• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What time of day are you most motivated to write?

Years
I'm sure many of us have preferences on the best times to write stories, and times where we're most creative & overflowing with ideas. What about you guys? When is your most 'creative' time and when do you prefer to write in general? =)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I don't have a time of day. Just when I get the bug and the urge.

Mornings, ie, earlier in the day, generally though.

Bay

Years
On weeknights I tend to write late in night after I get some things taken care of and my mind cleared out for a bit. On weekends I can write anytime I have the opportunity to do so. I haven't tired writing in mornings before starting my day, maybe I should try that sometime.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Strangely enough, late evenings or night time. I'm generally a morning/day person and not a night owl, but I seem to write best when the day is over and writing is all I need to focus on :)

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
it's odd. i don't really..have a specific time that i write? most of the time i think it's either in the afternoon or late at night, if i remember correctly. i just write when i get the itch to write.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I don't think I really have a time per say it's more of a I usually wanna write when I can't....like when I'm at work or driving.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
More often than not I get my writing urges when I'm unable to write due to work or other responsibilities. I've tried writing at those times anyways, but it just doesn't really work out. The only other time I feel like writing is when I'm getting ready to go to sleep because I realize I'll only be getting a few hours in if I go to sleep right at that moment.

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
Years
It depends on the day and how tired I am, but typically in the morning through the afternoon. That said, I have had inspiration strike in the evening and plot bunnies that took until the wee hours of the morning to banish. I do keep a notepad app on hand for those 2 AM flashes of inspiration.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
I don't have a set time, save for a certain time on Saturday, but that's for whatever is writing related for me so not just writing things but also editing, transferring and other stuff like that.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've had ideas at all sorts of hours. A lot of my writing has happened at evenings/at night, but also for instance with my first fic I spent maybe an half-hour to hour each morning to finish off the last few chapters between uni semesters, and that worked fairly well. (I probably should try something like that again...) That was maybe a bit more forceful than natural motivation, but hey, it worked.

Years
I used to write at night more often than during the day but over the past year that's shifted as I've had more important things to do during the night.

Years
I'm an all day and all night writer. I do best at night though, I think, and I'm worst at... six am? Maybe even five am? But I don't get up that early - I stay up that late. That's when my brain starts to fizzle and I think that 'Harold uncorked his mother's ear and looked inside to discover his missing lover Blimblamahildatilda' is a good follow-up sentence to 'The 8th District was on the outskirts of a No-Go Area, automatically making it a haunt of the shady and the destitute'.

Eleven pm is always a great time to write, though.

Years
While ideas come to me all the time, I prefer I'm only motivated to write them down at evening or at night before I go to bed.

Back