• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In game team for Black E4: No start/legend/psuedo-legend or unique pokemon! XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2012
K so I decided to restart my Black version after being unsatisfied with the starter I picked, and then as I went on with the fire piggie I decided to go full run-of-the-mill pokemon on my team. I don't have movesets planned out yet and I am in the process of getting the right nature and ability combos for some of them. Going to get them to 50 for E4. All tips are welcome!

Keepers:

Galvantula: This is one of my favorites on my team. Got hasty nature and compoundeyes so he's good to go in that area. Current moveset is Electroweb, Electro Ball, Signal Beam, Sucker Punch. Got Signal Beam and Sucker Punch for type coverage but I'm not 100% sure on those.

Sawsbuck: This is a pokemon I've kind of entertained the thought of and decided to go for it. Has brave nature which I'm happy about but also has sap sipper which isn't so great if I decide to use him on a sun team later on. Don't have a moveset sorted out yet.

Scrafty: Has mild nature which I'm (-_-) about, don't really want to catch a new one >_<, but I like this one a lot for a sweeper, moxie is nice, and I like the type combination. Don't have a moveset sorted out yet.

Not Sures:

Lampent: I've heard good things about Lampent and it's next stage Chandelure and I needed a fire type and the ghost typing is nice too but I'm kind of un-fazed by this one. I think my issues with it are moveset based, as I haven't gotten a reliable fire attack for it yet. (Inferno is extremely unreliable but is nice with hex) It's current moves are Inferno, Embargo, Shadow Ball, Hex. Flamethrower is learned kind of late iirc which is what I was hoping to replace inferno with, but idk what to do with this pokemon...

Sigilyph: It's only really here because I need a psychic type or flying type for marshal and this is both... however I'm worried about his frequent use of stone edge. Don't have a moveset sorted out yet.

Carracosta: Well... this is another one I'm not sure about, I needed a good water type and a lot of the ones I was looking foward to aren't available pre-E4. (gated content in pokemon? D: Turtlemon also goes against my self imposed 'no unique pokemon' rule ) also have a seismitoad but I'm not a fan of him... I mean he has boobs on his head! May have to switch back to him though :/ Any other decent water types?

I also noticed this team is a little tipped towards being weak to fighting (aka marshal and his freight train of a conkledurr), and I'm looking for help with movesets/type balancing etc, and some suggestions as to what to do with the 'Not Sures'.

Last edited by a moderator:

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Galvantula: This is one of my favorites on my team. Got hasty nature and compoundeyes so he's good to go in that area. Current moveset is Electroweb, Electro Ball, Signal Beam, Sucker Punch. Got Signal Beam and Sucker Punch for type coverage but I'm not 100% sure on those.
Electroweb and Electro Ball aren't both necessary. Keep Signal Beam, and Toxic is a good choice too - especially for against Marshall.

Sawsbuck: This is a pokemon I've kind of entertained the thought of and decided to go for it. Has brave nature which I'm happy about but also has sap sipper which isn't so great if I decide to use him on a sun team later on. No moveset planned.
Horn Leech + Jump Kick + Faint Attack + Take Down/Double-Edge. That's a good, versatile set, but can possibly damage you - be sure to use Horn Leech to suck some of it back.

Scrafty: Has mild nature which I'm (-_-) about, might re-capture a new scraggy if I feel like it, but I like this one a lot for a sweeper, moxie is nice, and I like the type combination.
Yeah, Scrafty works. No real thoughts on a moveset.

Lampent: I've heard good things about Lampent and it's next stage Chandelure and I needed a fire type and the ghost typing is nice too but I'm kind of un-fazed by this one. I think my issues with it are moveset based, as I haven't gotten a reliable fire attack for it yet. (Inferno is extremely unreliable but is nice with hex) It's current moves are Inferno, Embargo, Shadow Ball, Hex. Flamethrower is learned kind of late iirc which is what I was hoping to replace inferno with, but idk what to do with this pokemon...
Go with it. You mentioned that your team is weak to fighting, and you need a counter. Lampent serves this purpose well. Shadow Ball is necessary, and Inferno is problematic, but you can't get Flamethrower pre-E4 so that's bad. Flame Burst might be a better choice, since it will hit 100% of the time and has 70 power, whereas Inferno would only have 100 power if it manages to hit. Shadow Ball + Flame Burst + Embargo (really useful against the E4), and then Confuse Ray might be a better placeholder for the time being, since it can - CAN - destroy the E4 if you're lucky. Definitely get Psychic for that when you can.

Sigilyph: It's only really here because I need a psychic type or flying type for marshal and this is both... however I'm worried about his frequent use of stone edge.
Reflect + Air Slash + Psychic + Whirlwind. Blow out the Stone Edge Pokemon, set up a Reflect, then sweep. Make sure when the Stone Edge Pokemon is out, you have a Reflect up already. That might be able to beat Marshal.

Carracosta: Well... this is another one I'm not sure about, I needed a good water type and a lot of the ones I was looking foward to aren't available pre-E4. (gated content in pokemon? D: Turtlemon also goes against my self imposed 'no unique pokemon' rule ) also have a seismitoad but I'm not a fan of him... I mean he has boobs on his head! May have to switch back to him though :/ Any other decent water types?
B/W didn't give us much of anything in the way of Water-types. Carracosta is one, Jellicent is another, Palpitoad is another, Swanna, Simipour, worthless Alomomola...

Really, there isn't a good selection. Jellicent may be a good bet since it's also Ghost-Type and would help against Marshal's freight train service. It would also give you another Ghost-type, however, and although that would make Lady Caitlin a cakewalk, Shauntal and Grimsley would be able to beat you up. In that regard, you'd have to drop the Lampent for a Darmanitan or Volcarona. That would require a lot of training, however, and for an in-game team, it might not be worth it.

It's probably best to just train the team you have to level 45 at the very least, preferably 48 since that's where the E4 are at. I think you'll manage fine, although Marshal could give you problems. Save him for last so your troops gain levels against the others. If Sigilyph has the speed, he can take Throh and Sawk to town.

Hopefully this is helpful!

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
-galvantula :
make sure it has compound eyes as ability (increase accuracy for thunder)
preferably modest nature
thunder
signal beam
thunderwave
filler move

u win.

-never use sawsbuck before, but as a physical mixed sweeper give it some strong grass/fighting moves.

-SCRAFTY
(MUST HAVE MOVESET)
MOXIE

DRAIN PUNCH/HI JUMP KICK
CRUNCH
BULK UP
ICE PUNCH (TO DEAL WITH FLYING/DRAGONS)

-there are actually pretty decent water pkmn but only in the late game...
STARMIE??
one of the strongest compettitive water type in any pkmn game
water/psychic help against marshal

Surf
Psychic
thunderbolt
recover

another win.

-chandelure is very good, just bear with training lampent until it evolves

fireblast
shadow ball
energy ball
willowisp/substitute

EDIT: oh i thought this was for black/white2, you shld just get it u know, more variety there...

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2012
Yea I know B/W2 has more variety and a few other improvements, I just haven't had the time/spare cash to buy it yet, been busy and only picked my black version back up again yesterday lol

Thanks for the input both of you, will be lots of help :)

Edit, also not looking for pokemon movesets involving breeding (not worth the trouble for E4) / pokemon obtained via trade only or only available after E4 (I can't get them lol)

Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
well thats why i said bw2 cos they have move tutors that can teach strong moves that you would normally be unable to get in bw1. (eg.outrage, elemental punches, drain punch etc.)

Even if you cant get that move you can always substitue it with something similar or so.

Back