• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will there ever be another Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game?

Years
gfs_116955_2_6.jpg

If you're unfamiliar with the PMD series (in which case, you're missing out!!), the general premise is similar across every single game: you (the player) get turned into a Pokemon as you partner up with another Pokemon, and explore various Mystery Dungeons in your quest to save the Pokemon World. The plot across every single PMD game is different, but it has the same premise.

But the problem is this... there hasn't been another PMD game in about three years. The last Pokemon game, Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, was released in 2015. After that... there was no word whatsoever from Spike Chunsoft (the developers of the game) as far as when the next one will release or anything.

Is this really it for the PMD series? Or do you think there would (hopefully) be one coming to the Switch?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I think another will release at some point, there isn't any reason to assume these games will suddenly stop, even if the gap is a little longer.

However, with the next game, I'd like to see a change in the formula. Every game has followed the story of trying to find out why you turned into a Pokemon. The plot does run differently from there, but I would like to see a story where you actually do play as a Pokemon, without the plot being based on the human. Super Mystery Dungeon had a nice twist at the end, and hopefully, they keep going in that direction.

I might be wrong about Gates to Infinity, or if the plot is different, having only played a demo a few years ago.

If another Mystery Dungeon game is to release, I would actually prefer it to be along with the generation 8 games, so the new Pokemon will be included. A different idea would be to release it a few months before the release of the new gen 8 games and include some of the new Pokemon in it as a sort of preview.

Years
Now that I think about it... I agree there. I wouldn't mind a change where there's a different focus other than on the player for once. What that would be though, I'm not sure. I think SPMD and PMD: Sky touched on this a bit, what with the player playing an important role in saving the entire world, which I think would be more of the focus in future PMD games without overemphasizing the player's role in it... if that makes sense.

Years
I haven't played since the PMD Time/Darkness/Sky. I bought Gates of Infinity, but wound up returning it. I never picked up PSMD. Was it better than GoI?

I would love a Switch version of PMD with story-elements akin to the first or second generations.

Years
I'd like to see more games in the series. Only ever really experienced Gates to Infinity which I've heard was one of the more meh titles, so a PMD game following and adapting what was popular from previous titles would be great to see on Switch. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Years
I haven't played since the PMD Time/Darkness/Sky. I bought Gates of Infinity, but wound up returning it. I never picked up PSMD. Was it better than GoI?

Significantly. Although most will argue that PMD: Sky is still the best one, Super Mystery Dungeon actually isn't far behind, just to give you an idea of its improvement over GtI

pkmin3033

Until they bring back Friend Areas, no PMD will be as good as Red/Blue Rescue Team...and if they make another one they'd better bring them back, and not have your recruits accessed via a cheap social network diagram or a lazy Pokemon box system run by a Chimecho. I want to see my Pokemon running around aimlessly free in pretty environments!

Aaaaanyways. I would love to see this series come back, because asides from Gates to Infinity - let's pretend that doesn't exist, OK? - they're the best Pokemon games to be released. For all its flaws, Super Mystery Dungeon was a lot of fun and the only Pokemon game released since Gen IV that I would say is actually any good.

Last edited:
Years
I still miss PMD, guys.

Maybe there'll be a Gen 7 one at some point in the future. Maybe there will be one on the Switch at some point. It still pains me that Super PMD might be the last one. :<

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
A Mystery Dungeon game on the Switch is certainly a possibility. In Let's GO they implemented a new "Co-Op" mode where a 2nd player could join you. It made the game way too easy and it didn't really allow the 2nd player to do much in terms of exploration or have their own team(since they drew upon what Pokemon you caught and had with you) but PMD has always had a team of two: The player and a partner. Co-Op mode for PMD would totally fit don't you think?

simone1234

Don't underestimate the enemy/opponent.
Years
I also think they will someday release another new Mystery dungeon, though i would prefer they would release something else first like Pokemon conquest but upgraded and more new features and .

I liked the first ones of pokemon mystery dungeon but the later ones were in my opinion kind of less interesting. I hope they add some animation scenes to the next pokemon games similiar to other rpg games.

and some kind of opening similiar to Sushido for pokemon future games.

Also some rivals in mystery dungeons games with more screen time (for example like after you complete 1 dungeon you have to battle your rival pokemon team)

GanguEevee

~Calamity Trigger~
Years
Oh yes, of course! I'm not sure how long it will take for them to make another one, though. Now, it is quite possible that they might make the game this year, considering how other PMD games had a 1-2 year gap between each other. But I also think that it's possible that they might have taken a hiatus on making PMD games so they could make other Mystery Dungeon games based on other franchises.

I mean, in the same year that Super Mystery Dungeon was made, they also released Etrian Mystery Dungeon and Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics(in Japan). The next year after that, the US got the latest Shiren the Wanderer game and MC:OWH. And now this year, we're getting a new Chocobo Mystery Dungeon game (but not really, cause it's a remake of the Wii game).

I also noticed that when around the time they were making the GBA and DS PMD games, there was a bit of a drought on Mystery Dungeon games based on other franchises. Not saying that there weren't any during the years the GBA/DS games were made (but it was mostly remakes and a bunch of mobile games), but I think it was around that point where it started to show that they wanted to focus more on Pokemon. I guess after GtI bombed in terms of reception and not selling that well, they must have started to realize that they shouldn't try to keep relying on Pokemon to keep the Mystery Dungeon series alive, and probably decided that it's time to actually focus more on other IPs for MD and less on Pokemon.

At least, that's what I think.

Years
I am thinking about the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon to come out on Switch for Gen 8 though, i think it has an potential.

PMD could be developed by an different developer, since Spike Chunsoft has been now focusing on developing and publishing more anime-oriented and t-rated games like DanganRonpa, so it could be developed by an differnet developer.

Spike Chunsoft has also been developing its own game called Jump Force, which came out this year.

(sorry for my poor English)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Not someone who has ever played the games, but I think it will happen sooner or later. They've still sold alright at worst and there's a decent following for them. I suspect gen 8 would be the next title however.

Back