• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Tutorial] RPG Maker XP on Mac

Boonzeet

Pokémon Secrets of the Ages Developer
Years
I've seen this raised by a few people on the forums and I thought it'd be good to make a guide for the Mac users that would love to purchase RPG Maker XP.

Please note: because of the way WINE works, MIDI files do not play. I don't know of a fix for this so I just use MP3 files.

WineBottler

You will need WineBottler to install and run RPG Maker XP on your Mac.

WineBottler can be downloaded from here and includes Wine: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

Installing RPG Maker XP

In your folder from your Enterbrain download, you should have the following (or two install files, read below):

1.png

(Some recent downloaders say there is just one folder with two install files - so replace the relevant Setup.exe mentions in this tutorial with the install files for the main program and the RGSS-RTP. If someone could tell me the actual file names that'd help! (I bought RPG Maker XP over 5 years ago!).

Open the installer for the main RPG Maker XP program (in Setup2) by right-clicking Setup.exe and selecting "Open with > Wine".

In the popup that appears, select the option "Convert to simple OS X Application bundle with WineBottler". Save the bundle as "RPG Maker XP" in your Applications folder.

3.png

In the WineBottler preferences that pops up, you do not need to change anything, but rename the prefix to "com.enterbrain.rpgmakerxp" or whatever you want the prefix to be called. Then click install.

4.png

This will run the actual Windows installer, so just click next, do not change the install directory or anything. At the end, Wine will ask which file to run when the application is opened. This is important! Select RPGXP.exe. Now, there will be an OS X Application that runs RPG Maker XP. Don't run it yet though.

Installing RGSS-RTP

Installing the RGSS-RTP is necessary to run RPG Maker XP, but not all RPG Maker XP programs. A big problem people have with WineBottling this program is installing the RGSS-RTP, but it's very simple!

Open the installer for the RGSS-RTP (in Setup1) called Setup.Exe and open with Wine.

When the pop-up appears, select "Run directly in an existing Wine prefix" and run in your com.enterbrain.rpgmakerxp prefix.

5.png

Run the installer in its default configuration, and when it's installed, if it doesn't automatically, close it.

You have now installed RGSS-RTP and your RPG Maker app when opened should run perfectly. Remember to activate RPG Maker XP with your serial number on its first launch.

Hope this helps someone! :)

Last edited:
Years
Thanks for posting this! I've been running RPGXP on a mac for a while. Besides wine's incapability of playing MIDI files, the program also does not let me copy and paste event pages or anything for that matter, which is a huge hinderance. Anyone else experiencing this?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 23, 2020
I know this is SUPER late and this guide is probably outdated, but I'm having some problems trying to get this to work :/

Installing Setup 2 works a treat, usually no problems.
But I can't find my prefix when installing the RGSS thing. Any ideas?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 23, 2020
Thanks for posting this! I've been running RPGXP on a mac for a while. Besides wine's incapability of playing MIDI files, the program also does not let me copy and paste event pages or anything for that matter, which is a huge hinderance. Anyone else experiencing this?

pls tell me how u do :))

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
False. rgp maker xp does not work on mac. trust me. i tried to open it with a program called wine and it didn't open,therefore,it cannot open on mac.

Years
So far, so good! I followed the installation instructions you all shared and RPG Maker XP is launching fine using Wine on my Mac. I still have to purchase the full program, however I wanted to make sure I'd be able to run it using Wine before I did actually buy it.

Thank you all so much for the help, and I'm excited to get using the program.
Will share feedback as I go and share any insight I have that can help others.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
(Some recent downloaders say there is just one folder with two install files - so replace the relevant Setup.exe mentions in this tutorial with the install files for the main program and the RGSS-RTP. If someone could tell me the actual file names that'd help! (I bought RPG Maker XP over 5 years ago!).
In my case there was no folder, there was just one file called RPGXP_E.exe. I just had to start installing this file how you explained it in your tutorial and then the installer for RGSS-RTP started automatically after the installation of RGP Maker XP was completed. So I didn't had to do it in two steps anymore.
But thank you for the tutorial, it was helpful even though it wasn't exactly the way it is now. It now works perfectly fine on my mac.

Back