didn't like Trubbish and Vanillite and other pokemon of this nature.
                        Old March 7th, 2018 (3:40 AM).
                        high as hope

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Mawa View Post
                        Same :3 well, second favorite, but still. I think the games were really nice. I know the pixelate images can throw some people off and the Pokemon designs aren't the best (as said by others, personally I like many of them).
                        I do agree with you, but I do think the Pokemon designs are pretty good. Given this was the first generation to not have a Japanese-influenced region and having Westerners design the Pokemon (especially James Turner with his factor in creating a few evolution lines of this gen) definitely made the designs feel different from anything that came before.
                        Old March 7th, 2018 (6:52 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by KorpiklaaniVodka v2.0 View Post
                          Because people hate Garbodor, even though it's a cleverly designed Pokemon. I can't call it boring or ugly when there are bad ideas e.g. Electrode and the Eeveelutions. And Arceus. Can't forget Arceus.
                          Garbodor is a true monster imo,I love that thing,people forget this thing is just over 6 foot tall and thats pretty freaky,its also is pretty popular in the TCG,but I think thats more to do with how it can be used.

Gen 5 wasnt bad,my most hated pokemon design wise is Gloom so go figure.
                          https://youtu.be/hjGxbbaQv3E < Video top 15 favourite cards of all time!! CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL ;) This just one episode,cant get my URL yet till I get 1000 subs,cheack out my stuff if you'd like,subscribe and become apart of my community :)
                          Old March 17th, 2018 (1:25 AM).
                          Anything goes, even Chinese

One person I asked who dislikes this generation says that it's "paced too slow", and example being Burgh's gym, and Team Plasma being "dumb".

Also, "durr ice cream durr trash bag durr generic duck durr".

I only listen to high-quality video game rips.
                          Old March 17th, 2018 (2:34 AM).
                          the Alolan naturalist the Alolan naturalist is offline

Gen 5 is one of my favorites! I love its design, its music (except the three musketeers shuffle-esque music, which annoys me), the fact that the postgame has so many new locations, the sweeping story which actually gives gym leaders something to do, the fact that is has a coherent sequel, the seasons, the dark/light grass and shaking grass/bubbling water thing, the PWT and white treehollow/black city, and there are so many well-designed pokemon (even some I didn't like at first, like Klingklang, I now really like and I don't mind the ice cream and garbage lines at all).
                            I will say though, that the first time I played the games they felt weird, like not pokemon-y. Something about the battle screen (the sprites, both how they look and how they are animated, but also the background) which feel cheap and kind of suck tbh. I also felt like some designs didn't look like pokemon (haxorus comes to mind) but I no longer mind that., Overall, I think these games are amazing.
                            Old March 18th, 2018 (2:32 PM). Edited March 18th, 2018 by HeroLinik.
                            The Chosen Hero
                            • EO

Nature: Modest
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by the Alolan naturalist View Post
                            I will say though, that the first time I played the games they felt weird, like not pokemon-y. Something about the battle screen (the sprites, both how they look and how they are animated, but also the background) which feel cheap and kind of suck tbh. I also felt like some designs didn't look like pokemon (haxorus comes to mind) but I no longer mind that., Overall, I think these games are amazing.
                            Seconded. I had somewhat similar views to you when I started playing BW for the first time. in that it all felt pretty weird compared to my previous experience with HGSS. However most of the ire was drawn to the cries, because they all sounded a lot different to the first four generations, and a lot were pretty similar to each other as well. Over time I grew to appreciate the generation, even moreso when playing through B2W2, which ironed out some of the problems in BW, and now B2W2 are, in my opinion, the strongest Pokemon games out there, and my favourites.

As for the Pokemon, I know this has been brought up a lot: "HURR DURR THEY MAKE ICE CREAM POKEMON HURR DURR THEY MAKE CHANDELIER POKEMON HURR DURR THEY MAKE GEAR POKEMON BLAH BLAH GF RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS!!!!" and of course we'd bring up Gen I's laundry list of inanimate object Pokemon, such as Grimer, Voltorb and Magnemite, but a worrying trend I've started seeing is people defending the former statement, claiming statements like just because it was acceptable in the past, it doesn't mean it's acceptable now. Honestly, this grinds my Klinkla-er, gears.

GTXV egg swap winner
                            3DS FC: 5301-2379-3187

IGNs: X: Bowser | AS: Bowser | Moon: Link | Ultra Moon: HeroLinik
                            My Friend Safari is Water and it contains Octillery, Frogadier and Wartortle.

Watch me on the YouTubes!
                            Old March 29th, 2018 (6:56 PM).
                            The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D's Avatar
                            The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D is offline

I never really hated it, it just neve caught my attention

Quick Reply