• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I-Like-Shiny-Pichu

ClariS <3
Years
Yeah I am using an emulator, and I thought about using bugs cos they evolve quickly and easily, only problem with them is they have lots of weaknesses, or at least I think they do...

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2010
im not playing yellow right now. but i want to know what determines what kind of eeveeloution your rival has in yellow?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Depends on your wins/losses with your rival. If you win the first and second battle, he gets a Jolteon. If you win one and lose the other (or skip the one in Viridian), he gets a Flareon. If you lose both, he gets Vaporeon.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
What is the Game Genie code for Pokemon Encounters and all badges in Pokemon Blue? Sorry, can't ask this anywhere else but here as this is for a Game Genie code not a Gameshark code.

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2018
I'm on pokemon yellow and I rarely ever use repels, but i need to get through victory road quickly. I am using super repels and yet I'm still encountering pokemon...???

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
If a wild pokemon has a level higher than the first pokemon in your party, it can break your repels/super repels/max repels.

Years
  • Seen May 8, 2010
OMG I have a whole bunch of those coins!! I used to be so into those cards... I actually have a POP (Pokemon Organized Play) membership card. From a while back. XD I went to a few tournaments but never won. LOL

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
Years
odd question but are pokemon gold and silver for gameboy color or gameboy pocket? because I can play pokemon silver on my original Gameboy pocket the huge grey one and the smaller one as well. all the box art I look up for the game says they're gameboy color games but I know you can't play game boy color games on Gameboy pocket I tried with pokemon crystal.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
They were released for GameBoy Color, so that's where they go. It's like playing GBC games on a GameBoy SP. They're just backwards compatible. It's been a long time since I've had a GBP, so I can't really remember if the back would hinder Crystal's catridge (because it bulges outward instead of inward like GS' do) from working in it. I would also assume that sprite animation would be a hindrance, but then again, there were plenty of other games for the GB that had moving sprites. I would imagine it's some technical issue, though. Or the weird bulgy cartridge.

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
Years
well when ever I try to play Crystal version on my Gameboy pocket the newer one it gives me a message that says its incompatible I'd show you but my gameboy pocket won't display anything anymore =[

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well, if your GBP isn't displaying anything anymore, maybe it's broken. I wish I could help more, but the only thing I can think of is that the GBP's broken or Crystal's not compatible with it because of that bulge, and an advance in technology over GS. Do you not have an SP or a GBA that can play your Crystal?

Edit: Also screen size might play a part, but I'm not entirely sure.

Edit again: Aha! Doing a little more reading, the see through cartridges (such as Crystal) are not compatible with anything older than the GBC.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Question: Have EV's and IV's always been in since Red and Blue, and on level up, is there any random factor involved?

My actual problem is: I'm working on Project Alpha Fan here, where we're trying to set the record for fastest run through of Red/Blue Version. I know that the Starters have different stats every time when you get them, but if I make sure that I kill the exact same Pokemon every single time, will my team at the end have the exact same stats except for the differences in the beginning?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Bulbapedia said:
The EV system was introduced in Generation I, where it was also called stat experience or Stat Exp.
The Pokémon data structure contains two EV bytes for each the five stats (HP, Attack, Defense, Speed and Special), starting at zero when caught and with a maximum EV of 65535 for each stat, however, maximum stats will be reached with only 64512 EVs. When a Pokémon is defeated, its base stats are converted to effort points and then added to the EVs. For example, defeating a Mew grants 100 effort points to each EV. (Defeating 646 Mew, therefore, will give a Pokémon maximum EVs in each stat.)
EVs are factored into the Pokémon's stats when it levels up. Additionally, EVs are calculated into stats when a Pokémon is taken from Bill's PC; this is called the box trick. A Pokémon which reaches level 100 can continue to accrue EVs up to the maximum of 65535 in each stat, and use the box trick to have those EVs factored in.
Vitamins add 2560 to one stat's EV, but cannot raise a stat above 25600. Unlike later games, the Exp. Share did not share EVs.

Bulbapedia said:
In Generation I, there were only four IVs stored for each individual Pokémon: Attack, Defense, Speed, and Special. Each of these covered the respective stat, with the HP IV determined from the IVs stored for the other four. IVs had a range from 0-15, in binary 0000-1111, with the HP IV taking the final binary digit of the Attack, Defense, Speed, and Special IVs and placing it, in that order, for its own IV. As such, a Pokémon with an odd-number Attack IV had 8 added to its HP IV, Defense had 4 added, Speed had 2 added, and Special had 1 added.

I didn't know how to explain that at all. Haha. I hope that can clarify something for you. I personally wouldn't worry about EVs/IVs in a speed run.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Yeah, I think that helped a bunch, thanks. The reason that I wanted to know this is that I need to know the minimum level my pokemon can be at in order to one shot the elite four or something similar.

Years
are there any items for increasing accuracy, cuz my Kingler's Crabhammer keeps on missing and I get KOed thereafter.

CLAWS!

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
There is X Accuracy, which can be found in the Pokemon Tower, Silph Co., or bought at Celadon Dept. Store. That is the only item that boosts accuracy, though.

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2010
Question: If I come across one of the legendary dogs, what is the best way to catch it?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well, throwing a Master Ball is the easiest way. Since they always run though, if you encounter them early on, it might be best to wait a while. Here's some things:

Get a bunch of repels and use it in a low level place and have a Pokemon in the lead on level 39 that knows Mean Look. Umbreon and Gengar come to mind here, however I'm not sure if Umbreon can have that move by level 39. Anyway, use Mean Look at it'll stay. Just don't let your lead die. That's what most people do anyway.

My usual method is running back and forth between Ecruteak City and the route that's to the left of it (I think it's Route 32, but I can't remember atm) and keep checking their Dex location (if you've already seen them). Eventually, they'll pop up in your area and you can try the Repel + Mean Look strategy, or skip the repels if your trapper Pokemon is higher than level 39.

Hope this helps a little. I'm not good at explaining things like that.

Edit: If you're talking about the first time you see them, there's not much you can do without Mean Look or a Master Ball. Just throw a ball and maybe you'll get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back