• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Gen IV text encoding/lookup table

Years
I'm currently working on a tool to query the GTS, not sure if anyone's done one before. I can't post a link, unfortunately, as my post count is too low.

Anyway, I'm not having much luck determining the type of encoding used for text data such as pokemon nicknames and trainer names. I've rummaged around a few sites that cover the more technical side of things but still not found anything.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
err, projectpokemon has some very extensive work done on this, and i've skimmed through it. nowhere did i see anything about the text being encrypted...

Years
Not encryption, encoding. It's not standard ascii or unicode.

Anyways, I got a table from M@T on Project Pokémon so I thought I'd share it here.

Spoiler:

Game half-word = unicode half-word. =)

Back