• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Personality Quiz

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
Traditionally, most of the Mystery Dungeon games start out with a personality quiz to determine which Pokémon suits the player most. How did you guys feel about this feature? Did you tend to stick with whatever the game gave you, or did you find yourself resetting a lot? Discuss! ^^

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I almost always got Pikachu, which is who I wanted, so it worked for me...!

I think first time I played I got Squirtle, though, so I just picked Pikachu as my partner, ahaha.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
I genuinely adored the mystical vibe that the personality quiz gave off, but I admittedly always rigged my answers to get Bulbasaur, haha. I really like how Super Mystery Dungeon lets you take the quiz as normal, while still allowing you to change your starter if you didn't like what you ended up with. Players can get the best of both worlds that way! :D

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I take the quiz honestly the first time, then if I'm unhappy with what the game chooses, I'll retake it a couple times or go online and search the answers for the Pokemon I want.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Now, the personality quiz, quite an interesting mechanic if you ask me...

Back in an emulated EoT, as partner I decided to opt for torchic
Spoiler:
as for the personality test... well, our selves are quite an intricate dilemma that's hard to
investigate, between what's true and what's ideal... the first result I ever got was
Spoiler:
One ought consider that the outcome might also vary depending on the game :
we have personality tests for R&B RTs, EoT/D, EoS and SMD, I'm not too fond of the personality
test in the latter(actually, now I think I'm mildly interested...)because, you see, there's a set of questions
determining a personality, all of them having 2 answers only, then there's a two extra questions, picked
depending on the resulting personality, one determining your species and the other determining thy partner,
and both are based off PREFERENCES, the ones which I have difficulties showing >w< (woooobbuffet!!!).
There's also a final question, whether you wish thy partner to be cool or cute, but that just
determines whether the partner will be XX or XY, so that's irrelevant...
Oh, I found a take on the SMD personality test that includes every possible question,
my most likely outcomes tend to be piplup, snivy & fennekin.

Anyway, even if we disagree with the results provided by personality tests, they do,
help us think about our inner selves, and it's fun to ponder which pokémon suit us
or other people the most, based on multiple traits... thinking about it, I've read someone
got pikachu as result in a PMD game by thinking what answers Ashy-boi would give.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 5, 2023
Now, the personality quiz, quite an interesting mechanic if you ask me...

Back in an emulated EoT, as partner I decided to opt for torchic
Spoiler:

as for the personality test... well, our selves are quite an intricate dilemma that's hard to
investigate, between what's true and what's ideal... the first result I ever got was
Spoiler:

One ought consider that the outcome might also vary depending on the game :
we have personality tests for R&B RTs, EoT/D, EoS and SMD, I'm not too fond of the personality
test in the latter(actually, now I think I'm mildly interested...)because, you see, there's a set of questions
determining a personality, all of them having 2 answers only, then there's a two extra questions, picked
depending on the resulting personality, one determining your species and the other determining thy partner,
and both are based off PREFERENCES, the ones which I have difficulties showing >w< (woooobbuffet!!!).
There's also a final question, whether you wish thy partner to be cool or cute, but that just
determines whether the partner will be XX or XY, so that's irrelevant...
Oh, I found a take on the SMD personality test that includes every possible question,
my most likely outcomes tend to be piplup, snivy & fennekin.

Anyway, even if we disagree with the results provided by personality tests, they do,
help us think about our inner selves, and it's fun to ponder which pok?mon suit us
or other people the most, based on multiple traits... thinking about it, I've read someone
got pikachu as result in a PMD game by thinking what answers Ashy-boi would give.
I got a totodile my first time as well! I went with Treecko for a partner! Although I'm female, I chose the male option at the end of the test (I was going through a hyper tom boy phase, go fig) If I'd chosen female, I would have gotten munchlax. Actually, I wouldn't have minded that much, though-playing as non starters always fascinated me. Chikorita will always be my favorite starter (Like you with Torchic, he was my first pokemon ever in my first pokemon game) So even though I got Squirtle (My fav gen one starter, and fav period before I knew of Chikorita's existance, I had already had my heart set on Chikorita and went with her.) And I chose Torchic!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 20, 2019
I always found these tests super interesting and a fun little twist to the standard intro in pokemon games. I've somehow gotten different answers every time I've played through EoD (probably because of the long intervals of time between proper playthroughs) although I did get a pikachu the first time around and it was exactly what I wanted

Years
I LOVEDD the personality quiz. The Mystery Dungeon games are easily my favourite games of all time.

Anyways, when I first got Explorers of Time, I would take the personality for literally hours until I got the pokemon I desired. Moreover, I would take almost as long choosing my partner pokemon and deciding on their name. As you can tell, I'm incredibly indecisive.

Let's just say I took the quizzes very seriously.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I LOVEDD the personality quiz. The Mystery Dungeon games are easily my favourite games of all time.

Anyways, when I first got Explorers of Time, I would take the personality for literally hours until I got the pokemon I desired. Moreover, I would take almost as long choosing my partner pokemon and deciding on their name. As you can tell, I'm incredibly indecisive.

Let's just say I took the quizzes very seriously.

This is exactly my answer, haha!

I did tend to dawdle on the quizzes, because I'd reset every time until I was happy! Yup, I cheated. It's hard getting non-starter personalities, okay! ^_^;

But yeah, I loved the quizzes! Like Ninetales, I always took them seriously.

Last edited:
Back