• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other OPEN] Noble Magic [M]

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
jqu86VR.png

Noble Magic

A brief note to say that this a revival of a Roleplay I had intended to start... About two and half years ago? I left PC for various personal reasons back then, but Noble Magic never quite left my subconscious, and I'd like to give it another shot. PC's roleplaying community still seems the best fit for it, so I'm bringing it back here. The content of this introductory thread remains largely the same, with some tweaks for clarity. I've also done some retooling of the plot progression, so when/if we get going it should be a pretty smooth experience. I hope I can pique your interest!

Introduction

After a decade and a half of fighting, the land is truly at rest. Ten years ago, the Vestian Empire ended its brutal and bloody campaign for conquest of the realms that lie around the Lady's Sea. Soldoro and her allies fought them to a bitter stalemate, and an uneasy treatise was struck. In exchange for a strip of land on the edge of Soldoro, they would cease their crusade for domination. That peace remains to this day, but it came at a price.

Now, it is 1454 and King Perseus Velaro IV is the last of his family. The royal Velaro line have never been ones to shy from battle. Long standing tradition sees royal sons and daughters lead their soldiers to battle, wielding their magic with pride. However, this has been their downfall. Perseus has lost his consort, his siblings and his cousins. There is no one of close enough blood to be named successor. And Perseus cannot bring himself to be with another, after the death of his beloved. With the Vestians still prowling the border, this crisis is a constant pressure.

Therein lies the reason for the King's decree. Noble families of the land are to send a young member of their household to court this season. It is already a long standing tradition for noble youths to spend the summer at court in the Royal Palace, but this year shall be quite different: this year it is imperative. For the youth that impresses most shall be elevated to the status of heir, and adopted as the King's own. Not only this, but the family of the chosen shall be given the Duchy of Northern Soldoro: the position vacant since the death of the previous Duchess.

There will many chances to impress – fetes, masques, balls and feasts. And this year's season shall see the return of an event that has not been hosted since the beginning of the war: The Grand Tournament.

---​
Soldoro as a country is somewhere between real-life Italy and Greece in the Renaissance period. This is reflected in its architecture – buildings tend to have columns and wide arches and there are plenty of domed rooves in any city. It is on the western edge of an inland sea and has a warm, temperate to Mediterranean climate. There are wide swathes of farmland and vineyards, and its main exports are wines and olives, along with having a thriving fishing industry.

Art and culture are at the fore of all things in Soldoro, and new technologies are often being discovered. A land with magic has no need for guns, and hence they do not exist in this world. Swords and crossbows are fought with, but these are usually only when a person is lacking in combative magical prowess.

Religion in Soldoro is primarily a belief in 'The Goddess' (alternatively referred to as 'the/our Lady'). It is monotheistic, though The Goddess is believed to have multiple aspects – and these vary from region to region. Noble families are expected to show public dedication to her, as Minaism is the state religion. Whether this is privately just lip service is up to the discretion of the individuals.

Nobility

[FONT= "Brawler"]You will play the child of a noble family sent to the king's court with the intention of becoming his heir. The nobility of Soldoro is made up of Mage families – mages are the ruling class in this land. Magic appears among the commoners, but only rarely. It is most strongly carried in the bloodlines of the old families, where it has been held for centuries. This causes a notable class divide, with many nobles looking down upon the 'peasants'. There is further divide among the ranks of nobility, and at court where you stand on this scale affects the way you are perceived by others.

The ranks are as follows (in descending order):

Spoiler:

You may choose to be the child of a noble of any one of these ranks, apart from Duke/Duchess. The Duke of South Soldoro is an NPC, and as stated above the Duchy of the North goes to the family of the chosen heir.
[/FONT]

Magic

All of the noble families of Soldoro have magic in their blood. However, a mage can only be of a certain type – and these types are exclusive. Even if the character you are playing is a child of two different kinds of mages, they will only be able to perform one kind of magic. On occasion, a child may find they are not of the same type of either their parents, but instead of a type from a prior generation.

Basic spells can often be cast with no more than thought and intention. More complex spells may require incantations and rituals.

The types of magic are as follows:

Spoiler:

Gameplay

The game will play out as a hybrid. The action will happen primarily in the capital city of Avilla, and surround the advancing season at court. There will be periodic events that characters are required to attend – balls and feasts and such. And your characters will also be called to partake in bouts in the Grand Tournament. Between these events your characters will be free to explore the city and the castle as they please and pursue their own interests, in a small sandbox type of environment. Often there will be ongoing events in the city that your characters are free to investigate (or not) at their leisure. The plot will move on periodically as the season progresses, and does have defined end goal.

Largely, the point of the roleplay is to manoeuvre through the political and social entanglements of your character's time at court. How they act will affect how they are seen, and will affect the news of them that reaches the king's ears. Cause a scene in public, and people may start to whisper about your character. However, it is not imperative that your character should want to become the king's heir – indeed a family member may have pushed them into attending Perhaps they simply wish to enjoy a season at the Royal court. There shall be a set end point (the heir is decided upon) and from there everything shall wind down.

As GM, I'll provide posts with context – the mood at court, insights from the King and other NPCs and things happening in the city. At times I may provide suggestions for places within Avilla for your characters to visit that offer non-essential sub-plots. Behind the scenes I'll be keeping track of your characters actions and how they have affected their social standing and likelihood of becoming the King's heir.

Locations

Just a brief bit of info on some of the areas in Soldoro – like I said above, most of the roleplay with be played out in the capital city, but this section can be used when you're building your sign-up.

Spoiler:

The City of Avilla

G45WNCD.png

If an area has a more general name, that describes the kind of things in that location, then it's perfectly fine for you to impose a bit of your own geography on Avilla. You can invent museums or shops or taverns that your character may find when exploring.

Avilla itself is not unlike Rome in appearance. Buildings are white and terracotta – the architecture is brimming with columns and archways. Many buildings have statues and carvings to decorate them.
Spoiler:

Sign-up

Name:

Magic Type and Style: Remember, only one type. Give some idea of how your character uses this kind of magic, and what areas of it they are proficient in. It is fine for your character to be adept in their chosen style, but powerplaying their magic is not. All magic has its weaknesses, and its strengths.

Noble Status: Which rank of nobility your character's parents belong to, and which city they rule, or where their land is. If you aren't playing the child of a Count/Contessa, then lay claim to the areas of Soldoro you see fit, but give a general idea of where in the country your land is, and what it contains (making up villages and towns is perfectly okay!).

For the child of a Count/Contessa you can claim any city you wish, and this shall be a first-come, first-saved basis. You can choose any of the five cities that are not the capital.

Appearance: A picture or a detailed description, or some combination of the two.

Personality/Background: What your character is like, and little bit of their history up to this point.

Family Background: This only has to be brief – a sentence or two to give some idea of how long they have held their title and general popularity with the local populace. This section can be incorporated into the above if that's easier.

Rules

1. Obviously, all the normal PC and RPT rules apply.

2. Joint posting is allowed, and may even work nicely when it comes to bouts in the Grand Tournament.

3. No powerplaying – it's fine to be adept at your magic type, but it isn't fine to be an all-powerful, invulnerable mage.

4. Your characters may not leave Avilla. If you have a good reason to do so, then please ask. Otherwise, it's unlikely that our young nobles would go wandering the countryside alone. It simply wouldn't do.

5. Activity wise, at least weekly posts are preferable. There's flexibility here, depending on how long people think it will take.

6. Be nice to me and each other! Especially me though.

Accepted Players

1. Me as King Perseus Velaro IV and various NPCs.

2. Godzil as Trevor Silverman.

3. Songbird as Marisa Graf and Sasha Quinn.

4. Kikpanther as Lyra Damontefeltro.

5. Quest as Marjorie Venilia-Viggo

6. Junier as Rane Branto de Sarohttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uho2AYrWTW4f-atsp3-MxN2gV8zsiVbHnYh9yj6BHIU/edit?usp=sharing.

(Character names link to sign-ups).

Last edited:

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Wh-what the fuck, literally out of nowhere... Noble Magic's back?

This is really cool to see, honest! I loved the concept behind this, aha! I'll definitely try to find time to consider a character again! Do you remember Tito?

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
Wh-what the fuck, literally out of nowhere... Noble Magic's back?

This is really cool to see, honest! I loved the concept behind this, aha! I'll definitely try to find time to consider a character again! Do you remember Tito?

Thanks so much! I do remember Tito, I was reading through the old thread and just seeing how much work everyone had put into their sign-ups made me a lil' sad because I had neglected something I was proud of/that others were enthusiastic about.

I'm so glad you remember the roleplay, it would super awesome to have Tito or a new character come back to Soldoro!

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Aww... At least we can make magic happen this time. Glad you came back to this!

Tbh I thought Tito as a character was a little milquetoast, but I like the idea of a rapier-wielding, elemental country boy of a mage was a fun enough concept that I want to revisit him... I know for sure I want to make him a more established wind/fire mage and then give him like a Grecian-Roman name

Last edited:

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
Aww... At least we can make magic happen this time. Glad you came back to this!

Tbh I thought Tito as a character was a little milquetoast, but I like the idea of a rapier-wielding, elemental country boy of a mage was a fun enough concept that I want to revisit him... I know for sure I want to make him a more established wind/fire mage and then give him like a Grecian-Roman name

I'm pumped that you're already thinking of ideas! Magic will happen. Magic and EXTREME VIOLENCE an appropriate level of violence.

I have to go dust off my old SU. It's back!

Glad to see you wanna come back, can't wait to see your sign up! Are you thinking of using Trevor again?

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
OOoh I get set people on fire? ...within reason? Lol, I'll let you know if I have any questions

Years
Glad to see you wanna come back, can't wait to see your sign up! Are you thinking of using Trevor again?

Probably! But not the same as before. I'll probably reuse the appearance, name, and magic, but with a new history and personality, among other small changes.

In fact, here it is:

Name: Trevor Silverman

Magic Type and Style: Force Magic. Trevor is highly skilled in the use of telekinesis, which he wields as easily and dexterously as his own hands. In fact, he would prefer telekinesis over his hands, and casually uses his magic to pick up and move objects. While it is said that force mages can levitate themselves and eventually fly, Trevor rarely sees the need, so his skill at it is rather limited. In combat, he has had to remain subtle, wrapping his body in a protective layer of kinetic force and augmenting his physical strikes with force energy. If given the chance to show off his magic, his focus on the physical would manifest not as crude blasts of force or formless shields, but as hand-shaped constructs of kinetic energy.

Noble Status: Lord. Trevor's father Vincent Silverman is the Baron of Sweetwater, a farming community along the banks of the Oran River. Sweetwater is known for producing fruit, and much of the town's income comes from Sweetwater Acres, the largest apple orchard all of Soldoro. Trevor himself owns only a portion of the land, Sweetwater Acres itself, and thus is a Lord.

Appearance:
Spoiler:

Trevor is a slender, gangly fellow, precisely six feet tall and likely weighing no more than 140 lbs. He has light skin, brown eyes, and dark hair that reaches his shoulders and is perpetually messy. Though he is thin, he has a strong jaw and large nose, with a set of simple silver spectacles perched on his nose. He prefers a simple, academic style of fashion: black slacks and shoes, a long-sleeved white shirt, and a black robe.

Personality/Background: Trevor has worked hard his entire life to get to where he is. He is proud of his noble heritage, seeing himself as of a higher status than common people, but he isn't afraid to go out and take care of things directly. He respects the authority of those above him, and expects the same of people below him, so he's kind of uptight and big on rules. He enjoys reading, practicing his magic, and training himself in hand-to-hand combat (and occasionally sneaks out of the manor to participate in an underground fight club at the tavern). In a sense, he is desperate for acceptance, facing any challenge to win the approval of his family, or to be seen as a hero to the common folk. He often hears veiled insults and threats when people talk to him, and is quick to anger. He occasionally affects a slight accent, picked up from the workers on his family's farm.

Growing up was difficult for Trevor. His whole life, he lived in the shadow of his older brother, Sylvester. His father lived in his family's mansion, conducting state affairs and training Sylvester to take over the estate, while his mother lived on her farm, working the land. Trevor spent most of his childhood with his mother on the farm, learning the ways of the land and working with the farmhands, most of whom came from the Vestian Empire to the South. His father barely took notice of him, but when he turned 15, his father abruptly brought him to the manor, to be trained as an accountant, assistant, and advisor to his brother. Even his magic, which he had started to develop years before, was no more than a passing curiosity to his father. Trevor suspects that even his upcoming visit to the Royal Court is nothing more than a formality, his father sending the "spare" as a matter of tradition. Still, it will be a nice change of scenery, and a chance to perhaps prove himself.

"If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields. Metaphorically speaking, of course..."

Family Background: The Silverman family has governed the town of Sweetwater for almost 100 years, turning a collection of farms into a thriving community. Trevor's father broke traditional marriage practices by marrying a commoner, Vera, the owner of Sweetwater Acres. This has earned their family the scorn of other nobles, but a measure of respect within the town itself. Combined with other practices to improve the condition of the people, the Silverman family is one of the less wealthy of the noble families, despite a profitable region, and are looked down on as overly sentimental liberals by other noble families.

Last edited:

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Thought of a question!
What would you say the gender roles of Soldoro are like? Because Renaissance culture, but there's also that detail of both male and female mages fighting in the war, so is that a reflection of men and women being considered socially on an equal plane?

And also, does everyone have magic? Or is it exclusive to certain lineages?

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
What would you say the gender roles of Soldoro are like? Because Renaissance culture, but there's also that detail of both male and female mages fighting in the war, so is that a reflection of men and women being considered socially on an equal plane?

And also, does everyone have magic? Or is it exclusive to certain lineages?

I envision gender roles as entirely equal. Everyone does everything. The main inequality in Soldoro is class.

I think I touched on it, but anyone can potentially have magic. It appears in noble lines predominantly because it was seen as a desirable trait and selected for over many generations. Commoners can have magic and if it appears in many successive generations the family will likely be elevated to noble status, maintaining mages as the ruling class in Soldoro.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
> "selected for"
giphy.gif

equal gender roles will make for some fun speculation! back to the good ol' days... of pre-agricultural society, lol.

thanks for the clarification!​

Years
Name: Olcan Birchwield

Magic Type and Style: Olcan practices Natural Magic with a primary focus in shapeshifting. His training in shapeshifting began at the age of sixteen and, while not yet mastering it yet, has become quite proficient at it. He primarily uses this ability to slightly transform and achieve heightened senses, but their are instances of him completely transforming. It is difficult to notice any visible differences while he is partially transformed as he changes his sensual capacity more than that of his physical appearance. However, the transformation process is a strenuous one and often leaves Olcan in a state of exhaustion afterwards.

Noble Status: Baron. Olcan's father Arthur Birchwield is the Baron of Holzrend, a small lumber village located on the coast of Sarica Lake and within an hour's walk of the forests that border the Republic of Navancy.

Appearance: http://suzanne-helmigh.deviantart.com/art/Rotgar-portrait-632065300

Personality/Background:

Family Background:

I'm going to finish the last part soon. Also, I had trouble with the image, so apologies in advance.

Last edited:

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
I'm going to finish the last part soon. Also, I had trouble with the image, so apologies in advance.

Just give me a shout when it's ready!
--

A little update:

I've been working on the first post/introduction to the RP and various bits of lore that will be important as we progress. Some of the NPCs like the King and Duke of South Soldoro have been further fleshed out. I wanna make sure there's plenty of contextual stuff for the players to bounce off, and some good plotted sections outside of the sandbox portions.

I know I've got some sign-ups still to come, and if it feels like we need more characters I'm sure I can come up with one of my own. There will be a small window of time after the RP begins where new characters can join, however, so if you're interested and don't know whether to commit your time yet, don't worry too much about it. I'll make it clear when sign-ups are closed.

Last edited:

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Hey, I'm one of those people who exist. Who's surprised to see me? Probably nobody. What a warm welcome. Screw you guys. I still love you, though. Okay, I'm ambivalent, but that's good enough, right?

Now that I'm done talking to myself, here's a sign-up. Read it, make fun of it and/or completely ignore it at your leisure.

Spoiler:

Second verse, same as the first.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
I am also a person who is interested in participating in this. I'm glad to see that you and this RP are back.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
I am also a person who is interested in participating in this. I'm glad to see that you and this RP are back.

Thanks! I'd love for you to be involved!

Hey, I'm one of those people who exist. Who's surprised to see me? Probably nobody. What a warm welcome. Screw you guys. I still love you, though. Okay, I'm ambivalent, but that's good enough, right?

Marisa is accepted! Here's to the young Miss Graf's first public outing!

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
To whom it may concern, which is certainly not very many people given my track record, I have returned to my typical schtick and made a second character. Expect a fifth third in short order, or not. Couldn't say for sure. For those who ignore me, please enjoy your day, and for those who read, feel free to be intrigued and/or repulsed at your earliest convenience.

Last edited:

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
Sasha is accepted!

Couple of notes for interested parties/current players:

- If you wish to supply character sheets/sign-ups for supplementary characters like Songbird has for Marisa, please feel free. I'll put them alongside your nobles in a different colour in the main post.
- I was asked about the islands off the coast of Avilla, this area is off limits to claim for your nobles because it's going to be involved in the plot of the roleplay.

Back