• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] China to force online games with loot boxes to announce probability odds

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1323027&page=1

Source: NeoGaf

Passed today in China, new regulations are being imposed on online games with loot boxes where companies will now have to announce publicly the probabilities of what to get in them. Specifically, it states:

2.6 ...Online game publishers shall promptly publicly announce information about the name, property, content, quantity, and draw/forge probability of all virtual items and services that can be drawn/forge on the official website or a dedicated draw probability webpage of the game. The information on draw probability shall be true and effective.

2.7 Online game publishers shall publicly announce the random draw results by customers on notable places of official website or in game, and keep record for government inquiry. The record must be kept for more than 90 days. When publishing the random draw results, some measures should be taken place to protect user privacy.

Games affected most likely include Overwatch, Call of Duty, and (I'm assuming) Destiny.

How do y'all feel about this news and how do you think it may affect Westerners?

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
I have a feeling this is more geared towards *paid* loot boxes than say Destiny's Engrams which are found in the world.

I think if my interpretation is correct, that's a good thing and is only a positive to buyers. Even if it's with all game loot boxes, it's not hurting anything.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
I have a feeling this is more geared towards *paid* loot boxes than say Destiny's Engrams which are found in the world.

I think if my interpretation is correct, that's a good thing and is only a positive to buyers. Even if it's with all game loot boxes, it's not hurting anything.

When I mentioned Destiny, I wasn't referring to the engrams. Moreover, I was talking about Eververse and some of the events where you pay for "loot boxes" so to speak.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
yay, I wanna know why I didn't get the Orisa skin after 160 hours of grinding and 70+ loot boxes

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
When I mentioned Destiny, I wasn't referring to the engrams. Moreover, I was talking about Eververse and some of the events where you pay for "loot boxes" so to speak.

Oh ok! I was just espresso my opinion so please don't take any offense over anything I said! It wasn't meant to be rude!!

Eververse doesn't have anything worth getting anyways : )

Anyways, as I said whether it's just paid loot boxes or all rng loot in games, I'm fine with either being made publicly available. I can't see any negatives to people being able to see the numbers, other than maybe figuring out the most efficient way of farming loot, but those this dedicated would have figured this stuff out already anyways!/

If China is feeling really great maybe they can ban the practice of Microtransactions in games all together

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
I don't say this often, but thank you China. Keeping the RNG hidden from everyone is rather annoying. I can't wait to look at the numbers once we can get our hands on them.

The only real downside to this is the inevitable tsunami of bitching to come from the player base regarding the chances for good loot. Developers are probably going to get some heat once the percentages roll in (whether the drop chances are fair or not.)

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I dont mind the passage of this law... I think it will have some good benefits for gamers with addictive personalities or kids unwisely spending money without understanding the risks.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
I support more game mechanic-like information like these probability numbers being posted on the official websites, but the real question that I have always wondered is, why would anyone buy such loot boxes in the first place? :/

I mean, it's not likely that one will get that rare thing anyway, but then people proceed to get disappointed/mad when they don't receive that item, like, obviously.

Years
ive heard about this one facebook and i bought alot of lootboxes in attempts to get things for Tracer (her uprising skin), Mercy (i play her sometimes) and D.va though i wish they would either build a system to detect what you have and dont have already and or atleast up the amount u get for duplicates or even make a skin trading system like i would trade skins from other heroes i dont play as for the ones i do play as

Back