• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity's Small Writing Contest!

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
I planned on PMing reviews to the respective writers and simply posting the scores in here. As for the prizes, if there were an ties I'd give all tying entries the deserved emblem. I considered making an honorable mention emblem, but the staff have A LOT of emblems to upload and hand out by the end of this and I didn't want to make their jobs any harder.

No problem IMHO If you think a honorable mention is at hand you, well, do the mention. It's only text and a couple of words. Later when you are comfortable doing an emblem and the staff can upload it zero problemo then you hand it... it shouldn't be much of an issue unless it's done posthumously.

Seriously, people. Just have fun. Like, come on, dream's epilogue, I'm sure you are a best writer than I am. I bet there are still at least six misplaced commas in my work but since I couldn't do much better without stressing myself (which is not the idea of the contest I guess...) I decided a <*warning*: promoting myself from this point on> beautiful story of friendship and sportsmanship with some allusions to social nonconformism and the value of historical role models in the development of one's personality end self-promotion /> would be more loable and in the best interest of, well, everybody who would read it... :D

Also, I'm thinking on placing a (virtual)(void in Nebraska) bet on how many entries arrive tomorrow. I can almost envision Gummy and the other reviewers going crazy. Don't ask why... and please don't hit me, my mind assaults me with funnily dirty images sometimes... :lol: :embarrass

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
*is shot for violent twist ending*

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some "OMGWTFBBQ" moments in some people's fics XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I planned on PMing reviews to the respective writers and simply posting the scores in here. As for the prizes, if there were an ties I'd give all tying entries the deserved emblem. I considered making an honorable mention emblem, but the staff have A LOT of emblems to upload and hand out by the end of this and I didn't want to make their jobs any harder.
That all sounds good. Judging isn't a one-day process, so take all the time each of you need to come to a consensus... A few days over and maybe we can get everything done. As long as we all have fun reading and writing.

solovino: Looking forward to reading yours particularly. Better hope those commas are in the right place. >=D

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
*is shot for violent twist ending*

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some "OMGWTFBBQ" moments in some people's fics XD
So this is where all the FFL regulars have crawled run off too.

And yeah, there might be some mild OMGWTFBBQ momets in my fic. :D
Just saying.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
So this is where all the FFL regulars have crawled run off too.

And yeah, there might be some mild OMGWTFBBQ moments in my fic. :D
Just saying.

Needless to say, and to reiterate as others have mentioned, it was indeed fun to write. Especially since I decided to chose the opposite gender, a thing I never usually do.

And I still laugh at myself for including the aforementioned prompts (aside from time).

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Needless to say, and to reiterate as others have mentioned, it was indeed fun to write. Especially since I decided to chose the opposite gender, a thing I never usually do.

And I still laugh at myself for including the aforementioned prompts (aside from time).
Wonderful. I'm writing in third person which is something I don't usually do either.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I'm really not sure what my piece will amount to. I feel like it's written very well, got all the good stuff for a Pokemon fic, and deals with the prompt. But... Will it do? I suppose we all wonder what our work is lacking when it comes time to send it in.

Also, wondering, Feign, why did you bold the n in "moments"?

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Wonderful. I'm writing in third person which is something I don't usually do either.

Ooo nice, I always write in third person limited omniscient past tense. This time around it is third person, without any clues into what the main character is thinking. She doesn't even speak in this fic either. Thus it is all based on actions. I'd think there is a name for that... Basically as though it is a video camera recording the person.

I'm really not sure what my piece will amount to. I feel like it's written very well, got all the good stuff for a Pokemon fic, and deals with the prompt. But... Will it do? I suppose we all wonder what our work is lacking when it comes time to send it in.

Also, wondering, Feign, why did you bold the n in "moments"?

Cause it was misspelled in the OP.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
No problem IMHO If you think a honorable mention is at hand you, well, do the mention. It's only text and a couple of words. Later when you are comfortable doing an emblem and the staff can upload it zero problemo then you hand it... it shouldn't be much of an issue unless it's done posthumously.

Seriously, people. Just have fun. Like, come on, dream's epilogue, I'm sure you are a best writer than I am. I bet there are still at least six misplaced commas in my work but since I couldn't do much better without stressing myself (which is not the idea of the contest I guess...) I decided a <*warning*: promoting myself from this point on> beautiful story of friendship and sportsmanship with some allusions to social nonconformism and the value of historical role models in the development of one's personality end self-promotion /> would be more loable and in the best interest of, well, everybody who would read it... :D

Also, I'm thinking on placing a (virtual)(void in Nebraska) bet on how many entries arrive tomorrow. I can almost envision Gummy and the other reviewers going crazy. Don't ask why... and please don't hit me, my mind assaults me with funnily dirty images sometimes... :lol: :embarrass

I have something planned for all those who enter, but I'll have to flesh out the ideas with Astinus. Oh, and trust me, we reviews are already going crazy. :|

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023

I have something planned for all those who enter, but I'll have to flesh out the ideas with Astinus. Oh, and trust me, we reviews are already going crazy. :|

Probably crazy because of how psychotic one can write, without hitting R? XD

In other news, I watched the ending of American Psycho, and was disappointed to have missed the majority of the movie, as I had not seen it before.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Probably crazy because of how psychotic one can write, without hitting R? XD

In other news, I watched the ending of American Psycho, and was disappointed to have missed the majority of the movie, as I had not seen it before.
You'd be surprised at how much hinted violence you can put with a fic without any actual graphic description. Also, this place moves faster than the FFL. :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Cause it was misspelled in the OP.
Ah. I'd checked your original post, as well as Mizan's quote of said post, and the n was in place... So I started thinking I'd get a prize if I noticed it.

I'm kind of disappointed in myself with my entry. I didn't plan on going the "violence" route and wanted a philosophical and character-based piece, but when I got to the point when I had to write a battle scene and was just loathing it, I ended up getting really into it. It came out far better than I thought.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
You'd be surprised at how much hinted violence you can put with a fic without any actual graphic description. Also, this place moves faster than the FFL. :D

To bad it won't last forever XD

O and after watching the end of American Psycho, I decided to watch Batman Begins, and now I feel giddy and energetic, as though I want to go after criminals. XD

I think I'm only saying that however, because so many people have said I look like Christian Bale.

Ah. I'd checked your original post, as well as Mizan's quote of said post, and the n was in place... So I started thinking I'd get a prize if I noticed it.

I'm kind of disappointed in myself with my entry. I didn't plan on going the "violence" route and wanted a philosophical and character-based piece, but when I got to the point when I had to write a battle scene and was just loathing it, I ended up getting really into it. It came out far better than I thought.

Never deny the sadist in you... ;)

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
I'm writing in first person, something which I haven't done for a while. The old version of my Flamestar Chronicles fic was in first person, however with the rewrite I've moved it to third person. TRINITY has always been third person, and so has pretty much everything else I write. What I'm writing here simply would not work if it wasn't first person, though. The entire fic is narrated basically inside the character's head (although several years after the actual events), so first person is basically a requirement.

I'm also writing in a variation of one of my lesser used styles. Haunting at the Old Chateau used a variation of the same style (which I really need to give a name to) although outside of that only my more private writings have used it. One of the defining features to me is the absence of dialogue, along with more verbose descriptions and generally "fancier" word choices than I usually use in, say, TFC or TRINITY. This specific variation has less focus on description but more on some extremely flowery narration. Seriously, this has got to be some of the most pretentious writing I've ever done. It's meant to be that way though, as that's simply how the nameless, genderless (although they seem somewhat more like a girl to me) main character thinks.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years

He... don't worry. We contestants can always share a glass of wine while we chat in a library room going smug all around about how we make reviewers crazy... Oh wait--!

Well, as I can see this place has become sort of the FFL2, FFLmini or /tmp/FFL (C:\TEMP\FFL for Windows People). I hope the OP is all good with this or we will mmeet a world of hurt... :D

About writing styles, I did a mixture of third person omniscient with Pokémon POV. It's more the former than the latter but was fun to try because I usually do limited third person POV. As for violence, I'm all for a bit of implied if the rules allow for it.

@Feign: the perspective you describe is called third person limited or third person observer, I think. I'd rather Wikipedia'd it.

[joke]Also, Bay, taking part in my virtual bet is non-negotiable. And the average bet is 999 fics to review.[/joke]

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
@Feign: the perspective you describe is called third person limited or third person observer, I think. I'd rather Wikipedia'd it.

Makes sense, I couldn't see it go unnamed.

Which reminds me, I had though to have an androgynous character but decided not to in the end.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Makes sense, I couldn't see it go unnamed.

Which reminds me, I had though to have an androgynous character but decided not to in the end.
Ha. One of the characters in mine is androgynous, though I feel so bad for using him.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
:
Feign said:
Never deny the sadist in you...
Yes that's right.

Tomboy androgynous or girly androgynous? Just wondering after seeing so many androgynous figures in anime lately.
(i.e. Envy (FMA), Haku (Naruto), ect)

Well, as I can see this place has become sort of the FFL2, FFLmini or /tmp/FFL (C:\TEMP\FFL for Windows People). I hope the OP is all good with this or we will mmeet a world of hurt... :D
The FFL hasn't seen much action lately. :(

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
:
Yes that's right.

Tomboy androgynous or girly androgynous? Just wondering after seeing so many androgynous figures in anime lately.
(i.e. Envy (FMA), Haku (Naruto), ect)

The FFL hasn't seen much action lately. :(

Androgynous, like leave it up to the reader to decide androgynous. However to leave out the pronouns among other things was a difficult thing, so I left the character as a girl (okay well she was playing lego at one point, but still, that is part of one of my own prompts anyway).

Back