• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

♠ The Art of RNG ♠ | RNG Guides [OLD]

Bring challenges back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Years
I'll join too, I know 5th gen standard, egg, and a little cgear abuse...

I'm struggling with both Entralink RNG and TID/SID abuse in 4th gen.
For my Entralink RNG, I'm consistently hitting within 5 frames of my target delay (5225, if anyone is curious) but I can never exactly hit my frame. It's frustrating, to say the least, and I've spent close to 5 hours trying to get it right. Anyone have any hints?

That and I just don't understand ID RNG in Plainum. At all.

what part of ID RNG in platinum that you do not understand? Recap what you did and I may be able to help you with that

Well, maybe I know something? ID RNG should be RNG abusing your TID/SID for a Shiny Pokemon, right?
I know that one in Platinum. I've done that for about three times (these are the times when I succeeded).
It's pretty simple. Should I explain here? And I'm talking about RNG abusing to get Shiny Pokemon by hatching eggs, not catching Shiny Pokemon.

huh? You're confusing me. ID/SID RNG is probably for shiny wild pokemons (mostly legendaries). If it is about eggs, there is no need for ID/AID abuse at all.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Erm, you need your ID and SID for Shiny Pokemon from eggs. All Shiny Pokemon (excluding Wonder Card Shiny Pokemon) need your TID/SID. The combination of your TID and SID are used to create PIDs. And the value of a Pokemon's PID determines shininess and more things (excluding IVs, I guess).

johnny18

Years
Erm, you need your ID and SID for Shiny Pokemon from eggs. All Shiny Pokemon (excluding Wonder Card Shiny Pokemon) need your TID/SID.
Yes, it is true but for shiny eggs, any combination of ID and SID will work just fine. ID/SID RNG is only used to get a nice ID and in 4th gen, to catch a shiny wild legendary (mostly) with good IVs.
The combination of your TID and SID are used to create PIDs. And the value of a Pokemon's PID determines shininess and more things (excluding IVs, I guess).
This sounds like you are talking about 5th gen abuse but the topic is about 4th gen abuse. In 4th gen, the IVs are tied with shininess, PID, ability etc. That's why it is almost impossible for you to get a wild shiny pokemon with good IVs with a random ID/SID combination in 4th gen unless you get extremely lucky with your ID and that's why ID/SID RNG comes in handy.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Oh, sorry about that! Well, I'd also like to ID abuse and get a good ID and SID, but I have gone this far...how could I restart? Maybe I should...but still, the delays and all that? That's a big problem.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I've been Googling and I think I've gone through at least three different guides by now, trying to find out how RNGing actually works. All the guides I've read only seem to talk about what the individual needs to do to get their proper Pokémon; they never seem to explain how they game processes the information we feed it to give us the results we're looking for.

I think that if we did more to elaborate this, more people would be able to grasp the entire picture, maybe even without other forms of communication outside of text. Without this information, they'll just dive in, mess things up, and start bombarding others with noob questions about why they didn't get their flawless shiny legendary. (And we all know we've been guilty of similar issues.) By giving examples of mistakes and how the game responds in patterns during such mistakes, we could also help explain to people how the game spat out the results it did--ultimately narrowing down the possible things the person messed up on.

This way they don't have to restart, praying they get every single little detail on the bulls-eye, without even really knowing what went wrong. They'll be able to pinpoint the human error and eliminate it within the first few tries, knowing full well that none of the other elements were the issue. All this is really offering is just the proper means of practice; if the individual was without a clue as to what went wrong, if they're smart they'll end up looking for the thing that caused their problem: they'll try to control all but one function and fluctuate that one while the others remain fixed. If that wasn't it, they'll do so with another function, ultimately leading to a ridiculously grueling process of trial and error.

If you get what I'm saying, does anyone else agree with this? Or have I simply been looking in the wrong places, where the game's processing hasn't been addressed?

Well, there are a lot of factors in RNG abuse that a lot of people don't understand it took me a while to understand. When you start the game at a certain time, the game generates a seed. You try to manipulate what the seed is by starting it at a particular hour, minute and second. You can also use keypresses to change which seed you hit. If you do a different keypress but same time, you will get a different seed. Also, there is a little annoyance called timer0, which is a seed encryption variable that is quite a bit more difficult to control. You will usually have two timer0s per game. It is speculated that timer0 is related to which part of the second you start the game in, with one being in the earlier part of the second and the other being in the latter. This is by no means confirmed, just speculation from experience.

With capture RNG, you first interact with the IVRNG, which determines the IVs (Individual Values) of your pokemon with a max of 31 per stat. So on this seed with capture RNG, every Pokemon you encounter will have the same IVs but a different PID (Pokemon Identification Number).

The PIDRNG (Pokemon Identification Number Random Number Generator) is what determines shininess, nature, gender, and ability of each Pokemon you encounter. The PIDRNG is separated by frames and each frame have a PID on it. You may find duplicate PIDs on the list, but usually each frame is different. Now, the game also does interesting things that advance the PIDRNG through each frame. Any time you walk through the grass or a cave with wild Pokemon in it, the game advances the PIDRNG by 1-2 frames per step. Also, by listening to a Chatot's customer chatter, it advances the PIDRNG by one frame each time. Also, each time an NPC that does random movement moves, it advances the PIDRNG. Battles advance the PIDRNG and IVRNG as well. Also, the C-Gear advances the PIDRNG by a frame every ~1.7 seconds. There are other ways to advance the PIDRNG, but these ways are usually the most common.

The whole point of RNG is to manipulate all of these factors to get the Pokemon that you want. If you want me to continue to elaborate, let me know... I could probably ramble on for a bit longer.

Hm?
I made it work previously on Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 15..
I can't say that it "worked just fine" but it worked "fine enough" xD

It calculated everything right.. things like "invisible checkboxes" were annoying but not impossible to deal with :3

Oh, very good! You got a lot farther with it than I ever did, of course I was running PCLinuxOS KDE.

Yeah, you pretty much have to like the look of the shiny to want to put the effort in... But sometimes the final evolution will look awsome so that's what I go by. I've been working on my collection of shinies based on which ones I personally like, either because I like the Poke or because I like the coloration on that particular one.... But in my case there are less than half I dont like... So I'm pretty much working on collecting all eventually.

I'm not a big fan of some shinies as well, usually if I'm breeding I'll decide which one to do by what I like more... but with capture I usually prefer non-shiny especially in 4th gen due to the whole abusing IDs and stuff.

Might as well put this here... The other RNG Mac helped me out with a while ago:

498.gif

Tepig | Level 5
eb | 46682 | White
Adamant | Blaze | 31 31 31 05 31 31
Tackle | Tail Whip | - | - |​

Props to Legendary FSK for being first to show me the layout. =]

Congrats again, eb ^^ I can't believe you abused your starter right off the bat xD

Well, my seconds might be messed up. It's random every time. I tried calibrating yesterday and got 11 seconds for each of my calibration attempts (I did it twice).
There was one time I calibrated and I got 14 seconds. My delay rate is 497-513.
Weirdly, how could the seconds rate change? And using timers is a bit hard...it runs pretty fast. Should I use it with speakers? My first calibration was a Moltres capture in Mt. Silver and my second and third calibrations were a Zapdos capture in the Power Plant. Maybe that will help clear things up?
And also...a bit off-topic, but I'm wondering if someone can help me check the IVs of my newest but still unavailable RNG abuse project later on... I use HeartGold to RNG, which is a pain due to delays. Black and White RNG abuse is less of a pain, but I use a flash cart. (So much for getting Nobunaga's Rayquaza...and so much for getting Zekrom)

Are you getting different seconds each time you calibrate? If so, are you starting the game at the same second each time? For example, starting at 30 seconds and consistently getting 41 seconds means your calibrated second is 11. Or are you actually trying to RNG a pokemon? If this, you might have too wide of a search in Seed to Time. Try -100,+100 delay and -1,+1 second.

I'll join too, I know 5th gen standard, egg, and a little cgear abuse...

I'm struggling with both Entralink RNG and TID/SID abuse in 4th gen.
For my Entralink RNG, I'm consistently hitting within 5 frames of my target delay (5225, if anyone is curious) but I can never exactly hit my frame. It's frustrating, to say the least, and I've spent close to 5 hours trying to get it right. Anyone have any hints?

That and I just don't understand ID RNG in Plainum. At all.

Entralink abuse is all about hitting delay and then praying you get the right nature because right now it's rather difficult to control the PIDRNG with the C-gear on. Luckily, Smogon has been doing a lot of research on this topic.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4106028&postcount=12628

Now for Platinum ID abuse, you need to start your game at the end of the first timer, then hit A at the tv screen at the end of the second timer. I recommend a delay over 7000... it allows me enough time to go through and enter my name and everything and still have around 20 seconds to wait before I hit OK at the tv screen. When you first see the tv screen, it takes a few seconds before you can even hit A, so allowing more time is always good.

Well, maybe I know something? ID RNG should be RNG abusing your TID/SID for a Shiny Pokemon, right?
I know that one in Platinum. I've done that for about three times (these are the times when I succeeded).
It's pretty simple. Should I explain here? And I'm talking about RNG abusing to get Shiny Pokemon by hatching eggs, not catching Shiny Pokemon.

You need to know your TID/SID in order to get shiny Pokemon. You don't need to abuse your IDs to get these, though.

Last edited:

oocyst

SOFTware
Years
^Huge post tl;dr

Did two RNGs because I can :

592.png

diveball.png
netball.png
Frillish
Water Absorb|lvl. 6|Bold
31|7|31|31|31|31
Bubble|Water Sport|Absorb
Semi-Redis

646.png

diveball.png
Kyurem
Pressure|lvl. 75|Modest|HP Fire
31|26|31|30|31|30
Glaciate|Dragon Pulse|Imprison|Endeavour
Non Redis

Frillish is my second shiny capture ever! I'm getting better and better, next up is either the roamer or maybe entralink but I have no idea how to do those ;;

Kyurem was so hard to catch omg he kept killing me

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
I sometimes get different seconds when I calibrate.
Here's my seconds and delay information:

Seconds: 14, 11, 11, 13, 13, 13, 13 (Range: 11-14)
Delay: 489, 513 511, 501, 497, 495, 499 (Range: 489-513)

And I am also trying to RNG a Pokemon. Whenever I RNG abuse, I use these settings in Seed to Times:

Delays +10 -10 / Seconds +0 -0

And what do these settings actually do?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
^Huge post tl;dr

Did two RNGs because I can :

592.png

diveball.png
netball.png
Frillish
Water Absorb|lvl. 6|Bold
31|7|31|31|31|31
Bubble|Water Sport|Absorb
Semi-Redis

646.png

diveball.png
Kyurem
Pressure|lvl. 75|Modest|HP Fire
31|26|31|30|31|30
Glaciate|Dragon Pulse|Imprison|Endeavour
Non Redis

Frillish is my second shiny capture ever! I'm getting better and better, next up is either the roamer or maybe entralink but I have no idea how to do those ;;

Kyurem was so hard to catch omg he kept killing me

Ooh, congratulations, Rednael on your captures! They are excellent -- I really like Wingull's shiny sprite and Kyurem with HP Fire is <333 Entralink is a huge pain in the butt, but there is research going on on controlling the PIDRNG in there to make it less difficult.

I sometimes get different seconds when I calibrate.
Here's my seconds and delay information:

Seconds: 14, 11, 11, 13, 13, 13, 13 (Range: 11-14)
Delay: 489, 513 511, 501, 497, 495, 499 (Range: 489-513)

And I am also trying to RNG a Pokemon. Whenever I RNG abuse, I use these settings in Seed to Times:

Delays +10 -10 / Seconds +0 -0

And what do these settings actually do?

I ask again, are you starting the game consistently on the same second and then spamming A to get to continue screen? Your seconds should never fluctuate really, especially if you hit A at 30 seconds every time.

Delays +10 -10 / Seconds +0 -0 - This is your delay and second range as shown in seed to time. By increasing delay to +50, -50, it will show 50 delay up from your target and 50 delay under. Seconds is the same thing, but it'll show seconds below and above your target delay.

Once you can get rid of your 'fluctuating' second, I'd recommend trying -25,+25 delay and stay with the -0,+0 second.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
What do you mean by above and below? This is confusing.
And I do spam A to get to the Continue screen, but sometimes I just touch. I guess that's the problem. I have to stick to one type of getting into the game.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
By above I mean above your target second or delay, and by below I mean below your target second or delay. And I only spam A when I am calibrating. :3

johnny18

Years
What do you mean by above and below? This is confusing.
And I do spam A to get to the Continue screen, but sometimes I just touch. I guess that's the problem. I have to stick to one type of getting into the game.
What he means is this
if your target delay is 677 for example, by putting delays +10 -10, the RNG reporter will show you the possible range of delays you may hit from 677 - 10 to 677 + 10. This also applies to second. That's why we suggest you to put the second as seconds +0 -0 so that you do not have to worry about the second, just delays. Hope this make sense to you.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I don't have time to lay out the challenge RNG in a fancy way, but I finally got round to doing it \o/ I RNGed Floony! <3 Capture RNG on Route 13 (I think... idr Unova) and it was a shiny female with 31/x/30/31/30/31 and Unburden. Not perfect, but it'll do me. Floony has been an extremely special Pokemon to me as anyone that knows me well will know, so yeah - can't wait for next time! As for future topics, I'd quite like one dedicated to cute Pokemon... I'm a big fan ;]

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I don't have time to lay out the challenge RNG in a fancy way, but I finally got round to doing it \o/ I RNGed Floony! <3 Capture RNG on Route 13 (I think... idr Unova) and it was a shiny female with 31/x/30/31/30/31 and Unburden. Not perfect, but it'll do me. Floony has been an extremely special Pokemon to me as anyone that knows me well will know, so yeah - can't wait for next time! As for future topics, I'd quite like one dedicated to cute Pokemon... I'm a big fan ;]

Very nice Floony! I updated the original post with your accomplishment.

Remember everyone, the challenge ends tonight at 11:59 PM EST so make sure you get your submissions in!

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
How have I only just heard about this!?!?!?!? Well Mac I guess you beat me to it and created this place. I'd love to join!

My latest abuse (kinda)

Platinum
OT: George
ID: 27227

I was gonna abuse this but my taught my friend to do it instead however I will probably RNG'ing most of the pokes.

EDIT:
Challenge complete!
I've RNG'd this guy because I love Tentacruel and it was my 1st successful IV breed back in the days before RNG'ing =')

007.png
072.png
007.png

Tentacool ♂ Lv.23
OT: George | ID: 17771
Timid | Liquid Ooze
31, 12, 31, 31, 31, 31
Acid, Toxic Spikes, BubbleBeam, Wrap
Valley Windworks | Fully Redis​

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2020
Okay, I'm attempting to RNG my Id's again. I've hit my target delay fairly consistently, but I'm not getting the ID/SID combo I want.

What I did:
Started the first timer when I set the time.
Hit A to enter the game when my first timer went off.
Went through the opening of the game, entered my name, etc.
Hit A to dismiss the TV screen when my second timer went off, thus hitting my target delay (6524).

I was aiming for ID 63372 SID 10001 (makes two flawless spreads shiny!)
I got ID 28818 SID 45729 (doesn't work :/)

Any ideas?

johnny18

Years
Okay, I'm attempting to RNG my Id's again. I've hit my target delay fairly consistently, but I'm not getting the ID/SID combo I want.

What I did:
Started the first timer when I set the time.
Hit A to enter the game when my first timer went off.
Went through the opening of the game, entered my name, etc.
Hit A to dismiss the TV screen when my second timer went off, thus hitting my target delay (6524).

I was aiming for ID 63372 SID 10001 (makes two flawless spreads shiny!)
I got ID 28818 SID 45729 (doesn't work :/)

Any ideas?
open your RNG reporter and look on the right hand. There should be a title "Seed Finder" to it. Put the day, month, year, hour, minute of the ID that you are trying to hit. The min/max delay area is min/max delay that you originally put on the place with the title "Shiny PID." On the "Trainer ID Obtained" box, put the ID that you get which is 28818. I wonder though, how do you know that you hit your delay?

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2020
When I put my obtained ID into the right side of Pandora's Box, it says that I hit my delay even though I got the wrong ID.

johnny18

Years
When I put my obtained ID into the right side of Pandora's Box, it says that I hit my delay even though I got the wrong ID.
look at the second you hit, it may be the cause. Sometimes RNG reporter gives me two seed, both with the same delay but different second.

How have I only just heard about this!?!?!?!? Well Mac I guess you beat me to it and created this place. I'd love to join!

My latest abuse (kinda)

Platinum
OT: George
ID: 27227

I was gonna abuse this but my taught my friend to do it instead however I will probably RNG'ing most of the pokes.

EDIT:
Challenge complete!
I've RNG'd this guy because I love Tentacruel and it was my 1st successful IV breed back in the days before RNG'ing =')

007.png
072.png
007.png

Tentacool ♂ Lv.23
OT: George | ID: 17771
Timid | Liquid Ooze
31, 12, 31, 31, 31, 31
Acid, Toxic Spikes, BubbleBeam, Wrap
Valley Windworks | Fully Redis​
How dare you to RNG his awesome mon before I do JK :D

Last edited:

loucas

100% hot
Years
My Entry

:) mac said i should join this Club

so i Proudly Present

592.png

Frillish
OT:Alexia ID:30012
Lv.21
Nature: Modest Ability: Water Absorb
on a Heal Ball
Driftveil City
somewhat vain

30/14/31/30/31/31 HP FIRE 70​

i wanted a frillish coz it's like on of the cutest critter in GEN V
now where can i find a sprite for her?

alas, it works.

thanks a lot MAC :)

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
My Entry

:) mac said i should join this Club

so i Proudly Present

Frillish
Lv.21
MODEST
on a Heal Ball
Driftveil City
somewhat vain

30/14/31/30/31/31 HP FIRE 70​

now where can i find a sprite for her?

Congratulations! I'll add you to the list of folks that have completed the challenge. I answered you on IRC but others might be interested so...

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites.html

That's a good place to get sprites. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back