• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

can you start off your game with a ratatta or a poliwag or something because you ran out of starters?

Years
as the title says; can you start off your game with a ratatta or a poliwag or something because you ran out of starters?

like i want to try starting with a rattata in firered & a poliwag in pokemon blue

because i've already got all the kanto starters right now *i've got my fia the charmander in pokemon x & konoha the bulbasaur in pokemon yellow *i'll be getting squirtle in leafgreen, but still :) *

but i don't want to hurt the starters feelings... what to do ~_~

it's just something i was thinking about :)

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Well, Poliwag is a bit difficult to get early game, but you can always just start the game and box your starter after you catch a Rattata or whatever else it is you'd like to use? A lot of people who do mono-type runs of the game will do that if their starter isn't the type they're using, and there's nothing saying you HAVE to use the Pokemon you're given at the beginning of the game once you've caught another...or even traded for another, if you're able to.

If you're playing an emulator, there are probably cheats that would allow you to modify your Pokemon so that you could start with what you wanted, or at least encounter it very early on.

Years
Well, Poliwag is a bit difficult to get early game, but you can always just start the game and box your starter after you catch a Rattata or whatever else it is you'd like to use? A lot of people who do mono-type runs of the game will do that if their starter isn't the type they're using, and there's nothing saying you HAVE to use the Pokemon you're given at the beginning of the game once you've caught another...or even traded for another, if you're able to.

If you're playing an emulator, there are probably cheats that would allow you to modify your Pokemon so that you could start with what you wanted, or at least encounter it very early on.

i decided to swap poliwag for sandshrew for pokemon blue & put poliwag into my team for firered

so my teams i'm aiming for are:

firered:

rattata
spearow
jigglypuff
growlithe
horsea
poliwag

pokemon blue:

sandshrew
venonat
paras
ponyta
vaporeon (evolved from eevee)
farfetch'd

Last edited:
Years
In my last playthrough of FireRed I decided to play without a starter and caught a Mankey at the start of the game instead and then just boxed my starter. It certainly makes the games different and is sometimes a nice change from always playing with a starter.

Years
edit: i forgot to mention:

for black 2;

pansage
sewaddle
sandile
dwebble
gothita
deerling (spring form)

i decided to swap around my teams for firered & blue for the final time :)

fire red:

sandshrew
rattata
farfetch'd
jigglypuff
growlithe
horsea

blue *though i'm really starting to dislike those early games like that one... not sure why exactly ~_~... might be cause of the black & white colour & that the exp all share doesn't work like it does in later games *example, x/y/sun/moon * :

spearow
paras
ponyta
clefairy
vaporeon (from eevee)
poliwag

Last edited:
Years
In my last playthrough of FireRed I decided to play without a starter and caught a Mankey at the start of the game instead and then just boxed my starter. It certainly makes the games different and is sometimes a nice change from always playing with a starter.

that's nice :) mankey's cute... when he/she's not going mad :)

Last edited:
Back