Oh god the bees

Age 22
Male
Somewhere the rains of Africa can be blessed
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
1,059 posts
11.9 Years
I feel that it's pretty safe to say that we don't have much hacking information done on the PokéNav. I mean, some people just put it into a hack without really changing anything.

I, for one, have started to hack the little information box that appears when you scroll over a place in the map on Zoom mode.

I found a little table located at 0x623118 that controls this, although how so, I don't really know. The format is like this:
[map name ID] [00] [01 if scrolled over second half] [00] [pointer to data]

The routines that load the table start at 0x1ccd34 and 0x1ccd70.

There is a limiter byte at 0x1ccd40 that makes the first routine not work if r4 is over 0x15. The number is not the map name ID, however, so I assume that it's to make sure it passes through the routine 0x15 times, each time increasing by 1. After all, this is the routine that loads at the load of the map. I believe this routine is the checker to see which map names have a mini-map and which do not; however, I may be wrong.

The second routine, however, I know a bit more about. This one loads the map name byte and checks it against the ones in the table. It also does checks to see if it's the second half of the map name. It also has a limiter byte like the one above, this one at 0x1ccd8c. This is also, supposedly, to check how much times it's gone through the routine. After that, though, I lose track of what it does.

This is just one part of the PokéNav, though; feel free to help with any part of it.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。

Age 28
Male
Melbourne, Australia
Seen February 2nd, 2015
Posted October 28th, 2014
1,152 posts
13.9 Years
Maybe you should talk to colcolstyles, he's done some stuff with the emerald maps before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkCCuowTDQ

I've done a little bit of study on this stuff, I'll see if I can find my notes.
あなた は しきしゃ です
わたし は ばか です

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 24
Male
Sapphire City
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted October 16th, 2019
1,286 posts
11.5 Years
I don't know how, but I noticed Baro's Pokemon Quartz had a hacked PokeNav. Not much of a difference but the rotating PokeNav image was changed. Quartz is the only hack that I've seen that.
Hacks I'm working on:
(Name in Progress) My main project, actively in development
Tales of Link GBA Remake: Secondary project, developing whenever I'm able.
3rd Gen Multiplayer Project: Research and development, really just experimenting for the moment
Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White: Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.
Animal Crossing Wild World playing as an animal: experimental, messing with models and textures

Hacks I've worked on in the past:
Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline (pre-reboot) - Assisted with maps
Pokemon HeartGold Prince Boo Edition - Experimental project with three small changes. Made at the request of YouTube LPer PrinceBoo21.

Recently came to realize I know significantly less than I thought I did. Basically, years of self-taught experience amounted to very little. After seeking tutorials and help, I've become more competent, but I have a long way to go. I look forward to learning more, in the meantime, I'll call myself a beginner, not a veteran.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere

Age 21
Male
Hoenn Safari Zone
Seen 3 Weeks Ago
Posted April 17th, 2017
700 posts
10.6 Years
It's defiantly possible. I haven't hacked emerald yet, but I might still look into this.

Diegoisawesome

Oh god the bees

Age 22
Male
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
1,059 posts
11.9 Years
Since the posting of this thread, I've made major advances in hacking the PokéNav. If anybody would like me to share this info in this thread, feel free to ask.
Female
Seen October 4th, 2018
Posted January 24th, 2015
192 posts
12.3 Years
Since the posting of this thread, I've made major advances in hacking the PokéNav. If anybody would like me to share this info in this thread, feel free to ask.
I want more info. Also: Y U not on mah irc-channel?

Diegoisawesome

Oh god the bees

Age 22
Male
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
1,059 posts
11.9 Years
I want more info. Also: Y U not on mah irc-channel?
Before, I was joining whenever my PC turned on but I closed out of it so it doesn't automatically connect any more. I'll join right now if you want.

Diegoisawesome

Oh god the bees

Age 22
Male
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
1,059 posts
11.9 Years
Well, for one, I've figured out how to hack the phone to its (almost) fullest. Should I start there?
Or should I tell you how I finally managed to get what I said in the first post working?
Maybe how the order of the buttons, the palettes of the buttons, and some other things were changed?
Tell me what you'd like to know and I'll share.

giradialkia

Age 26
Male
Ireland
Seen June 9th, 2019
Posted March 25th, 2019
1,555 posts
10.7 Years
Tell me what you'd like to know and I'll share.
(At the risk of being accused of SPAMming...)

TELL US EVERYTHING YOU'VE FOUND PLEASE.

I'm working on an album of Pokémon-inspired music. Check out the Soundcloud link if you're interested!

This is my Soundcloud | | This is my bandcamp

Diegoisawesome

Oh god the bees

Age 22
Male
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
1,059 posts
11.9 Years
Well, first things first: the phone.
At 0x6252A8 is a list of pointers. Following one of these pointers will lead to some data in the order of:
[byte - type] [byte - location] [hword - flag to check if in PokéNav] [word - pointer to trainer class name] [word - pointer to name] [word - pointer to 2nd array]

2nd array:
[word - pointer to text] [hword - flag to check to see if this message should be shown] [hword - flag to set after this message is shown]... until 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF.

I'm attempting to do something else ATM, so I'll try to post more some other time.

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 24
Male
Sapphire City
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted October 16th, 2019
1,286 posts
11.5 Years
Is it possible at all to import Emerald PokeNav features to Ruby and Sapphire's Pokenav?
Hacks I'm working on:
(Name in Progress) My main project, actively in development
Tales of Link GBA Remake: Secondary project, developing whenever I'm able.
3rd Gen Multiplayer Project: Research and development, really just experimenting for the moment
Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White: Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.
Animal Crossing Wild World playing as an animal: experimental, messing with models and textures

Hacks I've worked on in the past:
Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline (pre-reboot) - Assisted with maps
Pokemon HeartGold Prince Boo Edition - Experimental project with three small changes. Made at the request of YouTube LPer PrinceBoo21.

Recently came to realize I know significantly less than I thought I did. Basically, years of self-taught experience amounted to very little. After seeking tutorials and help, I've become more competent, but I have a long way to go. I look forward to learning more, in the meantime, I'll call myself a beginner, not a veteran.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Diegoisawesome

Oh god the bees

Age 22
Male
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
1,059 posts
11.9 Years
Has anybdy found out how to use the radio function on the PokéNav for better Pokégear emulation?
What radio function on the Nav? AFAIK, there is none.
I would like to try and implement one, however.

Diegoisawesome

Oh god the bees

Age 22
Male
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
1,059 posts
11.9 Years
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant implementing a radio function to make it like the Pokégear of Johto.
I thought that was what you meant.
Nope, not yet, this'll probably be the hardest part of 'Nav hacking.

Diegoisawesome

Oh god the bees

Age 22
Male
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
1,059 posts
11.9 Years
You could do that, you would have to modify the scripts that each name links to.

I think.
Not quite. It doesn't load a script, just text.
And why would you use that if you already need it for the phone card?
Male
Seen April 12th, 2011
Posted March 31st, 2011
14 posts
8.8 Years
I was trying to give some suggestions/ideas, because i was just thinking that if you could set a trainer and make it a radio station and everytime you would call it, the broadcasting response would never be the same message over and over depending on time of day, locations, a maybe a randomness factor? And the phone card function would still be applicable at the same time in the "match call" function.

Xencleamas

Suddenly lurking in the shadows...

Male
Asgard
Seen January 21st, 2019
Posted August 7th, 2018
460 posts
5.8 Years
I know this thread is centuries old but I am going to post what I found anyways...

0x08622028: The table controls the data for CHECK inside the MATCH CALL. The size of the table is 0x4E0 bytes containing 0x10 bytes (four .word-s) per slot. There are 78 Match Call entries have CHECK function although there are 82 Match Call slots so only 4 don't have CHECK functions (they are Mr. Stone, Prof. Birch, Mom, and Scott) however I haven't found how they control these exceptions. Note that common trainers comes first before the boss trainers.
.word STRATEGY
.word TRAINERS_POKEMON
.word SELF_INTRO_LINE1
.word SELF_INTRO_LINE2
0x085500A4: The table controls the rematch data for both common and special Trainers. The size of the table is 0x4E0 bytes containing 0x10 bytes (four .word-s) per slot. Same that it only have 78 entries and I haven't found out how again these are controlled.
.hword TRAINER_INDEX
.hword TRAINER_INDEX
.hword TRAINER_INDEX
.hword TRAINER_INDEX
.hword TRAINER_INDEX
.hword 0x0000 (outerior Trainers) or 0x0018 (interior Trainers)
.word MAP_NAME_ID
These are only I can give for now. Although I'm more interested to find out how Trainer data are loaded for PokeNav and Trainer sprites as well.

Xencleamas Untitled Pokémon Fan Game (Coming Soon!) Untitled Region (Coming Soon!)
Advertiser Content