Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #176    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:23 AM).
weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is offline
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Posts: 2,155

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CidHazard View Post
    SM ratings are where it should be... If you look at the currently airing shows right now and you'll see just how top heavy the Japanese animation ratings are. Pokemon will never be able to crack the top five because of:

    Sazae-chan, Shin-chan, Doreomon, Moruko-chan, and Oh yeah One Piece, DB super, Detective Conan... not to mention Pre-cure.

    The show could probably hit the top 5 in the 90's when Pokemon Exploded in popularity, similar to how Yokai Watch did it a couple years ago. but both shows are where they're suppose to be. Sazae-chan, Shin-chan, Doreomon, Moruko-chan, Detective Conan are all super popular shows aimed at all audiences, Young to Old and all those in between watch and love the show to death (I'm biased towards Doreamon and Conan myself XD)

    Shounen anime like One Piece and DB Super so popular in Japan that you can literally ask some random kid/Teen on the street about the latest Episode/Chapter.

    That's what the Pokemon Anime is competing with... timeless shows, so engraved in the lives of audiences that they always go back to it time and time and again. Really Pokemon consistently cracking the top ten after all these years is impressive enough if you ask me.

    Quote:
    Additionaly

    Sazae-chan, Shin-chan, Doreamon, Moruko-chan are all old ass japanese cartoons... how old?

    Sazea-chan the show that consistently tops the TV animated chart has been airing since 1969 it has 7500+ episodes...

    Doreamon (Arguably my favorite japanese cartoon) 1972 with 1700+ episodes the series was revived in 2005 after fan reception and still airs to this day...

    Shin-chan - 1992 980+ episodes

    Chibi Maruko-chan? - 1986 - 1992 142 episodes and a 1995 - Present with 1041 episodes.

    All of these shows have also been extremely popular manga/news paper comics... so they where ingrained in the minds of the japanese populates.

    Now tell me... how are you going to compete with that? Even One Piece... ONE PIECE!!! can barely compete with those shows in terms of ratings...

    All of the shows I also mentioned above all wen't on brief hiatuses on the turn of the century. So it was much easier for Pokemon to hit the top 5 when it was the "IT" thing in japan... Now tho all of the shows are back and Pokemon isn't the "IT" show anymore... that's Yokai watch which (as I've stated a thousand times before) slowly declining in popularity.

    It's amazing that Pokemon of all things has aired for this long. Just like Mobile Suit Gundam... Yu-gi-oh... and Bayblade as long as somebody is buying the games/toys/merch... the show isn't going to die.

    You know, Pokémon, especially the original series, was very well known among Japan and actually timeless (heck, even kids who most likely weren't even OLD enough to have watched the original series as it aired at the very least have at the very least heard of Misty and Brock, and a lot of them actually want those two, and Serena for that matter, to make a return. That sounds a whole lot like its timeless.), so I don't buy that claim at all. And considering Pokémon right now is essentially a Western executive-run show right now in all but name (the writers have little say at this point, and all the decisions are essentially made by executives, just like in the West as you claimed earlier), if the anime is going low on ratings and, by this point, box office numbers (the Hoopa and Volcanion movies were worse box office bombs than even Pokémon Heroes back in 2002 [in fact, the Hoopa movie did so poorly that the guys who generally publish box office receipts for any newly airing movies didn't even BOTHER to post the revenue until well after its airing, it did THAT badly, and the Volcanion movie apparently did even worse than that.], and based on some of the negative feedback I've heard of on Twitter and even shortly before the film's release, the recent movie's definitely going to be a box office bomb.), it's pretty obvious that the plug needs to be pulled, top 10 or not (and at this rate, Pokémon's barely even making the top 10 anyways, many times actually dropping from even that). Here, even if it had marketing potential, if an executive sees low ratings, they pull it off the air, even if it IS selling toys. And for the record, the whole reason the films are made since Jirachi Wishmaker is as an excuse to distribute mythical Pokémon, so if they do poorly there, they failed at their objective of marketing.

    Either way, as it is Pokémon is not doing too hot at all, and quite frankly should have been cancelled. I know if I were a Japanese executive and I saw the bad ratings, I wouldn't even CARE if it's selling merchandise, I'd STILL cancel it precisely BECAUSE it's getting bad ratings.

    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #177    
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:41 AM).
    jjc927 jjc927 is offline
       
      Join Date: Aug 2016
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 484

      Children's cartoons like Pokémon are made to sell the merchandise and the games. As long as it is getting money from those and the network is getting the advertising dollars, it's going to stay on.

      Reply With Quote
        #178    
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (9:02 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by weedle_mchairybug.
      weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is offline
         
        Join Date: Apr 2005
        Posts: 2,155

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by jjc927 View Post
        Children's cartoons like Pokémon are made to sell the merchandise and the games. As long as it is getting money from those and the network is getting the advertising dollars, it's going to stay on.

        Try telling that to the likes of NBC's Super Mario World. Oh, wait! You can't! That got cancelled a long time ago within a single season with no real ending, all because of bad ratings even when it actually SOLD several copies of the eponymous game.

        And for the record, in order to make a huge amount of advertising money, they'd ALSO need high ratings. That's also why a lot of shows actually get cancelled if they fail to make high ratings. That especially goes for the Pokémon movies, which also are pretty much advertisements for the Mythical Pokémon ever since Jirachi Wishmaker, and considering how badly the Hoopa and Volcanion movies have done, they've utterly FAILED in that objective. The price of the mythical Pokémon is essentially the same as the movie tickets, since you get the Pokémon for free if you go see the movie and pay for the ticket. And if the box office is a bust, that means they've failed to sell enough Mythical Pokémon, ergo, a marketing disaster. That also applies to the show especially with its low ratings, low ratings = low revenue, advertising or otherwise. And there are PLENTY of ways people could get the new games and merchandise besides watching the show. They could hear about a new game from Famitsu or CoroCoro, so we can't say the anime is the one that's driving people to see it. If anything, the anime's a POOR way to determine if people are getting merchandise. One could just as easily not even see or have even heard about the anime yet still get merchandise just by looking at a Sears catalogue or looking up CoroCoro/Famitsu. Heck, my decision to get Gold and Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, the First Gen Remakes, and DP was primarily due to Nintendo Power and the internet, and the anime had very little, if any role in my decision (in fact, when I got those games, especially Generation 3, I wasn't even WATCHING Pokémon anymore).

        And my point still stands, most executives will pull the plug if there is any failure in revenue, whether it's very low ratings or a box office disaster, many times not even CARING if there's other factors in play, meaning Pokémon definitely would have been cancelled a long time ago because of that, and certainly today considering the sordid ratings for SM and the likely bomb that is this current movie. If I were a Japanese executive, like I said, I would have cancelled Pokémon specifically BECAUSE it turned out bad ratings, not even caring if it sold any merchandise or games because, if it's got bad ratings, it's a failure, no questions asked.

        Reply With Quote
          #179    
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:24 PM).
        CidHazard's Avatar
        CidHazard CidHazard is offline
        just a miserable pile of secrets
           
          Join Date: Sep 2016
          Location: From Parts Unknown
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Careful
          Posts: 462

          LOL I feel like we've had this debate thousands of times now
          weedle_mchairybug... it never gets old :D

          We've already talked about the Mario show dude... That show was an American cartoon produced my DIC Entertainment intended to only run for 12 episodes. We're not talking about Japanese television here. That show didn't even touched Japanese shores.

          Yu-gi-oh and Beyblade still gets animated adaptions... and they don't even touch the ratings board. they've been on air since what 2000? The only thing keeping those shows afloat is one thing Merchendise.

          Even Gundam one of the grandfathers of modern anime... only live thru merch. By your logic the show is an absolute failure right?

          So tell me how those shows are still ongoing to this day and yet they don't really make much revenue of ad's from TV?

          This is never going to end :D since both of us aren't going to budge on our opinions. You have more knowledge when it comes to US serialization, Studios, and shows and probably live in america while I've studied Japanese Television studios, culture, Japanese media and lived there for a time.

          We're never going to see eye too eye on this. But hey doesn't mean I don't like the never ending debate. (^ω^ )

          __________________
          Don't be ashamed of what you love... even if other people find it embarrassing or pathetic embrace it... Love what you love, you'll be happier that way.
          Reply With Quote
            #180    
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:18 AM).
          weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is offline
             
            Join Date: Apr 2005
            Posts: 2,155

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by CidHazard View Post
            LOL I feel like we've had this debate thousands of times now
            weedle_mchairybug... it never gets old :D

            We've already talked about the Mario show dude... That show was an American cartoon produced my DIC Entertainment intended to only run for 12 episodes. We're not talking about Japanese television here. That show didn't even touched Japanese shores.

            Yu-gi-oh and Beyblade still gets animated adaptions... and they don't even touch the ratings board. they've been on air since what 2000? The only thing keeping those shows afloat is one thing Merchendise.

            Even Gundam one of the grandfathers of modern anime... only live thru merch. By your logic the show is an absolute failure right?

            So tell me how those shows are still ongoing to this day and yet they don't really make much revenue of ad's from TV?

            This is never going to end :D since both of us aren't going to budge on our opinions. You have more knowledge when it comes to US serialization, Studios, and shows and probably live in america while I've studied Japanese Television studios, culture, Japanese media and lived there for a time.

            We're never going to see eye too eye on this. But hey doesn't mean I don't like the never ending debate. (^ω^ )

            If they make little ratings, they shouldn't make significantly high revenue especially from advertising those stuff, period. Merely selling a product is not going to be enough. Don't forget that's EXACTLY what Super Mario World did for us Americans and presumably Europeans regarding its TV show and the game. The TV show was meant to market the game, arguably succeeded on that front by even selling some. It still made zero difference for the executives.

            And even if we are to go by your examples of Beyblade and Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon's actually pretty different in that regard because a whole lot of people can find out about, not to mention play the games without even WATCHING the anime, just going for different sources as a reason to get them. CoroCoro Magazine, for one. Maybe also Weekly Famitsu as well. And they can also get merchandise without having recently watched the anime. As a matter of fact, I learned of the Japanese merchandising for Misty last year and now on Tumblr of all places, and I even went to great lengths to make sure I get at least the 20th anniversary figure (and would have gotten the one for this year, a Gachapon figure, if the preorders didn't run out), and in fact, the 20th anniversary figurine even was one of the reasons why I modified the boycott was modified specifically to exempt Misty-related products. And as I pointed out, I didn't even need the anime to get the Gen 3 games, and even with Gen 2 and Gen 4 where I watched a bit of it but stopped for various reasons, they played a very minimal reason in my trying to get it. If I could get the games or even merchandising without even watching the anime at all, or at least having it play so minor of a role that it wasn't even worth citing it as a reason, I'm definitely sure the Japanese can do the exact same thing, which is why using the anime as a means to sell merch is actually a horrible way to gauge whether it actually IS doing well because there's far too many factors besides the anime to take into account. Heck, I'm pretty sure the guys who are doing Pokemon Go haven't even focused on the anime, either. Now, if they did a survey and it's made clear that a majority of people got the game/merch specifically because of the anime, like what Club Nintendo did when asking what motivated them to buy Nintendo products, then I'll take back what I said.

            And it still doesn't change that the ratings on Pokemon are doing terribly enough that it if anything WOULD be on the chopping block. And while there is a silver lining in that the recent movie is making the number 1 spot in the box office despite prior criticism among Japanese critics (not to mention the Twitter outrage), we can't say whether it will be a very huge success even WITH that (the Diancie Movie was the previous film to make #1 in the box office, and while doing better than Pokemon Heroes ultimately, it so underperformed otherwise that they actually fired the guy who wrote the movies since the Celebi movie and replaced him because of it, based on what Dogasu said here: http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/old_news_archive/january_2015.html ).

            Reply With Quote
              #181    
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:27 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by CidHazard.
            CidHazard's Avatar
            CidHazard CidHazard is offline
            just a miserable pile of secrets
               
              Join Date: Sep 2016
              Location: From Parts Unknown
              Age: 22
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Careful
              Posts: 462

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
              If they make little ratings, they shouldn't make significantly high revenue especially from advertising those stuff, period. Merely selling a product is not going to be enough. Don't forget that's EXACTLY what Super Mario World did for us Americans and presumably Europeans regarding its TV show and the game. The TV show was meant to market the game, arguably succeeded on that front by even selling some. It still made zero difference for the executives.

              Weedle... the numbers we're pulling are just from the Kanto prefecture in japan... There are seven in total. If we're pulling numbers from the entirety of japan... If we where then we'd see more re-runs and Japanese cartoons like Doreamon in the top 10 maybe with One piece sneaking in there somewhere.

              In truth the numbers we're seeing only reflect what those in Kanto are watching. And only a fraction of what we're seeing from japan.

              Also, Super Mario World is a horrible example dude. As it never aired in japan and really in all forms western base. From the Animation studio too the writers Nintendo only gave them permission to use their copyrighted materials.

              Japan also doesn't have a bagillion different channels/networks with shows that compete with one another. In the US unless you have a solid following, your gone the next month... seriously its messed up how many promising shows get the boot after a couple of episodes. If the show's successful then the show is extended beyond its shelf life. Japanese shows also don't compete with reality show garbage, that monopolize the ratings.

              Western shows eat each other, leaving the strong to either end on a high note or slowly fade to mediocrity and die. The creators don't really have a say if they're shows get cancelled right? Its all "The executives" and unless the creator is super influential/rich or there's enough of a cult following for the show so they could at least get a movie that ties off the lose ends or if they're lucky another season. Most shows also get cancelled in the middle of their season...

              In Japan the creators have a say to whether the show continues or not. What if the animation studio's already fully booked or their contract ran out for the season? they can just find another studio to make the show for them. Most channels also have tons of slots for different shows, unless its primetime.

              It's up to Nintendo if they wan't to keep the show alive or not... not some TV executive.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
              And even if we are to go by your examples of Beyblade and Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon's actually pretty different in that regard because a whole lot of people can find out about, not to mention play the games without even WATCHING the anime, just going for different sources as a reason to get them.

              Both weekly Famitsu and Corocoro only provide coverage and a review. They won't help to sustain the popularity of the game. Not to mention that kid's don't tend to buy those magazines... as they are geared towards teen/young adults.

              Since both Beyblade and Yugioh both have healthy fanbases who can play the games nowadays. Then the anime should've been canceled a long time ago by your logic. Both shows, just like Pokemon, only slightly adapt the rules of their source material, making the show rather nonsensical and insane most times. The cards are also useless filler (Or too broken to be used in the actual card game to begin with.), and the real powerful cards/archetypes (Or bases and blades in Bayblade) can't be found in the anime, so most Japanese 'gamers?' are getting they're information elsewhere. Really there's no point to both anime nowadays cause they can just find the information out, in most hobby magazines like Corocoro and Famitsu right?

              Inazuma 11 is also an Anime completely reliant on its source-material. But really mirror Pokemon to the purest extent. Since both are originally video games... Every single iteration of Inazuma 11 from the first game to Go to galaxy They all had an anime tie in... most of them are 100+ episode long. Did you see Inazuma 11 in the ratings? Inazuma 11 is made by level-5 and would certainly find coverage from famitsu and corocoro and yet all the iterations of the show still had an anime tie in...

              Like the Pokemon anime, the shows I mentioned above are suppose to sustain the games/hobbies popularity and serve as an entry point for children who really have no Idea what a Pokemon a Yugioh or a Bayblade or an Inazuma 11 is. Not to mention the show has its own fanbase separate from the games.

              __________________
              Don't be ashamed of what you love... even if other people find it embarrassing or pathetic embrace it... Love what you love, you'll be happier that way.
              Reply With Quote
                #182    
              Old 4 Weeks Ago (12:49 PM).
              Alexander18's Avatar
              Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
              Dragon user
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2017
                Location: NZ
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Lonely
                Posts: 675

                The ratings are still high enough for the show to continue. So we still be seeing more SM anime despite less ratings.

                Reply With Quote
                  #183    
                Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:57 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by weedle_mchairybug.
                weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2005
                  Posts: 2,155

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by CidHazard View Post
                  Weedle... the numbers we're pulling are just from the Kanto prefecture in japan... There are seven in total. If we're pulling numbers from the entirety of japan... If we where then we'd see more re-runs and Japanese cartoons like Doreamon in the top 10 maybe with One piece sneaking in there somewhere.

                  In truth the numbers we're seeing only reflect what those in Kanto are watching. And only a fraction of what we're seeing from japan.

                  Which suggests Pokémon's doing even WORSE in the ratings than previously indicated.

                  Quote:
                  Also, Super Mario World is a horrible example dude. As it never aired in japan and really in all forms western base. From the Animation studio too the writers Nintendo only gave them permission to use their copyrighted materials.

                  Japan also doesn't have a bagillion different channels/networks with shows that compete with one another. In the US unless you have a solid following, your gone the next month... seriously its messed up how many promising shows get the boot after a couple of episodes. If the show's successful then the show is extended beyond its shelf life. Japanese shows also don't compete with reality show garbage, that monopolize the ratings.

                  Actually, on a standard antenna TV here in Georgia, we only have at least fourteen channels, about as much as Japan, maybe slightly more (and that's obviously not counting Cable channels like Cartoon Network). I can't say what it's like for the rest of the country, but I suspect it's similar for every state outside Georgia.

                  Also, let's not forget that the Mario cartoons take direct inspiration from the Japanese games, NOT the localized versions, which is made pretty obvious from the fact that the Koopalings are given completely different names from their versions in Super Mario Bros. 3, so it actually qualifies there to some extent. And I can easily cite Mega Man Star Force as another example, and that one is definitely Japanese.

                  Quote:
                  Western shows eat each other, leaving the strong to either end on a high note or slowly fade to mediocrity and die. The creators don't really have a say if they're shows get cancelled right? Its all "The executives" and unless the creator is super influential/rich or there's enough of a cult following for the show so they could at least get a movie that ties off the lose ends or if they're lucky another season. Most shows also get cancelled in the middle of their season...

                  And this is different from Pokémon how exactly? A lot of the time, the writers and even producers, who are the actual creators of the show, have no say whatsoever in what direction the show should go, and it's run by executives at Nintendo. Dogasu even inferred as much when someone complained about the quality of M20.

                  Quote:
                  In Japan the creators have a say to whether the show continues or not. What if the animation studio's already fully booked or their contract ran out for the season? they can just find another studio to make the show for them. Most channels also have tons of slots for different shows, unless its primetime.

                  You sure about that? Because last I checked, we didn't get that all-star movie for the 20th anniversary, and that was largely because TCPi nixed that, despite it being what the writers planned.

                  Quote:
                  It's up to Nintendo if they wan't to keep the show alive or not... not some TV executive.

                  Yeah, and when the anime's running out of ratings, it also means loss of revenue for the products. Let's put it another way: If the ad airs late at night and very few people even see the ad, it is a failure because it fails to draw in enough revenue to benefit the business. That was even a point of contention in Smart Guy where Floyd's carpentry business tried to do an ad and it bombed largely because it got screwed over by the network by airing it so late at night virtually no one was able to see it. It's ultimately the same concept here.

                  Quote:
                  Both weekly Famitsu and Corocoro only provide coverage and a review. They won't help to sustain the popularity of the game. Not to mention that kid's don't tend to buy those magazines... as they are geared towards teen/young adults.

                  Says who? I literally grew UP on Nintendo Power, one of those Hobby Magazines (and definitely something that probably are geared more towards teens/young adults due to it covering even M-rated games at times) reading some magazines and guidebooks for it as early as five years old, and actually registering for it around the time Yoshi's Story came out. In fact, want to know how I even LEARNED of Pokémon the anime (heck, Pokémon in general, even) in the first place? It wasn't even through the show (that actually came later, believe it or not, and my first episode was the Samurai episode when it aired on UPN-69). It was through these Pokémon Power issues that were included in Nintendo Power issues in the leadup to Pokémon Red and Blue's release that included, among other things, adapted comics for the first six episodes ever. And I was 8 years old at the time I got my first subscription for Nintendo Power.

                  Quote:
                  Since both Beyblade and Yugioh both have healthy fanbases who can play the games nowadays. Then the anime should've been canceled a long time ago by your logic. Both shows, just like Pokemon, only slightly adapt the rules of their source material, making the show rather nonsensical and insane most times. The cards are also useless filler (Or too broken to be used in the actual card game to begin with.), and the real powerful cards/archetypes (Or bases and blades in Bayblade) can't be found in the anime, so most Japanese 'gamers?' are getting they're information elsewhere. Really there's no point to both anime nowadays cause they can just find the information out, in most hobby magazines like Corocoro and Famitsu right?

                  Well, frankly, yes, especially when they have plenty of other ways to market it, so it's not like they are losing much revenue if they cancel the anime. Not to mention, as I pointed out, I learned about Pokémon through Nintendo Power via its Pokémon Power issues, and if I could learn about Pokémon through that, others most certainly can as well, whether it be America or Japan.

                  Quote:
                  Inazuma 11 is also an Anime completely reliant on its source-material. But really mirror Pokemon to the purest extent. Since both are originally video games... Every single iteration of Inazuma 11 from the first game to Go to galaxy They all had an anime tie in... most of them are 100+ episode long. Did you see Inazuma 11 in the ratings? Inazuma 11 is made by level-5 and would certainly find coverage from famitsu and corocoro and yet all the iterations of the show still had an anime tie in...

                  Quite frankly, from what I could tell, it didn't make the ratings.

                  Quote:
                  Like the Pokemon anime, the shows I mentioned above are suppose to sustain the games/hobbies popularity and serve as an entry point for children who really have no Idea what a Pokemon a Yugioh or a Bayblade or an Inazuma 11 is. Not to mention the show has its own fanbase separate from the games.

                  Speaking as someone who grew up on such hobby magazines and guidebooks as Nintendo Power, since five years old at the very least, and probably played far more of a role for my getting into Pokémon than even the anime itself (which was certainly a major influence no doubt) I disagree with that notion. And it may have its separate fanbase, but that is completely irrelevant ESPECIALLY if it only serves as marketing for the games in the first place, since after all, if it's only for marketing, there's nothing stopping it from being cancelled due to both low ratings and there being plenty of other sources for marketing the games and merchandise.

                  In any case, the ratings for the previous week of Pokémon have not been posted (not much of a surprise, since there wasn't a new episode last week thanks to Movie 20 being due for release), so we'll have to wait until next week for any ratings to report there. BTW, speaking of which: Frozocrone, is there any way to check old ratings on videor.co.jp? Just want to know to see if I missed anything.

                  Reply With Quote
                    #184    
                  Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:26 AM).
                  CidHazard's Avatar
                  CidHazard CidHazard is offline
                  just a miserable pile of secrets
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2016
                    Location: From Parts Unknown
                    Age: 22
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Careful
                    Posts: 462

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                    Which suggests Pokémon's doing even WORSE in the ratings than previously indicated.

                    We can't really know that for sure, As different Prefectures have, different viewing habits. Also, it's 47 prefecture not 7 I mistyped that one forgot to edit :D

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                    And this is different from Pokémon how exactly? A lot of the time, the writers and even producers, who are the actual creators of the show, have no say whatsoever in what direction the show should go, and it's run by executives at Nintendo. Dogasu even inferred as much when someone complained about the quality of M20.

                    NIntendo own Pokemon. The creator of the show doesn't always mean the Owner, as most Japanese Studios are contractors. OLM makes the Pokemon Anime but they do not own Pokemon. If Nintendo wants too pull the plug on the animated series OLM has no choice but too oblige.

                    I should've said IP owner not creator... Most IP owners are the creators in japan. Studios like the Gianax and Trigger's are owned by the artist/directors who make the anime.

                    US Studio's could be compared too Magazine anthology publishers like Shounen Jump tho. As your work could be axed after a couple of months if you don't rake in the votes for best chapter of the week since they effectively own the IP of your creation. But even so, if you don't want the exposure of Shonen Jump you could always just publish your work yourself. Doujin works that become mainstream hits can sustain itself.

                    Also I have to make this point now

                    Buying manga in japan is not like buying comics. If you want the latest issue of Detective Comics you're getting a single batman story. When you buy Weekly Shounen jump tho, your getting all the currently running stories that week. Your not only getting One Piece, your also getting Shokugeki no souma and Gintama and World Trigger etc.

                    It would be like buying a Book/Magazine named Monthly DC/Marvel, and getting every single comic story that month.

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                    You sure about that? Because last I checked, we didn't get that all-star movie for the 20th anniversary, and that was largely because TCPi nixed that, despite it being what the writers planned.

                    Yes I'm sure... IF you think about it Japanese animation Studios are on the mercy of the creators/IP holders. Imagine if you the creator of the show asks for two seasons of the anime, and the show explodes into popularity. if the Japanese studio's fully booked, there's no stopping the owner of the IP/creator to just move on to a different studio. The Fate series of Anime, are all made by different animation studios from UFO Table, A1 Pictures, and Deen.

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                    Yeah, and when the anime's running out of ratings, it also means loss of revenue for the products. Let's put it another way: If the ad airs late at night and very few people even see the ad, it is a failure because it fails to draw in enough revenue to benefit the business. That was even a point of contention in Smart Guy where Floyd's carpentry business tried to do an ad and it bombed largely because it got screwed over by the network by airing it so late at night virtually no one was able to see it. It's ultimately the same concept here.

                    Sorry but Fate/stay night (and a miriad of different series) disagrees with that statement sir... Have you seen Fate/Stay night in the ratings? how about the ever popular Sword Art Online? How about the Monogatary Series?

                    Your insane if you think that most of these Animation Studios make their revenue off ratings. As most anime don't even air prime time. With most of them being late night shows.

                    Do you know where these show's make a killing tho... MERCH!!! Holy crap have you seen how freaking expensive the figurines/toys for the shows are... Holy Sh*t dude. HOLY F*CKIN SH*T THEY'RE AROUND $120+ DOLLARS (¥13,355) A PIECE!!! SOME OF THEM ARE $400+ DUDE!!! AND YOU KNOW WHAT!?! THEY SELL OUT!?! SOME OF THEM ARE LIMITED TOO GOD!!!

                    I JUST WANT MY SABER FIGURE!!!

                    And there are other things such as towels, pillows, Daikimakuras, DVD's, Expensive as F*ck Blue-rays, video-games and so on...

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                    Says who? I literally grew UP on Nintendo Power, one of those Hobby Magazines (and definitely something that probably are geared more towards teens/young adults due to it covering even M-rated games at times) reading some magazines and guidebooks for it as early as five years old, and actually registering for it around the time Yoshi's Story came out. In fact, want to know how I even LEARNED of Pokémon the anime (heck, Pokémon in general, even) in the first place? It wasn't even through the show (that actually came later, believe it or not, and my first episode was the Samurai episode when it aired on UPN-69). It was through these Pokémon Power issues that were included in Nintendo Power issues in the leadup to Pokémon Red and Blue's release that included, among other things, adapted comics for the first six episodes ever. And I was 8 years old at the time I got my first subscription for Nintendo Power.

                    Says someone grew up in japan and studied Japanese culture... Kids don't buy Corocoro or Famitsu, they buy Shounen Jump or other anthology manga.

                    Haha, I forgot that kids bought Nintendo power in the states.

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                    Well, frankly, yes, especially when they have plenty of other ways to market it, so it's not like they are losing much revenue if they cancel the anime. Not to mention, as I pointed out, I learned about Pokémon through Nintendo Power via its Pokémon Power issues, and if I could learn about Pokémon through that, others most certainly can as well, whether it be America or Japan.

                    Speaking as someone who grew up on such hobby magazines and guidebooks as Nintendo Power, since five years old at the very least, and probably played far more of a role for my getting into Pokémon than even the anime itself (which was certainly a major influence no doubt) I disagree with that notion. And it may have its separate fanbase, but that is completely irrelevant ESPECIALLY if it only serves as marketing for the games in the first place, since after all, if it's only for marketing, there's nothing stopping it from being cancelled due to both low ratings and there being plenty of other sources for marketing the games and merchandise.

                    There's a cultural difference here Weedle it's so obvious that it pains me that I didn't notice it sooner... Kids in japan buy manga and they watch TV go to the arcade (Yes those are still very popular there)... If you want to have a successful IP that's geared towards kids... whether it be toys or games (yes even phone app games)... you better have a Japanese anime or manga adaption in the works or currently airing to get that thing some exposure.

                    Kids don't buy magazines about video game news with their allowance, they buy manga with they're favorite stories in them. And since they're buying Anthology manga they're going to be exposed to other stories... maybe one of those stories is based around a toy/game/TCG they could buy. They watch shows with colorful characters and awesome fight scenes...

                    You grew up with Nintendo Power.

                    I grew up with Weekly Shounen Jump.

                    Also, Japanese Kids still don't buy hobby magazines nowadays...

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                    Quite frankly, from what I could tell, it didn't make the ratings.

                    Case and piont. The next iteration of Inazuma 11 will also get an Anime adaption BTW.

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                    In any case, the ratings for the previous week of Pokémon have not been posted (not much of a surprise, since there wasn't a new episode last week thanks to Movie 20 being due for release), so we'll have to wait until next week for any ratings to report there. BTW, speaking of which: Frozocrone, is there any way to check old ratings on videor.co.jp? Just want to know to see if I missed anything.

                    How old are we talking about here? If you just want the ratings of show from the past year you could always just find the listings on Anime news network... its just a pain to search for em tho...

                    __________________
                    Don't be ashamed of what you love... even if other people find it embarrassing or pathetic embrace it... Love what you love, you'll be happier that way.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #185    
                    Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:08 AM).
                    weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Apr 2005
                      Posts: 2,155

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by CidHazard View Post
                      We can't really know that for sure, As different Prefectures have, different viewing habits. Also, it's 47 prefecture not 7 I mistyped that one forgot to edit :D

                      Technically, each of the states have different viewing habits as well (and there are fifty of them, about three more than Japan), yet ratings still play a pretty big role here.

                      Quote:
                      NIntendo own Pokemon. The creator of the show doesn't always mean the Owner, as most Japanese Studios are contractors. OLM makes the Pokemon Anime but they do not own Pokemon. If Nintendo wants too pull the plug on the animated series OLM has no choice but too oblige.

                      I should've said IP owner not creator... Most IP owners are the creators in japan. Studios like the Gianax and Trigger's are owned by the artist/directors who make the anime.

                      US Studio's could be compared too Magazine anthology publishers like Shounen Jump tho. As your work could be axed after a couple of months if you don't rake in the votes for best chapter of the week since they effectively own the IP of your creation. But even so, if you don't want the exposure of Shonen Jump you could always just publish your work yourself. Doujin works that become mainstream hits can sustain itself.

                      Also I have to make this point now

                      Buying manga in japan is not like buying comics. If you want the latest issue of Detective Comics you're getting a single batman story. When you buy Weekly Shounen jump tho, your getting all the currently running stories that week. Your not only getting One Piece, your also getting Shokugeki no souma and Gintama and World Trigger etc.

                      It would be like buying a Book/Magazine named Monthly DC/Marvel, and getting every single comic story that month.

                      Believe it or not, once upon a time, we Americans DID actually buy comics with all the currently running stories for that week or even month. That unfortunately ended with some business practices from Marvel that shut down approximately 4,000 comic book stores due to price increases. I'll expand more on that later.

                      And in any case, based on what Takeshi Shudo said in his blogs, he definitely wasn't happy with the direction the show was going in starting at least late Johto, if not AG, so there's that to consider as well, which may have also impacted how the ratings severely decreased overtime to the appalling levels we are seeing today.

                      Quote:
                      Yes I'm sure... IF you think about it Japanese animation Studios are on the mercy of the creators/IP holders. Imagine if you the creator of the show asks for two seasons of the anime, and the show explodes into popularity. if the Japanese studio's fully booked, there's no stopping the owner of the IP/creator to just move on to a different studio. The Fate series of Anime, are all made by different animation studios from UFO Table, A1 Pictures, and Deen.

                      Well, all I can say is, sooner or later, if they dip so low in ratings it starts to negatively effect even their sales, it's probably time to throw in the towel.

                      Quote:
                      Sorry but Fate/stay night (and a miriad of different series) disagrees with that statement sir... Have you seen Fate/Stay night in the ratings? how about the ever popular Sword Art Online? How about the Monogatary Series?

                      Your insane if you think that most of these Animation Studios make their revenue off ratings. As most anime don't even air prime time. With most of them being late night shows.

                      Yeah, last I checked, Bull, NCIS New Orleans, NCIS Los Angeles, Blue Bloods, and Scorpion aired pretty late at night (they generally air at 9-10 at night, that's definitely late shows), yet they still got extremely stellar ratings. So no, I don't buy them being late-night as being a reason for their low ratings, much less that they don't use them, because I know plenty of shows that air late at night that got extremely good ratings even in spite of it airing late at night. If those shows I listed can get stellar ratings DESPITE airing very late at night, those anime can get the same high ratings as well.

                      Quote:
                      Do you know where these show's make a killing tho... MERCH!!! Holy crap have you seen how freaking expensive the figurines/toys for the shows are... Holy Sh*t dude. HOLY F*CKIN SH*T THEY'RE AROUND $120+ DOLLARS (¥13,355) A PIECE!!! SOME OF THEM ARE $400+ DUDE!!! AND YOU KNOW WHAT!?! THEY SELL OUT!?! SOME OF THEM ARE LIMITED TOO GOD!!!

                      I JUST WANT MY SABER FIGURE!!!

                      And there are other things such as towels, pillows, Daikimakuras, DVD's, Expensive as F*ck Blue-rays, video-games and so on...

                      Believe it or not, we get much of the same with a lot of TV shows here in the US. The Simpsons has a LOT of paraphenelia and merchandise, as does various Disney franchises and Warner Bros. franchises. And let's not forget Star Wars and Star Trek, which also had some merchandise as well (toys, games, some backpacks, towels, DVDs. I think the only things we don't have that you do have are anime love pillows. And yeah, actually expensive toys are actually pretty commonplace here in America. The Beast Wars Optimal Optimus toy was pretty obscenely expensive, as was Primal Prime. And heck, don't get me started on those film collectors figurines that are often released into those stores based on certain movies like Labyrinth or Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

                      Quote:
                      Says someone grew up in japan and studied Japanese culture... Kids don't buy Corocoro or Famitsu, they buy Shounen Jump or other anthology manga.

                      Haha, I forgot that kids bought Nintendo power in the states.

                      Yeah, shame that brand is gone, though, Nintendo Power I mean.

                      Quote:
                      There's a cultural difference here Weedle it's so obvious that it pains me that I didn't notice it sooner... Kids in japan buy manga and they watch TV go to the arcade (Yes those are still very popular there)... If you want to have a successful IP that's geared towards kids... whether it be toys or games (yes even phone app games)... you better have a Japanese anime or manga adaption in the works or currently airing to get that thing some exposure.

                      Kids don't buy magazines about video game news with their allowance, they buy manga with they're favorite stories in them. And since they're buying Anthology manga they're going to be exposed to other stories... maybe one of those stories is based around a toy/game/TCG they could buy. They watch shows with colorful characters and awesome fight scenes...

                      You grew up with Nintendo Power.

                      I grew up with Weekly Shounen Jump.

                      Also, Japanese Kids still don't buy hobby magazines nowadays...

                      Eh, my local bowling alley has a video arcade as well, and a lot of people flocked there from what I could tell. Plus, there's a Dave and Busters fairly close buy, and a Fuddruckers which has a video arcade last I could check. There also used to be an arcade at a minigolf, but that venture got shut down a while back.

                      So far as their getting manga, honestly, while not quite Manga, there used to be a lot of comics/TGC/toy stores that one could get those things, one of those stores you alluded to, here in the USA. Was practically prevalent once upon a time. Unfortunately, they entered a decline during the 1990s, mostly because of certain business ventures that Marvel Comics did during that time regarding then-CEO Ron Perelman selling stock for 40% more than he got it, and also increasing prices for comics to such an extent that buying comics literally became unaffordable to anyone but the most dedicated comic buyers, and even they eventually started dwindling when prices further increased. All to make a quick buck. I've yet to find a comic/baseball card store at this point (probably the closest I've ever gotten to that is Blockbuster when it has those card stands, maybe also Video Game Swap USA). In fact, at this point, the closest you can get to something like that mainstream is something like Barnes and Noble thanks to the 2000s. Had it not been for Ron Perelman, we'd probably be a bit closer culturally to you guys than we are now regarding those things. You can read more about that whole mess in these links:

                      *http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg37.html

                      *http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg38.html

                      Quote:
                      Case and piont. The next iteration of Inazuma 11 will also get an Anime adaption BTW.

                      Well, more power to them then. It doesn't change the situation Pokémon itself is in, unfortunately.

                      Quote:
                      How old are we talking about here? If you just want the ratings of show from the past year you could always just find the listings on Anime news network... its just a pain to search for em tho...

                      Basically within the last week or earlier. And yeah, I know about Anime News Network, I was just asking because Frozocrone stopped using that due to it experiencing delays regarding actually updating its ratings.

                      Reply With Quote
                        #186    
                      Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:39 AM).
                      CidHazard's Avatar
                      CidHazard CidHazard is offline
                      just a miserable pile of secrets
                         
                        Join Date: Sep 2016
                        Location: From Parts Unknown
                        Age: 22
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Careful
                        Posts: 462

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                        Yeah, last I checked, Bull, NCIS New Orleans, NCIS Los Angeles, Blue Bloods, and Scorpion aired pretty late at night (they generally air at 9-10 at night, that's definitely late shows), yet they still got extremely stellar ratings. So no, I don't buy them being late-night as being a reason for their low ratings, much less that they don't use them, because I know plenty of shows that air late at night that got extremely good ratings even in spite of it airing late at night. If those shows I listed can get stellar ratings DESPITE airing very late at night, those anime can get the same high ratings as well.

                        Late night anime usually air after midnight. And if you do check the anime I've listed doesn't make the ratings weekly top 10.

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                        Believe it or not, we get much of the same with a lot of TV shows here in the US. The Simpsons has a LOT of paraphenelia and merchandise, as does various Disney franchises and Warner Bros. franchises. And let's not forget Star Wars and Star Trek, which also had some merchandise as well (toys, games, some backpacks, towels, DVDs. I think the only things we don't have that you do have are anime love pillows. And yeah, actually expensive toys are actually pretty commonplace here in America. The Beast Wars Optimal Optimus toy was pretty obscenely expensive, as was Primal Prime. And heck, don't get me started on those film collectors figurines that are often released into those stores based on certain movies like Labyrinth or Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

                        I do, but don't underestimate the buying habits of Otakus (Tho I do believe some Trekies and Star Wars fan's could probably give them a run for their money.)

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                        Yeah, shame that brand is gone, though, Nintendo Power I mean.

                        I did see an AVGN video from way back talking about the impact it had on 80's/90's kids. It sounds pretty awesome.

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                        Eh, my local bowling alley has a video arcade as well, and a lot of people flocked there from what I could tell. Plus, there's a Dave and Busters fairly close buy, and a Fuddruckers which has a video arcade last I could check. There also used to be an arcade at a minigolf, but that venture got shut down a while back.
                        It's really not that big as it once was, new Japanese arcade games still come out. With some of them having other gimicks like cards or toys to play.

                        Last time I visited one, there's been a huge boom when it comes too VR games. With most arcades prominently feature VR sections its great :D

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                        Well, more power to them then. It doesn't change the situation Pokémon itself is in, unfortunately.

                        Pokemon Go definitely revitalized the series. I'll say that much...

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                        Basically within the last week or earlier. And yeah, I know about Anime News Network, I was just asking because Frozocrone stopped using that due to it experiencing delays regarding actually updating its ratings.

                        ANN is slow but they still post the ratings :D its probably buried under all the news tho :D

                        __________________
                        Don't be ashamed of what you love... even if other people find it embarrassing or pathetic embrace it... Love what you love, you'll be happier that way.
                        Reply With Quote
                          #187    
                        Old 3 Weeks Ago (11:26 AM).
                        Amabilis's Avatar
                        Amabilis Amabilis is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2016
                          Location: Canada
                          Gender: Other
                          Nature: Quirky
                          Posts: 34

                          I'm getting an impression that merchandise sells will be more important than ever. I've read several different Japanese animation companies stating that it's much harder to get high ratings in general because people don't watch TV as much as they use to. Even Doraemon and Sazae-San's ratings aren't as high as they use to be. But then again their ratings are much higher than the other shows so I doubt they will cancel those shows in particular anytime soon.

                          Pokemon ratings is at least consistent and unlike X and Y it's staying on the charts thus far. I'm having trouble grasping how Pokemon is holding up against Yokai Watch. The only reason why I bring Yokai Watch up is that Yokai Watch is Pokemon's main competitor(at least when it comes to appealing to the younger fans). Some schoolteachers say that the kids talk about Yokai Watch more than Pokemon(this is during X and Y though).

                          Sun and Moon seems to be doing better ratings rise. However, like what was previous mention in this thread, Yokai Watch III was on top of the charts for it's first week(it bump Sun and Moon to second palace). This shows that there's still hype for it, but Sun and Moon did sell more in Japan overall. Granted I wouldn't be surprise if adults were a major contributor to Sun and Moon's sales. I heard Pokemon's fanbase is ageing over in Japan.

                          Then again, Yokai Watch tends to sell a bit less than Pokemon even in Japan, so I'm not so sure if it's a indicator that Yokai Watch is losing popularity.

                          Reply With Quote
                            #188    
                          Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:21 PM).
                          weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Apr 2005
                            Posts: 2,155

                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Amabilis View Post
                            I'm getting an impression that merchandise sells will be more important than ever. I've read several different Japanese animation companies stating that it's much harder to get high ratings in general because people don't watch TV as much as they use to. Even Doraemon and Sazae-San's ratings aren't as high as they use to be. But then again their ratings are much higher than the other shows so I doubt they will cancel those shows in particular anytime soon.

                            Pokemon ratings is at least consistent and unlike X and Y it's staying on the charts thus far. I'm having trouble grasping how Pokemon is holding up against Yokai Watch. The only reason why I bring Yokai Watch up is that Yokai Watch is Pokemon's main competitor(at least when it comes to appealing to the younger fans). Some schoolteachers say that the kids talk about Yokai Watch more than Pokemon(this is during X and Y though).

                            Sun and Moon seems to be doing better ratings rise. However, like what was previous mention in this thread, Yokai Watch III was on top of the charts for it's first week(it bump Sun and Moon to second palace). This shows that there's still hype for it, but Sun and Moon did sell more in Japan overall. Granted I wouldn't be surprise if adults were a major contributor to Sun and Moon's sales. I heard Pokemon's fanbase is ageing over in Japan.

                            Then again, Yokai Watch tends to sell a bit less than Pokemon even in Japan, so I'm not so sure if it's a indicator that Yokai Watch is losing popularity.

                            People also don't watch as much TV as they used to even here in America, especially with the advent of streaming services. That never stopped the likes of NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, NCIS: New Orleans, Bull, Blue Bloods, and the like from getting very high ratings especially among Nielsen ratings (and by "very high", I mean within the double digits, or even very high single digits.). And I'm pretty sure the same applies with Japan as well. So no, Pokémon right now is not doing very well especially regarding ratings (and in fact, if I were a representative of Nintendo and I saw the ratings, I wouldn't even CARE if they were selling stuff, I'd still cancel Pokémon and specifically cite the ratings as a reason).

                            Reply With Quote
                              #189    
                            Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:33 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Amabilis.
                            Amabilis's Avatar
                            Amabilis Amabilis is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Nov 2016
                              Location: Canada
                              Gender: Other
                              Nature: Quirky
                              Posts: 34

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                              People also don't watch as much TV as they used to even here in America, especially with the advent of streaming services. That never stopped the likes of NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, NCIS: New Orleans, Bull, Blue Bloods, and the like from getting very high ratings especially among Nielsen ratings (and by "very high", I mean within the double digits, or even very high single digits.). And I'm pretty sure the same applies with Japan as well. So no, Pokémon right now is not doing very well especially regarding ratings (and in fact, if I were a representative of Nintendo and I saw the ratings, I wouldn't even CARE if they were selling stuff, I'd still cancel Pokémon and specifically cite the ratings as a reason).

                              It is true that TV is losing relevancy in America as well. I do think the TV issue in Japan in particular has a lot to do with Japan's declining birth rate(at least with shows that are targeted to young people). A lot of western countries do have this issue to some degree but Japan's case is very severe. I've seen animation companies siting that Japan's birth rate issue as a big obstacle. So it's not surprising if the birth rate issues is affecting the Pokemon anime.

                              I don't think they will be quick to cancel Sun and Moon. If it's doing better than X and Y and it's staying on the charts there's probably incentive to keep it on air for now. The new movie did much better than most Pokemon movies in recent years. However, I don't think the 20th anniversary movie's success has much to do with the Sun and Moon anime itself(I assume its was watched mostly by the older fans). We probably need to wait and see if the next movie(which is base around Sun and Moon) does well. I wouldn't say that Pokemon anime is doing super well(then again even big hitters aren't getting as high ratings as they use to and I highly doubt Pokemon will beat Doraemon and Sazae-San anytime soon), but it's managing and it seems to be better off then it was during X and Y.

                              I'm sure there's tons of reasons why the situation of the Pokemon anime is the way it is. There's really no clear cut answer. Although I can imagine that TPC(I know they don't make the show but they control the property) is very tenacious when it comes to keeping the anime on air and because of this the staff seems to be more willing to change things up to maintain interest rather than cancelling it.

                              Reply With Quote
                                #190    
                              Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:11 PM).
                              Taste of Tea's Avatar
                              Taste of Tea Taste of Tea is offline
                              Hoenn confirmed
                                 
                                Join Date: Sep 2009
                                Location: Johto Region
                                Gender: Female
                                Nature: Careful
                                Posts: 49

                                I don't feel like reading 8 pages, so I'll just ask: Are SM's ratings higher than Yo-Kai Watch's overall?

                                Reply With Quote
                                  #191    
                                Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:40 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Amabilis.
                                Amabilis's Avatar
                                Amabilis Amabilis is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Nov 2016
                                  Location: Canada
                                  Gender: Other
                                  Nature: Quirky
                                  Posts: 34

                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Taste of Tea View Post
                                  I don't feel like reading 8 pages, so I'll just ask: Are SM's ratings higher than Yo-Kai Watch's overall?

                                  Pokemon Sun and Moon's ratings are usually higher than Yokai Watch or tied. You can see the TV rankings on Anime New Network.

                                  Here's the latest rankings: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-13/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-3-9/.118789

                                  In some cases, Yokai Watch doesn't even make it in the top ten which makes wonder about the current state of the franchise. However, there are some post in the thread that pointed out that there times where Yokai Watch didn't air that week. So I'm not 100% sure about Yokai Watch's situation.

                                  Edit: This is actually the latest rankings, which neither Pokemon or Yokai Watch made it in the top ten,

                                  https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-21/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-10-16/.119178

                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #192    
                                  Old 3 Weeks Ago (8:20 PM).
                                  Alexander18's Avatar
                                  Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
                                  Dragon user
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jun 2017
                                    Location: NZ
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Lonely
                                    Posts: 675

                                    Pokemon ratings is all i care about. I really don't care about Yokai Watch. Pokemon will live much longer.

                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #193    
                                    Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:09 PM).
                                    Taste of Tea's Avatar
                                    Taste of Tea Taste of Tea is offline
                                    Hoenn confirmed
                                       
                                      Join Date: Sep 2009
                                      Location: Johto Region
                                      Gender: Female
                                      Nature: Careful
                                      Posts: 49

                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Amabilis View Post
                                      Pokemon Sun and Moon's ratings are usually higher than Yokai Watch or tied. You can see the TV rankings on Anime New Network.

                                      Here's the latest rankings: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-13/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-3-9/.118789

                                      In some cases, Yokai Watch doesn't even make it in the top ten which makes wonder about the current state of the franchise. However, there are some post in the thread that pointed out that there times where Yokai Watch didn't air that week. So I'm not 100% sure about Yokai Watch's situation.

                                      Edit: This is actually the latest rankings, which neither Pokemon or Yokai Watch made it in the top ten,

                                      https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-21/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-10-16/.119178

                                      I had heard that Yo-Kai Watch was dominating in Japan, so I was expecting it to have ratings that match One Piece's at least. It's interesting that it's not quite on par with SM's ratings, though.

                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #194    
                                      Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:27 PM).
                                      Alexander18's Avatar
                                      Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
                                      Dragon user
                                         
                                        Join Date: Jun 2017
                                        Location: NZ
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Lonely
                                        Posts: 675

                                        The ratings would have improved if they had Hilda and Moon as Ash's gen 5 & 7 female companion. Even though Bonnie is just a kid, she would have been a better female companion in kalos.

                                        Reply With Quote
                                          #195    
                                        Old 3 Weeks Ago (8:34 AM).
                                        BanFairy's Avatar
                                        BanFairy BanFairy is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: May 2017
                                          Posts: 24

                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Amabilis View Post
                                          It is true that TV is losing relevancy in America as well. I do think the TV issue in Japan in particular has a lot to do with Japan's declining birth rate(at least with shows that are targeted to young people). A lot of western countries do have this issue to some degree but Japan's case is very severe. I've seen animation companies siting that Japan's birth rate issue as a big obstacle. So it's not surprising if the birth rate issues is affecting the Pokemon anime.

                                          I don't think they will be quick to cancel Sun and Moon. If it's doing better than X and Y and it's staying on the charts there's probably incentive to keep it on air for now. The new movie did much better than most Pokemon movies in recent years. However, I don't think the 20th anniversary movie's success has much to do with the Sun and Moon anime itself(I assume its was watched mostly by the older fans). We probably need to wait and see if the next movie(which is base around Sun and Moon) does well. I wouldn't say that Pokemon anime is doing super well(then again even big hitters aren't getting as high ratings as they use to and I highly doubt Pokemon will beat Doraemon and Sazae-San anytime soon), but it's managing and it seems to be better off then it was during X and Y.

                                          I'm sure there's tons of reasons why the situation of the Pokemon anime is the way it is. There's really no clear cut answer. Although I can imagine that TPC(I know they don't make the show but they control the property) is very tenacious when it comes to keeping the anime on air and because of this the staff seems to be more willing to change things up to maintain interest rather than cancelling it.

                                          Can you please stop saying that SM is doing better than XY ? it's totally wrong...

                                          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FnAdRaelkrt5f7AFlr3d3gFowJ4YRVkL5_LOsWjmjIY/edit

                                          XY030 : 5.3
                                          SM030 : 3.1

                                          XY031 : 5.3
                                          SM031 : 3.4

                                          XY032 : 5.0
                                          SM032 : 3.4

                                          I can continue on and on... It's just that now there's less competition than in 2014 because Yokai is losing popularity while it was as it's peek in 2014-2015... But NO SM is not doing better than XY stop with this myth that SM fanboys want to create. If XY got these numbers in 2017 (right now obviously) it would be top 5 every weeks easily, SM is always struggling at 9th place while there's less competition than in 2014.

                                          __________________
                                          Reply With Quote
                                            #196    
                                          Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:06 PM).
                                          Amabilis's Avatar
                                          Amabilis Amabilis is offline
                                             
                                            Join Date: Nov 2016
                                            Location: Canada
                                            Gender: Other
                                            Nature: Quirky
                                            Posts: 34

                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by BanFairy View Post
                                            Can you please stop saying that SM is doing better than XY ? it's totally wrong...

                                            https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FnAdRaelkrt5f7AFlr3d3gFowJ4YRVkL5_LOsWjmjIY/edit

                                            XY030 : 5.3
                                            SM030 : 3.1

                                            XY031 : 5.3
                                            SM031 : 3.4

                                            XY032 : 5.0
                                            SM032 : 3.4

                                            I can continue on and on... It's just that now there's less competition than in 2014 because Yokai is losing popularity while it was as it's peek in 2014-2015... But NO SM is not doing better than XY stop with this myth that SM fanboys want to create. If XY got these numbers in 2017 (right now obviously) it would be top 5 every weeks easily, SM is always struggling at 9th place while there's less competition than in 2014.

                                            I actually didn’t mean to offend as I don’t have super strong feelings for both shows. I did recheck X and Y ratings and they are actually almost the same as Sun and Moon’s ratings. It just seems lower because Yokai Watch doesn’t appear in the top 10 as constantly as it use too. I think some shows that X and Y compete with like Time Bokan don’t air anymore which is another reason why people(myself included) thought that X and Y did worst.

                                            Reply With Quote
                                              #197    
                                            Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:35 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by CidHazard.
                                            CidHazard's Avatar
                                            CidHazard CidHazard is offline
                                            just a miserable pile of secrets
                                               
                                              Join Date: Sep 2016
                                              Location: From Parts Unknown
                                              Age: 22
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Nature: Careful
                                              Posts: 462

                                              https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-27/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-17-23/.119404

                                              Shaun the sheep's: 3.4 ties Precure's 3.4

                                              and beats:

                                              Pokemon SM at 3.0 and My Hero Academia at 2.8

                                              Oh the Humanity! XD

                                              __________________
                                              Don't be ashamed of what you love... even if other people find it embarrassing or pathetic embrace it... Love what you love, you'll be happier that way.
                                              Reply With Quote
                                              Reply
                                              Quick Reply

                                              Sponsored Links
                                              Thread Tools

                                              Posting Rules
                                              You may not post new threads
                                              You may not post replies
                                              You may not post attachments
                                              You may not edit your posts

                                              BB code is On
                                              Smilies are On
                                              [IMG] code is On
                                              HTML code is Off

                                              Forum Jump


                                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:14 AM.