• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Advanced Series (GBA toolbox)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
also guys....
wouldn't turning the pokemon sprite editor into a trainer sprite editor be as easy as modding the ini?
I haven't actually looked at the ini, but still....
?
(goes to look, if my assumption is correct, i'll post a new INI in ROM hacking resources...)
*edit*
Okay...i found the table for the trainer sprites, but not the trainer class table, and also, the thought occured to me....
It would be kinda smart to make the program (sprite editor that is) ask the user if he/she wants to edit the trainer sprites/pokemon sprites, that way it can do both, and would make the code a little bit cleaner...course i don't know wut ur code looks like so yea...If i were you, i would just add 3 more lines to the ini, and the right interpretation.
the lines are:
trainerspritetable=0x--XX++
trainerclasstable=0x==YY**
trainerspritetotal=ZZZ
and that would really be all you had to do, except also be able to read uncompressed pics, because i tried using my modded .ini, and eh...wieell....it gave me that NOT COMPRESSED error. Which is why i suggested asking the user if he/she wants to edit pokemon/trainers after loading the ROM
Just a little bit 'o friendly, possibly pointless advice.

Well that sucks. Couldn't you just try to compress it or something. :/

Or couldn't you just try again; maybe you made just a little mistake. I'm a hacker not a tool maker, so I don't know. Maybe you could try asking Wichu or HackMew. * Shrugs*

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
also guys....
wouldn't turning the pokemon sprite editor into a trainer sprite editor be as easy as modding the ini?
I haven't actually looked at the ini, but still....
?
(goes to look, if my assumption is correct, i'll post a new INI in ROM hacking resources...)
*edit*
Okay...i found the table for the trainer sprites, but not the trainer class table, and also, the thought occured to me....
It would be kinda smart to make the program (sprite editor that is) ask the user if he/she wants to edit the trainer sprites/pokemon sprites, that way it can do both, and would make the code a little bit cleaner...course i don't know wut ur code looks like so yea...If i were you, i would just add 3 more lines to the ini, and the right interpretation.
the lines are:
trainerspritetable=0x--XX++
trainerclasstable=0x==YY**
trainerspritetotal=ZZZ
and that would really be all you had to do, except also be able to read uncompressed pics, because i tried using my modded .ini, and eh...wieell....it gave me that NOT COMPRESSED error. Which is why i suggested asking the user if he/she wants to edit pokemon/trainers after loading the ROM
Just a little bit 'o friendly, possibly pointless advice.
It's only designed to load Pokémon sprites. The trainer sprite table might use a different format to the Pokémon sprite table, which would give you the same error.

Well, since the demand is pretty high, I'll add a trainer sprite editor to my to-do list. So far, it would be:
Cry editor
Footprint editor
Trainer sprite editor
Easy script creator

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010
This sprite editor is by far the most useful thing I've downloaded since Advance Map.

Just one question though: Is there a way to overwrite the older sprites? I tried using the "Front Sprite Offset" that the program listed, but it wouldn't let me use it when writing to the ROM. And UNLZ.gba still shows the old sprite when you go to that index. I just don't wanna use up all my free space for sprites, lol.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
It's only designed to load Pokémon sprites. The trainer sprite table might use a different format to the Pokémon sprite table, which would give you the same error.

Well, since the demand is pretty high, I'll add a trainer sprite editor to my to-do list. So far, it would be:
Cry editor
Footprint editor
Trainer sprite editor
Easy script creator
Naww...i checked it myself
If i rememberzz correctly...they are both..
spriteptr, 4 bytes (maybe the pallette? i haven't checked...), spriteptr...
so yea...afaik they're the same, but i could be wrong

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Well, aside from all the other things you are GOING to add, the footprint editor already exists...
I SURE people didn't know that, since they are asking for one, but to save you the trouble, a great one already exists... though if you want the pointers to the data...

00D3058C is the pointer to the first footprint

Each Footprint is 32 Bytes long

Good Luck

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
This sprite editor is by far the most useful thing I've downloaded since Advance Map.

Just one question though: Is there a way to overwrite the older sprites? I tried using the "Front Sprite Offset" that the program listed, but it wouldn't let me use it when writing to the ROM. And UNLZ.gba still shows the old sprite when you go to that index. I just don't wanna use up all my free space for sprites, lol.

You could use the 'Set Write Offset' function; however, this won't guarantee that you don't overwrite other data, so it's not recommended. The sprite editor inserts both sprites and both palettes right after each other, making it harder to check whether there is enough free space to do so. I can implement this in the next version if you want.

Well, aside from all the other things you are GOING to add, the footprint editor already exists...
I SURE people didn't know that, since they are asking for one, but to save you the trouble, a great one already exists... though if you want the pointers to the data...

00D3058C is the pointer to the first footprint

Each Footprint is 32 Bytes long

Good Luck

I just searched it on Google. The only one I could find wasn't very good; it didn't allow you to import an image (you had to edit it pixel by pixel), had inbuilt offsets (i.e. it would be complicated to edit them if you repoint the footprints), and had no support for Emerald. I think a new footprint editor would be pretty useful. Thanks for the offset :)

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
You could use the 'Set Write Offset' function; however, this won't guarantee that you don't overwrite other data, so it's not recommended. The sprite editor inserts both sprites and both palettes right after each other, making it harder to check whether there is enough free space to do so. I can implement this in the next version if you want.

I just searched it on Google. The only one I could find wasn't very good; it didn't allow you to import an image (you had to edit it pixel by pixel), had inbuilt offsets (i.e. it would be complicated to edit them if you repoint the footprints), and had no support for Emerald. I think a new footprint editor would be pretty useful. Thanks for the offset :)

If you found the one by Mewthree Inc. then you got the one I have...
And of course you can't import an image, the images aren't really images, more like bit by bit... least in my theory... I tried editing it with a hex editor, bad idea, lol.
If you want to make one, go ahead, but it isn't exactly as important as some of the otehr stuff you have planned...

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010

That'd be a great function to add to it. I would definitely use it! It would be really helpful for anyone wishing to conserve space.

onyx79

Red Dead Revolver
Years
Cry editor
Footprint editor
Trainer sprite editor
Easy script creator
wow those 4 tools would be awesome!
can you explain how the easy script creator would work?,it's sound interesting

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
OMG! This is so wonderful!!! See you next time, UNLZ GBA ^^ Thank you, this tool is very useful!

I haven't any error for now.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
wow those 4 tools would be awesome!
can you explain how the easy script creator would work?,it's sound interesting

Have you ever used RPG Maker? Instead of having to type out all your script commands, you can just click a button, select the parameters, and it will do the rest for you... I've been asked to make something similar; it will basically turn button clicks into a script which you can then edit manually or compile with a script editor.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010
Have you ever used RPG Maker? Instead of having to type out all your script commands, you can just click a button, select the parameters, and it will do the rest for you... I've been asked to make something similar; it will basically turn button clicks into a script which you can then edit manually or compile with a script editor.

That sounds like one of the best things ever.

CrashmanX

Mechamon
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 22, 2016

POKEMON RPG MAKER GO!!!!

If only nintendo released a Pokemon RPG Maker type game....

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2024
Hi Wichu, thanks for the programs, just, I am getting an error message in the sprite editor whenever I go to save changes or write to rom.

Even if I don't import a new sprite, it will give me this error even if i just change the colours on the existing sprite.

PC said:
The error is Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click continue the application will ignore blah blah blah,

Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at Sprite_Editor.RomFunctions.ConvertStringToByteArray(String& str)
at Sprite_Editor.SpriteData.GetCompressedData(Int32 species)
at Sprite_Editor.Form1.WriteToROMButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I even tried some of the older versions and it gives me the same messages whenever I try to save.

Your other two work fine. I guess its a setting on my computer but I wouldn't know, maybe you do?

Thanks.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
POKEMON RPG MAKER GO!!!!

If only nintendo released a Pokemon RPG Maker type game....
It's possible to make Pokémon games in RPG Maker anyway :P
oh no !!!!!!! Errors :"> :">
It might help if you told me the error you're getting... Have you installed the Microsoft .NET framework?
Hi Wichu, thanks for the programs, just, I am getting an error message in the sprite editor whenever I go to save changes or write to rom.

Even if I don't import a new sprite, it will give me this error even if i just change the colours on the existing sprite.

I even tried some of the older versions and it gives me the same messages whenever I try to save.

Your other two work fine. I guess its a setting on my computer but I wouldn't know, maybe you do?

Thanks.
Hmm... If the other two work fine, it can't be just your computer. I'm guessing that there's a setting on it that's interfering with the tool, though... I'll attempt to find and fix this for the next release.

Years
Excellent, there's support for Emerald now! It was so worth the wait! (although it's probably been there for ages, I just haven't checked in a while). Anyway, kudos go to Wichu for this brilliant show of tool making:D. These are honestly the best sprite editing/replacement tools I've ever seen. I'm ecstatic that icon editing is now proper, kinda like Pokepic (but better, I think that only supported Ruby? It only ever worked on Ruby for me). And now I can finally switch my hack over to Emerald! MEGAW00T. Excellent!
Ok I'm rambling now. Thanks, Wichu :)

onyx79

Red Dead Revolver
Years
hmmm when you'll realese the trainer sprite editor?
since you've done a sprite editor for all the pokemon's trainer sprite editor will be very easy for you since there are like 30 trainer sprites(I don't really know)so it's not so much....

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
uh if this website is supposed to help hack pokemon games, where can I get a pokemon pearl map editor?
Try making your own Pearl Map Editor, because no one has ever suceeded making it. The closest one would be Mastermind_X who has the ability to display Pokemon D/P map models.

Back