• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: New Battle System

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Okay, I can most likely do that. I'll start on Sunday, since I'll have a free day. Shouldn't be too hard.

Here's the ones I need explanations on:

Code:
FLAG_CHARGEUP
FLAG_RECHARGE
FLAG_DEFROST
FLAG_GRAVITY_DISABLED
FLAG_HEAL_BLOCK_DISABLED
FLAG_PROTECTABLE
FLAG_REFLECTABLE
FLAG_TRIAGE_AFFECTED

Trainer 781

Okay, I can most likely do that. I'll start on Sunday, since I'll have a free day. Shouldn't be too hard.

Code:
FLAG_CHARGEUP
FLAG_RECHARGE
FLAG_DEFROST
FLAG_GRAVITY_DISABLED
FLAG_HEAL_BLOCK_DISABLED
FLAG_PROTECTABLE
FLAG_REFLECTABLE
FLAG_TRIAGE_AFFECTED

FLAG_CHARGEUP - Not sure about this. Looks like a move that have a charging turn like Fly, Dig etc.
FLAG_RECHARGE - Moves like Hyper Beam etc.
FLAG_DEFROST - Move that can defrost a frozen foe. Scald and damaging fire move except Hidden Power.
FLAG_GRAVITY_DISABLED - Cannot be used in gravity like Fly, Hi Jump Kick
FLAG_HEAL_BLOCK_DISABLED - Blocked by the move Heal Block. (Refer Bulbapedia for the list)
FLAG_PROTECTABLE - Moves that can be blocked by protect.
FLAG_REFLECTABLE - Moves that can be bounced by Magic Coat or Magic Bounce
FLAG_TRIAGE_AFFECTED - Healing moves that give 3+ priority to a Triage wielder. (Refer Bulbapedia for the list)

Blah

Free supporter
Years

Code:
FLAG_CHARGEUP
FLAG_RECHARGE
FLAG_DEFROST
FLAG_GRAVITY_DISABLED
FLAG_HEAL_BLOCK_DISABLED
FLAG_PROTECTABLE
FLAG_REFLECTABLE
FLAG_TRIAGE_AFFECTED

KDS's descriptions of those were correct. Just checking on ya, wondering if you've started/how it's going.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
KDS's descriptions of those were correct. Just checking on ya, wondering if you've started/how it's going.

I was actually just about to start it right now :P Thanks for the confirmation. I'll see what I can get done today.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Yo!
Checking in again, wondering how it's going :)

I finished the first three flag types a few days ago! It's been a hectic few days since so I haven't made much progress. Do you need these by a specific date?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I finished the first three flag types a few days ago! It's been a hectic few days since so I haven't made much progress. Do you need these by a specific date?

Preferably by the end of the week so I can test other parts of it. A little later is fine though.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Preferably by the end of the week so I can test other parts of it. A little later is fine though.

I won't promise you that it'll be done by then, but I can definitely try as hard as I can for the rest of today and Friday to get it done.

Just a Q: all of the moves that need to get FLAG_CONTACT have been set, correct?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I won't promise you that it'll be done by then, but I can definitely try as hard as I can for the rest of today and Friday to get it done.

Just a Q: all of the moves that need to get FLAG_CONTACT have been set, correct?

Yup.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Just wanted to drop in and say that this project is still ongoing and progressing smoothly. I've been lucky enough to get some help from SBird on certain things and I'm confident we'll have something play testable soon!

Currently recruiting help from those who wish to help programming certain parts of the engine and anyone who wants to help writing callbacks for moves +abilities!

So far, the battle is looping properly. I've added a couple of quality of life changes to the move select which show PP and Category of the move. I've also completed the accuracy checks and move chain up-until the damage and move animation portion!

As always you can check progress with the source code here:
https://github.com/EternalCode/battle_engine

Here's what it looks like ingame so far:
https://streamable.com/93k7w

Years
Hi, I'm helping the FBI to make a pokemon switch screen, and I wanted to know what you guys think about it and if i need to improve something.
jvKMFCi.png

Last edited:

Vivacity

still learning
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 15, 2017
Now THIS is hella cool. (I stalk keep an eager eye on your github anyway, haha, but I didn't catch this one till you posted!) Insert all the usual congratulatory gubbins here: i.e. how the hell are you even doing this/no one else IS even doing this/and it's open source?! give the man a RAISE

...I dunno why I made that sound all sardonic, lol, this IS awesome and so are you. :3 Love the video, and it doesn't hurt that the graphics are wayyy nicer than vanilla FR ;)

(also just noticed you're launching it from the Start menu, haha, which is stylish af haha)

anyway, this is SWEET, keep it up, you rock etc. :P

@ igorfs10 - DAMNNN that looks nice, you also rock, can't think of a thing I'd wanna change :)

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Hi, I'm helping the FBI to make a pokemon switch screen, and I wanted to know what you guys think about it and if i need to improve something.
pmLIj8Z.png

Really really enjoy this. Only suggestion would be adding in IVs, either numbers or letters. I have also made it so the level could be increased into the 3 digits (255) as well as making the HP go into the thousands.
Also added in FBI's main screen to add the same bg design.

XfX1q3s.png
multi2.PNG

0GbLQJs.png
pmLIj8Z.png

Updated:
p8u4A85.png
pmLIj8Z.png

Last edited:
Years
Really really enjoy this. Only suggestion would be adding in IVs, either numbers or letters. I have also made it so the level could be increased into the 3 digits (255) as well as making the HP go into the thousands.
Also added in FBI's main screen to add the same bg design.

XfX1q3s.png
multi2.PNG

0GbLQJs.png
pmLIj8Z.png

Updated:
p8u4A85.png
pmLIj8Z.png

You are good to edit images.
But the status that show on the screen already have nature, iv and ev. I already think that in my image has too much information and removing the item name and skill can make the interface confusing.
This screen is just to switch the pokemon in battle, I dont think it need to have iv and ev.
I will have to edit to have 4 digit status and you gave me a great idea. ;)

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
You are good to edit images.
But the status that show on the screen already have nature, iv and ev. I already think that in my image has too much information and removing the item name and skill can make the interface confusing.
This screen is just to switch the pokemon in battle, I dont think it need to have iv and ev.
I will have to edit to have 4 digit status and you gave me a great idea. ;)

Looking forward to the new update! Also shit, I just remembered that this was made:
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=352399

This was something I overlooked. We should give ability and item names much more room.

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
Years

Hey, I know it's been a while and you've probably been too busy to work on it. I ended up doing it myself yesterday, so you don't need to do it anymore. Thanks for trying to contribute!

jvKMFCi.png

That is looked blessed. I'm glad you decided to keep it relative to the battle textbox graphics!

Now THIS is hella cool. (I stalk keep an eager eye on your github anyway, haha, but I didn't catch this one till you posted!) Insert all the usual congratulatory gubbins here: i.e. how the hell are you even doing this/no one else IS even doing this/and it's open source?! give the man a RAISE

...I dunno why I made that sound all sardonic, lol, this IS awesome and so are you. :3 Love the video, and it doesn't hurt that the graphics are wayyy nicer than vanilla FR ;)

(also just noticed you're launching it from the Start menu, haha, which is stylish af haha)

anyway, this is SWEET, keep it up, you rock etc. :P

@ igorfs10 - DAMNNN that looks nice, you also rock, can't think of a thing I'd wanna change :)
Thank you for your kind words!

I'm actually quite curious how people think this change to the action select menu is? Personally I do like the Pokeball border being added to it, do others feel the same?

Looking forward to the new update! Also ****, I just remembered that this was made:

This was something I overlooked. We should give ability and item names much more room.
So longer move names, ability names and Pokemon names are a thing. I don't know how we'd fit all these properties graphically on many of the game graphics. Consider the Opponent's HP box and Double battle HP boxes fitting:
IDkXjxS.png

Currently, the engine doesn't assume a char limit and will try to draw the entire name. However the graphics limit the sizes of these things. At the moment, the graphics are quite customizable, so I'll leave the customization of graphics to the user. Expansion is great and I love the idea of supporting other people's implementation variables, but I don't think I will force a user without expanded names/levels/ect to use a customized layout designed for expanded names.

That said, you guys are more than welcome to design two layouts for each case!

Years
Looking forward to the new update! Also ****, I just remembered that this was made:

The changes I wanted to make did not fit, but I have already arranged and fits all the information with that amount of characters of the link that you have posted.

nUBzRsK.png

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Sorry FBI, life took over and I completely forgot. My bad :( The new graphic screens look amazing and I literally cannot wait. Do you think you'll be implementing customization options?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
The changes I wanted to make did not fit, but I have already arranged and fits all the information with that amount of characters of the link that you have posted.

nUBzRsK.png

Cool, I'll get to doing the needed coding for inserting this in the near future.
Sorry FBI, life took over and I completely forgot. My bad :( The new graphic screens look amazing and I literally cannot wait. Do you think you'll be implementing customization options?
An understandable problem. As for customization options, it depends what you mean. Feature toggling is a thing, most graphics are customizable.

---

Currently need a Yes/No menu that fits the theme. If anyone can make that, it'd be pretty awesome!

Back