• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2012
What are the beginning of hacking? Is there a certain thread I should be in? And can I hack DesMuMe 0.9.8x86 itself? Like, earlier I asked about WiFi stuff. I guess 9.8 can't connect? Is there a way to hack that?

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Would this be a sufficient "tutorial" on adding new map names? I'm planning on adding at least Hoenn into it.

I also wasn't aware of how much free space was in the game, so that's helpful, thanks. Though, is there a "risk" on expanding the ROM?

That tutorial seems fine...EXCEPT for the fact it isn't finished :P The section on repointing and limiting bytes hasn't been done yet, so you won't be able to actually use the names.

I've heard from the people here that there is no danger at all to expanding a ROM. If anyone had a bad experience with it, I hope they share it with us, otherwise, it's fine. But only expand as a last resort!

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
That tutorial seems fine...EXCEPT for the fact it isn't finished :P The section on repointing and limiting bytes hasn't been done yet, so you won't be able to actually use the names.

I've heard from the people here that there is no danger at all to expanding a ROM. If anyone had a bad experience with it, I hope they share it with us, otherwise, it's fine. But only expand as a last resort!

Oh, haha, I didn't notice that. So there's currently no way to increase the number of names? Oh well.

How would one go about with expanding, by the way?

redriders180

Years
Do you mean just type the new offset on top of the same spot as the old one? Because when I do that the game will crash. Sorry, I've never hex edited before.

If your game crashes when you replace a single pointer to an image, then you've either done something wrong, or your ROM is bad. "Repointing" is when you find all the pointers to one image and replace them, by typing over them, thereby telling the game to load a new image, instead of one of the original images. EVERY ROM hacker has to do this at one point or another.

In any case, the offsets of all the intro images are as follows:
460F14 - Girl
46163C - Boy
461D14 - Oak
4623EC - Gary
And none of these match the offset you gave previously, which means you repointed the wrong image. Try one of these and see if anything happens.

What are the beginning of hacking? Is there a certain thread I should be in? And can I hack DesMuMe 0.9.8x86 itself? Like, earlier I asked about WiFi stuff. I guess 9.8 can't connect? Is there a way to hack that?
If you want to know about ROM Hacking, you're in the right section of Pokecommunity. It's here that we ask about hacking ROMs themselves, but there's sections for tutorials, tools, and research.

In regards to your earlier question, it's my understanding that emulators cannot emulate Wi-Fi connections, because they aren't on a real system. If you absolutely need to connect to Wi-Fi, try purchasing an Acekard or R4 Flash Card. It'll let you load ROMs onto a Micro SD Card, and play them on a DS. They're roughly 25 dollars. I won't link to one here, but googling should help.

Oh, haha, I didn't notice that. So there's currently no way to increase the number of names? Oh well.

How would one go about with expanding, by the way?

I recommend reading the post linked to in that tutorial. It details how to either add more names to the end of the name list, preserving RS Names, or replace and use the RS names. Your choice!

To expand, open up XSE, load up your ROM, and hit Ctrl+R. Then hit that nice big "Expand" Button, and you're all set :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
If your game crashes when you replace a single pointer to an image, then you've either done something wrong, or your ROM is bad. "Repointing" is when you find all the pointers to one image and replace them, by typing over them, thereby telling the game to load a new image, instead of one of the original images. EVERY ROM hacker has to do this at one point or another.

In any case, the offsets of all the intro images are as follows:
460F14 - Girl
46163C - Boy
461D14 - Oak
4623EC - Gary
And none of these match the offset you gave previously, which means you repointed the wrong image. Try one of these and see if anything happens.

Well I tried to see if the rom is bad, and when I used my earlier copy that I hadn't scripted, it didn't work.

But when I tried a clean rom, it worked.

The thing is only thing I had done to earlier copy, was edit the dialog with A-text. A-text messed up my rom, bwuh? I guess I'll stick to XSE.

Thank you so much.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Hi everyone, I've got an ASM-related question I hope someone can help me with. Does anyone have any info on a routine that might be used for displaying text? I want to make a small cutscene with ASM, but I need a textbox to appear at the end, and say some text.

Secondly, does anyone know of a routine that loads the tiles of the current map into the VRAM? After running the cutscene, the tiles stay permanently in the VRAM, and I need the tiles to revert back to normal, so the player can continue playing.

Thirdly, does anyone know how to run scripts from an ASM routine? We have callasm to run ASM from a script, but I can't fathom how to start up the script engine and run a script.

I hope someone can answer these...I feel like ASM definately doesn't fall under the classification of a "Simple" question, but I'd rather post here than muck up the Quick R&D thread.
For FireRed? If so, I can almost definitely help!

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2012
Hopefully this is a quick question, but I can't find the answer.

I think I'm almost ready to show my progressing hack, only I don't know how to turn my hacked ROM into a Patch. Are their any guides or tools hidden somewhere?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Hopefully this is a quick question, but I can't find the answer.

I think I'm almost ready to show my progressing hack, only I don't know how to turn my hacked ROM into a Patch. Are their any guides or tools hidden somewhere?

Download LUNAR IPS, search by using google and once you download it just open it and click create IPS patch then select your ROM and that's it! :D

Hope this help! :D

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
I having a question...

1) If I use Showpokepic command at XSE, when I test at game It show pokemon sprite and has cry sound when pokepics is appeared, how do I make it when show pokepic but no cry sound effect?

2) I played a hacked rom called "Pokemon Mirage" it Rom base is Ruby I think. At the game started, after the intro, it appeared many full screen sprite to say its story ( In the game, its Arcues and the fakemon at the sprite ), can I make it too? At FR rom also can do it?

Last edited:

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
I have a question about adding more OW sprites to Emerald. I've been translating tutorials for Fire Red into Emerald and have almost got it done. I found the pointer to the sprite table at offset 0x08E6D8, and re pointed to a new sprite pointer table. But I'm having trouble getting more than 239 sprites show up in A-Map and in game even though I add more pointers to new sprite data at the end of my new table. Everything after the Ho-Oh sprite doesn't show up.

Ho-Oh is OW sprite 238 then after that there are 7 sprites of a guy with different palettes that are used in Littleroot Town as fillers for the character who's gender you didn't choose. After those 7 sprites it just shows to Male Hero sprite up to 255.

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
When I use YAPE, it shows a maximum number of moves that can be assigned across all pokemon. Is there any way to make that number bigger, to allow for the insertion of new pokemon?

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
When I use YAPE, it shows a maximum number of moves that can be assigned across all pokemon. Is there any way to make that number bigger, to allow for the insertion of new pokemon?

WesleyFG has created a tutorial on how to do this here.

Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2014
I have a question regarding rom savestate editing.

For the first time a long while, I started a new game with my Pokémon Blue ROM. I played through Vermilion City, got bored and just for fun I dusted out an old savestate editor called Pokémon US Editor and changed the stats a bit. I never ever had any problems with this program in the past. Yet, now it corrupts all my savegames without fail. I use Visual Boy Advance, just like I have in the past.

Does anyone have an idea about what the problem might be? I've been googling with no luck.

dr4g0n12(2)

INSURRECTION!!!!!
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2014
Yes. Most fully evolved pokemon learn certain moves more than one time. Delete the moves that they learn twice. It will not decrease their movepool at all. This will increase the amount of moves that can be assigned.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
Region Map Help

Does anybody know why the tiles that contain water tiles keep appearing like that? I am following MikeMatt15 tutorial where I assign those tiles those colors, but it does not appear as its normal palettes like the others in game.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
I Was wondering if there was anyway to import a whole new tileset, instead of editing an existing one by template. I wanted to use completely different tileset and it would be a pain to have to edit the tileset one by one by pallet.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
How would I change what world map a location appears on, and where a location is, in Firered?

redriders180

Years
How would I change what world map a location appears on, and where a location is, in Firered?

Click me!

I Was wondering if there was anyway to import a whole new tileset, instead of editing an existing one by template. I wanted to use completely different tileset and it would be a pain to have to edit the tileset one by one by pallet.

Well, if you think about it, you'll be replacing tiles one by one no matter what you do. If you want, just clear out the entire Tileset, and begin from scratch that way. You don't have to use the existing Tileset as a template either. You can also make the amount of tiles you can use larger in A-Map 1.95.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back