• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime scores and ratings

pkmin3033

Mostly I score a show based on how much I enjoyed it whilst I was watching it, and the overall impression I have of it when it ends. Endings often drag scores right down for me - especially with series based on incomplete works, where they don't have a proper conclusion and leave me feeling like I wasted my time...and if I was enjoying them up to that point it's even worse - just as soundtrack can boost them up - the only reason Madoka got a 2 instead of a 1 from me was because of the OST leaving a strong impression on me, for example.

I'm quite critical with my scores, because I'm very difficult to please and I have a short attention span when it comes to watching things. Quite often my attention wanders and I find myself clicking away because it just doesn't hold my interest.

Years
The characters are the most important to me, I usually decide my ratings on that and the story, I don't tend to rate too often though and like it when I really enjoy an anime.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Originally, I did it based on this sort of mix between enjoyment and objectivity. Obviously can't be objective with a review, so when I say this I'm generally referring to things I think the show does well regardless of whether I liked them.

Changed that pretty recently, and whenever someone comes my way and sees that I have so many 6s and 5s, I imagine they must wonder whether I like anything at all. Which makes sense, my scale's a lot more rigid than most, but like...Minami-ke was a pretty good time. If someone threw a blu-ray of Inazuma Eleven Chrono Stone at me, I'd be like "Fuck yeah" and watch it with 'em. Mayoiga was a stupid fun time, Big Order was a fun stupid time. But mostly all of my 6s I enjoyed. Because 6 is above average. If the show had several flaws but I still enjoyed it to some extent (albeit not that much), it's a six. If it didn't "offend" me in any way but wasn't particularly standout in any fashion, it's 5. It's average. Not a bad time, but one that I wouldn't exactly call all that great or even particularly good.

So it's mostly based on enjoyment, though my enjoyment comes directly from the anime's various parts, generally. Writing, vocal performance, line direction, music and overall sound design, characters, the overall aesthetic as well as the animation, direction (and that's a big one for me) and various other things. In that sense, I don't really feel that there's much reason for me to focus on providing scores that reflect how good I think the show is rather than how I feel about it personally because, for the most part, they're one and the same.

Oh, and I started using 10s recently, too. Originally I kept it reserved for perfect anime- which didn't exist, of course, but I do keep it pretty restrictive.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
I just rate based on how much I enjoyed something. But when I don't like it, I try to find for good points. More often than not an anime is not a 0/10, but sometimes they have good points.

For example, I rated Spiritpact 2/10 because it was truly awful, but the soundtrack was pretty good ^-^;.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Originally, I did it based on this sort of mix between enjoyment and objectivity. Obviously can't be objective with a review, so when I say this I'm generally referring to things I think the show does well regardless of whether I liked them.

Changed that pretty recently, and whenever someone comes my way and sees that I have so many 6s and 5s, I imagine they must wonder whether I like anything at all. Which makes sense, my scale's a lot more rigid than most, but like...Minami-ke was a pretty good time. If someone threw a blu-ray of Inazuma Eleven Chrono Stone at me, I'd be like "Fuck yeah" and watch it with 'em. Mayoiga was a stupid fun time, Big Order was a fun stupid time. But mostly all of my 6s I enjoyed. Because 6 is above average. If the show had several flaws but I still enjoyed it to some extent (albeit not that much), it's a six. If it didn't "offend" me in any way but wasn't particularly standout in any fashion, it's 5. It's average. Not a bad time, but one that I wouldn't exactly call all that great or even particularly good.

So it's mostly based on enjoyment, though my enjoyment comes directly from the anime's various parts, generally. Writing, vocal performance, line direction, music and overall sound design, characters, the overall aesthetic as well as the animation, direction (and that's a big one for me) and various other things. In that sense, I don't really feel that there's much reason for me to focus on providing scores that reflect how good I think the show is rather than how I feel about it personally because, for the most part, they're one and the same.

Oh, and I started using 10s recently, too. Originally I kept it reserved for perfect anime- which didn't exist, of course, but I do keep it pretty restrictive.
My ratings have never been so low as to make my average be close to 5s and 6es, but I go with a similar rating scheme. I do use the entire range from 1-10, yes, but it is primarily enjoyment oriented rather than the rather rigid scheme of rating different aspects separately and then averaging them at the end. If a show had stellar visuals but sucked donkey balls as a story and didn't appeal to me much, it'll probably get a 3-4. So while every aspect does play a role into the score, they do so while being secondary in nature. Enjoyment comes first.

I don't really rate but enjoyment is the only thing that matters.

Quoted for truth. Sasuga.

Woah.

Satoshi, c'mon, you've gotta have some kinda standards.

HanaKana = 9
HanaKana with HanaKana OP/ED = 10.

I wonder what kind of score Satoshi would give to an anime on HanaKana where she plays all the characters and sings all songs and all the music is comprised of her making noises and nothing else.

/lolwatdafugamisaying

Nah, that would be disrespectful to HanaKana :P
Sure. But how do you rate a HanaKana work that surpasses the HanaKana standards?

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
Years
For me it's based on the writing. In order for a story to be good, the writing needs to be solid. Following that is characters, animation, and overall enjoyment.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I wonder what kind of score Satoshi would give to an anime on HanaKana where she plays all the characters and sings all songs and all the music is comprised of her making noises and nothing else.
I wouldn't. Watching that anime would be the last thing I would do in my life =D

Sure. But how do you rate a HanaKana work that surpasses the HanaKana standards?
That's inner 11/10 xD

Does this mean Satoshi considers ReWrite to be a 10/10...? 'Cause that's questionable.
Sure. I loved Rewrite. That's Suzukiiiiiiii Booooondo/10.

pkmin3033

Guess there's no accounting for taste...good thing too otherwise there would be much trouble

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Mostly how much I enjoyed it, how many weird moments there were, the quality... I mean, enjoyment kind of trumps it all though. Sorry I know this is why some bad shows are highly rated, but whatever.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Enjoyment is the prime factor for me.

I personally also have a separate set of rules on how much scoring I am going to give...

I only score anime that I have completed at least 1/3 of it, and will only do so on completion or dropping.

Anime that is dropped very early on usually indicates "hmm, not for me" and I avoid giving any score in such cases.

Back