• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Reactor

You can use DeviantArt to upload a huge image like that. I'd like to see it in it's entirety.

Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen Mar 23, 2015
You can use DeviantArt to upload a huge image like that. I'd like to see it in it's entirety.

Thanks! The full resolution image was still too big even when I compressed the image under 80MB. The image is 256 Megapixels. The limit is 200MP. So I cropped the image down to not include the parts of the map I haven't really started like the islands. Here is the link, I would suggest downloading the image instead of trying to view it in your browser. Please any constructive feedback would be great!!

http://sta.sh/015roq6txm02

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 1, 2024
Whats coming up in the next PLY version
knot_island_by_desbrina-d7rsj04.png

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Mmmm that Knot Island path to Mount Ember looks amazing, I can't really see any errors in it, even nit-picky ones!

I've finished the maps for Kanto Victory Road in Faith & Prayer Version. Probably the hardest maps for me to make, but I guess I'm pleased with the results. A little backstory before diving into Victory Road's designs: As I posted here many many moons ago, a picture of a destroyed Route 23 from a mudslide and earthquake. I ran with that idea as my canon for this game, and Victory Road, subsequentially, was destroyed as well. The Kanto Government, the Kanto League, decided to rebuild Victory Road underneath the newly reconstructed Route 23. Using lots of money, they managed to reshape the first floor to resemble the old Route 23, and the first floor of the old Victory Road.
This Victory Road is a bit more different than other Victory Roads - there is a giant waterfall going up through the center, and surf and waterfall are essential for navigating this behemoth of a dungeon. There are some spots that make use of an interesting concept where you jump down off a cliff to proceed through the dungeon. One of the jumps leads you into an automatic surf, the other jump is near the end of the dungeon with no chance to return to the beginning (short of escape rope/dig or an early wipe) from inside.
My map extractor really does not like showing some autotiles for some reason, so waterfalls are missing in these photos. I cannot fathom why the extractor doesn't like autotiles, but whatever.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
This will be my first map showcase in a while. With the recent tile bump I did I've decided to showcase my Route 2 map and show how it compares with the last map-shot I took of this map.

Old map:
Spoiler:

New map:
Spoiler:

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
Here is a new map that I have been working on, it is called Lost Woods. It is a Ghost-type forest and has Pokemon such as Gastly, Shuppet, Duskull, Phantump, Honedge and Pumpkaboo.

Maps of Lost Woods:
Spoiler:

Here is what they look like in game, with the fog-effect:
Spoiler:

Here is a video of the first time that the player Enters the Lost Woods. There is an important event!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r1UCb3Ix_k

Here is a Map of a small Town at the end of Lost Woods called MuskyFog Town (anyone got a better name? lol):
Spoiler:

And what it looks like in-game:
Spoiler:

Would appreciate all your thoughts and criticism on the above.

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Spoiler:
It's a great idea, really interesting and well done. I like the idea of the lost woods being sort of like a maze, like the one from LoZ, but as a map. It's all well done, but the town seems a bit too square, it's fine, but you may want to put all that space to better use. I would also call it a village, instead of a town.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Took me around 20 minutes to make. Pretty simple.
Click here for image because it's real huge

E: Here's a second part of the map: img here :)

More of a map than a screenshot, actually, exactly like a map, and not at all like a screenshot.
Anyway, it's fine I guess, it's a pretty standard map for a legendary encounter, or important scene.
I would like to see those floating pillars flipped upside down - it would only require a small amount of editing, recolor, and copy/pasting.

I also am not a fan of the statues, it makes it seem forced, it's more man-made instead of natural and eerie. Unless you were going for man-made, then it's fine, but still you should go with something else.

Savordez

It's time to end fangames.
Years
More of a map than a screenshot, actually, exactly like a map, and not at all like a screenshot.
ok

Anyway, it's fine I guess, it's a pretty standard map for a legendary encounter, or important scene.
It's not a cave for legendaries or an important scene; I wanted to make a small cave so yeah!! Yay!!

I would like to see those floating pillars flipped upside down - it would only require a small amount of editing, recolor, and copy/pasting.
You mean the stalagmites in the second screenshot? I wanted to make them like, rise from the darkness but your idea sounds better. Will do!

I also am not a fan of the statues, it makes it seem forced, it's more man-made instead of natural and eerie. Unless you were going for man-made, then it's fine, but still you should go with something else.
Yep, man-made. It's the home of some crazy cultists.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Here's a swamp route I've just finished. Came out surprisingly well, actually.

Spoiler:
I love it, it's all great. Very well done, the only thing is that the swamp water is too boring. It would be cool if it looked more interesting instead of flat brown, but even that is fine.
Also I don't know a lot about swamps, but the white rocks seem a little out of place.
Also I love the mushrooms

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022

Spoiler:

Looks seriously good! I agree with above about the water, but I know that's not something easily done and it still looks great as is. The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the player already has surf it's going to be really easy to cut straight through the map. Not a problem if it's earlier in the game, but if it's later then maybe but in some obstacles like rocks or partially submerged mangroves in the water.

Is pretty.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
I love it, it's all great. Very well done, the only thing is that the swamp water is too boring. It would be cool if it looked more interesting instead of flat brown, but even that is fine.
Also I don't know a lot about swamps, but the white rocks seem a little out of place.
Also I love the mushrooms

Thanks! I might replace the water with an autotile that adds a bit of animation to the edges of the water (like in D/P) but that all depends on whether I can be bothered. Also I was going to use brown rocks but I wanted to add a bit of variety to the colours on the map, otherwise everything would look overwhelmingly poopy.

Looks seriously good! I agree with above about the water, but I know that's not something easily done and it still looks great as is. The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the player already has surf it's going to be really easy to cut straight through the map. Not a problem if it's earlier in the game, but if it's later then maybe but in some obstacles like rocks or partially submerged mangroves in the water.

Is pretty.

You actually get Surf here, and the upper rivers of the map take you to a hidden route. But yes, I will add some rocks to the other parts to stop the player from escaping. And thanks! Much of the credit goes to Kyledove's beautiful swamp tiles. Here they are if anyone else wants to use them.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years

Spoiler:

Simple and nice map. It's decorated moderately and isn't boring.
The space is filled nicely and it isn't too cramped or too spacious.

I agree with Saving Raven that the muddy water is kind of boring as it is now. I suggest using a dark yellow-greenish color of water, to get the "swampy" feel to it. You could also use a darker shade of water to give the feeling of different depth, to make it more interesting. And some plants in the water (reeds, moss, lilypads) wouldn't be bad either IMO.

Lastly, since you are using Kyledove's tiles for almost everything, I suggest using his "Tall Swamp Grass" as well, as I think the one, without an outline, which you are using now, sticks out from the rest of the tiles, which do have outlines.

I give the map an 8/10 as is, but when you've finished the water, it's a potential 9/10.

Good luck with your game! :)

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
Simple and nice map. It's decorated moderately and isn't boring.
The space is filled nicely and it isn't too cramped or too spacious.

I agree with Saving Raven that the muddy water is kind of boring as it is now. I suggest using a dark yellow-greenish color of water, to get the "swampy" feel to it. You could also use a darker shade of water to give the feeling of different depth, to make it more interesting. And some plants in the water (reeds, moss, lilypads) wouldn't be bad either IMO.

Lastly, since you are using Kyledove's tiles for almost everything, I suggest using his "Tall Swamp Grass" as well, as I think the one, without an outline, which you are using now, sticks out from the rest of the tiles, which do have outlines.

I give the map an 8/10 as is, but when you've finished the water, it's a potential 9/10.

Good luck with your game! :)

everything this guy said. The swamp is really awesome and interesting, but needs a water color change. I thought the same thing. And yeah lily pads would be great, Kyledove has some lily pads too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back