• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Just need to fix a small problem so I can start a tutorial I found online (RPGMaker XP)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 22, 2020
Hello
so yea, I found a tutorial online about how to make a Pokemon fan game with RPG Maker XP
However, I encountered a problem not explained in the tutorial
At first, it was an error message about RGSS (iirc), today, it's another message I get
it says: "Failed to obtain a trial serial number from the nTitles server"
The thing is, I bought it from steam on sale (it was like 5$)
So what the hell is wrong with this?
Can someone help me please?
Thanks

Years
The thing is, I bought it from steam on sale (it was like 5$)
So what the hell is wrong with this?
Can someone help me please?
Thanks
If you bought it from steam, send an e-mail to Enterbrain support (the developers of RPG Maker), or just ask in their forums.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 22, 2020
Well, if i launch RPG Maker through the shortcut on my desktop, everything is fine
But when I open Pokemon Essential, the .rxproj file, then I get that message :(

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 22, 2020
NVM, just figured it out
I need to first open rpgmaker XP and open Pokemon essantial from inside the program
I don't get this problem anymore it seems
For now at least

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 22, 2020
Just found another problem
When I go in the database, there's nothing
No Pokemon, no character, no moves, no abilities, nothing

What could be the cause of that?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Essentials doesn't use the database, instead, it uses text files, which you can find in the PBS folder of your project, to set up all of your pokemon related data.
The wiki explains how to edit these PBS files, and I'm sure most tutorials online do too, at least for some things like creating a new pokemon/form.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 22, 2020
Essentials doesn't use the database, instead, it uses text files, which you can find in the PBS folder of your project, to set up all of your pokemon related data.
The wiki explains how to edit these PBS files, and I'm sure most tutorials online do too, at least for some things like creating a new pokemon/form.

alright thanks
but just to be sure if my tutorial isnt outdated
It's using V16.2
Do you think I should be alright?
I mean, is there lot of changes between V16.2 and 17.2?

Years
There's nothing worng with it. I suggest that you what this series about how to make a pokémon game using essentials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFTYCUM5jKy6_NxegN-cHBfL2UPF-ZRBl

But before that, I suggest that you start a fresh project, without essentials, just to get the grasp of event commands. It's a great way to learn how to use the engine better and will help you out alot while making a game with essentials.
When you get an understanding about variables, conditional and choice commands, try to make a calculator, it's a good challenge for starters. (:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 22, 2020
There's nothing worng with it. I suggest that you what this series about how to make a pokémon game using essentials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFTYCUM5jKy6_NxegN-cHBfL2UPF-ZRBl

But before that, I suggest that you start a fresh project, without essentials, just to get the grasp of event commands. It's a great way to learn how to use the engine better and will help you out alot while making a game with essentials.
When you get an understanding about variables, conditional and choice commands, try to make a calculator, it's a good challenge for starters. (:

Well, I have basic knowledge about C++ and C#
do you think it's enough to skip that part?

Back