• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
The Small Writing Contest is over! Any thoughts, feelings, or regrets now that you're free from slaving away?

OMG I didn't write the longest entry this time?! My entry is "only" 3477 words and just over 5.5 pages long. :O Man, usually I completely dominate everything else in terms of length. On the sci-fi contest at Serebii last year, my entry (TRINITY: Waves) was by far the longest at 14957 words and 27 pages. Of course, for that one we had closer to a month to write whereas here we got a handful of days. Even disregarding the time crunch, my story (Three-Sixteen, or 316, 3:16, etc. I made it a point to spell out every single number for style reasons though, so the written title is the most correct one) simply would not work if it was much longer.

Overall the story went about how I had planned. The end is a compromise between the two endings I had considered, though, as the first was crap and I have no idea how it'd work, while the second was better but could be very touchy to some people. The final ending may still be touchy, but not as much.

My primary concern is two-fold, and both I've mentioned before but I'll repeat anyway. One is that I didn't utilize the prompt well enough. I do think though that I may just be stressing out over nothing here. I did use the prompt as evidenced by the title itself (which, might I add, mosty refers to three minutes and sixteen seconds rather than hours and minutes, however three hours and sixteen minutes does come into play in the story along with the more important minutes and seconds variation), however just in a different way than I imagine most people did. I'm also concerned that it simply won't be to everyone's tastes, as it deals with a topic that not everyone may appreciate (insanity) in a style and manner that may simply not do much for some people, or at worst disgust them due to the ZOMG violence and everything.

I really think I got the style and writing itself spot-on, and there's nothing I'd change there. The only thing which I would possibly change would be the ending, which is a bit anti-climatic and may not convey my intent too well. Personally, I think if I just worded it different it would be better but I couldn't come up with anything...

Feign said:
I chose a girl as a main character
I may have chosen a girl as the main character, or I may not have. I intentionally never gave the character a name or gender, allowing the reader to interpret it as they want. In some ways the character does seem a lot like a girl, though, while in other places they seem more like a boy. They're androgynous. <_<

I'm...sort of shocked with you people and those spoilers :O
Spoiler:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
The Small Writing Contest is over! Any thoughts, feelings, or regrets now that you're free from slaving away?

OMG I didn't write the longest entry this time?! My entry is "only" 3477 words and just over 5.5 pages long. :O Man, usually I completely dominate everything else in terms of length. On the sci-fi contest at Serebii last year, my entry (TRINITY: Waves) was by far the longest at 14957 words and 27 pages. Of course, for that one we had closer to a month to write whereas here we got a handful of days. Even disregarding the time crunch, my story (Three-Sixteen, or 316, 3:16, etc. I made it a point to spell out every single number for style reasons though, so the written title is the most correct one) simply would not work if it was much longer.

Overall the story went about how I had planned. The end is a compromise between the two endings I had considered, though, as the first was crap and I have no idea how it'd work, while the second was better but could be very touchy to some people. The final ending may still be touchy, but not as much.

My primary concern is two-fold, and both I've mentioned before but I'll repeat anyway. One is that I didn't utilize the prompt well enough. I do think though that I may just be stressing out over nothing here. I did use the prompt as evidenced by the title itself (which, might I add, mosty refers to three minutes and sixteen seconds rather than hours and minutes, however three hours and sixteen minutes does come into play in the story along with the more important minutes and seconds variation), however just in a different way than I imagine most people did. I'm also concerned that it simply won't be to everyone's tastes, as it deals with a topic that not everyone may appreciate (insanity) in a style and manner that may simply not do much for some people, or at worst disgust them due to the ZOMG violence and everything.

I really think I got the style and writing itself spot-on, and there's nothing I'd change there. The only thing which I would possibly change would be the ending, which is a bit anti-climatic and may not convey my intent too well. Personally, I think if I just worded it different it would be better but I couldn't come up with anything...

I may have chosen a girl as the main character, or I may not have. I intentionally never gave the character a name or gender, allowing the reader to interpret it as they want. In some ways the character does seem a lot like a girl, though, while in other places they seem more like a boy. They're androgynous. <_<

I'm...sort of shocked with you people and those spoilers :O
Spoiler:

Okay... So now we officially have one two prompt(s) XD >.>

Don't be concerned if your fic is too touchy, if people complain about it, that is there problem. In fact if you had written some kind of V for Vendetta crossover with Pokemon, I wouldn't have minded, as I know it deals with the purging of different minorities (among other things).

I suppose mine could be considered pretty cold though too, afterall

Spoiler:

Not that it doesn't have any plot however. There is still plot to it, it is just rather short, and to the point. That is what I wanted. Kind of like an abrupt ending that would make you question something, like ethics, morality or life...

I had also considered my character to be androgynous but decided not to.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
We are all fascinated with death because in the end it claims us all.
[/morbid note]

I also consider my entry as an experiment sort off because I tried to write a Pokemon battle. In the end, I don't really have high hopes on winning. It was the participation that counted. ^________^

txteclipse

The Last
Years

Well, let me say it this way. I really liked the direction I went, because it's something I've never tried before. I also liked the narrative style I chose, because it's also something I've never tried before. What I didn't like was that I put off writing the thing until the last second, and therefore had to rush through the most important part. If I had given myself more time, I think it could have been better. The pressure lent by having a deadline was probably one of the best things to happen to my writing life, however. I actually felt like I was getting something done.

And I did tear up once, on my final read-through. No spoilers for you guys, though. ;)

Have you ever written anything that made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

Oh lord. Umm...I have a couple of scenes in the Chronicles where Ren and Latias end up sleeping in close proximity (gotta be careful how I word that), for various reasons. Those are probably "d'awww" worthy.

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Hmmm, why is it that the majority of us tried something new this time around? (especially when whilst we'd experiment, we'd have less time to complete it).

We're a strange bunch we are!

Years
Well it was my first work that I've finished and posted, so I guess that I also tried something new.

Bay said to mention in here that I PMed my entry to Gummy, but didn't necessarily announce its completion in the other thread.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Well it was my first work that I've finished and posted, so I guess that I also tried something new.

Bay said to mention in here that I PMed my entry to Gummy, but didn't necessarily announce its completion in the other thread.

Hmm, might have been the other thread, though that one is closed now. I believe it was just for the purpose of affirmation, that you indeed sent it in.

txteclipse

The Last
Years

*Claps on back* Welcome to the club! We have jackets! They're invisible, though, so you have to find yours.

In that case, I also have completed and PM'ed my contest entry, The Perfect Team. I kinda figured that was a given, but if Bay said to do it, I'd better follow suit.

Years
Hmm, might have been the other thread, though that one is closed now. I believe it was just for the purpose of affirmation, that you indeed sent it in.
Indeed. Why, some cruel person could have hijacked my account and posted a sub-par narrative to make me look like a fool.

As I said before, it's my first piece, so I'm curious as to what others think of my writing style...

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Hmmm, why is it that the majority of us tried something new this time around? (especially when whilst we'd experiment, we'd have less time to complete it).

Writer's and literary scholars are just as complex and weird as artists or art scholars. We can't stand bad grammar they can't stand colouring outside the lines. [/metaphor]

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Writer's and literary scholars are just as complex and weird as artists or art scholars. We can't stand bad grammar they can't stand colouring outside the lines. [/metaphor]

Well for the latter, they could excuse it as being an artistic style, while for us writers, we'd just be considered lazy.

Well good on us for all taking risks!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Well for the latter, they could excuse it as being an artistic style, while for us writers, we'd just be considered lazy.

Well good on us for all taking risks!
On the topic of laziness:
Procrastination rules! XD

And yeah, I've dwelved into art before and I'm still trying to draw Manga. It's harder than it looks and it didn't look that easy to begin with.

Would you have taken the risk if money was at stake?

On that note, I was experimenting with writing this time.

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years

Hear, hear. But I write fan-fics and draw art so I can't stand bad gammer or colouring outside the lines?

So who won the short writing contest anyway? Or don't you know?

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Actually, bad grammar and even spelling could also be considered a specific style for us writers. In some cases, namely those where the story is represented as being written by a character inside the story, such as if it's diary or journal or something, having imperfect grammar can sometimes be for the best if it suits the character who "wrote" it. Dialogue is another point, as grammar and spelling can and should take a backseat in dialogue to the character's specific manner of speech.

Three-Sixteen is presented as being the writing of the main character, something which is somewhat hinted at at first due to the style and then outright given at the end. As such, the language I use throughout it is deliberately different from my normal writing. Long sentences that verge on and sometimes go right over into run-on territory are pretty common throughout, as are metaphors and "fancy" word choice that may seem a bit over the top.

And this brings me to another concern. I hope to god the judges don't dock me points for having imperfect grammar and stuff in places where I very well may have done it intentionally. I can only hope they'll see it as being part of the style I used and be able to separate the true errors from the intended ones.

Years
I assume the reviews will take a while. On that note, how long were everyone's entries? Mine was around 2500 words, if I remember right. I don't have access to it right now.

EDIT: 2366 Words.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I assume the reviews will take a while. On that note, how long were everyone's entries? Mine was around 2500 words, if I remember right. I don't have access to it right now.

EDIT: 2366 Words.
Exactly 3331 words. 8 pages of Tahoma Size 10 font written in 4 days. That was the shortest period o time I've ever had to complete a fic.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Hi people!

Got back home from my ineludible Family Event. I'm no longer about to ave a mental breakdown over the SWC (let's see how long that lasts).

My my, looks like the Lounge has returned to its usual level of activity! That's good-- I mean, I have to get up to date!

Thank Arceus I did not enter the drawing contest!

I certainly felt I made a mistake by submitting my work about eight hours too early, time I could have used to have someone look over it, help me correct mistakes or something. However, now that I think about it, I know my grammar sucks period [sic] and I know if I went postal trying to check and improve it I would end up fed with the contest and with my story so I decided to simply put the best grammar check I could, stop there and fous only on the story (and the use of the plot). I now think that by limiting myself to only what I could do and what I originally intended to do with the story I enjoyed the contest and the weekend overall.

Yes, I am happy. Not that it's going to last but hey! Maybe I can try some computer science puns later.

There is only one little problem, however: as soon as I got home I could stop writing. Some of my plot bunnies managed to find a way to paper ODT as of now. Plus I just got off dinner (with a birthday cake) and I'm quite thirsty...

It definitively doesn't apply here, but there was this time when I was asked to write a report about a project where me and some friend-colleagues spent the entire weekend locked at college, in the simulation facilities' cluster area. Oh pizza...

Fanfiction? No, I'm bad at warmness.

Getting up to date...

My work is circa 4500 words long. Eight pages or so? Anyways, in the beginning it was much shorter (about 2000 words) and then it became immensely huge for my standards (7000 words) so I had to do some plot magic. I instantly remembered icomeanon6's Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure's insta-plot-holes while doing so!

Also, sorry but no death in my case. And no horrific stuff happening to the protagonists, not even implying death or something like that. I like life and open areas. Yupi me.

Spoiler:
What is going with all of you people?????

My work had no humans, although humanity is strongly implied and also implicitly tied to Pokémon's measure of time. I took the timeIncrediblyLamePun to play with the different facets and definitions of the Prompt Word to try and show how even for Pokémon the perception of time can greatly differ.

There were two main (and essentially only) characters: Arcanine and Rapidash. There's also some Johto'ism implied but not much. Time is observed by the protagonists from very different angles:
Spoiler:

All in all, for a simple prompt I got quite overloaded. It helped that the end scene I had already projected but I had no idea how to build a story around it. Then lucky me found a thread about contest. :D

Oh whatever...

Feign said:

Yes We Are.

I tried something that I had never done before and finally succeeded: a One-Shot. Seriously! I had to focus myself into keeping the story only one plot long. No cliffhangers, no continuending... god, No Backstory! -- nothing that could made my "Add New Chapter" sense tingle, except for the very last line of my work. It was also my first time trying Pokémon-only POV and a shifting third person subjective narrative, since I'm more of a third person objective kind of guy.

txteclipse said:
*Claps on back* Welcome to the club! We have jackets! They're invisible, though, so you have to find yours.
You have invisible jackets in your club???? Maybe fedoras too? Darn I now know I have to finish "Sixth"! :D

SWC Thread Closed...

Gummy specified the reviews may take about two weeks, so we're free until then.

Mizan, what with the random bolds?

And yeah, I wrote a lot, as I have much to catch up to.

BTW, Bolded Topics Index is almost ready. I decided not to put the bold topics from July onwards until I know the index will be welcome and I can trace BT's from 2008 more easily. But despair not! Astinus' baboons and the Musical *will* be indexed!

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
Wow, lots of writing. I hate my small posts, that's probably why I suck at writing heaps long chapters but I'm going good with my current one 1668 words, a new record for me.

Anyway:
No because I pefer dark fanfics. (Look at my current one!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back