• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Roleplaying gripes

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
We all probably like to roleplay over here, but everything you love isn't perfect. What are some things you don't enjoy about roleplaying as much?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
When players use bright text on dark backgrounds ;)

Or do you mean if there's parts of the phenomena of forum roleplaying that I don't enjoy? There aren't, I suppose. I love it. I only hate not having time or energy to sit down properly at a computer and write long nice posts more often than I do.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
Years
One of my biggest peeves in regards to forum roleplaying is NPC inconsistency between players. It's hard for me to get around when each player gives certain NPCs different personalities and speech patterns.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
One of my biggest peeves in regards to forum roleplaying is NPC inconsistency between players. It's hard for me to get around when each player gives certain NPCs different personalities and speech patterns.
Oh yeah. In Crossroads, we solved that by delegating the gym leaders to players xD I (the GM) shaped Falkner's and Bugsy's personalities, and once we get to Goldenrod someone else will be the first one to write a post as Whitney and set the tone for how she should be played.

In general though, I think this problem is best overcome by having the GM play the "NPCs". It's not always possible, or efficient, but it's the best solution I've found.

Years
Oh yeah. In Crossroads, we solved that by delegating the gym leaders to players xD I (the GM) shaped Falkner's and Bugsy's personalities, and once we get to Goldenrod someone else will be the first one to write a post as Whitney and set the tone for how she should be played.

In general though, I think this problem is best overcome by having the GM play the "NPCs". It's not always possible, or efficient, but it's the best solution I've found.

If an NPC is important enough, I ask the creators to play them where possible.

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
My main gripe is more to do with timezones than anything else. xD

Whenever an RP really kicks up all the action tends to happen when I'm either asleep or working/at school. I can't even count how many times I've checked an RP only to find that all the action was already over and there was no way for my character to have taken part.

It's nobody's fault and it can't be helped, but I would still like to grumble about it. :P

Ice1

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023

This is a good one, I'd say. It's hard to get NPC's right if you only seen them for a small amount of time. You don't have a detailed description, so it's hard to get them to align with how the original creator intended them to be

Whenever an RP really kicks up all the action tends to happen when I'm either asleep or working/at school. I can't even count how many times I've checked an RP only to find that all the action was already over and there was no way for my character to have taken part.

It's nobody's fault and it can't be helped, but I would still like to grumble about it. :P

Gimmepie solved this very well by becoming nocturnal

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
Years
One that I've run into a surprising number of times: roleplays where the GM put a lot of thought and creativity into creating a plot, but the RP itself barely gets off the ground either due to lack of participation/interest from everyone else, or everyone being busy and not having time to post. I've seen a lot of RP threads go down this way on an older forum I was a member of, and sometimes still have that extreme feeling of "what could have been," man..

Another is when the [physical] pace of the roleplay is too fast to keep up with; I've been in a couple where the other members would post so quickly that, by the time I'd finally gotten a response ready to submit, there have already been a couple others ahead of me and I'd had to go back and change up my message a bit so that it matches up with the current action. x.x And when I missed a day - or even a few hours - entirely, the others have already cranked out multiple new pages of unread material.

Ice1

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Another is when the [physical] pace of the roleplay is too fast to keep up with; I've been in a couple where the other members would post so quickly that, by the time I'd finally gotten a response ready to submit, there have already been a couple others ahead of me and I'd had to go back and change up my message a bit so that it matches up with the current action. x.x And when I missed a day - or even a few hours - entirely, the others have already cranked out multiple new pages of unread material.

I think a good way to get out of this is to join a roleplay where bigger posts are the norm, as they tend to move slower. In RP's like Gunpowder and Titans, people post around once a week, but a post is a real story, and interaction is dealt with through Joint posting via sites like etherpad. RP's that have shorter posts, and rely on a new post to show interaction, Darker Than It Seems is a good example here, are harder to keep up with. It all boils down to personal preference in the end.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
Years
I think a good way to get out of this is to join a roleplay where bigger posts are the norm, as they tend to move slower. In RP's like Gunpowder and Titans, people post around once a week, but a post is a real story, and interaction is dealt with through Joint posting via sites like etherpad. RP's that have shorter posts, and rely on a new post to show interaction, Darker Than It Seems is a good example here, are harder to keep up with. It all boils down to personal preference in the end.

I definitely couldn't have agreed more; this is exactly what I resorted to doing after a while, haha. When I got a little older, I generally grew to prefer roleplays with longer post requirements over short-format for both that reason and others. Not to mention, longer posts make for some more memorable and enjoyable reads later on.

Years
I have a hard time finding RP's that I am interested in participating in. (In truth, I have only recently joined this site and am still in search of something that piques my interest) More often than not, I wind up having to play the role of the GM of my own RP creations, but I find this to be frustrating and to be honest, I'm not well suited to keep up on such a task. I don't have the time or patience to deal with organizing everyone else and their plot posts, and keep them in theme as well.

However, when I peruse the things that other people have going on, I can't really get into it. It's not that what I see is uninteresting or unoriginal. It just generally isn't my cup of tea. I tend to look for violent, grim, and debauched RP's. More often than not, the stuff I see out there isn't sardonic and/or dark enough for me. All that notwithstanding the issue of plot and setting, of course.

The other issue that I have is that I am generally restricted from posting as graphically as I'd like to. The only RP forums that I find that have no qualms about my 'true' writing style are those of adult orientation. However, my intent is not to write smut. Since that is the general consensus in those forums, and the typical focus of posting topic is sex; I feel like I am casting pearls before swine, so to speak.

Last edited:
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 5, 2024
*points at gunpowder*

*runs off*

Spoiler:

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
I plan on eventually making an RP that's rated M for a reason to solve that problem. Not in a sexual way, but God damn it it's going to be violent, disturbing and somewhat terrifying. As I also occasionally have the issue of RPs not exactly being dark enough for my liking.

Essentially, a horror RP. Since those are very uncommon nowadays.

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023

is this still an issue? i thought it was resolved with Apotheosis' suggesting a posting order ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ might be nice to use that to prevent anyone from being left out anymore?

Back