• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mini-Review Challenge (December '11)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
FF&W has been lacking in reviews, and a fun way to get members to review is by having a challenge! We'll be running a mini-review challenge for the first two weeks of December.

How does it work?
Interested in taking part? All you have to do is sign up in this thread using the form posted below. Then, starting on December 1st (your time zone, whatever that may be), you can begin reviewing any story or poem posted here in FF&W. Just be sure to keep the section's rules in mind.

This means that your reviews need to be constructive. Don't just post "like ur story! it was good!" Point out specifics about the story you're reviewing, mentioning what you liked or didn't like. If your review can be posted to every story in this forum and make sense, it won't count for this challenge.

Use your post in this thread to keep track of your reviews. Just link to them so we can double-check everything.

Authors, if you would like a particular reviewer to read your story, check out their profile to find out how to contact them and ask them nicely. If we find out that you're pestering for reviews, it will be noted and no one will review your story for the challenge.

How Many Reviews?
This is a mini-challenge, so the amount of reviews needed to complete it is lowered. You just need to post 10 reviews between December 1st and December 15th in order to complete the challenge.

What do you get?
Aside from the satisfaction of bringing activity to FF&W and reviews to the authors here, you also get this emblem:

ReviewersEmblem.jpg

The Form
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Best Way to Contact:[/b]
[b]Review Style:[/b]
[b]Reviews:[/b]

Reviewers
AlexOzzyCake [Finished!]
Bay Alexison [Finished!]
bobandbill [Finished!]
Cutlerine
icomeanon6
Impo
Misheard Whisper
Palladium
psyanic

Previous Reviewing Challenges
April 2011
February 2011

Last edited by a moderator:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Why the heck not? I'm keen. I posted first, why am I last on the list? oh wait it's alphabetical. >_>

Name: Misheard Whisper
Best Way to Contact: VM
Review Style: Fairly comprehensive. I tend to focus on plot, characters and use of tone/mood/narrative. I tend to do stream-of-consciousness type reviews as I read.
Reviews:
1. New Bark and Beyond - Chapter 1: New Region, New Friends, New Rivals by Cardwell74
2. The Sisters' Paths by Kamiya-chan (The sum of my contributions to the thread probably constitutes a review, even if I don't get bonus points for the etiquette advice.)
3. A Stoner's Strength by Wolfwhispers
4. The Fall to Redemption [PG-13] by Cypher DS
5. Drowning [PG-13] by IanDonyer
6. The Orusa Adventures (R:Teen) by Oz37
7. Thoughts Upon Passing by SuperTrainStation
8. Scythe and Sickle (Rated PG-16) by SeekerOfDarkness (who I am really tempted to let autocorrect have its way with)
9. A Stoner's Strength, Chapter Whatever by Wolfwhispers
10. A Stoner's Strength, Chapter Whatever+1 by Wolfwhispers

Last edited:

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
Do I have time to do this? Most definitely not! Will I do it? Of course!

Name: Cutlerine
Review Style: A little bit of everything, really. Grammar/spelling, logic, narrative flow, plot, characters... Whatever strikes me as necessary to be said.
Reviews:
1. The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova (apenpaap)
2. A Stoner's Strength (Wolfwhispers)
2. The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova (Chapter Eight) (apenpaap)
7. Something's Got to Give (Misheard Whisper)
Q. The Fall to Redemption (Cypher DS)
Banana. White Heart Black Bones (OpenDoorLeia)
FLCL. A Stoner's Strength (Chapter ??) (Wolfwhispers)
1,972. ROOTS (Haruka of Hoenn)
9. Something's Got to Give (Chapter 2) (Misheard Whisper)
^_^ The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova (Chapters Nine & Ten) (apenpaap)

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I actually have holidays now. This can only mean one thing.

Name: bobandbill I think
Best Way to Contact: VM, don't mind PMs either.
Review Style: I'll say what I like and don't like on whatever comes to mind when I read it basically (be it plot, characters, description, events, etc), and mention any instances of misspellings/grammatical errors and how to fix them.
Reviews:
1: New Bark and Beyond- Chapter 1: New Region, New Friends, New Rivals, Cardwell74
2: How, frawst
3: Pikabowser Attempts Poetry, Pikabowser123
4. Rhyming Stories: The Barboach Who Can't Make Its Mind, angelomanalo
5. Marowak- The Avenger, Volcanix769
6. The Orusa Adventures, Oz37
7. Thoughts Upon Passing, SuperTrainStationH
8. Faded Glory, Aisu
9. War (Teeze's Poetry), Snivy063
10. Lost, darkpokeball

Last edited:

Bay

Years
I want to get back to reviewing Pokemon fics again, so going to do this challenge.

Name: Bay Alexison
Review Style: I tend to just say my overall thoughts on the chapter/story as I read it, but I tend to say quite a bit on plot and characterization. I won't say too much on grammar though as that's not my strong point in writing.
Reviews:
1. White Heart Black Bones- Prologue and Chapter 1 (OpenDoorLeia)
2. Drowning- Prologue (IanDonyer)
3. The Fall to Redemption- Prologue and Chapter 1 (Cypher DS)
4. White Heart Black Bones- Chapter 2 (OpenDoorLeia)
5. Thoughts Upon Passing- One Shot (SuperTrainStationH)
6. POKéMON Ruby Destiny- Prologue and Chapter 1 (destinedjagold)
7. Faded Glory- Chapter 1 (Aisu)
8. Rhyming Stories: A Silly Snorlax- Poem (angelomanalo)
9. White Hearts Black Bones- Chapter 2 (OpenDoorLeia)
10. Faded Glory- Chapter 2 (Aisu)

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
D*mn the finals! Full speed ahead!

Name: icomeanon, or Anon if you prefer.
Best Way to Contact: PM
Review Style: I tend to focus on how well realized the characters, settings, and events are, and how well everything flows. I'm also not too shabby with picking apart grammar and writing mechanics.
Reviews:

1. White Heart Black Bones - OpenDoorLeia
  2. Drowning - IanDonyer
  3. The Nine Tales - TheBowsinator
  4. White Heart Black Bones, chapter 2 - OpenDoorLeia
  5. Parallel Process - The Silph Co. Heist - q11e
  6. razayka - an illegible mess. (That's not my comment, that's just the author's username.)
  7. White Heart Black Bones, chapter 3 - OpenDoorLeia
  8. Something's Got To Give - Misheard Whisper
  9. Scythe and Sickle - SeekerOfDarkness
  10. Something's Got To Give, chapter 3 - Misheard Whisper

Last edited:

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Name: Psyanic
Best Way to Contact: PM/VM
Review Style: Grammar Nazi, stickler for plot/characters, anything else. I just do a bit of everything. Anything else just comes to mind.
Reviews:
1.The Sister's Path - Kamiya Chan
2.Red - Kirbyxox
3.Blazon and Team Alpha - Luigimario84
4.The Fall to Redemption - Cypher DS
5.Pokemon in Real Life - TheFattestSnorlax
6.Life and Times of Kira - Soul Saint
7.Forever Changed - TrueBolt
8.Desolate - Zapdos926
9.Bob's Life in School - Volcanix769
10.The new Hedgehog Trio-Mephile's Return - Juniebug910

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Wish I'd seen this earlier, this area of the forum is one I've always wanted to get involved in but never had an excuse.

Name: AlexOzzyCake
Best Way to Contact: PM, VM, IRC or IM - check my "About Me" for details.
Review Style: Obsessed with spelling and grammar, interested in character development, mindful of mechanisms and technique. Poems are another strong interest and they way they relay messages in different ways to different people.
Reviews:
1. The Fish Bowl (-Ty-)
2. POKéMON Ruby Destiny [M] [15+] (Destinedjagold)
3. Wobbufett (Pixel)
4. Roar of Time (Diamond1304)
5. Dark Legends (The Author)
6. A Silly Snorlax (Angelomanalo)
7. How? (Frawst)
8. Somewhere (Misheard Whisper)
9. Lost (DarkPokeball)
10. No Whole Reflection (DayDream)

All finished! I'd just like to say, thank you for creating this challenge, I'd never realised how interesting poetry could be to review and contemplate. And some people really have created awe inspiring poetry. I definitely intend to keep doing this after the challenge! It is a shame to see the inactivity in this section though, hopefully this challenge will inspire more writers to come forth!

Last edited:

Bay

Years
And once again Bay is able to finish a review challenge! XD I might be able to do a couple more reviews before the 15th and if so I'll edit my sign up post and this post. I need to catch up reading other fics from other places besides here and writing, though. >.>;

Palladium

2012 FTW!
Years
Still got 5 days to roll,so

Name: Palladium (but answer by Pallie and DJBird too)
Best Way to Contact: VM/PM hit me with your best shot, I don't really mind ^_^
Review Style: I point what I like and what I don't like out, talk about description, character development and some screaming typing/grammar mistakes (but not much as I'm not very good at the latter)
Reviews:
1. Rayzaka's Book : Original One by an illegible mess
2. How? by frawst
3. Rhyming Stories: A Silly Snorlax by angelomanalo
4.A Wynaut's Novel by angelomanalo
5.No Whole Reflection by Daydream
6.Moth by Trance and Moss
7.Gardevoir: Always There: A Poem by Steller the Raichu
8.Wobbuffet (Pixels can write too) by Pixel
9.Rhyming Stories: The Barboach Who Can't Make Its Mind by angelomanalo
10.Dark Legends by The Author

And so I've finished!!
Thank God that's over, now I'm only 11 poems away of a happy December ^_^

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Wish I'd seen this earlier, this area of the forum is one I've always wanted to get involved in but never had an excuse.

Name: AlexOzzyCake
Best Way to Contact: PM, VM, IRC or IM - check my "About Me" for details.
Review Style: Obsessed with spelling and grammar, interested in character development, mindful of mechanisms and technique. Poems are another strong interest and they way they relay messages in different ways to different people.
Reviews:
1. The Fish Bowl (-Ty-)
2. POKéMON Ruby Destiny [M] [15+] (Destinedjagold)
3. Wobbufett (Pixel)
4. Roar of Time (Diamond1304)
5. Dark Legends (The Author)
6. A Silly Snorlax (Angelomanalo)
7. How? (Frawst)
8. Somewhere (Misheard Whisper)
9. Lost (DarkPokeball)
10. No Whole Reflection (DayDream)

All finished! I'd just like to say, thank you for creating this challenge, I'd never realised how interesting poetry could be to review and contemplate. And some people really have created awe inspiring poetry. I definitely intend to keep doing this after the challenge! It is a shame to see the inactivity in this section though, hopefully this challenge will inspire more writers to come forth!

The above person posted their completed list, so I thought I might too... My sentiments are in the above quote, and once again, thanks for this challenge!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The above person posted their completed list, so I thought I might too... My sentiments are in the above quote, and once again, thanks for this challenge!
Congrats, and you should have your emblem now. =) And yeah, we brought the review challenge in to bring some more activity to FF&W again, particularly after a very quiet November (Nano is partly to blame arguably =p). Hopefully it'll carry on afterwards!

I've also finished btw *motions to post above*, so yay. \o/

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Name: Psyanic
Best Way to Contact: PM/VM
Review Style: Grammar Nazi, stickler for plot/characters, anything else. I just do a bit of everything. Anything else just comes to mind.
Reviews:
1.The Sister's Path - Kamiya Chan
2.Red - Kirbyxox
3.Blazon and Team Alpha - Luigimario84
4.The Fall to Redemption - Cypher DS
5.Pokemon in Real Life - TheFattestSnorlax
6.Life and Times of Kira - Soul Saint
7.Forever Changed - TrueBolt
8.Desolate - Zapdos926
9.Bob's Life in School - Volcanix769
10.The new Hedgehog Trio-Mephile's Return - Juniebug910

Finished my review challenge! I'm so proud of... myself. It did its job though; FF&W has gotten a lot more active these past 10 days or so. Cheers!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Congratulations, psyanic! Enjoy your new emblem.

And yes, this challenge did bring some needed activity to FF&W.

A small reminder while I'm here: The challenge will be ending soon. You only have a few short days to get in your final reviews!

Or to sign up and do the challenge in a few short days. Whichever.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Why the heck not? I'm keen. I posted first, why am I last on the list? oh wait it's alphabetical. >_>

Name: Misheard Whisper
Review Style: Fairly comprehensive. I tend to focus on plot, characters and use of tone/mood/narrative. I tend to do stream-of-consciousness type reviews as I read.
Reviews:
1. New Bark and Beyond - Chapter 1: New Region, New Friends, New Rivals by Cardwell74
2. The Sisters' Paths by Kamiya-chan (The sum of my contributions to the thread probably constitutes a review, even if I don't get bonus points for the etiquette advice.)
3. A Stoner's Strength by Wolfwhispers
4. The Fall to Redemption [PG-13] by Cypher DS
5. Drowning [PG-13] by IanDonyer
6. The Orusa Adventures (R:Teen) by Oz37
7. Thoughts Upon Passing by SuperTrainStation
8. Scythe and Sickle (Rated PG-16) by SeekerOfDarkness (who I am really tempted to let autocorrect have its way with)
9. A Stoner's Strength, Chapter Whatever by Wolfwhispers
10. A Stoner's Strength, Chapter Whatever+1 by Wolfwhispers
Aaaaand done! I wanted to be the first to finish, but I guess I should just be glad I finished at all. I've not managed to do one of these before.

That said, I'm all up for a full one through January, although that'll be the last month I have free for a while. :3

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
We have small plans for January.

To divert your attention, your emblem is on the way, Misheard.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
And emblem sent, Cutlerine! I loved seeing "banana" used as a number again.

Back