• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Favourite and Least Favourite Gen 2 Pokémon

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
Favourite gen 2 is Granbull, though it's really hard because I love Gen 2 the most. Least favourite is probably Hitmontop but I still like it

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Favorite is probably either Azumarill or Chikorita. Least favorite are the new pokemon you gotta breed for.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
FAVOURITES:

i_himeguma.gif
I just absolutely love Teddiursa so much! It's so adorable and I've been fond of it ever since I first seen it in the third Pokémon movie when the girl dreamt it up and I never thought it'd be an actual Pokémon at the time. I was so excited seeing this cute little thing in Gen 2 playing Pokémon Silver. Ursaring is a beast too, I really liked seeing it in the Pokémon Adventures manga!

i_upaa.gif
This little dude is just straight up awesome. I remember getting a like weird disk thing in a packet of crisps when I was a kid in school - maybe 5/6 years of age - and remember freaking out with my friends wondering what this was! None of us had found it in our copy of Pokémon Red+Blue. We were holding it upside down hahaha I thought that it's head went at the bottom.

I wanted to do honourable mentions too but I'd be here forever!​

LEAST FAVOURITE:

i_meganiumu.gif
I can't tell you how much I hate this thing. I'm not even completely sure why. Chikorita is my least favourite starter, I love Bayleaf and one of my favourite anime moments came in the Pokémon Chronicles feature length where Vincent's Meganium used Solarbeam and Marina thought it was Lance. Come to think of it; Bulbasaur's battle against Vincent's Meganium in the Johto Pokémon League was a great battle too! I think it's just having used Meganium so often in randomized Nuzlocke playthroughs in the past - it just doesn't hit hard whatsoever hahaha.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 13, 2018
Favs: Magcargo for the bossome and unique Fire/Rock typing that adds offensive advantages, Houndoom for all around great attacking stats and helpful, diverse typing, Tyranitar for knowing so many strong attacks like Rock Throw, Ice Beam and Flamethrower and Espeon for being a Psychic typing with a high Special attack and Speed (A must).

Least Favs: Ledian (Who is easily one shotted and literally useless), Ariados (Who is slightly more useful than Ledian, but that is only because it knows Spider Web and it is still a horrible Pokemon) and Stantler (Poor man's Tauros).

Shanedmuir

Shane D.M.
Years
I loved the Cyndaquil evolution line, as well as Gligar and Sneasel. Quite memorable Pokemon. Even without evolutions being given to them later on, they still would be badass Pokemon without evolutions.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
My absolute favorite Pokemon is Umbreon, so naturally it's my favorite from gen II. Some other Pokemon I love in gen II are Quilava, Smeargle, Quagsire, Misdreavus, Entei, Furret, Flaaffy, Forretress, Tyranitar, Octillery, and Bellossom.

Honestly, I cannot pick a least favorite. In my opinion, gen II has the best designed Pokemon and there's not one that stands out to me as bad. I suppose if I had to pick, I would say Granbull, but I don't dislike Granbull at all. I think it looks cool and I love using it in GSC, Colosseum, and even more so after it got changed to Fairy type. ...So yeah, I'll even take back saying Granbull as a compromise. I really do love all the Pokemon this generation.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Omg, my favourites list is MASSIVE.

Chikorita - because SO pretty
Cyndaquil - because it is so cute
Totodile - so much personality in the anime lmao
Bellossom - omg, as a kid I loooved Bellossom!
Marill - ok so it has nothing THAT special about it but as a kid it was one of the coolest, I think because of the anime lol
Sudowoodo - It had its own special event thingie... what else gets that treatment other than legendaries? :) ...and Gyarados...
Politoed - I... loved frogs back in the day!
Skiploom - Hoppip is irrelevant, Skiploom is the best yo
Yanma - idk to me it seemed like the absolute rarest Johto Pokemon lol
Slowking - it was badass in a movie, that's... a pretty good selling point!
Unown - mainly because of the INCREDIBLE Entei movie
Teddiursa/Phanpy - Happy nostalgic memories??

Larvitar, Blissey, Miltank, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Ho-Oh, Lugia...

ok yeah I love 99% of Johto.

BUT! Least favourite? Aipom. It's so gross. It's just a monkey. Or monkey-type thing. I just don't like monkeys lol. Most other Pokemon are A-OK by me but Aipom is just not my type!

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
Omg, my favourites list is MASSIVE.

Chikorita - because SO pretty
Cyndaquil - because it is so cute
Totodile - so much personality in the anime lmao
Bellossom - omg, as a kid I loooved Bellossom!
Marill - ok so it has nothing THAT special about it but as a kid it was one of the coolest, I think because of the anime lol
Sudowoodo - It had its own special event thingie... what else gets that treatment other than legendaries? :) ...and Gyarados...
Politoed - I... loved frogs back in the day!
Skiploom - Hoppip is irrelevant, Skiploom is the best yo
Yanma - idk to me it seemed like the absolute rarest Johto Pokemon lol
Slowking - it was badass in a movie, that's... a pretty good selling point!
Unown - mainly because of the INCREDIBLE Entei movie
Teddiursa/Phanpy - Happy nostalgic memories??

Larvitar, Blissey, Miltank, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Ho-Oh, Lugia...

ok yeah I love 99% of Johto.

BUT! Least favourite? Aipom. It's so gross. It's just a monkey. Or monkey-type thing. I just don't like monkeys lol. Most other Pokemon are A-OK by me but Aipom is just not my type!
You're like me :) I've seen people liking monkey pokemon a lot and stuff, but I just don't really like them.

Ok, as for the actual topic, I really like Togetic, it's cute and it's evolution is just awesome, I like it a lot. From the starters, I probably like Chikorita the most, but Totodile and Cyndaqil are cool too! Same goes for their evolutions. Next up is Celebi. It's cute and a mythical, I am a fan of those.

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
Lugia is probably my favorite Gen 2 Pokemon, I mean come on.. IT'S JUST SO FREAKING COOL! lolol fanboying aside, my least favorite is Qwilfish.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Xatu has always been one of my favorite pokemon in general; it's backstory about being able to see the past and future at the same was always cool to me.

Unown is a novetly pokemon with literally no use. Are there people out there who actually enjoy collecting them? {XD}

ninemales

Boof boof bidoof
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 8, 2017
Suicune and Lugia always had genuine Legendary mystique and elegance that, for me, were lacking in pretty much every other gen.

I also love Azumarill, but honestly only since it gained the Fairy type... Which probably makes me shallow. :P

Aaaand Sudowoodo is the worst. Just don't get the appeal.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I have to say my favorites would be Tyranitar, Steelix and Porygon. As for least favorite...Unown...just seems useless to me.

Years
I guess my favourite award should to go tyranitar. My friend had one and i liked it so much i cought a lvl 5 larvitar in the morning and lvlld it to 100 in the same day.

For the worst: togepi/togetic, maril/azumaril, unown, slowking, hoppip, skiploom,, jumpluff and politoed. slowking & politoed are an unneccessairy extra evo to an existing pokemon. there was really no point to slowking, and politoed while not looking so bad, should have been a seperate pokemon alltogether.the others are just lazy by design. we already had some pokemon that are circles with limbs, no need to add more.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Unown and Ledian are least favorites for me due to being the weakest and unfortunately most useless Johto Pokemon. Early bug types were made to be bad back then but even Ariados, Butterfree and Beedrill are more useful throughout the game.

Don't understand Gamefreaks thought process when creating Unown and Ledian. If Ledian and Unown were created in a later gen, they'd probably have better stats, ability, typing and movepool and a chance at actually being decent.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
My most favorite from Johto easily are Espeon and Umbreon
I love the Vee's too much

least favorite has to be Togepi, it was soo annoying in the anime (really hated it) and really hate it's design

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2021
Favourite? From Gen II? Dunsparce. Yeah, hate all you want. I picked it up in Dark Cave in my first playthrough of Gold, it was the first entirely new Pokemon I met in that generation, and I loved that little guy and carried it with me as far as it would go. I love its confusingly-shaped body and its cute little face and, yes, even its moveset is charming. Natu is cool too.

Least favourite is Forrettress. I know it's strong and popular and all, but it never made sense to me. How does it move?

Years
Azumarill and Chikorita/Meganium are some of my favorites.

Chikorita: first starter ever, first pokemon ever. Because Heartgold was my first playthrough, I remember having it at some ridiculous level and trying to destroy Red with it. I beat him 1st time, but Meganium had help.

Azumarill: While not a part of any of my Johto playthroughs, I have used Azumarill in more recent entries, gained a "permanent nickname" status as I just find it amazing to use.

Back