• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Smash 4/7/2013 + April CoroCoro: Mewtwo's New Form!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Maybe Celebi will have one xD Can't imagine Johto's having different formes tbh...

I see Mewtwo learning it's signature move like Keldeo, when transforming to this forme...well when it doesn't have it that is.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I feel like they may go down a different route than it simply learning a move to change forms. There's the bonding system, maybe that will play a part. There probably will also be more new game mechanics, so that could affect Mewtwo's transformation as well.

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
Anyone thought maybe "Newtwo" is a "fusion" between Mew and Mewtwo?

Like Kyurem and Zekrom/Reshiram.. His legs remind me of Mew's rather than Mewtwo's and his expression looks "softer" (not as cold or strong) than Mewtwo's, making it half-way between Mewtwo's expression and Mew's.

Or maybe I'm just seeing things where they don't exist o.o

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Anyone thought maybe "Newtwo" is a "fusion" between Mew and Mewtwo?

Like Kyurem and Zekrom/Reshiram.. His legs remind me of Mew's rather than Mewtwo's and his expression looks "softer" (not as cold or strong) than Mewtwo's, making it half-way between Mewtwo's expression and Mew's.

Or maybe I'm just seeing things where they don't exist o.o
That.

It's the Awakened Forme (best name we have) of Mewtwo. Mew has no involvement directly to our knowledge.

Cyclone

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
It's not so surprising to find out Newtwo is a new form of Mewtwo, it was either that or a new standalone Pokèmon with ties to Mewtwo. I will admit though, I am slightly disappointed. I was really hoping they would have gone with the failed experiment route. It would have just seemed a bit more organic than the idea of Mewtwo "awakening with its new shape". Although, that could just be for the movie.

Any guesses as to what the new form will be called? Mewtwo Awakened Form anyone?

Yeah, basically what I was thinking. I was hoping that if it was a new Pokemon, it would actually have something to do with the storyline of these new games, instead of just being something else Gamefreak can add on to their list of new features for XY.

Though maybe Mewtwo could be a part of the story, I'm just wondering why does it get a new form now?

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I'm just wondering why does it get a new form now?

I think they're trying to bring elements of the first generation back into the newer world of Pokemon. In the past they've done evolutionary things (and they're doing that here as well (at least with ninfeon)) but adding a new Mewtwo form would be an easy link to gen 1. It brings a new kind of novelty to a very old Pokemon.

I'm not 100% happy with the new look. Somehow, attaching his tail to the back of his head doesn't look right to me, so I hope this isn't just a cosmetic change. This forme will hopefully bring an entirely different style of play to Mewtwo.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Going with the whole "X/Y are going to be about DNA" thing, and seeing as Mewtwo's background was pretty much based on that, perhaps this new form would have it play more of a role within X/Y's story, of some sort? That's my theory, anyway.

Its highly doubtful. Keldeo and the Kami played no part in the major story of B2W2. Mewtwo's new form is probably a post game achievement. I do not see Mewtwo being in the Pokedex since its just a form change.

Years
Maybe Mewtwo will have a post game plot revolve around it...sort of like Heatran in DPP. Unless if it's like Kami trio's mirror to transform them, if so than I guess maybe we may get some backstory at least.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I'm glad it's a forme, sorry gen 1 fanboys and girls. It doesn't make sense for it to replace Mewtwo on the movie poster and be a new Pokémon unless it completely annihilated Mewtwo...and then where would the "Mewtwo's Awakening" be if that happened?

Also, time for Fire Emblem references, teehee x3

I'm willing to bet that Mewtwo will have something in X and Y--remember the Celebi + Giovanni event, or the Arceus + Sinjoh Ruins event? That's something I'd love to see return, and I think Mewtwo and its new forme would be a great opportunity for such, going back to its origin story which is left fairly vague in the games.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I'm willing to bet that Mewtwo will have something in X and Y--remember the Celebi + Giovanni event, or the Arceus + Sinjoh Ruins event? That's something I'd love to see return, and I think Mewtwo and its new forme would be a great opportunity for such, going back to its origin story which is left fairly vague in the games.
This right here. I doubt Mewtwo or its new form will have much influence on the games' large plot, but if it can at least have a small side event in-game like Rivvon mentioned here, I'd love to see that happen again. If there was any time to shed some new light on Mewtwo's history in the games and actually go into detail about it, then this would be the prime chance to do it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
I'm questioning why people want to know more about Mewtwo's backstory when it is one of the most well known backstories already. Mewtwo is a Mew clone, enhanced to be even more powerful, possibly to be the strongest Pokemon ever. Its anger set it off and it destroyed the Cinnabar Island Lab, and flew off to hide in Cerulean Cave. I'm not really sure what else they could add that would make it relevant to being a stronger Mew clone or explain why it suddenly gained a new form after years of not having one.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
A lot of it's backstory we know is anime based though, it's only been implied in games, it'll be nice to know who was behind Mewtwo in the games.

I feel like assuming Team Rocket was behind it is enough. Mewtwo was also tied to Team Rocket in some of the manga as well, so it stands to reason that Team Rocket was behind Mewtwo in the games as well. (And Giovanni's interest in Silph Co. can be assumed to have been for the Master Ball to capture Mewtwo) They may not have directly stated any of this in the games, but I don't think it's too out there to make those connections based on the info left in the games, as well as events from the manga and anime.

Years
I think those Manga based their Mewtwo story off the anime's...without the anime story they'll not really have much to go by...thus why we sort of need more backstory.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Yeah, I kind of figured. Though I suppose the real reason why GF gave it a form change, no one would really know. >.> It would make sense (to me, at least) if you're going through the trouble to give a Pokemon an important form change and include them in a movie, that they would have at least a cameo of some sort in the games.

Keldeo didn't really have any cameo and his form change was advertised as a larger part for the movie than Kyurem's. Keldeo was more the main focus than Kyurem was, though they did that with Shaymin and Giratina too. Shaymin was an important part of the movie, got a new form just as Giratina did. Shaymin played no part in the bigger picture for Pokemon Platinum.

Just cause they are featured in the movie or get a new form doesn't mean they're playing a major role in the game. Based on the last two, since Giratina played a large role in Gen 4, Kyurem in Gen 5 and since this is the Gen 6 cross over movie, I don't see Mewtwo who was the second "lead" (same as Keldeo and Shaymin) getting any important role in Gen 6.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
I guess we gonna get him from an event, and I don't even know if I will have that kind of event in my region...

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I feel like assuming Team Rocket was behind it is enough. Mewtwo was also tied to Team Rocket in some of the manga as well, so it stands to reason that Team Rocket was behind Mewtwo in the games as well. (And Giovanni's interest in Silph Co. can be assumed to have been for the Master Ball to capture Mewtwo) They may not have directly stated any of this in the games, but I don't think it's too out there to make those connections based on the info left in the games, as well as events from the manga and anime.

In the games Mewtwo is said to be a Mew that was birthed by another Mew, that was then genetically altered by Fuji into its current state, no cloning required. Any assumptions based on outside sources (the movies and manga are not the same canon as the games) are just that--assumptions. This would be a great opportunity to bring back special events and draw different/more specific connections than what the original games imply.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
In the games Mewtwo is said to be a Mew that was birthed by another Mew, that was then genetically altered by Fuji into its current state, no cloning required. Any assumptions based on outside sources (the movies and manga are not the same canon as the games) are just that--assumptions. This would be a great opportunity to bring back special events and draw different/more specific connections than what the original games imply.

Is it really that hard to accept those assumptions though? And why would they be building Mewtwo's story 17 years after it was introduced, after it has appeared in 2 separate movies about it? Is Team Rocket returning in X & Y? Also, will this lead to even more older Pokemon randomly getting forms/formes and changing their backstories suddenly?

Mewtwo had a backstory, but due to the limits in technology, it was presented in the only way they had: text. I don't really see anything suggesting Mewtwo didn't have a good enough story as it was considering Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres had absolutely no story at all.

Back