• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Help Wanted] Team Kind-of-New Kanto

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 6, 2017
Hello, guys. I'm quite new to these forums, so I'm just going to take a shot in the dark and hope nobody bleeds out.

A couple years ago, I started doing some very basic hacking as a hobby. I made 2 completed hacks and neither of them were released to the public. They were nothing special; just harder versions of Pokemon Ruby and LeafGreen (what the HELL was I thinking...) that simply increased the level curve and allowed you to obtain all 386 Pokemon before the postgame. No new moves, no new abilities or anything special or fancy like that. However, with all of the advances in ROM hacking and all of the fresh, talented hackers that have gravitated towards the public eye in the last couple years, it is now very possible for an inexperienced hacker like myself to create a comprehensive, but still simple, update or "redo" of a given game. However, I want to take a step further and not only include Pokemon from Gens I-VI and some new, interesting scripts that differ from the vanilla FireRed, but also some fakemon and some new plot elements and characters.

However, I have numerous severe and insurmountable artistic deficiencies. I CANNOT make Pokemon sprites or trainer sprites that aren't amalgamations of already existing sprites. I also am not capable of developing realistic, three-dimensional characters or a plot that doesn't sound like it's straight out of some 11-year-old girl's fanfiction. As a result, I need to enlist the help of people who are more creatively inclined than I am. What I am good at, however, is balancing and other less creative aspects of ROM Hacking, such as balancing base stats, creating good movepools, and creating formidable, but still balanced trainer battles. I also can do scripting, but I am really not that great with anything super advanced. Oddly enough, while my plotting prowess might be lacking, I would like to think that I'm good with dialogue. I just need a little helping hand with some Fakemon spriting and some very minimal plot changes (mostly in the postgame of FireRed), as well as maybe some unique scripts.

Guidelines for spriting:

This is mainly for Fakemon as well for some Pokemon that exist but have lackluster front sprites. I have all of the concepts, the base stats, the movepools, and all of that all etched in my head. I can even draw some rough sketches on paper if necessary, but be mindful that I do not have constant access to a scanner. All I need is a little help with spriting them.

Here are some of my guidelines for spriting Fakemon:

1. Your sprites need to be shaded and outlined as closely to the Gen 3 sprites as possible.
While I do appreciate and value creative artwork styles, I would prefer these sprites to be as close to the official ones as possible.
2. Your Pokemon sprites need to look like real Pokemon.
This one isn't as easy to understand. Generally speaking, Pokemon have a look that makes them identifiable as a Pokemon. It's hard to explain; like, say, if someone gets shown a picture of a Pokemon that supposedly hails from a future generation, that person has to think to themselves that they could believe that the Pokemon could have been created by Game Freak. I'll try to be lenient with this one because I'm not sure if I explained this the best way I can.
3. Don't steal others' concept artwork to make sprites.
While I think that it's acceptable to use someone else's art to give you an idea of what, say, a Fakemon evolution of an already-existing Pokemon, should look like, any artwork that has been copied verbatim from someone else without their permission is stolen. No exceptions.

Here are my basic guidelines for plot:

1. Never, EVER, EVER, EVER use any characters from series other than Pokemon as serious characters in the plot.
While I know that you've wanted to see that Sailor Moon/Breaking Bad crossover fanfic that you made (teehee, I got jokes) incorporated with hundreds of monsters that you get to keep in little balls, my biggest pet peeve when it comes to plot is when people use characters from various cartoons or Anime/Manga as characters in a Pokemon hack. It's just not my cup of tea, and it makes little sense once you start to analyze it. Unless it's being used in a not serious or humorous manner, please refrain from doing it.
2. Make characters 3 dimensional, but don't give them huge, contrived backstories that take away from the main purpose of the game.
The hack that I'm working on is supposed to just be FireRed with a few Fakemon, updated Trainer Rosters and wild encounters, and a more deep and content-full postgame. The very few characters that I would like to introduce are likely not going to get very much screentime, but I would like them to be thought out nonetheless. A good backstory would be nice, but I don't want it to be so involved to the point where we have to devote lots of time and likely in-game content to that one character. Remember, I want this to be as simple as possible.

Also, please fill out this basic application form if you're interested in helping:

Interested in: Spriting Fakemon/Spriting Trainers/Plot/Scripting (choose all that apply; scripting is also a big "maybe")
Past works, if any:
Examples of your work: (I would need a trainer sprite or fakemon sprite if you're interested in spriting, depending on which one you'd like to do or a very basic plot element (such as a character or a legendary Pokemon backstory) if you're interested in plot. If you're interested in scripting (which isn't really super-important at this current time) just tell me if you've discovered any unique or interesting scripts you feel might be helpful)

I will PM you if I am interested. PM me with any inquiries.

Current team members: Me, myself, and I (:v)
Current progress: None yet!

Cheers

Back