• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Gold # More/Less" crashes my game/the maker?!

Years
I don't know if this is a "coding" or an "essentials" question.

Huge edit: I was able to narrow it all the way down to a single specific thing. Every event that crashed the maker had this code and I have no idea what is it about it that's crashing the stupid thing. This is frustrating to me since there's a lot of events going on where you have to pay for them, but you don't actually buy anything.

Another important edit: Since this is specific to the maker, I'm asking on Steam as well.

This is the specific thing I'm talking about, by the way. It will crash if I try to input anything.
i_can_t_make_my_game_if_I_can_t_do_events.png

And there's no crash file. This is the only thing that happens when it crashes:
Spoiler:

Is there at least a way around this? I just need a way to buy certain events, but I need it to deny you if you don't have enough. ("Change gold" won't do this. It will take or give you money, but it won't deny you if you don't have the money. You could have nothing and it will still let you do the event as long as you say "yes" to it.)

Edit: I just tried to see if I could at least change the price of coins, and it crashed AGAIN. I would copy the script for buying coins but it crashes when I just go into the event, and I can't find a copy of the script online.
I can still buy coins in game without it crashing though. That's one thing the main problem won't do.

If it helps, my laptop did force an update on me about a week ago. (Windows 10)

Last edited:
Years
Weird issue. Never had one like this before. Could you test this in a clean project? Try to make a few events to see if the issue persists.
If not, is probably some error with your project inside essentials. Then would be better if you tell us what kind of scripts (or any type of modification) you added.

I don't know anything about scripting, but I'm sure someone can help you with this kind of information.

Years
Weird issue. Never had one like this before. Could you test this in a clean project? Try to make a few events to see if the issue persists.
If not, is probably some error with your project inside essentials. Then would be better if you tell us what kind of scripts (or any type of modification) you added.

I don't know anything about scripting, but I'm sure someone can help you with this kind of information.

The same problem happened when I tried the gold thing I mentioned before on a completely empty project.
Ugh. Is it a problem with my computer then? I have no idea how to fix it if so...

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 19, 2023
Sorry if my suggestion seemed stupid but it doesn't look like an issue caused by Essentials but rather a RMXP one.
If it occurs in an empty project then it may be specific to your computer or a default of your RMXP version. Do you have the Steam version?

Years
Found these links:

It's not the same problem, but involves crashing.
Also, did you try running in compatibility mode? (don't know if exist something like that in win10)

I tried updating the RTP, and tried to run it in compatibility mode, but none of them worked, but since this seems to be a problem with the maker it's self I'm going to ask Steam. (For some reason I can't get on the forums of the official website.)

Years
I really don't have any idea what could be caused that.
When sending a ticket to Steam, state everything you tried to fix this issue. This is just to avoid them sugesting the same things that you already tried.

wraith89

Pollo prima dell'uovo
Years
Okay, so I tried a roundabout way on solving her problem here, as the thread got my attention on Steam. It involves using the Script radio button instead, but I think Pokemon Essentials redefined a lot of the methods that the usual $game_party.gold >= would not work. Does anyone know the redefined method, as I myself cannot get Essentials to work to even check on the RGSS modifications/additions on the core scripts?

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think Pokemon Essentials handles the Gold conditional branch differently, am I right? Would it not work even if you used the Gold Conditional Branch as in a regular RMXP game?

Last edited:

wraith89

Pollo prima dell'uovo
Years
All right then. I would not have known because I cannot really run Essentials. I am just opening this through a Script viewer to see what kind of methods actually define it, as the $game.party function is no longer the method. It seems to return as "undefined method". If anyone knows an alternative way of checking gold via Script, it would be nice. Otherwise the OP would have to find another way.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Normally Essentials (at least for v16.2), command_111, Conditional branch, is supposed to do this check:
Code:
    when 7
      if @parameters[2] == 0
        result = $Trainer && ($Trainer.money >= @parameters[1])
      else
      end
I don't know why your events are crashing, but you should try doing the check manually, using the script condition.
Code:
$Trainer && $Trainer.money>= amount

EDIT: PC Butchered the code. & is an ampersand, and > and < are the greater and less than signs.

Last edited:

wraith89

Pollo prima dell'uovo
Years
Normally Essentials (at least for v16.2), command_111, Conditional branch, is supposed to do this check:
Code:
    when 7
      if @parameters[2] == 0
      else
      end
I don't know why your events are crashing, but you should try doing the check manually, using the script condition.
Code:
$Trainer && $Trainer.money<= amount

EDIT: PC Butchered the code. & is an ampersand, and > and < are the greater and less than signs.

All right, thank you. I hope the OP can read this, if she is active. Try using noparse tags in BBtags for those symbols to display. I tried before and it did the same thing. I realised this whole core script was rewritten altogether, so I had to ask. I know it is redundant for most of you guys since yours functions properly. I'll have to alert her on Steam then.

Last edited:
Years
Thanks everyone. I've been sick for the past few days, so much so that I couldn't do anything but rest for the last two.
Anyway, is that code supposed to be something like this?

Code:
when 7
      if @parameters[2] == 1
        result = $Trainer && 
($Trainer.money >= @parameters[1])
      else
        result = $Trainer && 
($Trainer.money >= @parameters[1])
      end

(Assuming that my computer doesn't mess up the code either.)

Back