• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Hardest Gym Leader?

mjb8910

mjb8910
Years
Misty as her Starmie is so OP at that point in the game. It has a high power STAB Bubblebeam and plus she uses an X Defend to turn it into a defensive tank.

Years
I really didn't find any gym leaders to be really hard, but Koga was a just a little annoying with his somewhat bulky Pokemon that could inflict poison and sleep.

Last edited:

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
Years
Sabrina was definitely the hardest to beat, especially in the originals rather than the remakes. Alakazam being so quick so it hits crits way more often, extremely high Special due to Atk and Def not being split make then makes sure it hits hard with Psychic and takes Special hits for days.

Other than Sabrina, Misty was probably next up due to that Starmie and its Bubblebeam as others above have mentioned. It can take some hits and deal it out aswell.
All other gym leaders are generally nice and easy.

Years
Brock in Pokemon Yellow. You have no choice of starter, you must use Pikachu. It's the worst situation you could be in as a trainer. Brock has a fully evolved Pokemon (at that time) who is completely immune to you, not resistant as with Charmander but immune. To make matters worse 99% of the Pokemon you've encountered are weak to Brock, it's a forest of flying and bug types. They had to actually change Nidoran's moveset by lowering the level it learned double kick from 43 down to 12, or else there would be no Pokemon anywhere who had a way to deal damage to Brock.

This slither of hope is assuming you already know how to play the game. In-game its your first gym battle, and the first encounter you have with a rock and ground types, yet it presupposes that you know there is poison type out there who would normally be weak to Brock as well, but has a special moveset in this instance that you can level grind to get. If this was your first pokemon game why would you know this?

Wouldn't be simpler to just give Pikachu a super-effective move? Its a special event Pikachu, give it the fighting type move. In the first season of the Anime Ash teaches Pikachu a punching move he invents called rocket punch. It could have been interesting to see that in-game.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Brock in Pokemon Yellow. You have no choice of starter, you must use Pikachu. It's the worst situation you could be in as a trainer. Brock has a fully evolved Pokemon (at that time) who is completely immune to you, not resistant as with Charmander but immune. To make matters worse 99% of the Pokemon you've encountered are weak to Brock, it's a forest of flying and bug types. They had to actually change Nidoran's moveset by lowering the level it learned double kick from 43 down to 12, or else there would be no Pokemon anywhere who had a way to deal damage to Brock.

This slither of hope is assuming you already know how to play the game. In-game its your first gym battle, and the first encounter you have with a rock and ground types, yet it presupposes that you know there is poison type out there who would normally be weak to Brock as well, but has a special moveset in this instance that you can level grind to get. If this was your first pokemon game why would you know this?

Wouldn't be simpler to just give Pikachu a super-effective move? Its a special event Pikachu, give it the fighting type move. In the first season of the Anime Ash teaches Pikachu a punching move he invents called rocket punch. It could have been interesting to see that in-game.

It's true they changed Nidoran(Male and Female) moveset to give a Fighting move at level 12 but they also changed Mankey's moveset as well. They gave it the ability to use Low Kick at level 9, hence the ideal Pokemon to use against Brock. I do agree with you though that if you're completely new to the game and don't realize that Brock is immune to your starter's Electric attacks and is heavily resistant to Normal and Flying Type moves that you'll struggle. However, there are three Pokemon that can beat Brock without fail: Mankey, Nidoran(Male or Female) and Butterfree if you take the time and care to raise it from a Caterpie.

Granted unless you have played before, you will be unaware of which Pokémon you will need for Brock, much less how much you need to train them. There is, of course, the Pidgey Sand Attack method of basically reducing their Accuracy to the point of them missing nearly all the time, allowing you to whittle them down slowly with Normal and Flying type moves(but again, if you're new, you wouldn't know to do that to give yourself a fighting chance).

In this regard, I have to agree with you 100%.

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 4, 2018
Misty, I think...

In solely my personal experience, I have only lost to Brock, Misty, and Surge...I consider Brock a beginner's trap, so eliminated him...Surge, while he was my original answer, kinda dies to the fact that you have Ground pokemon all over the place, and they shut Surge down much more effectively than Misty's weaknesses...

Like I said, my personal experience, so I know it's not the most reliable reason to say "Oh these are the only 3 that I lost to"...

Last edited:
Years
Misty, I think...

In solely my personal experience, I have only lost to Brock, Misty, and Surge...I consider Brock a beginner's trap, so eliminated him...Surge, while he was my original answer, kinda dies to the fact that you have Ground pokemon all over the place, and they shut Surge down much more effectively than Misty's weaknesses...

Like I said, my personal experience, so I know it's not the most reliable reason to say "Oh these are the only 3 that I lost to"...
Yeah! A lot of what you said is basically how it went down for me. As I chose Charmander, the first 2 gym leaders were the only real struggles. The battle with Brock for me was just done by chipping them down with Charmander and a Pidgey. Misty was also a tad hard, as Pikachu or Bellsprout (depending on the run) aren't very powerful on their own unless I level them up. Which starter did you end up choosing?

Last edited:

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 4, 2018
Yeah! A lot of what you said is basically how it went down for me. As I chose Charmander, the first 2 gym leaders were the only real struggles. The battle with Brock for me was just done by chipping them down with Charmander and a Pidgey. Misty was also a tad hard, as Pikachu or Bellsprout (depending on the run) aren't very powerful on their own unless I level them up. Which starter did you end up choosing?

Sorry for the late reply!...I was trying to not consider starters, as well, since they drastically affect the difficulty of specifically the first 2 gyms, and all the later gyms have varying degrees of difficulty, but I usually pick Charmander or Bulbasaur, they used to be tied for my favorite starters up until Gen. III introduced Treecko...

In regards to Sabrina, I totally understand the logic in why she's technically the most difficult, but I don't remember struggling very much with her in Gen. I...In fact, I remember aside from Erica (Who I always found to be the absolute easiest when you, once again, disregard Brock vs. Bulbasaur or Squirtle), the last four gyms were largely just routine runs...Idk why I've never had much difficulty with Sabrina, maybe the Snorlax would decimate her or something...

Last edited:
Back