• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

☣ Toxic ☣ - The Poison Type Fanclub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Sorry for late welcomes - been ridiculously busy with uni work aha.

Name: TwilightBlade
Partner Pokemon: Thysania the Venomoth
Answer the current topic: Gonna answer a previous topic since I don't feel like hunting for fan art.

What is your favourite Poison type Pokémon and what makes it unique?
Like omg I have 6 shiny Venomoth and they're so wonderful and I would be fine dying from being surrounded and suffocated by a bunch of Venomoth idkkkk. I like that Venomoth is cute and tough; it can get tinted lens omg! It can learn powders, quiver dance, morning sun, psychic, giga drain, good stuff all moves I love.
Welcome welcome welcome! <3 Venomoth is certainly a beautiful looking Pokémon but cute? I'm not so sure on that one haha. So what first started off your love with the Poison type moth Pokémon? It's not a Pokémon that I see being used much so there's got to be some kind of story there - spill! As for dying from them suffocating you... Just wow lmao. I can't say I like any Pokémon that much. xD Anyhow, welcome & enjoy your time here cutie!

I chained shiny Venomoth in DPPt :) I also have chained 3 shiny Ariados and 2 shiny Nidoking.

I caught a shiny Weedle (now Beedrill) in Crystal. Also, I saw a shiny Grimer, but it ran from me. In Gold, Silver, and Crystal versions, only a few species of wild Pokemon can flee from battle, Grimer being one of those. 8|
Hngg shiny Poison types are awesome <3 Grimer becomes a huge boogie and Koffing turns an awesome shade of blue and they all just look so cool. One that I'm not so keen on is shiny Gulpin since that looks kind of gross, but shiny Swalot makes up for it boasting a similar elegance from its colour as Koffing. Certainly some of my favourite designs :)

Thats cool. I never had the patience or the grace in my finger muscles to chain all the way to a shiny. Well, for the topic are there any pics of poison pokes you find interesting?
Spoiler:

Er... uh. I'm so rusty with forums I'm actually kind of nervous. <_<;

Spoiler:

So, yeah. :D
Good morning, welcome to the club! Hope you have a wonderful time with us here n.n So I now completely understand your love for Nidorina which surprised me considering it's a Pokémon that five minutes ago I disliked intensely, but what other Poison types do you like? Also you didn't mention Nidoqueen at all - are you a fan of her? Would you evolve a Nidorina? I'm really curious about this since it's honestly a Pokémon that I've never liked at all, so seeing your views may help change that. :D

I too have done some drawings of Muk. Nothing over the top or mind-blowing but I try to depict the boundless personallity Muk truly has.
Post them post them post them post them post them post them post them post them! :D

So last night for some reason I started thinking about the Scorupi family and then realised that they're actually really cool! Their designs are awesome, Drapion is badass and they're both Poison types. I'm curious, does/has anyone used these Pokémon much? I'm wanting to try them out but I'm clueless on moves to give them (I'm thinking elemental fangs but they're kinda weak...?) and honestly I don't know much about them at all haha. Anyone interested in that duo?

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
@CourageHound - I'm a little slow when it comes to forum terminology. What's an "SU"?

But as for the other stuff, Rina wasn't the first Pokemon I saw, I guess that honor goes to Pikachu (though to be fair, if you grew up before the series existed, the first Pokemon you saw was probably Pikachu, Charizard or Blastoise). I didn't even care about Nidorina until I forced myself to make a sympathetic story about one 12-ish years ago. Then, I felt really sorry for that character. Long story short, she became a major character, and a really positive, loving one at that, and she remains one of my favorite character-Nidorinas because of that. So really, it was that one character that caused me to look at the species as a whole differently, and now I love them.

Sometimes, you just have to make stories about all Pokemon to become more tolerant, if not understanding of them, and that's what that comic series I made back then was all about (each of the original 151 got a story for themselves). It's why I don't dislike any of the original set, nostalgia has nothing to do with it (maybe self-induced nostalgia, but nevertheless).

As for being replaced, at this point, never. It happened temporarily during the 3rd generation. I was obsessed with Kirlia and Mawile, and they anihilated all my other favorites, probably filling every slot in a potential top 500 (so my 3rd favorite would now be my 501st favorite). But I was also younger back then, too, so obsession was something that came easier, and took over without me either noticing it, or bothering to restrain against it.

But when that happens, you can expect a rough burnout. It didn't take too long for the both of them to take a harsh dive in the ranks, and I don't pay either of them much attention anymore. At the end of the day, the long suffering Nidorina was still there (oh God why is this so dramatic, ahahaha).

I burnt out on Pokemon during the 3rd generation, and I've given up on/moved on from the franchise shortly after the 5th gen set of games were released (more coincedental, considering I never bothered to see who or what the games were about, aside from being the same ol' same old). As a franchise, Pokemon has nothing else for me, which by virtue means that Nidorina can't be replaced at this point. It's impossible, and if you don't believe that, then I'll say it's definately not feasible. I can vaguely remember any of the Pokemon within the first three generations as it is.

@AlexOzzyCake - I ought to just give you a link to my website. If you go in with genuine interest and spend some time looking at the best stuff there, I'd honestly dare you to come out of it without having some kind of respect or appreciation for what can be done with the Nido family. I've had a pretty sizable impact on how people perceive them. But you couldn't skim through it, it would defeat the purpose. But, I have too much humility to feel comfortable in doing that (years ago, I'd probably be more shameless). 'w';

It's hard to explaaaaaiiiinnnn... argh... you know how people always love the underdog? The Nidos are the underdog I've taken under my wing, as it were, so I put in a lot of my own talents (widespread talents. I mean more than just fan art) to essentially vouch for them that "Hey guys! These Pokemon are really cool" or "Nidos CAN be cool, too". If you read above what I've said to CourageHound, I myself didn't care for Nidorina until I wrote a story about one. Sometimes, that's literally all it takes is to, well I don't want to say humanize them, but to make them more than just a soulless bunch of pixels.

You mention Nidoqueen. Personally, I like all the Nidos except Nidoking, who I don't have a problem with, but he's more of a background character to me (I think since he was always fairly popular, I felt like he didn't need my assistance, so I never got attached). But would I evolve a Nidorina into one? The absolute honest answer to that is that I wouldn't even get involved in catching Pokemon to begin with. But let's say a Nidoran Female was given to me as a gift. The answer would be no, because there's no need to. I honestly don't like the idea of Pokemon battling, if I were to think about it in real world terms, but in the game universe, meh, it's just a game.

Let's cut out all the hypotheticals in real life and just focus on the games. Would I? Actually, in that case, I'd have 2 Nidorina, one primed for evolution and one to keep, because Nidoqueen is a good Pokemon to have on a team, I'm no fool. :P But (a) Nidorina would always be on my team, I'd never put her in a box. She's my personal Pikachu. It's been this way in Silver, and again in the Kanto remakes (and anytime I went back and played R/B, the first passes don't count).

As for other Poison types... I dunno, Ekans is cool. Gulpin's poison, right? He's cool too. I honestly can't remember a whole lot of Pokemon without looking them up, so while there might be others, that's the best I got off the top of my head. However, I think I'm sort of cheating to say I like Nidos, because I see them more as rabbits first before it sets in that they're part of the Poison category. It's not as obvious as Muk or Grimer where you think "Oh yeah, THAT guy is poisonous". Also, my favorite animals in real life are rodents and lagomorphs, along with the koala.

Could I guess why you don't like Nidorina?
  • Useless in terms of stats? Aren't most Pokemon?
  • Useless in terms of moveset? She isn't tied down to her standard moves, and over the years they've gotten a little better. But egg breeding and such wouldn't be worth it if the first reason is a barrier.
  • Not much to look at? As stated, that's the anime's fault, and I was essentially able to prove that. Nidorina, for all intents and purposes, was supposed to look like a feminine Bulba/Ivysaur at best, but Sugimori's art was ignored. It's something I point out a lot, because it's such a misconception that at this point is very widespread, especially since marketing, merchandise and the like have used the anime as a guideline, and not Sugimori. So hag-Nidorina became the variation everyone knew her as. Fortunately, recent measures have been taken to rectify that officially, but it may be a bit too late. Oh Lord, I know way too much about this junk no one cares about. 9_9
I should point out that the current artwork Sugimori has produced of the Pokemon is sort of a fusion/compromise of his art and the anime's, which in a way actually borked up Nidoran Female and Nidoking (Nido F has less of an animal's anatomy now, and Nidoking looks a LOT less menacing) to a degree. But it really streamlined a lot of others. Fortunately, Nidorina's still based moreso on his original design, but she's less fat and a little less maternal in appearance.

Whew. Sorry for the text wall, guys, but you sort of asked for it. :D And this right here is nothing. I could always go deeper, ahaha!

Eh, here's some more fan art. These are mine, so I don't have to feel bad about found pics.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Yeah. I'm going to admit most of my art is like the last two, based on characters. I barely draw garden-variety-super-average-common-everyday Nidos anymore, like the first two pics. That dwindled alongside my regards for the franchise itself. I don't have a whole lot of common Nido art to show that's newer than 3 years. I have some that's older, but it doesn't really reflect my personal style of drawing. Also, my avatar was also drawn/colored by me.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Name: Rainbow Arcanine
Partner Pokemon: Axel the Stunky
Answer the Current Topic:
Sorry I couldn't find much fanart I liked ;___;, so I'm just going to go back to a previous topic.

STUNKY <333! Honestly, there isn't enough adjectives ,feelings or screams to describe this little creature. It doesn't receive too much love unfortunately ;_____; , but in my heart it will always be a special little thing. In real life, it would be based off a skunk I'm assuming :3? Skunks have an amazing defence system with when they feel threatened or attacked, they'll stick up their rear and spray out a revolting, unbearable gas, that would easily scare away any creature. I have to admit, skunks aren't all that pretty D:, but they have a unique way of protecting themselves and I've admired them since I was in preschool x).

When I first saw Stunky, it was honestly love at first sight. I had all these flashbacks of pictures of real-life and cartoon skunks, then screamed at my Diamond and caught it. It was a great unique battler too with sneaky moves like Night Slash and Sucker Punch. Amazing little dude :3. I don't like Skuntank as much honestly, since I prefer first-stage evolutions as all of them look adorable :). It's face sort of disturbed me at first, as it sort of looked like an angry cat but over time I got used to it and started loving the design. And that began my year's worth of random sketches of all these adorable Stunkys, just lying down, eating berries and what not x), I used to mess around a lot and laugh endlessly how messy my drawings were, but it sure was a ton of fun :3.

Stunky had a little bit of competition with my second favourite Gulpin, but it overcame that and claimed the cake :3.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
@CourageHound - I'm a little slow when it comes to forum terminology. What's an "SU"?

No problem. An SU means "Sign Up". Like, Sign Up form.

But as for the other stuff, Rina wasn't the first Pokemon I saw, I guess that honor goes to Pikachu (though to be fair, if you grew up before the series existed, the first Pokemon you saw was probably Pikachu, Charizard or Blastoise). I didn't even care about Nidorina until I forced myself to make a sympathetic story about one 12-ish years ago. Then, I felt really sorry for that character. Long story short, she became a major character, and a really positive, loving one at that, and she remains one of my favorite character-Nidorinas because of that. So really, it was that one character that caused me to look at the species as a whole differently, and now I love them.

Sometimes, you just have to make stories about all Pokemon to become more tolerant, if not understanding of them, and that's what that comic series I made back then was all about (each of the original 151 got a story for themselves). It's why I don't dislike any of the original set, nostalgia has nothing to do with it (maybe self-induced nostalgia, but nevertheless).

I know exaaactly what you mean. For some Pokemon, learning to like them, in most cases is something more or less aquired. That was the same for me and Muk.

As for being replaced, at this point, never. It happened temporarily during the 3rd generation. I was obsessed with Kirlia and Mawile, and they anihilated all my other favorites, probably filling every slot in a potential top 500 (so my 3rd favorite would now be my 501st favorite). But I was also younger back then, too, so obsession was something that came easier, and took over without me either noticing it, or bothering to restrain against it.

Gengar a few times took Muk's place as fav poison type but Muk always came back on top again. That being said Geengar is now 2nd fav poison type and 4th fav pokemon overall.

But when that happens, you can expect a rough burnout. It didn't take too long for the both of them to take a harsh dive in the ranks, and I don't pay either of them much attention anymore. At the end of the day, the long suffering Nidorina was still there (oh God why is this so dramatic, ahahaha).

I burnt out on Pokemon during the 3rd generation, and I've given up on/moved on from the franchise shortly after the 5th gen set of games were released (more coincedental, considering I never bothered to see who or what the games were about, aside from being the same ol' same old). As a franchise, Pokemon has nothing else for me, which by virtue means that Nidorina can't be replaced at this point. It's impossible, and if you don't believe that, then I'll say it's definately not feasible. I can vaguely remember any of the Pokemon within the first three generations as it is.

I....dont think i'll ever have a burnout like that

It's hard to explaaaaaiiiinnnn... argh... you know how people always love the underdog? The Nidos are the underdog I've taken under my wing, as it were, so I put in a lot of my own talents (widespread talents. I mean more than just fan art) to essentially vouch for them that "Hey guys! These Pokemon are really cool" or "Nidos CAN be cool, too". If you read above what I've said to CourageHound, I myself didn't care for Nidorina until I wrote a story about one. Sometimes, that's literally all it takes is to, well I don't want to say humanize them, but to make them more than just a soulless bunch of pixels.
^Same. When i look at this, it looks as if I'm quoting myself ;)

• Not much to look at? As stated, that's the anime's fault, and I was essentially able to prove that. Nidorina, for all intents and purposes, was supposed to look like a feminine Bulba/Ivysaur at best, but Sugimori's art was ignored. It's something I point out a lot, because it's such a misconception that at this point is very widespread, especially since marketing, merchandise and the like have used the anime as a guideline, and not Sugimori. So hag-Nidorina became the variation everyone knew her as. Fortunately, recent measures have been taken to rectify that officially, but it may be a bit too late. Oh Lord, I know way too much about this junk no one cares about. 9_9

:o I care! Nice food for thought

Whew. Sorry for the text wall, guys, but you sort of asked for it. :D And this right here is nothing. I could always go deeper, ahaha!
Naw, its ok go ahead! I live for that kinda stuff ;)

Eh, here's some more fan art. These are mine, so I don't have to feel bad about found pics.

Spoiler:

Yeah. I'm going to admit most of my art is like the last two, based on characters. I barely draw garden-variety-super-average-common-everyday Nidos anymore, like the first two pics. That dwindled alongside my regards for the franchise itself. I don't have a whole lot of common Nido art to show that's newer than 3 years. I have some that's older, but it doesn't really reflect my personal style of drawing. Also, my avatar was also drawn/colored by me.

Theese are all really good. I'm more of a sketch artist and I kinda suck at painting/coloring. Maybe if I had a electronic sketch pad I could do digital images.....Well anyway, congrats. When I try to draw Gengar and Muk, its always fun cuz theyre kinda chubby

@RainbowArcanine Welcome to the Club! And thats a very cute choice in stunky. :]

@AlexOzzyCake Urr I cant post any of my art, mainly because all of the good ones i've done are lost forever since a few years ago T-T. I could do some more if you'd like.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Hi Rainbow Arcane! I find it interesting you picked Stunky more for aesthetic reasons, or because skunks are your favorite animal, moreso than what they do for you in the games. That's a lot like why I like Nidos (I like rabbits, and every other rabbit-esque Pokemon up until Buneary didn't really cut it. It's the same reason I think Rattata's a better mouse/rat than Pikachu).

I'd have to disagree with you, though, on "skunks not being all that pretty". Well, I guess pretty isn't the best word to describe a lot of animals that aren't colorful birds or fish, but skunks do have a cuteness to them, sort of like hedgehogs do. As far as not so cute furry mammals go, possums are a pretty good example, and are sort of unnerving.

I also remember Stunky, despite never getting formally aquainted with the 4th generation of Pokemon. I was never quite sure why they went with an angry Garfield design for a face, but it does play up a nice cartoonish angle.

CourageHound said:
I....dont think i'll ever have a burnout like that

I didn't either, but here we are. But the thing is, some people move on from a series, and some can stick with it for a long period of time. Sonic, for example, had it's ups, and has a whole lot of downs, but I'll still buy the decent games (I won't buy every game, though. I'm not THAT dedicated), because Sonic the Hedgehog (the first game) had a major impact on how I think about video games. It's probably why I'm in school for Game Production now. Mega Man and Kirby are also two series I'll stick to, even if recent Kirby outings don't exactly fill me with glee.

But, it's no different than people who grew up playing Mario just not having an interest in the games anymore, but the respect is still there. That's me with Pokemon.

CourageHound said:
Naw, its ok go ahead! I live for that kinda stuff ;)

Heh, maybe later. I've contributed more than enough text to this page. I think we should let someone else get a word in. :)

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Aww thanks <3! Hmm yeah, I generally choose my partners off of animals I love and admire in real life, rather than there capabilities in fighting. But even if I do make that sort of decision, I still would say Stunky is a great battler with sneaky moves your opponent would never except. I guess skunks are adorable in real life :D, but all of those cartoons I've seen ages ago, had some skunks in a few episodes that looked dodgy and ugly.

Hiya PBG :3. Welcome to the club x), nice choice of a partner :D. I always loved Croagunk, mainly for the fact of how it jabbed Brock in his hip, everytime he fell in love with a lady or one of the several Nurse Joys. How about you, why do you like it :3?

Basically answer the current topic means you post your thoughts and opinions on the discussion given to you. For example let's say someone makes the current topic. "Post what is your favourite Pokemon and why."

You would say what your favourite Pokemon is in your post, give some reasons and that's all to it really ;). Sorry I'm not the best at explaining, so if you still need clarification feel free to ask!

Also I found some great little pictures while I was browsing around, so I might as well answer the current topic ;):Post your favourite pieces of Poison-Pokémon fan art and explain what makes them special!

I own none of these, all of them belong to their rightful creators :3.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

These are all special in their own little ways, with either a hidden joke, great detail, or the way I like how the creators have painted them :3. Their all great fanart pictures, I could honestly probably never draw anywhere near this ;_;.

Years
Post your favourite pieces of Poison-Pokémon fan art and explain what makes them special!

After some searching on DeviantArt, I finally found some good ones!

Spoiler:

I love the entire Roselia evolution line, especially Roserade. This is one of my fave pictures featuring the three of them together!

Spoiler:

Even though its evolved form is among my most hated Pokemon, I still think Trubbish is one of the cutest Poison-types to ever exist, especially after I saw its personality in the anime. This fanart has nice coloring.

Spoiler:

Stunky has to be one of my fave Poison-types ever, cos it looks pretty adorable and I love how its got a very good defensive typing, which only carries a single weakness to Ground. Not to mention I tried one out myself in D/P/Pt and it actually did a good job on my team. This art is so cute!

CourageHound

Years
Post your favourite pieces of Poison-Pokémon fan art and explain what makes them special!

Spoiler:

Stunky has to be one of my fave Poison-types ever, cos it looks pretty adorable and I love how its got a very good defensive typing, which only carries a single weakness to Ground. Not to mention I tried one out myself in D/P/Pt and it actually did a good job on my team. This art is so cute!

Ahhh that stunky is so adorable!! So furry and purple!

Agree that dark poison is a very good typing. I wonder what other poison types with that typing in the future will be like

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Could I guess why you don't like Nidorina?
  • Useless in terms of stats? Aren't most Pokemon?
  • Useless in terms of moveset? She isn't tied down to her standard moves, and over the years they've gotten a little better. But egg breeding and such wouldn't be worth it if the first reason is a barrier.
I should point out that the current artwork Sugimori has produced of the Pokemon is sort of a fusion/compromise of his art and the anime's, which in a way actually borked up Nidoran Female and Nidoking (Nido F has less of an animal's anatomy now, and Nidoking looks a LOT less menacing) to a degree. But it really streamlined a lot of others. Fortunately, Nidorina's still based moreso on his original design, but she's less fat and a little less maternal in appearance.
I don't mind Nidorina's stats and honestly I'm not fussed about her moveset either, I don't really look for those things in Pokémon for why I like them. The design/concept if the only thing leading me to dislike Nidorina since to me it looks... Kind of incomplete? It looks pretty cartoony to me and I'm just not a huge fan of it haha. But everyone has different tastes n.n I must admit though, I never knew the whole Sugimori thing - it is making me see it in a slightly different light but I'm still not convinced. xD I'll Google some art over the Christmas period and see if I can't change that opinion though. :D

Name: Rainbow Arcanine
Partner Pokemon: Axel the Stunky
Answer the Current Topic:
Sorry I couldn't find much fanart I liked ;___;, so I'm just going to go back to a previous topic.

STUNKY <333! Honestly, there isn't enough adjectives ,feelings or screams to describe this little creature. It doesn't receive too much love unfortunately ;_____; , but in my heart it will always be a special little thing. In real life, it would be based off a skunk I'm assuming :3? Skunks have an amazing defence system with when they feel threatened or attacked, they'll stick up their rear and spray out a revolting, unbearable gas, that would easily scare away any creature. I have to admit, skunks aren't all that pretty D:, but they have a unique way of protecting themselves and I've admired them since I was in preschool x).

When I first saw Stunky, it was honestly love at first sight. I had all these flashbacks of pictures of real-life and cartoon skunks, then screamed at my Diamond and caught it. It was a great unique battler too with sneaky moves like Night Slash and Sucker Punch. Amazing little dude :3. I don't like Skuntank as much honestly, since I prefer first-stage evolutions as all of them look adorable :). It's face sort of disturbed me at first, as it sort of looked like an angry cat but over time I got used to it and started loving the design. And that began my year's worth of random sketches of all these adorable Stunkys, just lying down, eating berries and what not x), I used to mess around a lot and laugh endlessly how messy my drawings were, but it sure was a ton of fun :3.

Stunky had a little bit of competition with my second favourite Gulpin, but it overcame that and claimed the cake :3.
Welcome welcome welcome! <3 I've already welcomes you on the battle chatroom but here it is again! Welcome to the club, I hope you have a wonderful time here. I completely adore Stunky too so you're not alone on this, it's such an adorable Pokémon and it's really unique too, especially with it's quirky typing and somewhat diverse move pool - it can use pretty much any strategy you could think of haha. So what made you choose him over Gulpin? I must say, Gulpin is one of my all-time favourites so I do rather love them both! Hope you have fun here c:

i would like to join :)
Name: PBG
Partner poke: Frogger the croagunk
i don't get what the 3rd thing is sorry :(
Hiya, welcome to the club! Hope you have a wonderful time here c: Croagunk is a great choice of partner and honestly one which I expected to come up a lot more often! So what made you choose it over all the other Poison types? And what's your favourite Poison type? c:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Ahh that Trubbish picture is so cute! And the Grimer too ahh, I'm loving these pictures. It's a shame that I'm a fangirl and Google these all-day-long so I've seen them all already haha.

Ahhh that stunky is so adorable!! So furry and purple!

Agree that dark poison is a very good typing. I wonder what other poison types with that typing in the future will be like
I'm hoping for a Dark/Poison Pokémon with the ability Levitate, how cool would that be for a Poison type to have no weaknesses? :3 Although I reckon Poison/Ice would be cool to see too, it'd lead to some very interesting Pokémon. :D

So, time for a new question! Which generation do you guys think introduced the most interesting new Poison types as a whole?

I think the first generation is a little biased with the huge amount of Poison types that were introduced with it, but I'm going to have to go with generation four! Pokémon like Stunky, Roserade, Skorupi, Croagunk - they're all just such cool Pokémon. There's honestly not a single Poison type in Gen IV that I don't like and the majority of them are all incredibly unique from other Poison types; plus 3/4 are amazing in battle!

Anywho I had to make this post relatively short since I've got a meeting with my grandparents in 5 minutes and this is my last chance to post before Christmas, so just want to wish everyone a merry Christmas! Hope you all have a wonderful holiday and get loads of cool Poison Pokémon gifts! :D <3

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I don't mind Nidorina's stats and honestly I'm not fussed about her moveset either, I don't really look for those things in Pokémon for why I like them. The design/concept if the only thing leading me to dislike Nidorina since to me it looks... Kind of incomplete? It looks pretty cartoony to me and I'm just not a huge fan of it haha. But everyone has different tastes n.n I must admit though, I never knew the whole Sugimori thing - it is making me see it in a slightly different light but I'm still not convinced. xD I'll Google some art over the Christmas period and see if I can't change that opinion though. :D

I think I hear what you're saying. Honestly, facts wouldn't really be enough for me to think too much differently, either, even if there was some things I never realized. I probably should've went about it like this:

What do you like? That is to say, what interests you, creatively, about Pokemon?

Often times, what gets me intrested in a certain Pokemon is how it's utilized creatively. I like characterization. People can draw fan art all day long but if the Pokemon in question is never shown as anything more than some animal living in a forest, I'll never see it as anything more than that. I need something I can sink my teeth into, as it were. And if it makes me laugh, that's even better.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I think I hear what you're saying. Honestly, facts wouldn't really be enough for me to think too much differently, either, even if there was some things I never realized. I probably should've went about it like this:

What do you like? That is to say, what interests you, creatively, about Pokemon?

Often times, what gets me interested in a certain Pokemon is how it's utilized creatively. I like characterization. People can draw fan art all day long but if the Pokemon in question is never shown as anything more than some animal living in a forest, I'll never see it as anything more than that. I need something I can sink my teeth into, as it were. And if it makes me laugh, that's even better.
I only tend to really get into the Pokémon which are completely unique to the others; things like Grimer, Foongus, Koffing, Gulpin - they all appeal to me because their concepts and designs are so unlike anything else and this makes them incredibly interesting Pokémon to use and explore. Something like a Nidorina however, that's juts your basic everyday beast-like Pokémon which (in my opinion!) hasn't really got anything that unique or special about it. The only thing I'd really consider a 'unique' feature of Nidorina is the whole male/female split in their family, but as a result of the split there's now two evolution lines which share that trait and honestly it just doesn't feel unique any more. Something like Ralts pulls it off well because that's only a final stage evolution depending on gender and the evolutions are very interesting, but Nidorina/Nidorino... they just don't do it for me haha. I guess I haven't really looked into them enough yet to discover whether they do in fact have some very unique features about them though, so I will experiment with them when I get a chance!

What does everyone else think about these Pokémon families? c:

CourageHound

Years
What does everyone else think about these Pokémon families? c:

If you are referring to the Nido's, yes I think of them as unique. As a species of pokemon, how they are built, their behavoir, where they reside, and how their species has a male and female variant makes them unique. Not necessarily stats or move pool or anything like that.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
They're unique in the sense that they're not the only living species on the planet. :P That's the easy answer, really I'd say the only thing that makes them truly unique is that they're the only other Pokemon aside from Volbeat and Illumise to have a true male and female split. The rest of the Pokemon don't really count in that they look exactly the same (smaller whiskers/tail/Wobbuffet lips or not). You'll never get a Nidoqueen that looks like a Nidoking, and vice versa, same for all the others. Also, they have the second largest family. It used to be the largest in the 1st generation, and then tied in the 2nd. They're going to keep capitalizing on Eevee's popularity, though, so who knows how many evolutions it'll get.

Even Ralts isn't too special considering you can still get a Male Gardevoir. Same goes for Snorunt.

Statwise and moveset though, yeah. Nothing.

Also, I do agree with the idea of liking strange creatures over the more generic (or actual) animals. Personally I prefer video games like this, it's why I'd play Kirby over somthing like Donkey Kong Country (gameplay values aside). I get bored drawing common animals as well. There's no denying the Nidos are either very animal like (Nidoran M/F, Nidorino sorta) or beast like. In fact Nidorino and Nidoking are very much kaiju-esque to the point of possible intention considering that they look to be inspired by baragon. Nidorino is one of the earliest Capsule Monsters, afterall (aha, THERE'S another unique quality. Nidorino's one of the grandfathers of the series).

I think for me, though, the reason I like Nidos (and to that degree, Vulpix) over plain old rabbits and rhinos (and foxes) is because they're just different enough to not be a garden variety animal, but not so out there that you can't really make heads or tails of it (and in Vulpix's case, it's the cutest fox character I've ever seen. There may be others I haven't been acquianted with, but the only other fox character I like is classic Tails). Nidos are essentially chimeras, because they have a lot of different characterstics of lizards/dragons and mammals. That also keeps them from being a played straight rabbit like Buneary (even though Nidoran is ironically more played straight anatomically). I've actually talked about this for pages before, I'll admit I don't really feel like going over it again, so I'm gonna stop cuz the lazies are getting the better of me.

So anyway, what you like are the weird, unidentifiable creatures the most (and Sandshrew). I can't exactly help you there. I still think overall, though, personality is what makes the difference in appeal. That applies to all living things. I'm not much of a dog or cat person, but even I'll admit I like the videos or picture of the more playful and curious ones. I'm sure even the most admant anti-cat/dog person has seen something or had a personal experience with a particular cat/dog and said "okay, THAT was funny". But the ones that are ordinary or lazy won't win anyone over unless they have an affinity for the animal to begin with. Same could be said about a very weird looking animal at a zoo. It's so cool and unique looking, but if all it does is sleep, most people are gonna be like "ok... what else does it do?" So, again, it's appeal is limited to those who have an affinity for it, or those who just like the bizarre for the sake of being bizarre.

Same can even be said for humans. How often does anybody really ever take notice of everyone in a crowd? Unless there's a spark of attraction ("Oh, s/he looks cute") or some unfortunate deformity (or you're on a bus bored out of your mind or are drawing people for practice :P), you'll just scan past and ignore everyone. The only ones who'll stand out are the ones you got to know for their personality (or you had to be in the same vicinity with them for a long time, or have an interesting face to draw 9v9).

That's really all I got. I can't really see Pokemon as just creatures at face value, because if I do, I'll ignore them all, Nidos included. It's a point of view I understand, but just can't have myself, even if I forced it. Koffing's extraordinary, no contesting that, but what has the most basic one done to make me care? I've been weaned on cartoons, comics and graphic novels like Bone all my life, so I sort of need a draw. That may be the reason why I see things so differently. Without empathy, there's little more than shallow interest from my perspective.

That's probably why I love these.

(Why didn't I pack these comics with me? ;_;)

Edit: Holy friggin crap the filters are not kind to this dude. Have some tiny urls to get around it. Also, careful with that last one. It's a sight gag, but yeah.

Last edited:

CourageHound

Years
Spoiler:

Those comics wer hilarious xD. But yea I think I see what your saying. Like when it comes my preferences in pokemon, it really falls down to design(and sometimes its dex entries) and whether or not I would have some sort of natural affinity for them.
Heres My list of some of the pokemon I like most:
Spoiler:

I Like alot of pokemon people are indifferent to and others that people seem to flock torwards. None of them I like solely for battling prowess so let me just toss that out the window right now. Rather I like them for being the creatures they are and what they do. I try to imagine all the funny, exciting, and often weird adventures I would have with the pokemon I like. Those would be either (usually large....cuz I like big animals)animal like pokemon that I simply cant resist, due to anime presentation or that I naturally like the animal. And more often than not it would be that weirdness or uniqueness factor that attracts me. Like say Lickilicky and Muk for example? I know some people that would (unfortunately) like these two pokes gone. However I would find a happy-go-lucky pink tubbie with a ginormous tongue, and a friendly pile of gelatinous mass to be quite the adventure.

The other, not-so-outlandish pokemon I like are directly related to animals I like such as Bears, Dinos, Dragons, Frogs, Pigs, Giant bats that hug your face, etc. Oh yea I like hugz as well, so pokemon that give giant hugs get bonus points. I like my favorite pokemon and pokemon in general cuz it gives me the reality of all the animals I would like to encounter and experience (but in the real world, saying you'd like to befriend a dragon, a wild bear, boar, or some kind of lion would get you very strange looks) but with that hint of fantasy that its ok to go out and find that its completely OK to go out and find and make friends with those wild animals that basically become companions for life and help you conquer your regional pokemon league or whatever.

I usually find poison types to often by in my range or criteria of liking. Their battle style is pretty sick too. Most everything about most poison types are pretty unique. Whether you'd like to dig deep or not you'd most likely find something that sets them apart from most other pokemon. Like if someone would say, "Whats so unique about Rhydon and Nidoking. They both look like eachother?". Well yess they have a somewhat similar build but what sets Nido apart is its entire biology and evolutionary line being split into a male and female counterpart, as well as (Like dbp said) being somewhat mixed of the different properties of other animals. If you'd like to go into battling, you could say nido has a very wide special movepool for a ground type and also boasts sheer force as a dream world abillity of which can be combine with life orb to make use of the 0 recoil glitch(or is that intentional...idk?).

My point is, your perception of a pokemon come from personal experience and well as how open minded you are. I was looking in the "If you could delete ONE Pokemon from Unova" thread and found some of people's answer's to be shocking. Like one said Druddigon because its ugly and is the weakest dragon or Stunfisk cuz its derpy and theres no point to it. I think the "point" would not to engineer every single pokemon for battling but rather solely build upon the population of pokemon. Thats like some guy saying, "Whats the point of pets in our lives if we cant eat them?". Not every pokemon was made for battling, but rather to merely fill the dex with another new creature. So, in retrospect, I think all pokemon are unique as different creatures.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Yeah, I'd say you got that right (some Pokemon DO look derpy, though, like Qwilfish and even Psyduck and yet most people (myself included) like it anyway). I think all Pokemon have potential, and there's pretty much one for everybody. Potential in the sense that they could fit different needs. I'm not talking pure battle potential. That's just pigeonholing Pokemon into being fighters (or kok* fighters if you're jaded). Pokemon like Chansey seem to exist for nuturing, and some seem to exist to bring happiness. Though, they can all do that for somebody.

Speaking of Psyduck, personality, again, for me doesn't have to come from comics, though. The anime helps there too. There's a reason why most people remember Psyduck or Squirtle. Can you imagine if Ash's Squirtle just sat around going "Squirtle Squirt." all day long but little else? Unless you liked Squirtle anyway, it'd become about as memorable as his Cyndaquil, which I honestly forgot he had... to the point that I'm not even sure he really did have one.

Even Ash's Pikachu has his quirks, but also tends to play as a straight man to Ash's sometimes bizarreness (this was more early on, I dunno if Pikachu still does this or if Ash still acts like a dope). I think you all got what I'm saying, though.

I think the idea of huggable Pokemon is fun, actually, though I'm the type who says any Pokemon can be that, even if it's not a good idea ("oh Graveler, you're so coarse and hurty ¦< "). I'd love to hug a Nidoran even though I'm pretty sure it's a terrible idea. Muk would probably be a better option given the choice. That friends point is important too. You can be friends with your pet, especially dogs it seems (maybe some other exotics, though monkeys have proven unpredictable), but you can really be friends more on a human level with a Pokemon, language and initial perspective barriers aside. In that sense, finding reasons to like a Pokemon stops being all that important. Just like in real life, some shallow person asks "why are you friends with him/her?", and all you can really answer is "because I've gotten to know him/her, and it turns out, s/he's a really great person".

So yeah, if Pokemon existed in real life (and had existed since the beginning of time, mind), I think we'd find that the reason we like Pokemon would be less because of the way they look or who they are, and more because of the kind of companionship they provide. :) I'd still go out of my way to get some Nidoran, that's a fact.

Alas, they don't, so everything's a lot more subjective and based on why we like anything at all.

Yeah, enough talk. I don't have Muk comics, but here's some Grimer ones I scanned.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

*Blame the filter. You know what I mean. It's a real word oh my god why does this forum seem to blast every example I try to set?

CourageHound

Years
Yeah, enough talk. I don't have Muk comics, but here's some Grimer ones I scanned.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

*Blame the filter. You know what I mean. It's a real word oh my god why does this forum seem to blast every example I try to set?

The comics of grimer were so cute <3..yet weird....IT FITS!! :D

I noticed you don't have any user-bars, so I knocked a few up.
Keep on sludging, my venomous friends.
<3
Spoiler:

Aaww thanks those are awesome! Muk gives 'em a nice touch :cool:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Thank you for the userbars Somniac, they're wonderful! Added them to the first post :)

So there's a 'huge announcement' coming up for the Pokémon franchise tomorrow and there's a lot of speculation that it'll be the revealing of a new generation of Pokemon - if this is infact true then that means there'll be a lot of new Poison types coming our way! So in preparation for this possibility, what kind of Poison types would you guys like to see introduced in a new generation? Do you think current Poison types are lacking in any way that should be rectified in Gen VI? Are there any specific designs you're waiting to see? Go nuts and come up with the best ideas possible! c:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I'm going to give the blandest, most obvious "you would say that" answer ever, and hope facetiously state that the announcement is a side game that uses some kind of Nido (preferrably not the royals) as a main player protagonist. Just once, just one bloody time, that's all I ask. Eevee gets to be a choice in PMD, it's time to get the second largest family up in this.

But, you know, Japan.

Otherwise I'm not interested unless the announcement is about a game that has a huge art style shift just for the sake of being artsy. Either thing would get me to buy the latest Nintendo systems. In fact, combine both for extra win.

I'll let you guys come up with much more reasonable ideas for the rest of the poison troupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back