• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I like the idea of a fairy type, but not that they're super effective against dragons. Can you imagine a tiny little Clefairy or Jigglypuff destroying a Hydreigon or Dragonite? It just doesn't seem right. I'd think that fairy types would be super effective against dark types or ghost types, but not dragon types.

Stat wise they won't be able to. Which is possibly the dumbest thing majority of the fans are showing. A Clefairy, despite having potential STAB and Advantage against a Dragon will not be a match for a Pseudo Dragon. 600 BST Pseudo compared to Clefairy's 323 BST. It would get wrecked in a heartbeat. So far only 2 really stand any chance of survival Gardevoir and Sylveon. Based on research I did, unless a Physical Fairy Type Move comes out even Azumarill won't really be that much of a threat despite its competitive uses. Since its primarily a Physical attacker thanks to its ability, if majority of Fairy attacks are special Azumarill won't get a lot of potential moves to use.

Years
Stat wise they won't be able to. Which is possibly the dumbest thing majority of the fans are showing. A Clefairy, despite having potential STAB and Advantage against a Dragon will not be a match for a Pseudo Dragon. 600 BST Pseudo compared to Clefairy's 323 BST. It would get wrecked in a heartbeat. So far only 2 really stand any chance of survival Gardevoir and Sylveon. Based on research I did, unless a Physical Fairy Type Move comes out even Azumarill won't really be that much of a threat despite its competitive uses. Since its primarily a Physical attacker thanks to its ability, if majority of Fairy attacks are special Azumarill won't get a lot of potential moves to use.

I do think I sorta agree with Xander, I could see most Fairy attacks being special-based, which I think Fairy Wind and Moonblast are likely to me. Draining Kiss looks sorta like it will be physical because in that scene were Swirlix was using it looked it made contact with the opponent. If Azumarill doesn't get a decent physical Fairy attack it may not get to OU like many people would hope.

What will Arceus look like in it's fairy forme? 0.O

Yeah given it's likely they will introduce a new form and that also means a new plate.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I just don't understand how so many people say Fairy > Dragon is stupid. Guys, Hydreigon is weak to Joltik. So shh.

Hydriegon is weak to Bug type due to its Dark Typing. Its not weak to Joltik in any way shape or form since Joltik isn't a type. Even stat wise Hydreigon doesn't even have to use a decent attack to knock it out. A mediocre attack will suffice, but this is not the case of Bug beating dragon as Hydreigon is the only dragon that is weak to Bug type pokemon. Fairy on the other hand effects all dragons despite common lore of Fairies living in fear and being hunted by dragons not to mention them being nearly powerless as Dragons are supposed to be nearly impervious to highly resistant against magic.

So its not a matter of one being effected, its a matter of all of them having a non-supported weakness added in for the sake of adding a weakness and nothing else. That is why we complain about it.

Years
Hydriegon is weak to Bug type due to its Dark Typing. Its not weak to Joltik in any way shape or form since Joltik isn't a type. Even stat wise Hydreigon doesn't even have to use a decent attack to knock it out. A mediocre attack will suffice, but this is not the case of Bug beating dragon as Hydreigon is the only dragon that is weak to Bug type pokemon. Fairy on the other hand effects all dragons despite common lore of Fairies living in fear and being hunted by dragons not to mention them being nearly powerless as Dragons are supposed to be nearly impervious to highly resistant against magic.

So its not a matter of one being effected, its a matter of all of them having a non-supported weakness added in for the sake of adding a weakness and nothing else. That is why we complain about it.
You misinterpret. "Fairy-haters" complain about Fairy > Dragon being stupid as they say "Now Jigglypuff has an advantage over Dragonite, tiny cute Pokemon strong against superior dragons make no sense". There are heaps of examples were this is already evident in Pokemon, so why start complaining now?
Also, there are so much type advantages and disadvantages in Pokemon that don't make sense. If anything, Fairy > Dragon is one of the more logical typings. The fairy bestows magic on the weapon to slay the dragon. It's similar to how Psychic and Fighting work, Mind > Matter. Magic > Might.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
You misinterpret. "Fairy-haters" complain about Fairy > Dragon being stupid as they say "Now Jigglypuff has an advantage over Dragonite, tiny cute Pokemon strong against superior dragons make no sense". There are heaps of examples were this is already evident in Pokemon, so why start complaining now?
Also, there are so much type advantages and disadvantages in Pokemon that don't make sense. If anything, Fairy > Dragon is one of the more logical typings. The fairy bestows magic on the weapon to slay the dragon. It's similar to how Psychic and Fighting work, Mind > Matter. Magic > Might.

No, I did not misinterpret anything. Jigglypuff, like Joltik, will not have any major effect on how the game plays. Fairy is where the fairy hate lies. The cutes are posted for fun but have little to do with the actual compliant for the type match-up. Marill and Jigglypuff will not have any real effect on dragon even with their new type unless you are in nfe battles. Even the jokes are midly funny if not somewhat annoying.

As for type match-ups, none from the past make less sense than fairy being stronger than Dragons. When Dragons are evil in lore, fairies are weak, frail pathetic creatures that trick humans into killing dragons for them since they are powerless against dragons themselves. When fairies are evil, they go out of thier way to avoid confronting dragons because they are powerless against them.

As for Magic>Might...no just no. A dragon IS the embodiment of magic. It is a being of pure magic and are impervious to direct assaults of magical kinds. Most media Dragons are highly resistant to magic. So there is nothing that can be pulled up that makes fairy strong against dragons make any sense. Gamefreak even said only reason it exists is because they wanted something to be stronger than Dragons.

Last edited:
Years
No, I did not misinterpret anything. Jigglypuff, like Joltik, will not have any major effect on how the game plays. Fairy is where the fairy hate lies. The cutes are posted for fun but have little to do with the actual compliant for the type match-up. Marill and Jigglypuff will not have any real effect on dragon even with their new type unless you are in nfe battles. Even the jokes are midly funny if not somewhat annoying.

As for type match-ups, none from the past make less sense than fairy being stronger than Dragons. When Dragons are evil in lore, fairies are weak, frail pathetic creatures that trick humans into killing dragons for them since they are powerless against dragons themselves. When fairies are evil, they go out of thier way to avoid confronting dragons because they are powerless against them.

As for Magic>Might...no just no. A dragon IS the embodiment of magic. It is a being of pure magic and are impervious to direct assaults of magical kinds. Most media Dragons are highly resistant to magic. So there is nothing that can be pulled up that makes fairy strong against dragons make any sense. Gamefreak even said only reason it exists is because they wanted something to be stronger than Dragons.

"Gamefreak even said only reason it exists is because they wanted something to be stronger than Dragons" No they didn't. It wasn't "Here's a new type solely introduce to balance out Dragons, the Fairy type". Also, if that's the only reason they introduced this type, then why Fairy? If the only reason they introduced a new type was to balance dragons, then it could have been a different type entirely. You honestly think GameFreak would make the new type "Fairy" just for the sake of it? No. They obviously used Fairy intentially because it fits.

And don't give me the whole "dragons are imperious to magic". In most fairy tales the only way to defeat the dragon is to use magic-based weapons. This is evident in SO many japanese stories, games, myths, anime etc. In Fire Emblem, there's always a sword with the sole purpose to defeat dragons with a description like "embroidered with ancient magic/ sword from the gods to slay dragons." Fairy Tail, an anime created in Japan, are about Dragons only being able to be defeated using Dragon Slaying Magic, which many of the members in Fairy Tail possess. In Pokemon, Dragon is weak to Dragon, Ice, and Fairy. If we are basing these type advantages/disadvantages on other examples of Fairy and Dragons, it only fits perfectly.

Also, if Dragons are immune to magic, then what is Ice? Why is Ice strong against Dragon? Because it freezes them? If you say Ice has nothing to do with magic and such, then we can say the same thing about Fairy. Why? Because in the Pokemon World, Ice, Dragons and Fairies are whatever GameFreak wants them to be. GameFreak has told us that in the Pokemon World, Fairies are strong against Dragons. We can't argue this is stupid or makes no sense because it just is. It'd be like saying that trees giving out oxygen and taking in CO2 makes no sense. Just accept it, because I'm 99.99999% sure that GameFreak aren't going to change this because of a few close-minded haters/fans.

Last edited:

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
A dragon IS the embodiment of magic. It is a being of pure magic and are impervious to direct assaults of magical kinds. Most media Dragons are highly resistant to magic. So there is nothing that can be pulled up that makes fairy strong against dragons make any sense.

^This makes the most sense if you consider the 4 elemental types (electrice, fire, water, grass) as magical or "mage" abilities...that is all I'm pointing here.

Years
Do you think maybe they'lll change existing moves to fairy-type? Like how Bite and Gust went from normal to Dark and Flying, respectively? I'm thinking moves like Moonlight, Wish, maybe even Flash if they agree to let dubbers decide to call it Light (which they may want to do).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
"Gamefreak even said only reason it exists is because they wanted something to be stronger than Dragons" No they didn't. It wasn't "Here's a new type solely introduce to balance out Dragons, the Fairy type". Also, if that's the only reason they introduced this type, then why Fairy? If the only reason they introduced a new type was to balance dragons, then it could have been a different type entirely. You honestly think GameFreak would make the new type "Fairy" just for the sake of it? No. They obviously used Fairy intentially because it fits.

Ya it was asked at E3 why Fairy existed.

Q - Will there be a story reason why Fairy-type will all of a sudden exist?
A - When we first decided we wanted to bring the type into the world, we wanted to find a way to balance the stength of the Dragon type. But no one wants us to weaken the Dragon-type Pokemon, so we decided to come up with something that could go against a Dragon, so that's why we came up with the Fairy-type.

They asked to explain why Fairy existed in the game. Their answer, we wanted to weaken Dragon without actually changing their stats so we created a new type to balance Dragon out more. The entire discussion was about adding a new weakness to Dragon Types so they made Fairy Type. Fairy Type exists to directly combat Dragon types. That was their purpose of being created.

And don't give me the whole "dragons are imperious to magic". In most fairy tales the only way to defeat the dragon is to use magic-based weapons. This is evident in SO many japanese stories, games, myths, anime etc. In Fire Emblem, there's always a sword with the sole purpose to defeat dragons with a description like "embroidered with ancient magic/ sword from the gods to slay dragons." Fairy Tail, an anime created in Japan, are about Dragons only being able to be defeated using Dragon Slaying Magic, which many of the members in Fairy Tail possess. In Pokemon, Dragon is weak to Dragon, Ice, and Fairy. If we are basing these type advantages/disadvantages on other examples of Fairy and Dragons, it only fits perfectly.

Um no. Dragons were equally immune to enchanted weapons as they were to direct magical assaults. A weapon that can harm Dragons usually was anti-magical and could cut through the magic that defends them.. As for Fairytail, why is Dragon Slaying Magic the only magic that can harm Dragons if they are supposed to be weak to magic? And no "Many" is a wrong word. There are only 7 known Mages with Dragon Slayer magic, 4 are in a guild of roughly 100 people. That in no way is many.

Divine weapons also are not magic. A Weapon from god has no magic in it, its a divine weapon that nullifies magic since Magic is a manipulation of ones will upon the planet and no one's will is stronger than that of a god. No magical weapons in stories were ever used and made directly for killing dragons. None of them have ever said, poke it with this and it'll die.

Some that I know of were enhancements to increase the weapon's ability, such as making it sharper than humanly possible, this would allow a sword to cut through the thick hide of a dragon. A Sword that would erupt into flames wouldn't do anything to a Dragon.

And again there are no stories that exist where the Fairy is not a sniveling coward when they meet with Dragons, so no there is no sense in Fairy being stronger than Dragon.

Also, if Dragons are immune to magic, then what is Ice? Why is Ice strong against Dragon? Because it freezes them? If you say Ice has nothing to do with magic and such, then we can say the same thing about Fairy. Why? Because in the Pokemon World, Ice, Dragons and Fairies are whatever GameFreak wants them to be. GameFreak has told us that in the Pokemon World, Fairies are strong against Dragons. We can't argue this is stupid or makes no sense because it just is. It'd be like saying that trees giving out oxygen and taking in CO2 makes no sense. Just accept it, because I'm 99.99999% sure that GameFreak aren't going to change this because of a few close-minded haters/fans.

Ice has nothing to do with magic. Its not magic. Its a natural element. Magic would only be classified by unnatural occurrences. Magic is a will that can mold the elements into use. As for why Dragons are weak to Ice in Pokemon, this is because of real world allusions. Dragons have no real world animal to directly relate to. So they are related to reptiles since they all look reptilian for the most part. Since Reptiles die when put into cold environments, Dragons were given weakness to Ice. Dragons in Pokemon are cold blooded or believed to be such since they are related to reptiles and cannot produce their own heat so cold temperatures are deadly to them.

Do you think maybe they'lll change existing moves to fairy-type? Like how Bite and Gust went from normal to Dark and Flying, respectively? I'm thinking moves like Moonlight, Wish, maybe even Flash if they agree to let dubbers decide to call it Light (which they may want to do).

A lot of people believe we'll have some, especially a few you named, changed to Fairy Type. Personally I don't see anything changing type.

Years
I still don't think fairy pokemon will stand to much of a chance against dragons. I think they should increase the stats of the pokemon that are now fairytypes from past generations. But this is just my opion.

aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2014
I still don't think fairy pokemon will stand to much of a chance against dragons. I think they should increase the stats of the pokemon that are now fairytypes from past generations. But this is just my opion.
We don't even know the stats of ANY new fairies or how many they'll be saying they don't stand a chance is jumping the gun a little bit don't you think.....

Years
We don't even know the stats of ANY new fairies or how many they'll be saying they don't stand a chance is jumping the gun a little bit don't you think.....

No, I'm talking about pokemon from the past generations that are now fairy type. I honestly don't think gamefreak will change thier stats. Tho some of the new fairy pokemon might be stronger when they're releqsed. But I'm talking about the previous pokemon. Tho if they did infact change the stats of previous pokemon the are now fairys, then it will be alittle better. Ethier way, I'm stating what I think. You don't have to agree or disagree. Feel free to do which ever tho. I don't care.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
No, I'm talking about pokemon from the past generations that are now fairy type. I honestly don't think gamefreak will change thier stats. Tho some of the new fairy pokemon might be stronger when they're releqsed. But I'm talking about the previous pokemon. Tho if they did infact change the stats of previous pokemon the are now fairys, then it will be alittle better. Ethier way, I'm stating what I think. You don't have to agree or disagree. Feel free to do which ever tho. I don't care.

If we get worth while physical Fairy attacks, Marill/Azumarill could get a boost. If none they may not get any boost. Gardevior may get a boost based on the videos. I don't see much, OU maybe...if she's not already there.

Years
If we get worth while physical Fairy attacks, Marill/Azumarill could get a boost. If none they may not get any boost. Gardevior may get a boost based on the videos. I don't see much, OU maybe...if she's not already there.

I hope Gardevoir does get a boost, she's just plain awesome and deserves a place in higher tiers. Right now she's NU :/.

Depending on how Fairy-Type moves are defensively, I don't see much change for Azumarill. A lot Azumarills carry Ice Punch, which do x4 to most dragons, whereas a STAB Fairy Move would do x3. But again, it all depends on Fairy's other offensive and defensive capabilities.

As for our Fairy > Dragon discussion, let's put it off until the release of Pokemon X and Y, when we have more Fairy Pokemon revealed, when we find out their base stats and when we find out how they fare in the story and metagame.

Mecheon

Flamingo Flambé
Years
  • Seen May 21, 2014
I'm okay with the "Fairy" type, but I would seriously question GF's character if it used this as a platform to launch a certain massive stereotype into the game as a (few) humanshape pokemon.

I'm hoping that when GF creates Fairy-Type pokemon, it won't confine the type to the cute & cuddly. "Fairy" encompasses impish mythological beings like goblins, gremlins, and trolls, too. In fact, Fairies are divided into a seelie court (light) and unseelie court (dark). It wouldn't be right to equate "Fairy" to "Light."

I'm also hoping that with the introduction of new types, the list of Normal-type pokemon and moves get(s) shorter (as more are converted to a real category that does not scream, "Generic!") The Fairy-type, in this way, is something I welcome.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
For a long time I was objecting to having any more new typings because I felt the game didn't need any and because I thought adding a new type so late into the franchise would be kind of dumb.

I'm actually really ecstatic about fairy type. I didn't like the name originally, but fairies aren't necessarily like Tinker Bell and other dainty things we see depicted in the media. And I looked into that more and ultimately I decided I actually really like fairy-type and I can't wait to raise a Pokemon of that type. Swirlex is the most adorable thing!

I'm curious to see how much of a game-changer it will be. :)

tnfsf11

They could have called it Troll type instead of Fairy :P It would make more sense to internet users since the new type will "troll" a strong type which is Dragon by cute little pocket monsters ^_^.
I can see in the far future GF making a new type called "Candy" to correspond to pokes like Swirlix & Vanillite & other futuristic pokes made after that {XD}

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
The effect of the addition of the fairy type will depend on the stats of the members of the new types.
I believe dragonite may remain a popular pokemon in the competitive metagame despite having another quadruple type disadvantage, as well as having a STAB type that is useless on fairy type pokemon. It has relatively high stats, a large movepool, and, if dreamworld abilities are not terminated, multiscale. It will probably have at least one attack that will be very/supereffective against fairies. Its stats, ability, and stat-boosting moves may enable it to survive at least one fairy attack and give it a chance to use a very/supereffective move on the fairy pokemon. It may also be able to out-speed a few fairy types. Having access to both substitute and roost will also be a huge asset.
Suffice to say, I would expect to see more choice-scarfed dragonites in the metagame in order for them to gain the upper-hand on any fairy-typed foe they may face.

Last edited:

The Chrono

Ragin' Cajun
Years
My #1 hope for Fairy is that they release some guys that are not just wimpy and pink.

They could do a lot with the Fairy type, including some pretty sinister monsters.

Back